The Flame Legion of Asuryan: Dragon!!!

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

el_shanar

#1 Post by el_shanar »

Greetings everybody. I'm new in this forum. It is a very interesting forum. Now i would like to share my HE army.
Actually i start playing warhammer (HE) since 1997, catch a break for a long time, and just started to play again 3 years ago.
I am building my army with a new tone that i like and a background story. The name is:

The Flame Legion of Asuryan

Shortly, it is an elite legion that assembled by Teclis himself. After the battle for Island of Blood, The Great Teclis realize that he and his brother, Tyrion, are not enough to protect Ulthuan. A new and fresh army are needed that can be ready when danger arise, especially when the Twins are far away. Under permission from the Phoenix King, Teclis traveled across Ulthuan to gather many heroes and units to enter his forces. He didn't bother the politics and royal blood, he just called everyone who have heart to defend the land. And so it begin... The Flame Legion of Asuryan.
Last edited by el_shanar on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
[color=#FF0000]El Shanar The Dragonheart[/color]
Gizmos

Re: The Flame Legion of Asuryan

#2 Post by Gizmos »

Any pictures? Im intrigued as to if you will be doing lots of converting or just a cool paint scheme.
el_shanar

#3 Post by el_shanar »

At first, Teclis started his journey to Lothern to meet the Phoenix King and also to seek forces to become the core of the army. He was accompany by a band of swordmaster and a young mage who was a disciple of Belannaer, Loremaster of Hoeth.

el_shanar

#4 Post by el_shanar »

The arrival of the Great Mage and the approval from the Phoenix King for the army was making such a commotion in Lothern, especially among the garrisoned Seaguards. Prince Yrellian, Admiral of the White Host, himself assigned one of his best Lothern Sea Guard and one of the finest fleet to join Teclis's host. Its also includes the batteries of Eagle's Claws.

On this city also, the young mage also rejoined with his unusual friends, a pair of eagles.

Aerendar Valandil

#5 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

That looks good!
el_shanar

#6 Post by el_shanar »

Thank u. I'm kinda bored with blue & silver themed HE, so when i decided to continue my HE, i try another theme that i like, and it must be my favorite color, red. it's between gold armour or red armour. so, the choice is clear. I imagine that my army is using a special armour forged by vaul's priests that purified with the flame of shrine of asuryan, so the color is red. that's my story. cheersss.
el_shanar

The Flame Legion of Asuryan: Caledor Answer

#7 Post by el_shanar »

Teclis first visit was to the land of the ancient King, Caledor. The brave, bold, and arrogant Caledorians answered the call for arms.

Caledor is always my favourite theme, culture, especially because of their DRAGON theme. And my dragon prince naturally now become my most favourite unit. although I still owe my self to paint the new DP and the old DP, yes, the classic ones.

el_shanar

Re: The Flame Legion of Asuryan: Caledor Answer

#8 Post by el_shanar »

I want to have a cavalry-based army. it is always shaken me when i see a movie scene of a ride of a cavalry unit (i.e. on the Two Tower scene.)
The leader of my cavalry will be a high elf lord of Caledor, which i convert the pose. I love how it went, and the double-headed spear made him look more swift and deadly.

There is also a mage knight of caledor, so the cavalry can have a swift magic. He will act as the deputy of the cavalry leader.

el_shanar

The Flame Legion of Asuryan: Caledor Answer

#9 Post by el_shanar »

And of course, the spearhead of the cavalry: The Dragon Prince of Caledor

Revelen

#10 Post by Revelen »

Oh, I like these guys! Normally flat color paint jobs are boring as heck, but the colours you've chosen are just so striking. Wow, yeah, Fun! My high elf army, back in the day, was red and white to start with. (Then Blue and white, BORING, then multicoloured and white, then Green and White) But yeah, for all its simplicity, your paint job is very neat, and very cohesive.

I love the idea of a real, historical back story to your army. I always like names and character too, not just, "Here are my 8 Dragon Princes. They're from Caledor. These are my 20 Archers. They have bows..."

Just out of curiosity, though, that army looks massive! What's the grand total points cost?
[url=http://zackcart.com/#/category/sculpts/]My Sculpts and Paints[/url]
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#11 Post by Elithmar »

Love the double ended spear.

Bravo!
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#12 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Oh, I'm definitely stealing the Spear idea ^_^
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#13 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I don't know. I wouldn't want to be riding behind that guy.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#14 Post by Elithmar »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I don't know. I wouldn't want to be riding behind that guy.
Lol. I wouldn't want to be in front either!
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#15 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Elithmar of Lothern wrote:
Shannar, Sealord wrote:I don't know. I wouldn't want to be riding behind that guy.
Lol. I wouldn't want to be in front either!
Right, but that's intended.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#16 Post by Elithmar »

Knights from other kingdoms don't need double ended spears, because they don't need to attack the enemy behind them - when they're fleeing! :lol:
el_shanar

#17 Post by el_shanar »

Elithmar of Lothern wrote:Knights from other kingdoms don't need double ended spears, because they don't need to attack the enemy behind them - when they're fleeing! :lol:
Hahaha, thank u guys. I'm imagining that this person would dash to the center of enemy, circling his spear, and kill everything around him. So i think a double-headed spear can become handy and deadly.
Revelen wrote:Just out of curiosity, though, that army looks massive! What's the grand total points cost?
For Revelen, actually i do not know my army's total point, i just try to collect and convert my army. and trying to field an army according what i want to play. I still owe myself to paint the new model (DP, WL, PG, etc).

This is a band of Ellyrian Reaver that joining the legion.

I love this IOB model. so beautiful but deadly. although i didn't use it a lot, but still, it's one of my favorite model. And i still have 10 more to go...
Revelen

#18 Post by Revelen »

el_shanar wrote: For Revelen, actually i do not know my army's total point, i just try to collect and convert my army. and trying to field an army according what i want to play. I still owe myself to paint the new model (DP, WL, PG, etc).
Ah. Ok. I bet it's huge though. Have you ever fielded most of it at once? That would be shooper big...

Have you ever written up the backstory for your army, like in story sort of format? That would be a fun experience. I keep meaning to do it for the army and characters of my High Elf army, and also for the Wood Elf army I am slowly sculpting.
[url=http://zackcart.com/#/category/sculpts/]My Sculpts and Paints[/url]
Csjarrat

Re: The Flame Legion of Asuryan: Ellyrian Reaver

#19 Post by Csjarrat »

this is a really nice looking army. i love the red armour, make a change from all the mithril silver :-)
once thing i would say is that a lot of the textured surfaces look very flat.
i would suggest putting some ogryn flesh wash onto the skin areas as it will instantly improve the look of shadowing + lighting on the faces for a very minimal effort.
a bit of badab black will make the metals look more metallic and some gryphon sepia will give the hair some depth and texture too.

keep going with these mate, its looking good :-)
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
el_shanar

The Flame Legion of Asuryan

#20 Post by el_shanar »

Revelen wrote: Ah. Ok. I bet it's huge though. Have you ever fielded most of it at once? That would be shooper big...

Have you ever written up the backstory for your army, like in story sort of format? That would be a fun experience. I keep meaning to do it for the army and characters of my High Elf army, and also for the Wood Elf army I am slowly sculpting.
Not that huge actually. never had a chance to fielded all at once. although i always want to try what if i fielded all 7 bolt thrower. :lol:
I never write the story, although i have the concept of the story in my head. yes, it is fun. i have to admit. my main character will the commander of my legion, El Shanar. but i'll post it later.

Csjarrat wrote:this is a really nice looking army. i love the red armour, make a change from all the mithril silver :-)
once thing i would say is that a lot of the textured surfaces look very flat.
i would suggest putting some ogryn flesh wash onto the skin areas as it will instantly improve the look of shadowing + lighting on the faces for a very minimal effort.
a bit of badab black will make the metals look more metallic and some gryphon sepia will give the hair some depth and texture too.

keep going with these mate, its looking good :-)
yes, thank u very much csjarrat. thank u for the suggestion. i'll try it. i use baal red to wash the armour. actually i'm not good in painting, that's why the painting is so flat. :(
I also try to make my army as cartoon as ever. so, i try not do anything like shadow, NMM, etc (and of course because i have no skill on those technique). :lol:
Thank u for ur compliment.
el_shanar

Re: The Flame Legion of Asuryan: Roar of Chrace

#21 Post by el_shanar »

Teclis arrived at Chrace. He saw tough, brave, and loyal society in this land. And also he found a match for Caledorian's might and arogancy. Less royal, but more honest. The enthusiasm of the people was so great. Korhill himself prepare the army to joint the Flame Legion. He sent his most trusted band of White Lion with special task to protect Teclis and the leader of the legion.

Chrace also have an army, equal to the famous Lothern Sea Guard. They have their own special soldier. Mountain Guards of Chrace. Naturally, Chracian are a fierce hunter, so when they gathered and became a unit, it became a fierce army.
Many Lion Chariot joining the legion. But for Teclis surprised, there were a small unit, so fierce but special, recommended specifically by Korhill, The Lion Tamer of Chrace.

Mountain Guards of Chrace

This is my second unit of LSG. I imagine they are an army of chrace with skill like LSG. Mountain Guards of Chrace. I made this unit after the first unit (i post it before).

The pose of the army is the perfection from the first unit of my imagination for "martial prowess" special rule for HE. I take it from the film such as alexander or roman empire movie. I like how it goes. looks fierce, and it looks like "u cannot go anywhere from here". 8)
el_shanar

The Flame Legion of Asuryan: Roar of Chrace

#22 Post by el_shanar »

The Lion Chariot

el_shanar

Re: The Flame Legion of Asuryan: Roar of Chrace

#23 Post by el_shanar »

Chrace has become my favorite theme, especially with their lion kit. the chariot and the new white lion is so good. And now, my dream to made my own custom lion rider has come true. i named the unit:
The Lion Tamers of Chrace.
Basically, they are the person who in charge to tame and try to ride the lion. I've already made a stat for this unit. it's like dragon prince of caledor, minus shield and dragon armour, plus double handed weapon + lion cloak + and of course white lion stat. i never try it on the real game, but really eager to try someday. I still doubt about the point cost.
So, this is it, The Lion Tamers of Chrace.

In my imagination, the chracian will have a friction with the caledorian. they challenge each other for the power inside the legion. the leader of the chracian is this:

my favourite pose:

el_shanar

#24 Post by el_shanar »

This is the commander of my army. He rides a dragon. I like the wood elves warhawk rider model, and than i'm thinking, if they can surf on a hawk, why my general can not stand on a dragon? so that's the origin of the design. and i like the way it goes.
So behold, Commander of Flame Legion of Asuryan:

El Shanar the Dragonheart

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

Re: The Flame Legion of Asuryan: Dragon!!!

#25 Post by Luna Guardian »

I like it, very well done :). I also approve of the use of "arrogant" when describing dragon boys and the attention to Chrace you have given. The posing of the LSG units is also magnificent, mind if I use it as well?
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Jimmy
Centurion

#26 Post by Jimmy »

Nice concept, love the colour scheme.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Dartanelo

#27 Post by Dartanelo »

Great stuff!! I really like the second unit off spearmen. The pose is awesome and the lions on the shields are great! How did you do those? Are they all free hand?
lestat_bcn

#28 Post by lestat_bcn »

Please, dipp the whole Army. You will be amazed how much it will improve.
Tzineris

#29 Post by Tzineris »

Really striking color theme and very nice idea of painting the armour red with gold trims! Very successful outcome!! If you try to create a bit of deapth with shading or highlighting it would look amazing!! Cheers for sharing!! :mrgreen:
My High elven painting project http:[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44391[/url]
HoS

#30 Post by HoS »

This looks awesome and I like the pose you have given your dragon. Don't worry about washing or highlighting rank and file models if you don't want, but maybe try it on a model you reallly like, such as a character. I tend to stick to base coat colors with simple washes and highlights on normal troops, but then use shadimg,layering, edge highlights and other various techniques to make my characters look really good.