Just starting my second army - Warshrines/characters pics up

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Andrew_uk

Just starting my second army - Warshrines/characters pics up

#1 Post by Andrew_uk »

Ok after spending ages on my High elves and going through the entire army with NMM and doing lots of details very precisely I just wanted a change/break from that style of painting. I'd been looking to start a second army once my high elves are finished and now that theyre about half way done (probably 2/3s of the way towards being able to field a legal and quite competitive 2,500 point army) I decided it was time for a second army. Glad I have done as well because it's reinvigorated my love of painting and I'm getting more done on the HE side of things too as a result :)

So my warriors of chaos will be posted here too - they are all going to be nurgle. Green with purple cloaks, rather than mutate the marauders and ogre bulls (which I will be using as chaos ogres) I will instead make them look like they have been hired merceneries who have painted their skin. All cloth/cloaks will be done in purple as this always contrasts green nicely. The bases will be snow/winter themed hence why my warriors wear thick fur cloaks.

It occured to me today while painting however that our models are designed in green and reproduced in grey, we convert them with green only to spray them in black and paint them green again... stupid cycle!!!!

These seem easier and quicker to paint than my HEs so I'd quite like to have a legal 2.5k army by the spring. Here's my test model

Edit: I thought as something of an index to make a list of everything I own and where I am with it...

1 Chaos Lord on Manticore - finished
1 Chaos Lord on Deamonic Mount
1 Chaos Lord of Nurgle on Mount - Yet to purchase
1 Daemon Prince - Finished
1 Mounted Sorcerer Lord - Finished
1 Nurgle character on foot - Finished

1 Converted BSB on foot - Finished
1 Nurgle character on foot - yet to purchase
1 Festus - Assembled
1 Wulfrik - Assembled
3 Nurgle Sorcerer(s) on foot - finished
20 Hounds of Chaos - Finished
12 Warriors of Chaos with 2 hand weapons - Finished
12 Warriors of Chaos with Halberds and shields - Finished
15 Warriors of Chaos with HW/Shield - Finished
18 Marauders with H/w and shield - Finished

10 Marauders with throwing spears - nearly finished
12 Marauders with great weapons - nearly finished
5 Marauder horsemen - basecoated

6 Chaos Ogres - finished
1 Chimera - Finished

3 Trolls - nearly finished
5 Chaos Knights - finished - 5 more nearly finished
1 Giant - Finished
Spawn - Finished

2 Warshrines (slave carts) - finished
2 Hellcannon - Purchased, really heavy modifications required including scratch built Warmachine chassis and some crew (I would use the new Hammerer models here as they look quite easy to chaosify, but have you seen the price?!?!?)
4 Rinox Riders - Yet to purchase, these guys will be my Skullcrushers
1 Chariot - yet to purchase

I might also get another box of warriors and another box of marauders, just to bulk out my core units - the logic here is that if I am ever to play with them in 8th edition then I will want 30 Marauders with GWs... Plus the 2 defensive blocks will work better if they are 20 strong and the 2 attacking Warriors units will work better (in 8th) as 18 man units
Last edited by Andrew_uk on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:39 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

Re: Just starting my second army - Warriors of Chaos

#2 Post by Elithmar »

Nice one. Nurgle isn't that common, is it?
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#3 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Mono god isn't common, but you'll just be theming the models right, not the list?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#4 Post by Elithmar »

Themed lists are so much better!
Andrew_uk

#5 Post by Andrew_uk »

Elithmar of Lothern wrote:Themed lists are so much better!
Themed lists are indeed far cooler! I really want to have the whole army decked out as nurgle and would like to be able to have a semi competitive list which is monogod

Something like this...

Sorcer Lord
L4 Lore of Death Some kit
Mounted/barded steed

3x L1 Nurgle Sorcerers all with the default spell

1 BSB with doom totem

12 Chaos warriors with halberds (my can opener)

12 Chaos warriors with +1 hand weapon (my meat grinder)

15 Chaos warriors with hw/shield (my anvil) (BSB in here)

5 Chaos knights (rangers standard)

2 hellcannons

Basically I will just force myenemy to lose all its characters and BSB and then take lots of leadership tests at -4. then mop up whats left! Nurgle is quite weak in some senses. But I think Khorne is the most overrated, frenzy is both a blessing and a curse and you ca easily pull a khorne player out of position and pick the right fights against him
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Mireadur

#6 Post by Mireadur »

But andrew, by spring that list probably wont be usable anymore if the book (as rumours point to) comes in march-april.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#7 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

A new book might make a mono Nurgle army even better.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Andrew_uk

#8 Post by Andrew_uk »

Mireadur wrote:But andrew, by spring that list probably wont be usable anymore if the book (as rumours point to) comes in march-april.
Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:A new book might make a mono Nurgle army even better.
Both true, but also purely speculation.

I want to have a 2.5k army (the above list) which is legal and which I can play with at a local store. However my normal opponent is my brother and when we play games at home we use 7th edition with our own rules improvements. It works well and we have made lots of adjustments to the main rules set and some additional adjustments to books. We both feel that 7th edition was not a perfect game, but it was essentially a lot better than 8th and so makes a better starting point.

With Chaos I'm proposing 2 adjustments

1) For every unit of Chaos Warriors in your list you must pick one unit of either Marauders or Marauder Horsemen

2) Marauders can be armed with spears (+1 point) and/or crossbows (+4 points)

It forces players to pick a more varied core and makes the core more flexible and also gets around the problem chaos normally have of having no shooting units at all. I don't think these changes are unreasonable and paying 8 points per model for a BS3 S4 shot which can't move isn't too cheap.

jwg20

#9 Post by jwg20 »

^Those changes may be good for your meta with your brother, but if they included that rule overall I feel we would see even fewer people take warriors of chaos as a unit. The only people I see take warriors are people who do fluffy army of the north. The most competitive players I face using warriors don't use any warriors. Their lists are simply:

LV 4 Tzeentch on Disc with 1+/3++, puppet
BSB (on horse if he takes knights, on foot if he takes chosen)
Maybe another wizard with scroll, or another combat character

2x40-50 marauders of Khorne with GWs

2-3x5 marauder horse with flails

2-3 x5 dogs

huge unit of chosen or Chaos Knights, Mark of Tzeentch

Rares, Either
a) 2x Hellcannon, 1x Shrine
b) 2x Shrine, 1x Hellcannon

That seems to be the netlist.

Make chaos warriors require marauders, the few people that do fluffy archon horde armies wouldn't be able to, and I would be left facing the netlist above over and over again. Basically, I am glad the army of the north is still an option. I am sick of marauder hordes :).

Note: I think the problem with 8th is the presence of 7th ed book in 8th ed warhammer... it shoehorns people into a few builds. 8th ed books in 8th ed warhammer I think is the best thing that has ever happened to the game. Aside from ogres, all the books are balanced within the rules, and most units are totally usable in all new books made so far.

Anyway, like the paint scheme so far! Keep it up! Looking forward to seeing the army develop!
Link to my YouTube Channel:
Andrew_uk

#10 Post by Andrew_uk »

jwg20 wrote:LV 4 Tzeentch on Disc with 1+/3++, puppet
BSB (on horse if he takes knights, on foot if he takes chosen)
Maybe another wizard with scroll, or another combat character

2x40-50 marauders of Khorne with GWs

2-3x5 marauder horse with flails

2-3 x5 dogs

huge unit of chosen or Chaos Knights, Mark of Tzeentch

Rares, Either
a) 2x Hellcannon, 1x Shrine
b) 2x Shrine, 1x Hellcannon

That seems to be the netlist.
True more or less, though I've seen other builds do well. I'm not aiming for out and out broken lists though. And the restrictions and amendments we are putting in place are for our own improved version of 7th as opposed to 8th, I think the way 7th used to work I almost never saw marauders (who needed hoardes of S3/T3 then???). I may well paint up 30 Marauders of khorne just so I can throw them in as and when but I can't see them hitting the table much.

A L4 Tzeench Lord on disc will probably be done at some point for the same reason.

I want to paint up a Nurgle Giant, Nurgle Chaos Ogres (Ogre Bulls) too though I doubt these will be played much. Predominantly though this is set to be a nurgle army and I wish to field it as a semi competitive mono god army as often as possible. The other stuff will just be for fun/occasional use

Ptolemy

#11 Post by Ptolemy »

Cool stuff Andrew. I'm starting my own WoC army as well (its the old jump. HEs to WoC). I'm going Slaanesh theme (not list, just models) and basing it around good old warriors as well. Looking forward to seeing more from Papa Nurgle.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
Andrew_uk

#12 Post by Andrew_uk »

Lots to post here on Monday :) just making this short post so I don't lose my spot

20 hounds (done):

Giant (done, other than a few final highlights):

6 ogres (done):

3 chaos nurglings (done):

36 chaos warriors are still WIP, hope to get them finished by end of feb though

Glass display case for woc on left and high elves on right:
Last edited by Andrew_uk on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#14 Post by Elithmar »

Doesn't look like there are any specific Nurgle troops.

Those monsters look hideous too I think. :-&
Andrew_uk

#15 Post by Andrew_uk »

Elithmar of Lothern wrote:Doesn't look like there are any specific Nurgle troops.

Well said Elithmar =D> I've been thoroughly underwhelmed by the planned release and quite underwhelmed by the recent release as well. Still I have had this army in the planning stage for ages and I'm happy with how I want to construct it. Other than using what comes in the WoC batallion I'm using very little which is actually specific to WoC...

Warshrine = Corpse Cart, Spawn = Nurglings, Ogres = Ogre Bull, Trolls = River Trolls, Hellcannons = Mcfarlane Gemini Model :) Should look pretty cool hopefully

Ptolemy

#16 Post by Ptolemy »

Andrew_uk wrote:
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:Doesn't look like there are any specific Nurgle troops.

Well said Elithmar =D> I've been thoroughly underwhelmed by the planned release and quite underwhelmed by the recent release as well. Still I have had this army in the planning stage for ages and I'm happy with how I want to construct it. Other than using what comes in the WoC batallion I'm using very little which is actually specific to WoC...

Warshrine = Corpse Cart, Spawn = Nurglings, Ogres = Ogre Bull, Trolls = River Trolls,
While I'm not nearly as filled with ragehate at the new WoC stuff as some on the net, I never really planned to use many stock models for my WoC anyway. I think thats the whole big appeal of the army for me, the complete blank slate.

For instance, I don't mind the forsaken (price is high, of course, but considering what I spend on display board supplies and resin bases, to complain about the cost of models seems hypocritical), but I've already planned a conversion for them that a) makes sense and b) fits MY chaos army. It will probably be cheaper, but whole unit conversions are rarely as cheap as people think they will be.

Like yourself, I'll be doing my own ideas for stock models.

Warshrine= Slave cart
Spawn = Werewolves
Ogres = .....field ogres? Um...no
Trolls = Werewolves again, probably. Though I probably won't ever use them.
Slaughterbrute = Ultraforge Dragon

and so on...
Hellcannons = Mcfarlane Gemini Model :) Should look pretty cool hopefully
HOLY CRAP! I googled it. Wow...that thing SCREAMS Nurgle. Good pick!
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
Andrew_uk

#17 Post by Andrew_uk »

Ptolemy wrote:
Andrew_uk wrote:Hellcannons = Mcfarlane Gemini Model :) Should look pretty cool hopefully
It is :) and it comes in 2 halves so you only need 1 model costing about £10 to have yourself 2 hellcannons, however the downsides are that it

*)is made from a really horrible resin so the spines are all quite bendy (not sure how to tackle this one yet)

*)the part where they join is going to take some work to greenstuff in some sort of cover up of the fact that it is really only half a sculpt

*)the model has moving parts which are jointed at the shoulders, arms and elbows etc and these will need to be glued and then the joints resculpted to cover cracks

*)I'll need to get some models to crew it - I would just go straight to a dwarf warriors plastic set ideally but they're less customisable than our core so I may have to think about this one further and might buy some from one of the independent suppliers who do dwarves (nearly all seem to)

*)I think I may also put some chains and stuff down on the hellcannon to make it look as though it's actually being restrained

Because of all the above reasons I'm putting this off until last

Ptolemy

#18 Post by Ptolemy »

Andrew_uk wrote:
Ptolemy wrote:
Andrew_uk wrote:Hellcannons = Mcfarlane Gemini Model :) Should look pretty cool hopefully
It is :) and it comes in 2 halves so you only need 1 model costing about £10 to have yourself 2 hellcannons, however the downsides are that it

*)is made from a really horrible resin so the spines are all quite bendy (not sure how to tackle this one yet)

*)the part where they join is going to take some work to greenstuff in some sort of cover up of the fact that it is really only half a sculpt

*)the model has moving parts which are jointed at the shoulders, arms and elbows etc and these will need to be glued and then the joints resculpted to cover cracks

*)I'll need to get some models to crew it - I would just go straight to a dwarf warriors plastic set ideally but they're less customisable than our core so I may have to think about this one further and might buy some from one of the independent suppliers who do dwarves (nearly all seem to)

*)I think I may also put some chains and stuff down on the hellcannon to make it look as though it's actually being restrained

Because of all the above reasons I'm putting this off until last
What about making it look like it burrowed out of the ground? Bury the back half in a pile of rubble?

For crew, unless you are really tied to the dwarf idea, why not just use a few marauders or chaos warriors?
Andrew_uk

#19 Post by Andrew_uk »

Ptolemy wrote:What about making it look like it burrowed out of the ground? Bury the back half in a pile of rubble?

For crew, unless you are really tied to the dwarf idea, why not just use a few marauders or chaos warriors?
I thought about it coming out of the ground, it's not a bad idea... but in some ways it stands to reason that the crew were pretty lucky for it to come out at just the right place :p

I think I may look at building a whole support structure on wheels/tracks around it using bits and then cover the hting in chains. The marauders isn't a bad idea. I'll think about it a bit further before tackling that project either way

Anyways... new pics are up :)

Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#20 Post by Elithmar »

Plenty of room for more models in that case. ^_^
John Rainbow

#21 Post by John Rainbow »

Slightly different tack but... where did you get your glass cabinet from?
Andrew_uk

#22 Post by Andrew_uk »

Ikea :) it's called Detolf and was only £40 each which equates to about $64... I got 2 and reckon you can fit 6,000 points in each without it being cramped. I have about 2000 points of my high elves painted so hopefully I'll fill up the right hand side as soon as I'm finished with the WoC... The chaos are just a much faster paint, my drybrushing and less details, plus I decided to do the entire HE army in NMM which takes like 3/4 months per unit whereas the chaos I've been painting a unit a month!!!

Mireadur

#23 Post by Mireadur »

hey guys, if you get those IKEA showcases i recommend you to add them some extra shelfs welding metal rods with just small tacks to the orginal steel frame.

I did it to mine and doubled the amount of shelfs on it. You need to prepare the steel frames before assembling, of course. Finally just buy the crystal shelfs and ''voila''.

Andrew_uk

#24 Post by Andrew_uk »

Mireadur wrote:hey guys, if you get those IKEA showcases i recommend you to add them some extra shelfs welding metal rods with just small tacks to the orginal steel frame. I did it to mine and doubled the amount of shelfs on it. You need to prepare the steel frames before assembling, of course. Finally just buy the crystal shelfs and ''voila''.
When I looked closer at it during assembly I was so tempted to do this. But I decided it was too much effort with not enough gain. Kudos to you though for doing it! It looks great and as always your army looks fantastic too

Andrew_uk

#25 Post by Andrew_uk »

Warriors are having finishing touches going on at the moment... final highlights to armour, shields, leather, weapons and then I need to do all the detail like bones... Realistically I think I've got another 12 hours worth of work to put in on them but it's 12 slow hours as at the end of any hour session the progress looks minimal. I hate this stage of batch painting lol

To keep myself motivated I've assembled my 10 Chaos knights and they're ready for priming, they will be my project for March though I don't expect to finish them on time because of how big a project that is. I'm tempted to assemble the warshrines and put them in the cabinet too lol

On the topic of the marauders and marauder horsemen I'm tempted to sell the 40 Marauders I have (still on sprues) on ebay and buy instead 40 Vampire Count Zombies. If I then also buy the marauder shields off the GW bits section then I'll be able to make some proper little Nurgle Marauders/horsemen - Think I'm going to put this off while I have a think

I also went a bit crazy the other day and bought a WoC manticore, deamob prince and a chimera :)

I'll probably get back on to the high elf stuff in 6 months or so; the archers and dragon are nearly finished there and then I have about 20 Dragon Princes to keep me entertained for several months!

Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#26 Post by Elithmar »

Haha, you might just want to get rid of the marauders altogether, as they're not as good now, are they?

Only a few more months to finish the warriors of chaos then? Wow, they must be quick to paint! :shock:
Andrew_uk

#27 Post by Andrew_uk »

Hi just a very quick update. I went away to Dublin this week with work... just got back yesterday

I'm really annoyed with myself as I found somehow my superglue ended up with a hole in the bottle near the neck and its spilt a bit over the table :( I've managed to get most of it off but it's left a mark, think I might have to varnish it. Irony is I always put newspaper down to paint/glue but this happens when doing neither!

Anyway today I decided I was getting bored with doing the final highlight on 1 warrior after another... and I was also getting irritated looking at all this new pile of boxes... so 2 birds, 1 stone; I assembled the Chimera, Deamon Prince, more nurglings and a Manticore. I got the trolls all out to assemble but the manticore was a demanding assembly where the instructions MUST be followed precisely and I really didn't fancy 2 of those in a row

I'll aim to get the warriors all finished by the end of next weekend. Which is in time for the end of Feb and fully in line with my goals :)

Next month will be Chaos Knights though I fully expect to not finish them in a month as I'm estimating 50 hours total to paint these guys

Andrew_uk

#28 Post by Andrew_uk »

12 out of 36 warriors now complete :) (well 15 out of 39 technically but I painted the first 3 as test models so they're not part of this batch) I got a little frustrated with doing just the boots on each of the 36 so I just decided with the end in sight to complete this unit; 12 Nurgle Warriors with Halberds and shields

C+C welcome

Teledor

#29 Post by Teledor »

Very snowy! The color scheme looks good.The lime green and purple are a good pair.
Ptolemy

#30 Post by Ptolemy »

Love the green also. Lime is so rarely used. Kudos!

Do you have a list in mind with the new book at this point or did I miss it.