Adventures with Glosscote: Necessary for casual gaming?

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ambrosius

Adventures with Glosscote: Necessary for casual gaming?

#1 Post by Ambrosius »

The topic pretty much sums up my question. I've never messed much with clearcoats or sealers of any kind, but I recently bought some Testors Dullcote to use with a dipping project (my spearmen). I was so pleased with the effect that I hit the rest of my (not dipped) army with it as well. I've since read on various forums that it's common to spray models with a gloss clearcoat of some kind for added protection, then use the dullcote.

My models are magnetized (so no jostling against each other) and they only come out of their cabinet maybe once a month for a game on my kitchen table (no tournaments here, unfortunately). Is it overkill for me to go back over the (already dullcoted) models with a gloss spray, then hit them with dullcote again? Will the added layers of clearcoat add significantly to the risk of immediate fogging or yellowing over time? I've spent a lot of time on painting them and I'm really happy with how they look, so don't want to risk messing them up. On the other hand, if the gloss coating protects the paint significantly better than the dullcote, it seems silly not to go ahead and do it. Thoughts?
Pictures of my army:
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48337&start=0[/url]
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Adventures with Glosscote: Necessary for casual gaming?

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

The gloss is A LOT harder and more protective. But from the sounds of things yours will be ok without it. I wouldn't mess with them at this point, but any new models you do I'd use the gloss and then the flat.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#3 Post by Aicanor »

Doesn't the dip work similarly to gloss coat? If yes, you do not have to worry at all.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#4 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Oh, and bush on gloss coat is much better then the spray stuff.
Ambrosius

#5 Post by Ambrosius »

Thanks for the input! Only one of my units is currently dipped; the rest are painted the old-fashioned way. The dip is indeed supposed to protect against chipping and whatnot, so I'm not worried about them.

I hadn't even considered brush-on gloss coat, Shannar. Is there a particular brand you'd recommend trying? Any major pitfalls to watch out for when applying, or just use it like a wash over the whole model?
Pictures of my army:
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48337&start=0[/url]
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#6 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Over the whole model. Testors makes a good one, but I've never heard any real complaints about any of the others either.