Vengeance Rising

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: The Journey of 100 battles..Battle 46 30/01/13

#271 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

I am going to try something new this time :) Or something more direct :) We will see what opportunity you will give me!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#272 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Oh yea, SM, did you email about changing your list, care to share the updates after cancon?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Iluvatar

#273 Post by Iluvatar »

Thanks for the answer, Jimmy!
Now I'll have to read again a few reports of yours to see how you do manage to channel your opponent's units where you want - in your TG. I still don't get how often you manage to do that! :)
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#274 Post by Elithmar »

Jimmy vs Swordmaster would be very interesting. Swordmaster uses MSU, and Jimmy's army contains two main combat units.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Jimmy
Centurion

#275 Post by Jimmy »

It will happen Eli, regardless if we lock horns at the tournament there is a battle scheduled in my infamous corner of Nehekhara against the Outcasts on Sunday the 10th. Its a very intriguing match up actually, there is no doubting SM's MSU force has the speed and offensive ability to take me down however on the flip side a solid shooting phase from my army could wreck a few of his MSU units and cause nightmares. Either way its going to be an honour battling him and also to be able to host him on my gaming table. Win, lose or draw its going to be a great experience and I'm looking forward to the game to see up close how the MSU works and to apply it to a TK army at some stage.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#276 Post by Elithmar »

Of course it won't exactly be fair, as Tomb Kings are overpowered according to Swordmaster. :lol:
Jimmy
Centurion

#277 Post by Jimmy »

That's common interwebz knowledge though, we all know there is so many broken combos and every warhammer newb goes straight for Tomb Kings because they're a point and click army. :wink:

Just bought the new Warriors of Chaos book for my brother and its looks really interesting. The gorebeast chariot I think is undercosted however, T6 chariot at 130 points? Sign me up! When compared to say a Lion Chariot or other chariots from any other race they get a good bargain with that one.

The Slaughterbeast as well is an interesting one, same points as a Warsphinx and can take a characters WS and Ld value and has pretty good stats in between. There is a lot of fighting though for the rare choices.

Might even get to face the new warriors tomorrow!

X-wing Blog
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#278 Post by Curu Olannon »

That chariot sure does sound cheap, compared to what we've got! I've seen its rules and wondered about the cost, now that I've heard it it's pretty incredible. What's the cost of the dragon by the way? I reckon it's the first Dragon in the 8th edition books and as such it'll likely set the pace for ours as well :)
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Jimmy
Centurion

#279 Post by Jimmy »

30 points cheaper Curu the big lizard is...you can just spend those 30 points to give the Chaos lord a breath weapon chaos mutation instead so that's 4D6 into a unit into combat. :roll:

X-wing Blog
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#280 Post by Curu Olannon »

30 points cheaper than ours, or the former Chaos Dragon? 30 points cheaper than ours is very expensive in my opinion. The Dragon already has 2 breath weapons I believe, so that would make it 6d6 :D

Jimmy
Centurion

#281 Post by Jimmy »

30 points cheaper than previous.

Pretty sure it states somewhere however a model can only use one breath weapon per turn? Maybe in the FAQ?

X-wing Blog
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#282 Post by Elithmar »

Jimmy wrote:30 points cheaper than previous.

Pretty sure it states somewhere however a model can only use one breath weapon per turn? Maybe in the FAQ?
Correct. Rule book.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#283 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

One of the club boys got his book today and a few of the new toys, I didn't even check the book, I saw him assembling the tentacle rape monster and it was awesome!
He played a rushed game against an Ogre army, and at the time they had to pack up OK were ahead on points by 100, he would have had it in the next turn though.
I don't believe the tournament next weekend is using the new book, and I might not be able to get to the next club meet, but I'll play then eventually, and it'll be fun.
Foot rolls at 2500 points so my proper Beast bus will hit him.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#284 Post by Elithmar »

I think the tentacle monster looks terribly ugly, but then again that's an elf's opinion. ;)

Good luck when you do face them - they seem nasty. Fun though; I'd get them if I didn't have so many darn elves to paint. :lol:
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#285 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Maybe I've seen too much tentacle rape hentai...
Jimmy
Centurion

#286 Post by Jimmy »

Playing them in an hour but no idea what to take. Would be nice to take something different.

X-wing Blog
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#287 Post by Elithmar »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:Maybe I've seen too much tentacle rape hentai...
OKaaaay...
Jimmy
Centurion

#288 Post by Jimmy »

2400 TK vs WoC

Today’s game was against the new Warriors of Chaos, I was very interested to see how they’d go so just banged up a pretty unusual list with a skeleton horde just to see what would happen. Bit of inspiration came from Krael for the horde that’s for sure but I’m not sure on its effectiveness against so many nasties!

Tomb Kings:

Tomb King - Sword of Anti Heroes, Tricksters Helm, Other Tricksters Shard
BSB - Armour of Fortune, GW
Hierophant – Earthing rod, Death Mask
Necrotect – Charmed Shield, Warrior Bane, Ironcurse,
76 Skeleton Warriors - FC, LA
2 x 10 archers – Musician
5 Horse Archers
4 Necropolis Knights – Std, Champion
Hierotitan
2 x Tomb Scorpions
Casket of Souls
2 x SSC - SOTF

Warriors of Chaos

Sorcerer Lord – MoN, chariot, filth mace, familiar, soul feeder, nurgles rot, 4+
BSB – MoK, Juggernaut
12 Warriors – MoK, FC, Shields
5 Knights – MoK
2 x 5 Dogs
3 x Nurgle Chariots
Warshrine of Khorne
Slaughterbrute
Hellcannon

Deployment:

Spells:

Sorcerer Lord – Blades of Petrification (poison attacks), Curse of the Leper (D3 –T or + D3 to friendly), Rancid Visitations (D6 S5 MM), Fleshy Abundance (Regen 5+), Plague Wind (RIP, Vortex, T tests or wounds)
Hierophant – Vengeance, Cursed Blades, Smiting, Protection
Tomb Kings Turn 1

The army shuffles forward under the bright desert sky as the Tomb King signals his intent on destroying the northern invaders. With his personal Tomb Guard protection his son in a nearby region the burden to protect their king was placed firmly onto the Skeleton Warriors no less than 5000 years old. The Hierophant accompanying the King mutters the Incantation of Protection onto his nearby Hierotitan vessel bringing up a protective shimmer around the construct. Next he focused his attention onto the enemy knights enfeebling them with thoughts of Vengeance. Lastly Smiting is attempted onto nearby archers however the enemy sorcerer dispels this attempt.

The infamous Warmachines of the Tomb Kings scream into unlife unleashing their deadly payload into the largest enemy target – The Slaughtbrute. The was a new threat to the Tomb Kings however they’d still experience none of the beasts brutality as the flaming skulls shattered into the monsters hide dropping it to the desert floor.

Warriors of Chaos Turn 1

The Nurgle Sorcerer Lord undeterred by the beasts death signals the advance. The BSB orders his knights forward however one of them succumbs to the skeletal hands reaching from the underworld and he is dragged to his doom. Now in range of his magical arts the Sorcerer casts Curse of the Leper onto the Necropolis Knights making them more vulnerable to damage. The Hierophant sensing the magical attacks conjures up the magical defences and renders a plague wind useless.

The Hellcannon launches its unearthly ammunition towards the knights however the explosion is minimal and very little damage is evident.

Tomb Kings Turn 2

The King signals the musician who eerily beats the drum to an unknown note and the skeleton warriors 5000 year discipline doesn’t falter and the move into a formation with never ending ranks. The rest of the army shuffles through the arid ground making distance towards the armoured chaos forces. The Horse archers settle into their saddles as they make a charge into the Chaos Hounds threatening their position easily breaking the stray dogs and cutting them down in the chase all whilst the will of the nearby Hierophant protects them. The archers manage to drop a single Hound on the Eastern flank with arrows before the Catapult crew once again show their accuracy as a payload devastates the enemy commanders position leaving him to approach the battle on foot.

Warriors of Chaos turn 2

The instinct of the Chaos Hounds takes hold as they sprint towards the Tomb King warmachine, the crew spot the threat and hold the hounds at bay. The Nurgle Sorcerer now on foot attempts to gain revenge after losing his newly created mount and opens with another Curse of the Leper onto the Necropolis Knights. He then attempts Rancid Visitations onto the nearby Tomb Scorpion however the Hierophants wards prevent this from becoming a problem. Lastly the Warshrine attempts to capture the gods attention however this is also shut down by the Tomb Kings.

The Hellcannon once again targets the Necropolis Knights this time catastrophically launching a huge shell towards the Knights and they result in some damage. The Hellcannon apparently spent then begins to show attention towards the nearby enemy units.

Tomb Kings Turn 3

The Horse Archers move in towards the Hellcannon to try and pull it towards the flank of the desert. The Hierophant mutters words of the Cursed Blades onto the Knights just to slowly heal damage on the unit and then faces his anger towards the Knights again with the words of Vengeance. Finally the casket guards remove the lid of their vessel however the Nurgle Sorcerer puts s top to the souls flying unchecked.

The Catapult crew continue to defend their machine however only the crew leader is left after the struggle and the Hounds are continuing their aggression.

Warriors of Chaos Turn 3

A single Plague ridden chariot charges into the archers on the Eastern flank disintergrating the unit under its attacks and impact. The Sorcerer Lord frantically looks for safety in the Khorne warriors as he curses the Knights once again. His second attempt at Plague Wind is once again shut down by the Hierophant. The lone catapult crew leader maintains his defences and prevents the Hounds from overturning his position.

Tomb Kings Turn 4

The Necropolis Knights don’t wait for the order but rather level their spears against the Nurgle Chariot and crash into the foe splintering the war machine however the Northerners hold against the onslaught. The Casket Guard unleash more bound souls this time narrowing into the chariot which takes severe damage however maintains its position. The Hierophant bellows incantations onto the Necropolis Knights of Protection, Vengeance onto the Khorne Knights and finally the Sorcerer who is pushed from his Khorne bodyguard (realised at this point only same mark characters can join units!) managed to dispel Smiting onto the Knights.

The Catapult crew leader finally dispatches another chaos hound robbing the confidence from the last and causing it to run for its lines.

Warriors of Chaos Turn 4

The Nurgle chariot charges into the Knights to support his brethren of disease however the chariot arrives too late as his counterpart is smashed apart. The Chariot crew however manage to cut down a serpent rider in retaliation as the chariot is augmented with a regenerative power from the nearby Sorcerer, although his remaining tinkering with the winds of magic are for nil as the Tomb Kings rival his magical power in this domain.

Tomb Kings Turn 5

The time comes to prepare the trap as the Tomb Scorpion pushes into entice the frenzied warriors into combat. The Hierotitan and remaining Scorpion manauveur into position to retaliate against the warriors should the trap be sprung. The Hierophant bordering on exhaustion mutters an incantation of Vengeance begging the underworld to take the knights, he then attempts a protective ward onto the Knights however his words of power are for the time being spent and nothing materialises. The Casket Guard unleash more souls to destroy the Sorcerer Lord and he drops to a knee before recovering from the invasion. The Archers let loose arrows and even the Catapult scores a direct hit however the Nurgle spell caster remains standing.

The Necropolis Knights are cut down to the Captain only as the Tomb King side begins to dwindle.

Warriors of Chaos Turn 5

The damaged chariot speeds towards the Catapult as the Chaos Warmachine charges into the Archers on the Western flank and finally the enraged warriors take the bait and charge into the Scorpion destroying it and halting their advance due a temple wall. The lone Chaos Hound inspired by the nearby actions stops running for the time being observing the goings on. Petrified Blades as the spell is known in the Nurgle Sorcerer’s native tongue is cast onto the Chaos Warriors making their halberds drip with deadly poison. Finally the Chariot crew battling the knights begin to succumb to the effects of fear clearly not use to the enemy putting up this much of a fight.

Tomb Kings Turn 6

The Tomb King aware of all his soldiers signals the charge into the recovering Chaos Warriors of Khorne, as the Tomb Scorpion closes onto the flank. The nearby Hierotitan sees the opportunity and charges into the Sorcerer Lord intent on closing down the enemies magic capabilities. The Hierophant augments the Skeleton Warriors speed however his remaining casting attempts are dispelled.

The combats are quick and bloody with the Hierotitan leaving a mixture of blood, sand and maggots mashed into the desert floor before the momentum carries the Giant into the flank of the Warshrine.

The King ever pleased lays into the Khorne Warriors before taking some casualties but the sheer weight of numbers and the nearby effects of the Hierophants Death Mask ensure the Blood Gods warriors have no morale and they flee. The King signals a reform and the Warriors draw to wide ranks as he knows the Khorne Knights won’t be able to resist such a target.

Warriors of Chaos Turn 6

With the sun setting on ancient Nehekhara the Chaos Forces have but one chance and they take it. Everything charges their targets with only the southern chariot losing momentum against the Casket of Souls. The Warshrine intends to use its power to augment the Chaos troops however it can’t penetrate the magical veil of the Tomb Kings and the Hierotitan is further enraged by this and cleaves apart the platform and its enough to break its spirit and is subsequently caught.

The Skeleton Champion rushes to challenge the Khorne Hero however in a lightning display of blows the warrior is reduced to powder before he swings his sword. His duty done however as the Hierophant remains unscathed. The King still feeling the effects of the Incantation of Smiting and hatred for his foe steps forward and with a magnificent display of martial skill kills all 4 remaining Khorne Knights. Some more skeleton warriors drop from the chariot and Hellcannon and some casualties crumble however it’s clear the Tomb Kings would carry the day.

Result – TK Victory.

Conclusion - It’s certainly a concern that now Chaos can take Chariots as a core choice, what’s more (although not in this game) the Warshrine is also available as a mount to characters so they’re certainly not without option. Was this a great show case for the warriors? Certainly not. The only real gripe I have is I should not have charged the Tomb Scorpion into the flank of the Warriors as it just gave him away. My brother on turn 1 felt my pain commonly dubbed as Sphinx Hernia when his Slaughtbrute who came out to play got smashed on the opening turn but monsters are magnets, there is no getting around it. Another interesting point which caught both of us out are the no mixing marks now which certainly requires any WOC player to put a bit of thought into their deployments with contingency plans in case the need arises when someone needs to jump ship, probably would have allowed me to nail the Lord a turn earlier, but not to worry the lord of flies couldn’t escape 6 Thunderstomps onto his skull. :D Once again and we see it all the time people don’t like taking Dangerous Terrain tests. I got Incantation of Vengeance off a few times on the Knights and they didn’t even breath, the best spell in the deck hands down.

There is still lots more to try with the Warriors for my brother and he’s excited which is good even though he got stomped in his first outing with the new book.

What did everyone think of the Skellie horde?

Thanks for reading as per usual.

X-wing Blog
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: The Journey of 100 battles..Battle 47 vs new WOC

#289 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Vengeance, just one of the reasons why I love the banner of Ellyrion, I saw new warriors play against a gutstar yesterday, 100 point down at the end of t4 when they had to stop, it was close.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#290 Post by Elithmar »

Is the chariot a viable choice for characters?

I like the rule about characters only in same mark units - it makes sense. About the spears - I'm not sure that you need so many. How many casualties did they sustain?
Jimmy
Centurion

#291 Post by Jimmy »

@Ele - fingers crossed it survives the re-write!

@Eli - The problem with chariots is they can be taken out from under you, granted its a little more difficult doing it to a Chaos chariot however its still there. Combined with the Nurgles lore attribute they can gain wounds and toughness which is interesting so could essentially become tougher than what they're riding.

I didn't take spears on the Skeletons just swords and boards. In this case I didn't need to take that many however I wasn't expecting to only get into combat by the later turns with them. If you've got time Krael over at the Tomb King forums has put a lot of time into a study of pitching warriors against different units other armies have and the results are very interesting and in depth, basically the humble skeleton warriors does have a place in the army. I think the unit ended up losing 14 models perhaps?

X-wing Blog
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#292 Post by Elithmar »

Sorry, my mistake about the spears. I suppose I'm used to calling core troops spears. ^_^

How about a sphinx to crash into combat alongside the skellies? I wouldn't have thought he'd take too many wounds because of the ranks, and also five wide and with characters in the front rank, not many wounds will get through. On the other hand, he'll add a lot of wounds in the combat.
Jimmy
Centurion

#293 Post by Jimmy »

You see what happened to my brothers Slaughterbrute on my Turn 1? That's exactly what happens to Warsphinx every day of the week. That's why I love the Knights so much even though they're the worst Monstrous Cavalry in the game they still have a place.

No worries on the spears! :)

X-wing Blog
Ptolemy

#294 Post by Ptolemy »

Happy to have a chance to see the TK take on the new WoC.

It was a fun report to read. 76 warriors!? Jeeezusss!
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:Conclusion - It’s certainly a concern that now Chaos can take Chariots as a core choice, what’s more (although not in this game) the Warshrine is also available as a mount to characters so they’re certainly not without option.
I can see the Warshrine as a mount in a list where someone is looking to get a shrine in regardless and see it as a way to get a wardsave on a character.
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:Another interesting point which caught both of us out are the no mixing marks now which certainly requires any WOC player to put a bit of thought into their deployments with contingency plans in case the need arises when someone needs to jump ship, probably would have allowed me to nail the Lord a turn earlier, but not to worry the lord of flies couldn’t escape 6 Thunderstomps onto his skull.
For this reason, I think you'll start seeing alot of WoC players forgo marks on infantry units in order accomidate characters. WoC has also been (in both the last book and certainly this one also) a book with strong options for independent characters. Those options probably got better in this particular book with the new Mutations/Gifts available. In addition, the new book lores are very meh. Almost all of them can be outdone by a mundane lore available to the army. Nurgle is a combo of Death and Shadow. Tzeentch has huge damage potential but the warpflame rule is a bit odd. I'm going to try it though in my next game, figuring Glean Magic and Treason to be the big spells in that lore now. Slaanesh can be amazing in some cases and awful in others. So, unmarked characters are also looking more and more likely (except the Tzeentch unkillable and the have-to-be-marked Demon Princes)
Elithmar of Lothern wrote: Once again and we see it all the time people don’t like taking Dangerous Terrain tests. I got Incantation of Vengeance off a few times on the Knights and they didn’t even breath, the best spell in the deck hands down.
That spell scares the crap out of me when I play TK. Couldn't agree more.
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:What did everyone think of the Skellie horde?
Besides the obvious tarpit function, can you give some insight into some of the research that is on the TK forums regarding it? What is its primary purpose? Massed attacks and staying power? Why not an archer horde firing volleys from turn 2? I'd love to give my TK friend some advice on this. Core seems like a real struggle for TK.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
Jimmy
Centurion

#295 Post by Jimmy »

Interestingly enough however Ptolemy you'll note you still randomise so the character wouldn't benefit from the Warshrines save?

On the Horde I normally always go the archer route but I wanted to run something completely different and it was the sword and board horde. I'm personally not sure on the longevity of it due to my play style and I love Tomb Guard. I'll link the thread but basically it was a running tab of what a unit like this could expect to defeat/stand up against certain units.

Obviously I went off the deep end with my unit, added a defensive King making him near unkillable so the warriors are always WS6, Hierophant in the unit as well to gain 6+ regen, Necrotect to give the unit hatred and constructs 6+ regen nearby and of course the BSB which could take a wound for the king and absorb a bit of damage and was handy for the removal of crumble damage which actually gave the Necropolis Knight Captain an extra turn in combat. Granted is a one trick pony which is why I question to longevity of it however fun rules the lists.

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Khemri/index ... opic=12707

X-wing Blog
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#296 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Jimmy,

I am sure we will have some fun during our game and I am really looking forward to it. I will have a chance to play against beautifully painted army on a fantastic gaming table. And I will play against a tournament winner on his own turf. I do feel like an underdog here, which is actually good as I usually play from that position. :)

Another aspect that will add to the story is the fact we post a lot of our games and we know each other well. Even without playing each other! It will be more difficult for me to surprise you for sure (if at all!). Yes, you have powerful shooting and that will definitely be a factor in the game but as always terrain and lady luck will have something to add.

It is a great honor to be able to play against Tomb King himself! :)

In order to pay a proper respect I try to study your army and since I am lagging behind with comments let me go through your 46th report as I read it!

1. Deployment

I am wondering what was (approximately) the order of the deployment. I like your refused flank deployment with archers on one side and knights on the "safe" flank. Your brothers deployment is good too, as marauders are not that close to archers although 2 catapults per turn will make them cry anyway :)

2. Casket

That turn 1 magic was devastating only because of casket killing the sorcerer. Not only it robbed your brother from having spells on his own but it was a great bonus points as well as free to rule magic later on. I presume you used the opportunity of strong winds of magic and cast the 6-dice version obtaining IF?

3. WoC Turn 2

Did khorne knights failed their frenzy check? If not I think that charge was somewhat reckless. I would move the knights and ogres full speed towards your archers. While your horse archers nicely channeled any attacker towards tomb guard they also blocked them from attacking towards the left flank if the enemy decided to march forward past the horsemen. Yes, you had shooting to speak about the following turn but the armor is good and they are tough too so could shrug off the damage and then attack and destroy the weak flank without the chance to be intercepted.

Also a quite unlucky situation for the WoT as they were blocked by the hounds. Maybe checkboard formation would be better here? So that fleeing units would not go through friendly regiments or block them from advancing.

4. TK charge

It was great to see khorne knights broken but I wonder about hierotitan addition. Was there a chance for the knights to hold? If yes then you would have your flank exposed to the attack of marauders. If the knight held then that horde unit could have made a huge difference I think. You were in a good position to win war of attrition but you needed a safe flank. Of course it worked brilliantly as you broke the enemy on the charge and blocked his marauders too with overrun (which would have been a good option anyway just for that purpose).

5. Carrions

Blocking the warriors with carrions is a very good move but I would also position them at an angle so that the warriors, after destroying the obstacle, would have to overrun away from hierophant, even losing him from their line of sight.

6. Lady Luck

Your brother fought uphill battle without magic and unfortunately dice gods were against him. Which is a pity as it would have been more interesting to see warriors do more damage. TK were in control anyway so a few more points for humble khorne follower would have been great. But such is the game of warhammer that sometimes strange things happen. I just hope your brother is not frustrated with the beating he receives and that with his new army book and experience hard learned so far he will come back with vengeance :)

Of course you played another game already but since it was against different army list I do not count it yet :)

Thanks for the report one more time!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Jimmy
Centurion

#297 Post by Jimmy »

Thanks SM.

1. On deployment basically my archers kept going down until his Knights did then I put my knights on the flank and TG centred.

2. I'm pretty sure I cast Vengeance which my brother threw all his dice at and stopped which left the door open for casket.

3. That was a declared charge from my brother. Moving them towards the archers is a good idea and perhaps even getting the BSB out on his own to create another threat. Had he moved the Knights as you said though it would have been a simple case of moving the HA again in front of the knights to dictate where they over ran to.

4. Anything is possible in this game so of course they could have held however it was probably the addition of the flank that would helped. The Hierotitan was going to die regardless against that horde. Just weight of numbers made sure of that.

5. On the Carrion that was a total oversight, I actually sat there before my brother finished the combat with the archers and suggested it to him pointing out my mistake. Oops! :)

6. Hopefully he can settle into a build he enjoys and is equally as demanding to play against with the new book!

Appreciate you taking the time to comment as per usual.

X-wing Blog
Jimmy
Centurion

#298 Post by Jimmy »

Tournament Summary – Queensland Northern Knights Joust

Hey guys

Just quick summary of my games at the Joust which was held yesterday with 32 players.

Game 1 vs Daemons of Chaos

Lord of Change
Herald of Khorne
BSB of Slaanesh
40 Blood letters
15 Daemonettes
10 Horrors
5 Flesh Hounds
2 x 3 Flamers
2 x Fiends

Basically I got Vengeance off a few times onto the block of Bloodletters preventing it from moving into a beneficial position for a few turns. My shooting pinned the Lord of Change behind a forest and a lucky SSC shot claimed his life on the second turn. Flesh hounds collapsed my right flank heading towards the casket but Light of Death got rid of them nicely. Necropolis Knights ended up charging the blood letters and in between Desiccation on them and protection on me I lasted a few rounds and ended up killing the herald.

14-6 Win

Game 2 vs High Elves

Prince on Star Dragon
2 x Level 2 Light mages
BSB on Eagle
3 units of archers
Large unit of White Lions
3 Eagles

Not a great game for at all unfortunately, I started by roping the dragon in to a charge that put it into a favourable position then the following turn I was able to charge it in the front with the Knights and get a flank and rear with skeleton archers, after a challenge however I couldn’t produce any results I wanted and everything eventually crumpled. My units were eventually banished/gazed to dust and the 3 main units charged the Tomb Guard. I did manage a killing blow onto the Prince and got the dragon down to a single wound but the crumble damage was to great and down went the Tomb Kings.

19-1 Loss

Game 3 vs Skaven

Grey Seer
Warlord on Bonebreaker
BSB
Blocks of Clan rats
Blocks of Slaves
20 Plague Monks
Giant Rats
6 Censer Bearers
Doomwheel
5 Rat Ogres
WLC
Plague Catapult

Bit fuzzy this game because there was so much going on. Basically I sit back and inflict as much damage as I can with bombs and arrows. Skullstorm goes through the plague monks inflicting a few casualties and causing the slaves to panic for the rest of the game. The Knight eventually charge into the Grey Seers unit chopping him up good and proper and then they get flanked by the Rat Ogres. I continue shooting into the Rat Ogres leaving 2 of the protecting the Warlord and then a lucky SSC shot takes him out. Casket goes off taking out the Plague catapult and wounding the cannon. The Archers end up charging the flank of some slaves and throwing a skull storm through them trims them down. Tomb Guard engage and do some hearty casualties. With the removal of my opponents magic user and general the Skaven eventually collapse.

16-4 Win.

A great tournament was held and organised however for me the games and this list really highlighted the struggle I have with big monsters. I guess that’s not really accurate, High Elves Dragons. That dragon armour just takes away our ability to keep them in check, add in Light magic and it was going to be a struggle, perhaps I should have played for a draw in that second game. Not to worry. Back to the drawing board!

Official results haven’t been posted as yet so I don’t know where I came in at so when this becomes available I will update this post.

X-wing Blog
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: The Journey of 100 battles..Tourney Summary

#299 Post by Curu Olannon »

Congratulations on a well-played tournament and the TK best general award, Jimmy :)

As for the HE Star Dragon, it truly is nasty against Tomb Kings. Taking away your ability to hurt it with the catapults really hurts. With the new WoC book out, what do you think about the Necrosphinx? It would also be a solid choice in this encounter, don`t you think?

Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

Re: The Journey of 100 battles..Tourney Summary

#300 Post by Elithmar »

Curu Olannon wrote:...TK best general award, Jimmy :)
Weren't you also the worst TK general, Jimmy? :lol: I mean weren't you the only TK general?

It's okay, I'm sure you'd have also been the best if there were more. :)

Sounds like you had some hard match ups. I was thinking you could land a rock on the dragon's head, but they're flaming, aren't they? #-o Well, congratulations on doing so well.