Grays- Avelorn Army - Alith anar conversion PAINTED.

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Gray

Re: Averlorn Army - They came from the north..

#121 Post by Gray »

I've recently expanded my archer core, and was looking for a way to make the unit a bit more interesting so I created this scenic/unit filler. I've always loved the look of overgrown ruins in forests and Averlorn has seen an invasion or 2 in it's time so the broken statue fits.

The base is from Scibor miniatures, it was resin 50mm wide and I've trimmed it down. I painted the crow to be more thrush like from the fence kit to sit on one of the archers shoulders.

It wasn't any quicker than painting 4 guys but it was fun.

Also there are a couple of extra experimental shots of the warriors.

Aicanor
Rainbows

Re: Averlorn Army - Archer unit filler

#122 Post by Aicanor »

I can see why the unit filler took as long as four r&f, very nice. I also like your frosty Chaos army very much, and the standard is perfect.
Also, both the snowstorm pic and the one with the glow suit the army well. What is this glow? A gate opened, burning city (I don't think so, they do not look like returning from war), or some chasm of hell?
Code13

#123 Post by Code13 »

This thread makes me go to my happy place
Gray

#124 Post by Gray »

Aicanor wrote: What is this glow? A gate opened, burning city (I don't think so, they do not look like returning from war), or some chasm of hell?
It's a desk lamp, but your explanation is much cooler :)
Code13 wrote:This thread makes me go to my happy place
Thanks man.
Code13

#125 Post by Code13 »

Seriously, this is one of those threads that both inspires me and makes me want to throw my stuff away and give up lol

It's just edged towards inspiring me - mainly your scenery which is just sublime, and would be a joy to game on
Aicanor
Rainbows

#126 Post by Aicanor »

Gray wrote:It's a desk lamp, but your explanation is much cooler :)
Now I had this image of great desk lamp appearing out of nowhere in the midst of Northern Wastes, Chaos warriors staring at the lightbulb, wondering... Well, everything is possible there. :lol:
Gray

#127 Post by Gray »

Got round to finishing a shaggoth- one of the models that drew me to collecting a Warriors army.

Caradryal

Re: Averlorn Army - Shaggoth

#128 Post by Caradryal »

Looks awesome mate. I really love tht model and I hope it's stats reflect its general awesomeness in the next book. I'd like to see more of them on the gaming tables!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=46653]New Blog - Warlock of the Black Tower(8th Edition)[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=49906]Ogre Blog - The Manglegut Tribe[/url]

[color=#000000]Caradryal's Host (HE) W 1 D 0 L 1[/color]
[color=#FF0000]The Manglegut Tribe (Ogres) W 3 D0 L2[/color]
Dragonlord Hailthir

#129 Post by Dragonlord Hailthir »

Beautiful! Simply beautiful! The WoC army is amazing and your photography is breath taking! =D> =D> =D> =D>
Gray

#130 Post by Gray »

Caradryal wrote:Looks awesome mate. I really love tht model and I hope it's stats reflect its general awesomeness in the next book. I'd like to see more of them on the gaming tables!
Ha ha, thanks man. It just got cannoned off the board in the first turn in it's first game. Interestingly enough in storm of magic it's point cost is reduced. Lets hope they reduce it for the new book and reduce the cost of Griffons for the high elves too.
Karetsu

#131 Post by Karetsu »

The Shaggoth is great already, but I think it could looke more sinister with a very pale white skin for the upper torso, with some veins showing. You don't get very tan in the chaos wastes :D
But as I said, it's awesome already.
Caekface

#132 Post by Caekface »

This is just so good it's silly...
Demigryphs shouldn't exist.
I try to paint. http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40152
Gray

#133 Post by Gray »

Karetsu wrote:The Shaggoth is great already, but I think it could looke more sinister with a very pale white skin for the upper torso, with some veins showing. You don't get very tan in the chaos wastes :D
But as I said, it's awesome already.
Thanks Guys,
He's got a tan as he has no shirt on an gets quite a few hours on deck of the marauder long ship when he goes raiding near the equator. :) How the snow doesn't melt on his base is a miracle of war hammer physics. Yes I did think he could be paler, it's my first major foray into the new flesh paints (my marauders were undercoated with flesh spray) I think I really started with too much of a rich base. As for the veins I gave a them a go on the dragon meets body part but I think they need a bit more practice.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#134 Post by Aicanor »

Gray wrote:As for the veins I gave a them a go on the dragon meets body part but I think they need a bit more practice.
Perhaps a darker line inside the blue would help. Also the flesh highlight above is a little flat. To be honest I didn't notice it until now, your work is great as ever. Love the metals and his face particularly. Unmelting snow? All is possible where Chaos is involved. 8)
Do you have more photos of him?
Gray

#135 Post by Gray »

With the bulk of my starter force finished I've been playing heaps of games, and having a blast.
Sticking to a list and adding reinforcements has been a great way to keep my motivation levels up.

The latest additions to my force are- the hellcannon and skin wolves.
I reviewed the Hellcannon kit and after a bit of reflection I decided to leave a few parts off.
I found the chunky chains and extra spikes were making the whole thing looking a bit like a spiky lump. I wanted the eye to be drawn to the fact it's a whopping great cannon. Also I left of the wheel spikes so the cool details of the gears on the wheels are more visible. The base is also huge so I decided to do a dug in base with a few extras added. I got the barrels from a friends empire cannon kit and I made the earthworks with Balsa, bark and das clay.

The skin wolves were a bit a of a challenge. I wanted to have somthing unique in my army and who could resist chaotic werewolves? the challenge came in painting them. I tried over 6 different schemes, all of the failed.

The reasons were:
- I painted the skin to pink (they looked too pink!)
- I tried to match the wolf fur to a natural wolf fur, the contrast between the skin and fur wasn't good, the model ended up looking very busy.
- It didn't really fit into my force.

I went back to the drawing board and to referred back to my original colour scheme:
The changes I made were.
- I went for darker fur to give the model more contrast between the skin and fur
- The skin colour has a lot of khaki, brown and bleached bone- it still resembles old skin but it's less pink.
- Using the tried and tested colours from the rest of my force really ensured the unit looks at home by the rest of my army.
- I also saved the lightest highlight values for the face -to ensure the eye is drawn to it.
They are very detailed models and if everything is highlighted brightly, I think they would become too busy.

I will be fielding em as Trolls, can't wait to put em on the gaming table.

Gray

Re: Averlorn Army - Arooooooooooo

#136 Post by Gray »

The latest addition to the force is a new chaos Sorcerer. I was really inspired by a picture in the Tumahkaran book picture below. It's not an exact copy but I tried to capture some of it's essence and tie it in to the rest of my force. I uses an empire wizard kit some green stuff and wood elf hooded head and some fine chain. He was actually pretty quick to paint, I did spend quite a bit of time testing out different parts before assembling him. I've ordered the blue scribes and I'm hoping to remove them and use their disk for him.

upload pictures

tinman

Re: Averlorn Army - Sorcerer conversion

#137 Post by tinman »

Dude, that is frik'n awesome!! Nice job... =D>
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#138 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

That is amazing likeness.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Mireadur

#139 Post by Mireadur »

wow everything so nice. I love that chaos warrior BSB. The plastic chaos sorcerer (i mean the one in page 4) is also really really good, you pulled that black robes off perfectly.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#140 Post by Prince of Spires »

Great model. If you hadn't mentioned that he is kit-bashed from different parts then I would have assumed you simply used the model that was shown in the picture. =D>

Great painting as well. The black robes are awsome! And the small details (in the book, on the scarf) are lovely.

Thanks for sharing

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Jimmy
Centurion

#141 Post by Jimmy »

That conversion is great and the paint job matches your efforts.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Myth

#142 Post by Myth »

Great job done! =D> Sorcerer model is awesome.
If the chaos signed was not attached to it, that model could be used for Empire/Elf shadow or death sorcerer/mage as well.

Waiting for new stuff :wink:
Gray

#143 Post by Gray »

Drawing Tinman for secret Santa was a bit of a shock at first, he does such great work I was worried about trying to match it. His colour scheme is quite unlike anything I had done before. I did a bit of homework and went through is blog looking at models for reference and reading the posts for colour and paint techniques. Fortunately there is a lot of good stuff there to draw upon.

I also decided to do something different than I had seen anywhere, so at least if I failed it would be different :)… I scoured my entire bitzbox. my original model was going to be based on a plastic banshee, but I I eventually settled on a chaos sorcerer body. I normally try a lot of different combos of parts, I test them out with blu-tack. The final model is made out of gems from various high elf bits, the sorcerer kit ( with chaos icons and sharp bits removed) the spear from the chariot , the shield from the general kit and a bit of scale mail from the tomb kings.

The chaos sorcereor kit is awesome and is actually really versitle and easy to convert

This is probably my 3rd attempt and NNM it didn't got too badly, I can never quite belive people paint an entire army this way! I'ts nuts. Anyway you always learn something from a project and this one was no exception. Hopefully Tinman enjoys it.

Last edited by Gray on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: Averlorn Army - Secret Santa Project

#145 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I plan on getting one of those models and converting it to High Elves, he seems a bit sunburned though...
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#146 Post by Elithmar »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:I plan on getting one of those models and converting it to High Elves, he seems a bit sunburned though...
The new plastic characters look to have a lot of potential.

Great work, Grey! You put the rest of us to shame. :(
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Aicanor
Rainbows

#147 Post by Aicanor »

Very characterful and proud Asur lord. Perfectly painted, but character is what I like most about your models. They are not just nice dolls.
Don't listen to Ele, the face is as it should be (better, probably :mrgreen:).
Gray

#148 Post by Gray »

Thanks guys, painting this guy made me want to sweep off the chaos projects off the desk and devote myself fully to the High Elves again.
Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:I plan on getting one of those models and converting it to High Elves, he seems a bit sunburned though...
Iook forward to seeing your conversion, what were you thinking of doing?
It's quite a versatile starting piece.

The colours on these shots are really saturated due to the camera mode and lighting. He skin looks pretty different in other shots- like the ones in Secret Santa. Mind you it is summer down under, is it not? perhaps he's been chilling in the sun between battles.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#149 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I'm planning a Reaver Bow BSB, so it'll be pretty simple, head swap, arm swap. There will be a lot of careful filing to remove the Chaos icons though.
Mireadur

#150 Post by Mireadur »

Your chaos is just amazing. I need to learn painting black like you do... Im simply in love with the BSB.

BTW how did you take those artistic shots with the snow falling? Just let drop some snow grass on the model as you took the pic?