Mals Blog- US Masters

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Malossar
Something Cool

Mals Blog- US Masters

#1 Post by Malossar »

The Dragon Prince Death Star is on the back burner for the moment. In 10 game i enjoyed a record of 9-1 with the only loss coming to our own HERO and his vampire counts.

Lords: 610

Prince Malossar - 282
-B. Steed, Dragon Armor, Shield, Giant Blade, Dawn Stone, Enchanted shield, Pot of Fools

Archmage Talossar - 325 (Lore of High Magic)
-Level 4, Book of Hoeth, Khaine's Ring of Fury, Elven Steed, Dragon Bane Gem

Heroes: 176

Noble Enkago - 176
-Shield, B. Steed, Dragon Armor, Great Weapon
-Star Lance, Dragon Helm, Golden Crown

Core: 625

5x Reavers w. Bows and Spears - 95
5x Reavers w. Spears - 80
10x Silver Helms w. Full Command - 260

Special: 468

12x Dragon Princes - 468
-Full Command, Banner of the World Dragon, Ogre Blade

Rare: 620

Frost Phoenix
Frost Phoenix
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Total: 2498

The Latest List:

Prince - 614
-Star Dragon, Heavy Armor, Shield
-Ogre Blade, Dragon Helm, Other Tricksters Shard, Golden Crown

Noble - 170
-BsB, Elven Steed w. Ilthimar Barding, Dragon Armor
-Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might, Dawnstone

Mage - 145
-Level 2, Lore of High Magic, Dispel Scroll

9x Silver Helms w. FC - 237
10x Archers w. Banner - 110

21x White Lions w. FC, Banner of Swiftness - 318

Frost Phoenix
Frost Phoenix
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower

Feel free to leave a comment!

I hope you enjoy this blog and thank you for reading.
Last edited by Malossar on Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 92 times in total.
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Malossar
Something Cool

Re: Reforging -- Mal's 8th Edition Beginning

#2 Post by Malossar »

Army Shots:

Malossar Dragonborne:

Battle Standard Bearer:

Mage:

Loremaster (used as Malossar since I liked the conversion so much when the dragon gets cannoballed):

Cannoball Catcher Noble:

Phoenixes:

Reavers:

Silver Helms:

Dragon Princes:

Banner of the world Dragon:

Unit Filler:

Army Shots:

Please Leave a Comment!
Last edited by Malossar on Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:55 am, edited 8 times in total.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#3 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

You don't play the scenarios? Doesn't that get boring?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Malossar
Something Cool

#4 Post by Malossar »

Oh yeah we play every scenario....

that's why i commented on keeping the extra banner on the helms for B&G ;)
Malossar
Something Cool

#5 Post by Malossar »

Here's the list I'll be trying out this weekend. Its a big change from the Eagle Prince to a Cavalry Prince. We'll see how it pans out. After pressure from jwg20 and a local friend i'm willing to give it a go!

Prince - 282
-B.Steed, Dragon Armor, Enchanted Shield, Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Potion of Foolhardiness

Archmage - 295 (Lore of Life)
-Level 4, Book of Hoeth, Elven Steed

Noble - 178
-Battle Standard, B.Steed, Dragon Armor, Great Weapon, Shield
-Star Lance, Dragon Helm, Golden Crown

6x Reavers w. Bows and Spears, Musician - 124
10x Silver Helms w. Shield, Full Command - 260

10x Dragon Princes - 410
-Full Command, Banner of the World Dragon, Ogre Blade

Lion Chariot
Frost Phoenix
Frost Phoenix
Great Eagle
Great Eagle

Thoughts? I think Life made more sense than high magic. The archmage is shooting for regrowth which would have a greater impact on the dragon prince bus by keeping bodies alive and not just hoping for an increased ward save. I also still have the threats from dwellers and flesh to stone. However, it would be the first thing i would change with the list. I keep flip flopping between high and life. I guess we'll find out after a test game or two.

I originally had planned for 2 additional lion chariots but was actually 197 over on points. After dropping 2 chariots i realized i had that weird 43 points left over and opted to take the ogre blade on the dragon prince champion...

I am still considering dropping a phoenix in place for those last 2 chariots.

Thanks.

~ Malossar
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: Reforging -- Mal's Double Phoenix, Dragon Prince Bus

#6 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The Lion Chariot seems out of place, heh, he's also the slowest thing on the field =P
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Larose
Chronicler

#7 Post by Larose »

I have a soft spot for the lion chariot and it always seems to slaughter whatever it runs in to, for me anyway... Now it's stubborn? Haha yes :twisted:
Shadowy member of The Mage Knight Guild

Attack when they are unprepared, make your move when they least expect it.

Only in your darkest hour, will you triumph over true evil.
cptcosmic

#8 Post by cptcosmic »

Malossar Dragonborne wrote: Thoughts? I think Life made more sense than high magic. The archmage is shooting for regrowth which would have a greater impact on the dragon prince bus by keeping bodies alive and not just hoping for an increased ward save. I also still have the threats from dwellers and flesh to stone. However, it would be the first thing i would change with the list. I keep flip flopping between high and life. I guess we'll find out after a test game or two.
go for high magic. dragon princes have 6+ ward which would stack very nicely with high magic and you can one dice alot of spells from that lore. the opposing player will be hard pressed to dispel enough spells to prevent the ward stacks and in the case of low wind of magic rolls you could still one dice some spells and get some benefits out of it.
jwg20

#9 Post by jwg20 »

I agree with high, but for a different reason. Life has been around a long time, and its been figured out. We just got a new lore. At least playtest it before dismissing it!!! Besides, lore of life is a boring, boring lore, and is easy to defend against. Finally, lore of life, because it has some pretty high casting values, feels the presence of the book much less than many other lores.

Also, why ogre blade?? If you can find 7 points you can take the obsidian blade, which I think will be more useful. It will give you another can opener. S5, even S5 all the time is not that fantastic. If you are going to spend that many points on a magic item for a unit where, ideally you don't want anything to survive the charge, I think its a waste of points. The obsidian blade makes the unit that much scarier vs heavy cav.

Also, why 6 reavers? They are too big to be a completely sacrificial unit, and the extra body doesn't add much versatility to me. If you want a full 6, take a champ in each unit so you can at least tarpit a solo character for a turn by charging/challenging and then having your unit retain steadfast. 6 solo doesn't do much but give your opponent more of a reward for shooting them, which he will be doing anyway if he has any shooting.

And no RBTs? What is your plan for daemon princes? Sending your princes into them isn't bad since he can't wound you with his magical attacks, but you also won't deal much damage to him since he will just challenge and you will probably have to accept with your cavalry prince (prince hits the daemon prince on 5s, no re rolls, and you leave him with a 5+/5++ still and you don't have OTS). You charge his prince with your DP bus and you won't kill him in your round even if he doesn't challenge, opening yourself up to counter charges by chariots and such which can break your non-stubborn unit. If that happens, you pretty much lost the game, since that is a lot of points in one unit. Charging him with a bus that houses all your characters should be the LAST resort, ideally you want to bring him down before you have to get to combat, or otherwise keep him hiding from bolts.
Link to my YouTube Channel:
NightHawk45

#10 Post by NightHawk45 »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:The Lion Chariot seems out of place, heh, he's also the slowest thing on the field =P
This made me laught because it's also faster than almost everything in the dwarf army book.

I also don't really like life with this list. I also have issues with the book of hoeth and the lore of life. It seems to lose some of it's power. Regrowth isn't as powerful when casting on calvary. Flesh to stone is great though. I also would recommend High Magic. It seems to flow more easily. You can also heal d3 which helps when taking a lot of multi-wound models.
Marinero

#11 Post by Marinero »

Hi, I am writing from my iPhone, so will be brief.
I like the list, lion chariot is great, test it. I am also in favor of high magic. The dispel scroll may be better than the book if you have a single magical user. Reavers with bows and spears may prove inefficient - it may be a better idea to take a mix of units with bows and units with spears. Or you can add a unit of archers
Malossar
Something Cool

#12 Post by Malossar »

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll be giving high magic it's fair chance, honestly I felt like it could be more of a toss up with life being great to keep characters healed, provide a regen save, possible dwellers and hopefully a regrowth or two. Th other advantage was being able to keep characters healed instead of hoping i get apotheosis.

I don't think The Other Tricksters shard is worth it on the prince.... And trust me i considered it. If I do manage to get a spell or two off... Do I really want to be rerolling my own ward saves in the dragon prince bus?

Yes Daemon Princes suck, but where so I find the points to bring in bolt throwers? Is it dropping a Phoenix and bringing in 3? I've considered it, or dropping the eagles and filling out the rare section with 2...

I'm open to any suggestions on fleshing out my shooting phase.

Thanks!
jwg20

#13 Post by jwg20 »

Lion chariot will buy you two RBTs if u also drop ogre blade, so that's one option.

Also, the OTS is something I find mandatory now. WoC as you know can get a BSB with a 3+ ward and re roll 1s for ward saves.

Basically, I think your list looks good but it hasn't taken WoC into account. The typical WoC list will hurt you badly. I had the same problem with my old HE list, which is why I shelved them until the new book (I didn't want to play the way the old book forced me to play after WoC came out). Between 2x chimeras, 2x4 crushers, 6 chariots, a nurgle prince with 1+/5++ and unbreakable, and a BSB on a steed with 1+/3++/re roll 1s, + extras, you will get hurt badly. You need a few BTs to threaten the prince and force him to hide or maybe to shoot him down. You need the OTS so the BSB won't have as easy a time tarpitting you and setting you up for flank charges by crushers, chimeras, or chariots. Those things are the least significant modifications you can make to have a chance against WoC (flaming banner would help too though). Without them, the prince and BSB have free reign against the other units you put down. You will need to use your bus to counter one or both of them, but then the chimeras and skullcrushers have free reign, as well as chariots.

Basically, without RBTs you don't have the capacity to force the DP to hide, and consequently, you don't have enough tools to counter all the threats a WoC list has. But with RBTs you can force your WoC opponent to be a bit more careful with his DP, and in the meantime while his DP is hiding you can shoot at his chariots or crushers. It changes the nature of the game.

If you are not playing WoC though, the list looks good!

(Yes, I seriously think that the new WoC book had that much impact on the game that it makes your otherwise good list completely obsolete, you just don't have the tools to deal with a netlist WoC list).
Link to my YouTube Channel:
Tetengo

#14 Post by Tetengo »

To help with the BSB we've got Arcane Unforging. Take out the BSBs ward save and he's toast. Of course magic isn't always reliable, and you might end up taking out whatever 5 point item he's got instead of the ward, but at least it's something.
[i][color=#0080BF]"O Isha, here I stand, on the last shore, a sword in my hand, Ulthuan shall never fall!"[/color][/i]
Malossar
Something Cool

#15 Post by Malossar »

Dropping the Lion Chariot only allows me to access RBTS via the Skycutter! I am currently sitting at 580 points spent on rares...

But if i drop the Eagles, and the Ogre Blade = 2x RBTS
Swap Lion Chariot for Skycutter

That's 3 shots, 2 @STR6, all ignoring armor and dealing d3 wounds...

I guess in a pinch the phoenixes can act as warmachine hunters (not optimal i know)

Well.... I'll probably be in dedicated combats by Turn 2 anyway with this kind of speed hahaha.

Drop the Eagles it seems? Swap the Lion Chariot for a skycutter?
Avicii

#16 Post by Avicii »

I like the Idea behind this list Malossar, it is extremely fast now especially with min Movement 9''! Are you worried about your AM being unprotected? a good thing with High lore is that you really only need Tali of Protection and work you ward down to 3+ however I do see your reasoning behind Life so it will both work with this army. Setting up very quickly for combo chargers will hopefully stress your opponent into making mistakes and hopefully their first magic & shooting phase is poor.
All-in-all I really like the build!

Avicii
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=50357]Army Blog Current Style: 'Phoenix Monster List'[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=41334]How to make your own Battle Chronicler components/images[/url]
Malossar
Something Cool

#17 Post by Malossar »

For reference here's the newest draft:

Lords: 577

Prince - 287
-Dragon Armor, B. Steed, Giant Blade, Dawn Stone, Shield, The Other Tricksters Shard

Archmage - 295 (High Magic)
-Level 4, Book of Hoeth, Elven Steed

Heroes: 178

Noble - 176
-Battle Standard, B. Steed, Star Lance, Dragon Helm, Golden Crown, Great Weapon, Shield, Dragon Helm

Core: 632
6x Reavers w. Bows, Spears, Musician - 124
10x Silver Helms w. Shields, Full Command - 260

Special: 490

10x Dragon Princes of Caledor - 370
-Full Command, Banner of the World Dragon
Skycutter

Rare: 620
Frost Phoenix
Frost Phoenix
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower
Malossar
Something Cool

#18 Post by Malossar »

Well Game 1 is in the books. I've got a very early class tomorrow so I won't have time to complete the battle report tonight but expect it sometime tomorrow afternoon.

It was a great game against a great opponent. We had a blast! I've got to say those phoenixes are quite nasty! There's really nothing like watching a savage orc big un' horde slap at Str 3! They also make pretty awesome wizard hunters and bsb killers.

Early reaction on skycutter is pretty crappy. Might be bad rolling but really had almost no impact on this game.

The Dragon Prince death star is pretty nasty bagging the remnants of the Savage Orc Horde, 8 River Trolls and a Warboss.
HERO

Re: Reforging -- Mal's Double Phoenix, Dragon Prince Bus Gm 1

#19 Post by HERO »

You should see Curu's thread, it's almost the same thing :D

But in short, the Frostheart is amazing. Been rolling with them all weekend. Still gotta try the Anointed on Flamespyre combo though...

Do you play mostly uncomped? I would honestly drop all the shooting and keep the army more mobile with Great Eagles and more DPs.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]
Malossar
Something Cool

#20 Post by Malossar »

HERO wrote:You should see Curu's thread, it's almost the same thing :D

But in short, the Frostheart is amazing. Been rolling with them all weekend. Still gotta try the Anointed on Flamespyre combo though...

Do you play mostly uncomped? I would honestly drop all the shooting and keep the army more mobile with Great Eagles and more DPs.

Yeah we don't have any form of comp here. Some of the tournaments ban special characters but that's about it. I'm playing against thorek this weekend or more likely (depending on what he brings) the damn Gutstar with mournfangs and double iron blasters.

We don't really care for Comp.

I brought the bolt throwers to help against Manglers, Daemon princes, and other just really annoying things haha. I'm not sure what i would do with the extra 120 from dropping the skycutter.

I'll take a look at Curu's list! Thanks for the heads up Hero.

Hero, as an aside, I might be down in LA in late June. Where do you play?
HERO

#21 Post by HERO »

I'll take a look at Curu's list! Thanks for the heads up Hero.

Hero, as an aside, I might be down in LA in late June. Where do you play?
Used to play in the bunker, then I moved to Aliso Viejo. Then the bunker closed, so now I play at the GW at Portola Plaza. I have yet to try Mercenary Market in Costa Mesa, but I've heard good things. I'm pretty sure I'm busy as F all month of June -- a lot of traveling and flying due to stupid weddings.

As for the 120 points, more Dragon Princes of course! Btw, I would probably give the AM a Crown + the Ring. The Ring procs another cast of the Lore Attribute if it goes off.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]
RogueSun

#22 Post by RogueSun »

Malossar Dragonborne wrote:I might be down in LA in late June.
Something you may be interested in. I'll be there with my Elves.
Malossar
Something Cool

#23 Post by Malossar »

Onto the game:

My List was the same as above.

Orcs and Goblins Anti-High Elf Dragon Prince Mini-star List :

Savage Orc Warboss w. ASF, Glittering Scales, Opal Amulet
Night Goblin Warboss w. Wizard's Hat
Night Goblin Great Shaman w. Scroll
Black Orc BsB w. Standard of Discipline
Savage Orc Shaman

35x Savage Orc Big Uns
2x5 Wolf Riders w. Spears
2x20 Night Goblins w. 2x Fanatics
3x1 Wolf Chariots
18x Black Orcs
2x Manglers
8x River Trolls
Doom Diver
Rock Lobba

So my opponent had actually been an integral part of tweeking my own list. So he tried to design something that would be effective against it. He had all of the nasties with impacts and warmachines. The trolls were an experiement to be harder to hit and hopefully deal enough wounds by vomitting to cause some harm to the bus.

Spells:
Archmage - Soul Quench, Walk Between Worlds, Arcance Unforging, and Fiery Convocation
Night Goblin Great Shaman - Honestly I don't remember and you'll see why
Lvl 2 Shaman - Foot and Hand of Gork
So the wizarding hat... after all of the randomizing and rolling for spells he gets the perfect one! Dwellers and Regrowth!!!

Deployment:

I took up a strong position in the center of the field with one squad of reavers on the far right flank to put pressure on his warmachines. The bolt throwers found a hill where they planted on the far left flank.

The Orc Horde held a solid position on my right flank. With chaff and impact hit causers taking the position across from my cavalry.

Turn 1 to the High Elves!:

So i advanced at a steady clip. I moved the reavers up to start harassing the flanks of the Orc line. One phoenix moves to block the wolf riders approaching my Bolt Throwers and the other shadows the reavers next to the silver helms.

Magic: 11-6
I managed 2 spells. Walk between worlds on the reavers on my left flank to hopefully pull my opponents black orcs into a bad position. I then on 2 dice IF Soul Quench on the mangler dealing 2 wounds. I survive the subsequent explosion and managed to not get my archmage sucked into the Realm of Chaos. Damn that banner is nice against Miscasts!

Shooting:

With lots of missing i need everything in order to drop one mangler. However, the death causes the Lvl 4 Great Shaman and his lackies to high tail it off the board!

Turn 1 Orcs:

So losing the fanatic sling shot in his center really through off my opponents first turn plan. He was nervous about having the reavers slide behind his lines so he charged with his Black Orcs. One Chariot also declares a charge against the Reavers who proceed to flee. The Chariot redirects into the frost phoenix.

Here's my opponents dice really start to show. He moves the night goblins baby sitting the warmachine up to throw the fanatics who fail to reach the reavers!

Magic: Gets Gork's warpath off, scatters off silverhelms. Gork then slips and lands on the rock lobba dealing a single wound.

Shooting: Doom Diver Scatters off. Rock Lobba misses the skytalon but lands smack dab in the center of 4 silver helms killing 2.

Combat: Reavers kill a solitary Black Orc who proceed to butcher the Swift knights. The Wolf Chariot ran into the immovable object that was the Frost Phoenix. Failing to deal any wounds on the impacts and getting smashed apart from the return attacks.

High Elf Turn 2:

I decide to throw caution to the wind and declare some long charges. The Dragon Princes fail to reach the black orcs and the silver helms fail to charge a chariot. However the Frost Phoenix charges some wolf riders who flee and has to redirect into the savage orcs. The other phoenix charges the black orcs which I was a bit nervous about since the princes failed their charge roll needing a 9.

Magic: 7-6 (Meaning the phoenixes are back to a 4+ ward) But since I failed the charge I couldn't cast any spells.

Shooting: I was left with a hard choice after more shooting woes. I needed both Bolt Throwers to take down the mangler meaning the Wolf Riders would have a clear path to charge the machines.

Combat: So here's where things get interesting. On the Left flank the Phoenix kills 3 and stomps 2 more for a total of 5. Even using Great Weapons my opponent was only able to deal a single wound which was saved by the Ward. Outside of BsB support the black orcs fled and were caught by the phoenix. Against the Savage Orcs Phoenix 2 kills the BsB and kills 4 more savage Orcs with his stomp. Savage Orcs fail to cause any wounds but stand on steadfast.

Orc and Goblin Turn 3:

Now on the hard back foot my opponent started getting a wee bit desperate. One Chariot charged the silver helms hoping for a bit of luck. The Trolls flank charge the frost phoenix. Goblins charge the reavers hiding next to the rock lobba. Wolf Riders charge first bolt thrower.

Fanatics: 1 scatters back into the doom diver dealing 1 wound and the other pops.

Magic: Nope.

Shooting:

Doom Diver gets the direct hit on the dragon princes without any magical protection meaning he kills 5! Rock Lobba hits the phoenix on the left flank but I save it on ward.

Combat: Phoenix manages to kill the Lvl 2 Orc Shaman and stomp 5! savage orcs. The Warboss and Trolls only manage a single wound on the Frost phoenix. However with 3 ranks, a Banner, a Charge, a flank and a wound meant the phoenix lost on musician. I failed my Ld Check on a 12, and fled rolling triple 1s! The Wolf Chariot kills a silver helm and proceeds to run away but I fail to catch.

Even failing their fear check the wolf riders manage to kill the poor Eagle Claw Crew and overrun into the next bolt thrower.

High Elf Turn 3:

Silver Helms chase the chariot off the table and redirect into the last chariot. Dragon Princes wheel to face the center with the phoenix moving along the back line. Reavers move up the right flank to threaten the warmachines again.

Magic: 4-3 Forced Arcane Unforging on the warboss destroying his Opal Amulet.

Shooting: Skycutter deals a wound to the trolls!

Combat: Silver Helms pop chariot and reform to make a run at the night goblins. Reavers and night goblins continue the slap fight after a failed fear check. Eagle Claw manages to deal a wound to the wolves and survive the return attacks!

Orc Turn 3:

No charges with only two units left that wheel to accept the dragon prince charge. Warboss and trolls fail their stupid test meaning they'll be behind a turn.

Fanatic rips through the doom diver again dealing 6 hits and 2 wounds killing the doom diver and panicking the rock lobba.

No Magic Again.

Combat: Night Goblins finally kill the reavers and pass their restrain test to turn and face the silver helms plowing toward them. Wolf Riders kill the bolt thrower after losing another member.

High Elf Turn 4: Clean -up

Dragon Princes careen into the savage orcs along with the skycutter. Phoenix fails the charge roll. Reavers and Silver Helms continue their back line sprint toward the warboss and rock lobba.

Magic: Another 6 on the dice brings the phoenix to a 4+ ward. I manage to only get a single spell through (walk between worlds on the phoenix)

No Shooting.

Combat: Dragon Princes and the sky cutter devour the savage orcs but fail to break steadfast (good otherwise i would have been charged by trolls!) I lose 2 dragon princes after the Other Tricksters Shard back fires! Might need to rethink that item choice.

Orc and Goblin Turn 4:

Trolls fail their stupid test and stumble forward an inch or two. Night Goblins reform to protect the rock lobba. Wolf Riders start heading to see if they can't bag themselves a flying ship before the end of the game.

My opponent fails to cast dwellers ending the phase.

Shooting: Another hit on the phoenix but only 3 wounds are dealt.

Combat: Dragon Princes clean up the Savage Orcs and overrun 1" away from trolls. Skycutter reforms to charge wolf riders.

High Elf Turn 5:

Dragon Princes into trolls. Phoenix into Troll Flank. Skycutter charges wolf riders who flee out of range. Silver Helms into Night Goblins and Reavers.

Magic: I only get 1 spell off again but phoenix gets another ward save.

No Shooting.

combat: Its over. Silver helms and reavers pop the night goblins. Dragon PRinces manage to kill 2 trolls and the Phoenix deals 2 wounds to the Warboss. I don't lose a command model!

With the failed break test with the loss of steadfast means The trolls flee and are cut down by the Knights of Caledor.

Losses:

High Elves: 728
6x Reavers
6x Reavers
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower
Frost Phoenix

Orcs were tabled.

20-0 to the High Elves!

Reactions coming up (and pictures if you see this before the edit!)
NightHawk45

#24 Post by NightHawk45 »

Great game! It's good to see reports of the new book up.
I love the picture where the frost eagle is upside down :D
Did you like the skycutter? Also, how much of an impact did shield of saphery do? Do you feel that it helped how you played or could it not have been there and you wouldn't have noticed?
Malossar
Something Cool

#25 Post by Malossar »

Hey Nighthawk thanks for the reply.

Shield of Saphery is pretty slick. It is quite noticeable once the ward goes away when i fail a charge and I'm left without my magic support. It just means I'll need to be more careful rather than charging from the hip willy nilly.

Onto Post Game Reactions and Grading:

Prince- A-

Need to drop the Other Tricksters Shard, it has quite a negative effect on the Dragon Princes for little gain against my opponent. Hopefully with spells like Arcane Unforging and Drain Magic I can either destroy the magic item or remove any augment that grants a ward save. I'm thinking of slapping an enchanted shield and potion of foolhardiness on him.

Archmage - B

Did his job, kept the bus alive with Shield of Saphery. I need to focus more on the augments of the lore rather than magic missiles and direct damage so even when he's in combat he'll be more suited to cast. Book of Hoeth did an outstanding job keeping my opponents (limited) magic phase in check with only 1 spell getting through his defense the entire game.

Noble - A

Solid Effort. Star Lance combo is pretty nasty. I like the Golden Crown on the Noble just to really save his arse from a stray cannon ball or Killing Blow attempt.

Reavers - B

Really... they did their job and when they died they were acceptable losses. I thought they performed well pinning fanatics and a goblin block in the back before I could finally get to their warmachines.

Silver Helms - A

Surprising I know! They didn't draw a lick of attention due to the dragon princes and the phoenixes swarming the table. They earned more than their points by killing 2 Chariots, The Night Goblin Warboss and even the Night Goblin block!

Dragon Princes - A+

Outstanding unit. Durable tough and hard as hell to remove. They can even do a bit of killing ;) Without those bad charge rolls in the early turns this game would have been concluded much quicker.

Skycutter - D

Did one wound the whole game. Might need to reevaluate its position in the list.

Phoenixes - A++

Do i really need to say anything more? Killing Black Orcs, BsB, Shamans, pinning down a savage orc horde and stripping it of its frenzy? These things make this whole list work. They really are incredible.

Bolt Throwers - C

A solid effort. But due to some poor rolling they were easy prey for a 50pt unit of wolf riders. Had even one managed to roll on average against the mangler I would have been able to easily shoot the wolf riders off and preserved points...

Thoughts?

I'm going to start thinking about what I want instead of the Sky Cutter. I think shadow warriors might be a solid option...

We'll see.
RogueSun

Re: Reforged - Game 1 Analysis

#26 Post by RogueSun »

I was waiting for this breakdown.

First thing to note, you were actually over by 3 points. Your Prince should cost 290. Looks like you may have forgotten to add in the shield, even though you listed it. You mentioned you'll likely be changing his build anyway. I'd suggest

Prince
Barded Steed
Giants Blade
Enchanted Shield
Dawnstone
Potion of Foolhardiness

With those changes you can drop the RBTs and Skycutter for 2 Lion Chariots. I suggest these mainly because they are very hard hitting support units which are Stubborn. Charging them into a combat they may not necessarily win (with the proper application of common sense of course)can keep a combat unit in place for a turn, which may be long enough for a Phoenix or either Cav unit to come in to support.

Just my two bits. Great report otherwise, looking forward to more!
sparkytrypod

#27 Post by sparkytrypod »

Swap dragon helm for a charmed shield on the bsb perhaps, that way you get a 2+ on the first hit nd a 2+ on the first would using the golden crown, more reliable then an extra pip of armour so long as you are not on grinding combats imo
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
sparkytrypod

#28 Post by sparkytrypod »

Swap dragon helm for a charmed shield on the bsb perhaps, that way you get a 2+ on the first hit nd a 2+ on the first would using the golden crown, more reliable then an extra pip of armour so long as you are not on grinding combats imo
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
Malossar
Something Cool

#29 Post by Malossar »

RogueSun wrote:I was waiting for this breakdown.

First thing to note, you were actually over by 3 points. Your Prince should cost 290. Looks like you may have forgotten to add in the shield, even though you listed it. You mentioned you'll likely be changing his build anyway. I'd suggest

Prince
Barded Steed
Giants Blade
Enchanted Shield
Dawnstone
Potion of Foolhardiness

With those changes you can drop the RBTs and Skycutter for 2 Lion Chariots. I suggest these mainly because they are very hard hitting support units which are Stubborn. Charging them into a combat they may not necessarily win (with the proper application of common sense of course)can keep a combat unit in place for a turn, which may be long enough for a Phoenix or either Cav unit to come in to support.

Just my two bits. Great report otherwise, looking forward to more!
Hmm...

Dropping the bolt throwers and the skycutter for two lion chariots is something I've considered but opted against it because I would lose my scarce supply of decent shooting! The bolt throwers aren't the best option but man do I need something to pack just enough heat to kill some redirectors (looking at those damn manglers) and maybe pump a wound or two off things like Chimeras DP, Chariot heavies, Demi's etc...

Thanks for the idea Roguesun and nice catch on my points.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#30 Post by Curu Olannon »

Where in the BRB does it say you can't cast spells if you don't make the charge..? I must have missed this!

Also, the 120 points you were wondering about, what is your latest incarnation and what options are you considering? ;)
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::