Rainbow Warriors - Princess of Saphery...

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: Rainbow Warriors - Shadow Hunters WIP

#271 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Nice fluff work, there are wolves on the Yvressii side of the Annuli too ^_^
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#272 Post by Elithmar »

Shame your shadow warriors can't actually have two hands weapons. Or maybe you're waiting for the next army book? ;)
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#273 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

That's a character Elithmar, two hand weapons are usable for our Nobles and Princes ^_^
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#274 Post by Elithmar »

I thought it was a champion, okay?! :?

Anyway, I thought characters could only have great weapons. GW might as well take all the other options out. ;)
Aicanor
Rainbows

#275 Post by Aicanor »

Elessehta, the Yvressii Wolves are grey, are they not?

Elithmar, if I play him as a champ, he wil use only one sword, but I didn't have a character with twin weapons, so I thought it would be a good idea to make one. I just might make one a long dagger instead of sword.
They don't necessarily have to be WYSIWYG. Anyway, I have enough characters to cover most options already. :lol:

And of course I would like SW to have additional hand weapon. I think that is just what they need. If I were to make special rules to the Shadow Hunters, I would consider giving them that, or some small blessings of Kurnous. Either no penalty for long distance when shooting, or Wyssan's at the charge. Could be fun.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#276 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Yea, there is a lot about Yvresse that's grey, the wolves are just one of them.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: Rainbow Warriors - High Loremaster poster

#277 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Aicanor wrote:Image
Looks a little awkward position to shoot.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#278 Post by Elithmar »

It would help if he was looking where he was shooting! :lol:
Aicanor
Rainbows

#279 Post by Aicanor »

Thanks for the comment, Swordmaster! It is not perfect, but not really off either. It is possible to shoot from that position. Reminds me a lot of zen archery. In real he even appears to look in the right direction...
I will try to make the next one shoot forward instead of sideways.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#280 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Wolves rarely attack from the front, clearly one is coming from the side, and they've had to turn and shoot.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#281 Post by Aicanor »

They do not hunt wolves, unless they are blighted. But goblins are cunning enough too. :wink:
~Milliardo~

#282 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

It is possible to shoot like that, yes - I do it in me backyard! :3
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:It would help if he was looking where he was shooting! :lol:
I think as long as she puts the eye pupils in carefully, so that they're looking to their left, it'll look fine.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#283 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

~Milliardo~ wrote:It is possible to shoot like that, yes - I do it in me backyard! :3
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:It would help if he was looking where he was shooting! :lol:
I think as long as she puts the eye pupils in carefully, so that they're looking to their left, it'll look fine.
It's not the most natural shooting position out there for a bow (I can't find any kneeling bow positions that are real natural. Straight forward is the best for me, but not near so nice as standing.) But is it possible? Depends in the length of the bow, and the draw length of the user.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#284 Post by Aicanor »

Thanks, Milliardo! I will try and paint him carefully, I quite like him as he is... Your backyard must be interesting place. :D

Shannar, thanks for the comment! I do not have much experience with archery (held a bow a few times in my life, but never learned it properly). I just wanted to use leftover HE archer bitz to make these Elves look more part of the army.
Perhaps there are circumstances when this position can be useful? Hiding from sight or so? Or just to show your enemy you really do not have to stand up to shoot them properly? :lol:
~Milliardo~

#285 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

My backyard is filled with chickens right now - I hate it, because if I roll or kneel like that, there's a 60% (conservative) chance of getting bird excrement on my pants. Because of that, I try to shoot standing up as well, but only after the lights go down. When the sun is out, I shoot crouched so the neighbors won't see and become freaked out over stray arrows that sometimes land in their yard. They're blunted, so I don't see what the problem is... >.>

Shooting from a kneeling position, just like shooting a rifle, is a more steady position, is useful for shooting in ranks, and like you say, you can take advantage of cover better. What I think Swordmaster meant (not trying to put words in your mouth mate!) is that when you're shooting to the side from a kneeling position, your left leg should be down and your right should be bent, like this fellow, or else your thigh can be in the way of the bow string. Its not impossible to get around though, and I've assembled my archers with their bows both to the left and right of the raised knee.

I wouldn't worry about it though - if an idiot novice like me tooling around in the backyard with a longbow can shoot with my left leg up while crouching, I'm sure an elf can!
Aicanor
Rainbows

#286 Post by Aicanor »

Milliardo, you can well be right about what Swordmaster meant (perhaps he will tell us if that's true?). I had to find some more pics to compare, but I can see what you mean now. Would it surprise you if I say I am left-handed?
But I do not see much that can be done with the model to reverse this.

Interesting backyard indeed. Brings back memories. As Legolas once said, it almost makes me feel young again. :lol:
~Milliardo~

#287 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Of course you're left-handed - you're as sinister as they come!
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#288 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Aicanor,

I was concerned with the balance of that posture. Legs are in one plane, while the direction in which arms, torso and bow string is pulled is in a perpendicular plane. It simply didn't look as a stable position for me.

But then it is a fantasy world and everything is possible so I am really not looking for "realistic" explanation etc. He can have magic arrows with built-in magical target tracking system so that he can even shoot in the opposite way but as long as he sees what he is shooting at the arrow will find the way. :)

Another question, if I may. Where did you get models for Wolves?

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#289 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I'm using Fenrisian Wolves from the Space Wolves for my chariot, but the way that one is turned does look like Aicanor is using the same ones.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#290 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

But ... there are no wolves on Fenris :wink:

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#291 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

There aren't any more =P
Aicanor
Rainbows

#292 Post by Aicanor »

Swordmaster,

I am not very familiar with history of Fenris (this seems to be some ongoing galactic joke I guess?), but these wolves are too good to be wasted on 40k. Very nice models and no machinery at all. They are somewhat overgrown, but so are White Lions. :D

Talk of perpendicular planes intriqued my husband's Warlock Engineer so much he drew me a sketch of the discussed Elf (I will probably have to name him now, he's famous!).

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#293 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Aicanor,

Apologies for referencing Horus Heresy books not asking prior to that if you read it. It is not a joke but it seems to become one of these famous sentences which people simply remember after reading it. It might also mean slightly different thing depending which Legion particular person likes but still.

The idea of using animals with units is great. I remember wood elf beastmasters from 3rd edition. The models were much smaller, as even bear looked like a puppy in comparison to Lions and Wolves we have today. Looking forward to see the final effect.

As to the sketch you should ask your husband to add center of gravity and various forces and momentum vectors to show why it is unstable :)

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Aicanor
Rainbows

#294 Post by Aicanor »

Swordmaster, do not worry, I have a Library of Hoeth (a.k.a. internet) to consult. I am afraid the Elf archer is too stable in Skaven standards and the Engineer now rambles about primitive forest folk who are entirely unable of crafting even the simplest warpstone core for their arrow heads. :wink:

I put aside the conversion work for a while to get some painting done. I expect I will have the Ellyrion poster ready in a few days. We'll see...
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#295 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Very nice, can't wait. I still haven't gotten past priming the new guy I made yet ^_^'
Aicanor
Rainbows

#296 Post by Aicanor »

Here he is - my noble, good natured, fun loving Ellyrian poster boy and his faithful steed...

Original pictures:

Poster boy:

Close ups:

Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

Re: Rainbow Warriors - Ellyrian poster

#297 Post by Elithmar »

Brilliant! Poor Lothern poster boy though...

:lol:
~Milliardo~

#298 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Excellent painting! :3
tinman

#299 Post by tinman »

Love the color combos. Very well done!!
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Aicanor
Rainbows

#300 Post by Aicanor »

Milliardo, tinman, thanks!

Elithmar, I am a little sorry for him too. But knowing the Eatainii, he may have provoked the knight. :lol:
It is all my fault really. :wink: