Maximizing Multiple units in a single combat

Ask any rules specific questions here
JoeElf

Maximizing Multiple units in a single combat

#1 Post by JoeElf »

I took a few pictures to try and isllustrate my question better. In my example there are three units, A B and C, that will be fighting.

In this picture units A and B are in combat and C will be soon. Lets assume they are man size models in the units.

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q71 ... t_39/1.jpg

Now when unit C charges in should the combat look like this?

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q71 ... t_39/2.jpg

Or should unit B slide over so that the max models in both units will be in the fight looking something like this

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q71 ... t_39/3.jpg

I had this come up in a battle and we played it so that B and C actually slid over so that the max models could fight. It just felt wrong to me but we rolled a D6 to settle it. Thanks in advance

Joe
pk-ng

Re: Maximizing Multiple units in a single combat

#2 Post by pk-ng »

You 2nd picture is correct.

Once a unit is in combat you don't "slide". You only maximise within your condition of battle.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
JoeElf

#3 Post by JoeElf »

Hey Pk-Ng,
Thanks for the reply. I had thought that too. I don't have my BRB and wondered if there was a specific page you might be able to reference?
Joe
dabber
Tactician

#4 Post by dabber »

There is nothing in the BSB anywhere suggesting a "slide" under any circumstances.
Although the awful "finangling" statement on page 22 can be interpretted into anything.
AntaresCD

#5 Post by AntaresCD »

The confusion usually stems from both edition lag and from the fact that you are supposed to complete your charge move in such a way as to maximize the models in contact on both sides.

Your second picture is correct. Units are allowed to hang over in such cases or even end up corner to corner sometimes. This is addressed by using a combat reform after the round of combat ends (assuming a unit on both sides holds).

Summary:
-Maximize as much as possible to both sides using the charge move (no sliding!) - this can (due to intervening units and/or terrain) result in not every model fighting
-Redress lines to bring more models into contact (if you want) by combat reforming if the combat continues.
My code does not have bugs, it has undocumented features...
JoeElf

#6 Post by JoeElf »

Thanks to everyone for the help! I feel better about it and I think I have enough to explain to my group the correct way from now on.