Findolfin Battle Log

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Findolfin

Findolfin Battle Log

#1 Post by Findolfin »

Last Edited on 27/02/12

This a blog about my elven host at 2500 pts, based around a Lothern Sea Guard core unit.

REFERENCE: ( This will get updated page by page as I get more reports done )

About the army and it's evolution
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 97#p748697

Game 8
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 98#p748698

Game 9
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 45#p750245

New list

2nd List
Lady Laetitia: Archmage Lore of Life. General. ( Silverwand, Sword of Shrieiking, Loremaster Cloak, Crown of Command )
Noble BSB ( GW, LongBow, Caledor Armor, Seed of Rebirth, Amulet of Light )
Noble ( GW, Barded Steed, Dragon Armor, Helm of Fortune, Other Trickster Shard, Talisman of Protection )

28 LSG - FC, Shield - Banner of discipline ( shrinked unit )
25 Spears - FC
11 Archers

20 White Lions - FC, Banner of Sorcery ( droped 1 guy )
9 Silver Helms - FC, Shields
5 Dragon Princes - FC - Gleaming Pennant ( Potion of Fool Hardiness, Charmed Shield ) I droped the amulet.
1 Tiranoc Chariot
1 RBT

Original List
Prince : Elven Steed, Dragon Armor, Foe Bane, Enchanted Shield, Vambraces of defense, Gem of Courage
Noble : BSB, Great Sword, Dragon Armor, Crown of Command, Opal Amulet
Archmage : Book Of Hoeth
Mage : Seer Staff

48 LSG, FC, Banner of Arcane Protection
10 Archers
20 White Lions, FC, Lion standard
21 White Lions, FC, Banner of Sorcery
14 Silver Helms, FC
5 Shadow Warriors
RBT
RBT
Last edited by Findolfin on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
A tale of Ellyrion, cavalry army blog:
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=749457#p749457
Painting log:
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=816029#p816029
"We ride until the sun sets..."
Findolfin

Re: Findolfin Battle Log

#2 Post by Findolfin »

The Evolution:

My first game ever was at a friendly tournament of 10 vs 10, 50k vs 50k points. A battle of truly epic proportions properly named the "Titan Clash". It was one of the best experience I had for a long time, and a really hellish start for a beginner who just had bought a new HE army of mainly basic core units, sporting none of our best elite troops except for about 20 white lions.

I did however had a 30 elves strong Lothern Sea guard and 20 maiden guards, all 5th edition metal which made a great core horde unit that saw me trough the day, and is really why I started with the LSG theme. I recently got another 20 batch which helped me alot during my adventure.

The list as been using also a single Silver Helms bus inspired by Seredain Cavalry since day 1 ( big thanks to him ) and has been evolving heavily in that cavalry direction in my game 9 to also incorporate his use of a Dragon Prince unit and a chariot from his 2nd list(I'm guessing I happen to have the very same 5th edition battallion he got :lol: ).

While the 2nd list in my latest game ( game 9 ) did worked, I will be already moving away from it as I want first of all my own unique army style and, while I plan to keep the LSG, I feel the LSG core is not enough to give it that "unique'' status.

About the army

My fighting style is rather fast and brutal, and I feel only cavalry can accomplish it for me backed by Life Lore. I do not plan for 2nd round of CC battles, so getting the charge and breaking the ennemy right now and then, is vital.

The LSG main role is to force the ennemy trough "itchy feet'' to advance into engaging it or getting shot, and also protecting the archmage.

About the lack of redirectors, my play style forbids me from using the big chickens. I hate the concept. I don't like to sacrifice units either. Redirecting is a concept I understand fully but choose not to do. I don't see fluff wise the high elves intentionnally devote sodiers to be used as a ''roadblock''. Maybe under desesperate circumstances but I'd like to think I don't enter a battle in such a spirit...

The Problems:

1- The first problem I faced was getting my ranked infantry units in combat as fast as my cavalry, to achieve the needed CR trough combined arms. While the LSG shooting most often did provoked an ennemy advance to make this easier, i felt it could be improved.

2- 2nd problem, getting bogged down in combat more than 1 round. That's the bane of cavalry and I worked around this with Life Lore by limiting the casualties in such events. Still, stubborn or unbreakable ennemies would still be a big problem. I need a way to deliver more punch to wipe out such units.

3- Transition from 3000pts to High elves ETC 2012 format was tough. I don't really like team play and while I will stay at 2500, I am thinking to move more toward more normal rules for the army.
Last edited by Findolfin on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Painting log:
Findolfin

#3 Post by Findolfin »

Anyways, since I am also new at this battle report , I wanted to start with a more recent game. I did played alot in that short period of time from humble beginings, so here it is.

Game #8
HE vs Beastmens at 3000 points.

Beastmen Army ( bear with me, it's what I recall but it was sure intimidating to look upon )

DoomBull ( General, included in Minos unit )
Great Bray Shamman ( in ungor raiders )
Wargor BsB ( Ghor unit )

29 Ghor
30 Bestighor
40 Unghor
40 Unghor
10 Ungor raiders
8 Minos
1 Razor herd
1 razor hered
1 Cygor
1 Cygor

High Elves
Prince : Elven Steed, Dragon Armor, Foe Bane, Enchanted Shield, Vambraces of defense, Gem of Courage
Noble : BSB, Great Sword, Dragon Armor, Crown of Command, Opal Amulet
Archmage : Book Of Hoeth
Mage : Seer Staff

48 LSG, FC, Banner of Arcane Protection
10 Archers
20 White Lions, FC, Lion standard
21 White Lions, FC, Banner of Sorcery
14 Silver Helms, FC
5 Shadow Warriors
RBT
RBT

Deployment looked like this ( I forgot the 10 archers, they were with RBT )

Spells for High elves were Lore of Life:
Archmage ( Throne of vine, Stone Skin , Shield of Thorn, Regrowth )
Mage selected ( dwellers and useless bolt ) Note, it seems we played the seer staff wrongly, I will have to adress that.

Beastmens selcted Death but he did not got spells he wanted, I don't remember too well what he had but it will not be revelant anyways for this log.

---------------------------------

I was very intimidated by the sheer number of his troops unsure I was releived as he was not intending to use troops poping behind my lines. My strategy was to order a full advance anyways so to have the whole of his army in front, I would not benifit from not having to deal with late comers right away. I was not too happy either to actually lose the first turn to his very advantage, that meant I would not be able to cast stone skin before his first shooting phase and theses 2 cygors sure now looked very very mean...

BEASTMEN turn 1
Magic Phase: I managed to shut him down completely.

Shooting Phase: he barely miss the Silver Helms and score a Bull's eye on my archmage, I elect to let the wound trough rather than look up sir which puzzles him a little. 4 LSG dies splattered.

He order a full advance:

HIGH ELVES turn 1

As you can see in the deployment, he was very intent on matching his Minotaurs against my Silver Helms, but he did not expected my Prince to be in there. Neverthless, he did not seem intimidated. Yet.

Magic Phase:
I start my archmage routine with Throne of vine and stone skin on the LSG, which boost them at T7. Both cast irrisistible and the miscast shielded by the Throne. Life Bloom heals the wound. I like this after effect because it enable you to take some wounds on characters willingly when you can to spare loss of troops on a look out sir. I was actually wondering if it would make including a mounted character in infantry unit actually viable.

Movement Phase: Silver Helms make their charge into the minotaurs, as he grins clearly underestimating them. LSG march straight forward while the White Lions hold. He look at me as if I was commiting suicide.

Shooting Phase:
Poor shooting manage to take out one of the razor herd. Shadow Warriors take out 3 raiders from the Shamman bunker.

Combat: Challenge is taken by Silver Helm champion, who die horribly. However, the charge scores home hard, the Prince foe's bane slice like cutting butter and the lances impales the enormous beasts. 4 of them dies as 5 Silver Helms and mounts crashes to the ground. The Minos loses the CR badly despite the Doom Bull overkill. He then reveals he is stubborn, making his roll...

EDIT (2013): Looking back at this first report, it`s obvious beastmens had moved 10 inch so they were really closer than what I had depicted here. The silverhelm charge was about 14 inchs. I also had moved LSG at point blank for stand and shoot so assume just a bit out of his base movement ( 8-9 inchs), which did actually exposed my flanks. I probably would not dare such a move nowadays :P
Last edited by Findolfin on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Painting log:
Findolfin

#4 Post by Findolfin »

So what I would get from many on the forums at that point is: Why do you run 50 LSG and you are about to see it completely envelopped. My opponent think he is sure to win too.

BEASTMENS turn 2:
Magic Phase: He rolls poor winds and rather tries to dispel my Throne of Vines with his power dices, which he fails.

Movement Phase: He charge from all sides and even reforms his Bestigors before doing so, easily envelopping the LSG who elect to stand and shoot. Now that's one of the reason why I like the LSG. Unfortunately, the Gors T4 means only a couple dies. The razor Herd act as a redirector, I wish I had shooted that one.

Shooting Phase: The Cygors hurls their stones at both White Lions, killing 2 with glancing hits. Raiders oddly manage to kill 2 shadow warriors.

Close Combat: The Archmage issue a challenge to the BSB, who accept it and deals a wound to the elf. The LSG kills quite a few of the Gor in front of them, almost half between CC and S&S. Around 7 of the LSG are killed, most kills coming from the Bestigors between all 3 units while the BSB shrug off a wound with his amulet. He is quite unhappy with his result. The Prince also end up in Challenge against the Doom Bull but gets frustrated by ward saves while he returns the favor saving all wounds. This however means both unit will be locked for a while...

Toughness 7 is nothing to laugh about as he discovered it harshly. Still, he is sure the CR alone will crush the LSG. Until I reveal the crown of command on my BSB and make my roll stubborn with no sweat.

Last edited by Findolfin on Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Painting log:
Findolfin

#5 Post by Findolfin »

HIGH EVES turn 2

Magic Phase: I get a strong wind. But I really only need 2 spells. I cast Sone skin and Shield of Thorns on the LSG, both irrisistible at the despair of my ennemy who now just start to understand how he is in danger.

Movement: Right wing white Lions charge the Ungors, Left Wing charge the Razor Herd who elect to hold.
Shooting: Ungor Horde on RBTs side takes some casualties as well as ungor raiders.

Close Combat: SilverHelms are still locked in that challenge, nothing much happens. The gors are almost anihilated, their BSB dies between the spears and the 10 S4 hits that strike them. The same goes on for the Ungors, flank charged by the white lions and also hit by Shield of Thorns pretty badly. The Bestigors gets also some more deads due to, and did I mention it, heavy thorns tearing into them...

The beastmens loses the CR so badly that it was snake eyes for most of them with their BSB dead. All 3 units breaks. It looks like this ( WL 2 in hot pursuit of the Ungor 2 while other units are destroyed )

Obviously, the beastmens concede, cursing himself for underestimating the LSG horde he viewed as a juicy target. What broke him was 2 combos:

The combo of the Book of Hoeth with the Lore of life's Throne of vines, soaking up miscasts
The combo of Toughness 7 and Shield of Thorns on a stubborn anvil.
Last edited by Findolfin on Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Painting log:
Findolfin

#6 Post by Findolfin »

I hope that report will help understand why I run the LSG as a horde formation like this in my army. At the end of this battle, it was still 30+ strong. Let's review some of the reasons:

- You need Core points.
- The combination of 5 ranks of spear with stand and shoot when you receive the charge.
- One multipurpose unit to buff: Spells in life Lore are single unit augment.
- With the crown of command to make it stubborn, it is a perfect army center when coupled with white lions who share the same.
- One big unit means it won't lose effectiveness over extended fighting contrary to small core units.
- It is hard to predict what the unit will do. Will it shoot, will it charge?
- The eagerness of ennemies to go for it and how easy it is to bait them into a deadly trap.
- If the ennemy ignore it, it sill is a very efficient anvil and nothing prevents you to use powerful hammers like my own version of Seredain Prince Cavalry or the White Lions themselves.
- Their shooting can break stalemate situation where an ennemy wait for the charge.
- It have alot of frontage on all side which complement to it's fullest an underestimated spell like shield of thorns.

I think life magic really complement well a horde unit and makes the cost of running it worthwhile, especially as a stubborn unit. It is an anvil and I dare say a magnetic anvil who seems to draw all attention to it while surviving. If you can get the ennemy to do what you want him to do, it's half the victory.

I now however need to find a way to insure I get the right spells now that I was informed that the seerstaff can't assure that, could use some help on that since the strong point of Life Lore was being able to cast irristible combined with book. Maybe Seerstaff on the archmage herself and a way to generate alot of power dices. I'm not sure.
Painting log:
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#7 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

That one block on Unghor's didn't even get in the game, nice work.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
dabber
Tactician

#8 Post by dabber »

"look out sir" is not optional. It says you do it, not have the option to do it.

How did Silver Helms kill 5 minotaurs? At 7 wide, at most you have 12 attacks plus the Prince, plus 6 horses. The Silver Helms should do 8 hits for 5 or 6 wounds. Even if the Prince is perfect he only does 4 wounds, and the horses average less than 1 wound. Killing 3 minotaurs would be an above average combat round.

Your opponent was foolish to charge a T7 unit. Book of Hoeth should not get that spell up every round, and he did not need to engage then. If he sends in the ungors (who do not belong in horde) and goes after your White Lions, he comes out much better.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#9 Post by Curu Olannon »

The fact that you had LSG here made no difference: if you had marched 50 Spears up it would've had the exact same effect. Engaging T7 Elves is just a really poor decision. Besides, from the diagram his units should all have been in your front - you can't change arc just because there's no room left! Also, as dabber pointed out, you can't not take a look out sir roll.

You noted early on that Beastmen chose Death. This is something that needs to be in his list, prior to the game. You can't choose lores at the start of the game any longer.

In Beastmen T2 you said that your Archmage issued a challenge to his BSB. You cannot choose who you direct the challenge at, in 8th you simply call out a challenge and your opponent chooses 1 to step forward, or refuses (in which case you can choose which is withdrawn).

When using Book of Hoeth, your IF's do not cause miscasts, miscasts only occur on double 6's. Hence you don't need Life and Throne of Vines for protection.

Congratulations on the win! I would consider for a moment what the reasons for your victory were though, instead of jumping to conclusions: your LSG which you are advertising here only shot 20 shots during the whole game (as far as I can see) which didn't accomplish a whole lot: for the same price you could thus field 50 Spearelves (with exactly the same combat potential) and add enough Archers to get off more than 20 shots.

The main reasons you won, in my opinion, were the Book of Hoeth and his poor decision to engage your T7 horde.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Findolfin

#10 Post by Findolfin »

dabber wrote:"look out sir" is not optional. It says you do it, not have the option to do it.
I do not agree. Please check this thread : http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 32&start=0
dabber wrote:How did Silver Helms kill 5 minotaurs?
They killed 4, it's even shown on the image... I did say it hitted hard and yet, they still got bogged down and locked up, that combat had almost no impact on the battle results.

Now guys, was he foolish to charge the T7 elves? With 3 units, one of which was bestigors, he had every reason to beileive he could crush it trough CR at worst case. He would have won every subsequent CR check even with my LSG stubborn afterwards. It's the Shield of Thorns and crown of command he did not anticipated.

Also, he certainly did not expect me to march my LSG like that on first turn. He expected me to stay still and fire a volleyfire. A spear unit would have had less chances to fool him like that since it do not have threat projection. On turn 2 he was too far from both White Lions to make either charges you guys talk about, and it could become T7 White Lions anytime afterward facing the bestigors. If he did not tried to envelop and crush the LSG, his gors with his BsB would have been getting charged by the LSG on my turn and would have been broken for sure since he would still have getting hit by the same T7 + shield of thorns combo and all my ranks for CR. The turn 1 LSG march is were his hand got forced. His Gor unit was forced to take action and so the rest followed.

As for the book of Hoeth, I like the fact I don't have to fear any double 6 and can throw as much dices I want to the few spells I rely upon.
Painting log:
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#11 Post by Curu Olannon »

Since you did not address this particular part of my reply, I'd like to repeat myself: his charge on your LSG is highly illegal. Since there is no room for 3 units to engage your LSG's front, then they simply cannot all charge the LSG! You do not magically charge another arc just because there's no room left.

As such, charging T7 Sea Guard is a suicide mission: to the front he stands a very little chance of winning (or, if he does win, break them).
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Findolfin

#12 Post by Findolfin »

Curu, he did not charge all units to the front, he got both flanks so it was not suicide. As if it was legal, that would be more due to me being a noob with battle chronicler. :lol: I did a bad job to represent the charging angles, those units were closer when we played and the move was legal. The guy actually teached me alot about warhammer and I am confident he did not cheat me.

After the game, he told me he hoped I did not have a crown of command in there and that he really did not anticipate Shield of Thorns. I was not supposed to get a second magic phase after all with my archmage in there.

The only thing he could have done differently is hold his gors, march both bestigors and ungor units past the LSG toward the White Lions. Result would have been a volleyfire from LSG point blank into the gors ( That's were the LSG shine vs spears, threat projection ), the White Lions facing the Bestigor getting T7 and shield of Thorn and charging the Bestigor, breaking them for sure while the other WL could hold their own vs the Ungors. His Minotaurs were about to break too. So he decided to crush the LSG in a pincer attack.
Painting log:
Findolfin

#13 Post by Findolfin »

Some images of my epic first game , 10 vs 10 at 50k points vs 50k points ( 5k each )

Here is an image of the whole battlefield :)

I don't have pictures yet of my army, well I have some of that day but the army was about the only one unpaint, so I'd rather not show thoses :P To be fair to myself, I was asked to replace a guy at last minute and had bought my army about a week prior to this. I'll upload some more later.
Painting log:
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#14 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Findolfin,

Your game was brutal. You fight in a very non-elfy style I must say :) meeting the enemy head on, or even exposing your unit to multiple charges. Sure, you had T7 elves and could afford that move but then you took that Archmage for something.

I think your opponent made a mistake by charging LSG although I think I can understand why he did so. His units are not well protected and with so many arrows directed at his naked beastmen he was probably eager to get to the fight as quickly as possible. Just one note. If I read correctly you said Bestigors reformed during the charge. That is, I am afraid, not possible. You can reform after combat though.

Another question. Who won that big combat? From diagram it looks like you lost your rank bonus but you might have still been steadfast if you lost.

It also seems to me you both fell for the trap of 8th edition rules as beginners when playing larger games you want to take many characters and big units only. :) That was bigger problem for your opponent since he committed 3 regiments and exposed his flanks for counter-attack. Be careful in the future as the army with more re-directors will block such attempt with easy.

It is important to get the rules right so that you do not base your tactics for future battles on something illegal. I assume that such mistakes (if there were really made as in the case of "illegal" flank charges where only the BC diagrams were wrong) come from being a beginner.

Would be nice for other people who posted here to be less aggressive in pointing out any inconsistencies too. First, you had your first games too and you did make mistakes too. Second, when you posted your first reports I do not remember people being so negative towards your games.

Findolfin, you asked in another topic how to scale down the 3000 army to 2400 with ETC format. That is indeed difficult. The quickest way would be to get rid of one lion unit and make SH smaller. You might also consider scaling down LSG a little too, as they are worth more than 600 points. And then play games with these rules to get accustomed to them (i.e. what to expect in other armies)

Good Luck!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Findolfin

#15 Post by Findolfin »

Hi Swordmaster, thanks for the encouraging words.

For who won the big combat, he did win on his charges, but my BSB had the crown of command in there too. It is a very valuable unit with 2 characters but it makes it hard to dismiss. So there was a little gamble, there was still a small chance of breaking on rerollable LD9. On my round I won the combat due to White Lions flank charge. I probably should have kept dmg from shield of thorn aside in the graphic since they were not counted toward CR. So I think it was 3 ranks from WL vs 5 for his bestigors, 2 standard vs 5 so +1 for him ( yep, he stole the arcane protection banner with a unit ) so I was at minus 3. We each had flanks only but I had one charge and inflicted enough casulaties to force him to roll on 2s and 3s. I remember we had a small argument about if we counted or not the White Lions ranks, but then again he rolled high on his Bestigor Ld test so we dropped it. Good to know he could not make a LD reform with his musician before charging, I'll take that in note. Edit: Also now reverified rules and I was right to count White Lions ranks which was my best rank bonus for that multi-combat.

I can understand multiple big units probably did not work at his advantage in retrospective. On the other side, I'm still sold to the idea of at least 1 of theses Big Block in the army as long it is stubborn. And yes he was lucky I don't use redirectors. I know how to use such redirectors but I totally hate the idea of the eagles on a battle field like I totally hated them in LOTR when they could have dropped the ring airborne in the volcano from the begining... but that is entirely another thread. :lol: Suffice to say I don't have the figurine and will NOT have them. My opponent knew that and exploited it, good for him.

Kidding aside, I saw however a good thread on Ellyrian Reavers on redirecting trough feigned retreats, this is an idea that could probably be sold to me but like you said, I like to brutally charge so I am not too fond of such strategies. I like to meet my ennemy head on but I won't deny myself a good flank charge if I can get one. I guess that's why it's very important for me to rely on tough units , either trough augments or stubborness ( or both ). White Lions are just brutal in that aspect. A pity I cannot use named characters in the games since that epic tourney, I would not get out of the house without Khoril if I could. :)

For the ETC rules, it seems I will actually have no choice to follow your advice due to maximum of 45 shooting models and 40 men units at 500 points limit. Which won't allow me more than a 38 strong LSG anyways. Dark days ahead. I'll post a first draft soon .

Thanks for the feedback
Painting log:
Findolfin

#16 Post by Findolfin »

Here it is:
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 58#p749458

Will be trying it out tomorrow : High Evles and Kislev vs Ogres and Orcs & Goblins. :D
Painting log:
Findolfin

#17 Post by Findolfin »

Finally finished my report, so here it is:

"The elven ship was gracefully moving on the river bed, manoeuvring trough the ice shards. On it’s deck, Lady Leatitia was taking in the cold damp air, a cold mist appearing with every breath. It had been days since they had left the sea of claws and they had ventured past Erengrad, into the heart of the Kyslevites kingdom.
Even inland, however, she felt dangers were lurking on the river banks. Probably far greater ones than what she had seen at sea. She had heard of Tzarin Katarin, and how her people were fighting daily for their very survival against the Chaos hordes of the Northern Wastes. Still, nothing looked like any of these tales. Besides the eerie calm of the winter, the land seemed to sleep under a snow blanket.

She would have loved to get to talk to the Tzarin one day, as she herself was a promising young archmage, but for now, it would have to wait. She had taken place aboard the elven trade ship, first and foremost, to investigate the possibility that the horn of Isha might had been found. Averlorn had even provided her with a personal guard of handmaidens, so serious the issue was for them. Her thoughts were interrupted when the crew announced they had reached destination, a small town near the world edge mountain, deep within Kislev frontiers.

The day went by, as she made herself at home in the small inn. Tomorrow, she would go find out if the rumour was true. It was in the middle of the night that she bleakly understood that her order of the day had been changed for her.

Distant crude gun powder sound kept her awaken, growing louder and louder over time as the battle seemed to get closer. Early in that morning, she went to the balcony, overseeing the main room of the tavern when she heard the elven captain discuss with a Kyslevite soldier. Both males looked at her when they noticed her presence.

- "My lady, our host informs us that the fighting is more serious than the garrison commander had expected. Ogres and Night Goblins from the mountains have advanced in the town outskirts. They ask for our assistance."

Laetitia understood what it really meant, their lines were about to break and the town would be overrun. She gave only a slight nod for answer, feeling suddenly colder…"

And so the battle begins… The forces of goodness get to deploy first and here is the deployment. I will mainly focus on my side of the battle during this report.

The roll for my spells result in everything except Dwellers Bellow. Nope, I did not rolled a single double. Still, I got Throne of vines and flesh to stone. The kyslevites have no mage, only priests. This later fact will come bite me in the back all game long.

DEPLOYMENT
The two building and dangerous terrain piece makes me deploy my formation awkwardly tight and I was not willing to spread on the Kyslev side. I try to pair the Silver Helms with the LSG and the Chariot with the spears for possible combined arms charge. I am still not too happy with the end result, the ogre forces placed their last 2 drops against Kyslev while the gobos deploy some units against me, including some spider riders. While I am fairly sure I can hold the ‘’Mill’s street’’, I will have a hard time to devote more than two units in the center. At least, my RBT and archers are correctly placed.

OGRES 1st Movement phase
The Ogres go first. Ogres Bull advance in the trench, goblins units position themselves behind them. The move I was not expecting is the vanguard of spider riders climbing over the mill… and now suddenly threatening the silver Helms flank. Another unit of them garrisoned the building after their vanguard move and threaten with their bows.

OGRES Spells&Shooting
The Ogre most potent spell , a template characteristic test is dispelled and destroyed by a powerful scroll from Kyslev. Goblins buff some of their units, nothing relevant outside of rendering their main goblin archers unit an unlikely target for shooting. We also learn that he got the staff which steals dispel dices…

Shooting phase does not kill a single High elf despite a concentrated fire on the White Lions who shrug off everything, even the lead belchers fire. I am pretty proud of them at that point. On Kyslev side, casualties are up to more than 20 dead…

"Laetitia could hear the cries of agony on the far away right flank, mens dropping dead by the dozen. She was not used to the loud thunder of black powder arms and the smoke that filled the battlefield. Her eyes were stinging and her breath was impaired.

Still, she could see the White Lions still standing, proud as always they were shrugging off shrapnels like it was peebles. Ahead on the gloomy Mill's street, huge brutes emerged from the smokes banging on deadly armored fists with their clubs. The Silver Helms were steady, her brave captain composure was if he was made of marble, letting trough no emotion except maybe a faint disdainful snarl at the ennemy once his eyes met the spider riders crawling over the mills on his left and entering the burned building on his right. "

HIGH ELVES 1st Movement
At the Mill’s Street, I was planning to wait one turn to get a combined charge from LSG and Silver Helms but the spiders riders had my flank. As fragile they may be, those spiders riders could very well get 15 attacks for 4 in returns ( mounts included ). For the silver helms, staying put was no longer an option. Reforming to face the gobos was not an option either and I needed to get rid of that nuisance asap.

For either the LSG or Spears, it is too long of a charge to get to the ogre bulls. I decide for a frontal charge from the silver helms and the Chariot, which they easily make. With the helms out the way, the LSG versatility now comes into play, and that’s why gentlemens I so love them, as they swift reform to face the spider riders. Spears advance.

In the center, white lions advance with the Kyslevites swordsmen’s and halberdier toward enemy lines. Dragon Prince can’t make it trough the narrow space between the building and dangerous terrain patch and elect to move toward the left near enough the building to conduct an assault if needed. To be honest, that DP’s move was not very productive.

HIGH ELVES Spells&Shooting
Magic is uneventful, I manage throne of vine but everything else is dispelled despite all dices at flesh to stone, which is cancelled by a dispel scroll. I miss the book. This gets more infuriating since Kyslev priest spells are easily dispelled which leaves both ogres and goblins to almost freely shut down my magic phase.

Shooting see the LSG take out enough spiders to force a panic test that they fail, they run off the board. That threat is at least gone. Repeater fire does not accomplish anything. Archers take out some spiders in the building but they hold. Kyslev war machines are a disappointment, missing their mark.

HIGH ELVES Close Combat
The dual charge delivers a lot of dmg but 3 silver helms are taken out. The trickster shard frustrate the ogre player with forced ward reroll of several 6s. He fails his CR roll on insane courage. Theses ogres bulls low weapon skill and strength 4 suddenly don’t feel to threatening for my Helms armour saves.

I now realise an hidden threat as I am about to declare a pursuit, theses gobos might hide fanatics. I am in fact sure they do, looking at the grin of the player behind them.

I elect to restrain the helms from pursuit and they hold. The ogres are catch by the chariot and they die, sliced by the scythes. As I suspected, chained balls flies into the chariot, giving two wounds, the chariot overrun is too short to get to the goblins formation.

"His lance upheld high, Prince Lorik gave a smile to her as he sounded the charge, spurring his mount into galop closely followed by all the silver helms. The Chariot also charged. Soon she saw them all crash in the ogres in a loud impact of steel against steel but despite their hulking body, the ogres legs were cut by scythed wheels as their body were impaled by long razor sharp lance.

Volley of arrows flew as the pierced vile spiders convulsed on the ground. Confident, she started weaving her powerful life magic to heal her brothers but as she unleashed the ebbing flows, it simply all disapeared. Amid her panic, only the pitched sound of a goblin laughter enabled her to make eye contact with the culprit... "

OGRES 2nd Movement
Gnoblars tries to impress the gallery by attempting a charge on silver helms, running through a fanatic. Gnoblars fails the charge , heads are smashed by the chain ball and they panic, fleeing off the board a round later. Everyone get a good laugh.

On Mill’s Street, The squig herders charge the HE chariot while a new wave of Ogres bulls advance. Another goblin unit advance, probably hiding a another wave of fanatics. At this point I am fearing the goblins way more than the Ogres…

In the center, the Ogres and goblins consolidate their position, with the monstrous Stone Horn looming behind them. They understand they actually have the upper hand in the shooting department and that we must charge next turn. Squig hopers hop ahead.

OGRES Spells&Shooting
Spell phase is a strong one. It also see gobos frustrate me in the dispel department. The Kyslev priest, who don’t have ‘’levels’’, uses all their dices to dispel the first gobos spells. I am then forced to dispel the goblins spells since every success they get enables him to drains 1 dispel dice. Short story, the ogres manage to get off a 4+ regen ward in a 12’’ radius. This is pretty bad.

Lead Belchers, catapult, doom divers, Stone Horn mounted war machine, goblins archers and spider archers fire at will. Goblin catapult crumbles and is destroyed on misfire. Still, the onslaught take out lots of Kyslev soldiers, and I am feeling my ally can’t take much more of that. One Dragon Prince is taken out and after about 4 volleys, 1 white lion finally fall.

OGRES Close Combat
On Mill’s Street, squig herders and the chariot does not manage to wound each other, both hold.

The outriders are completely overran, wolf riders makes into contact with riflemens while hoppers and chariot hit the Kyslevite Lord. I am still unsure why his lord stayed put the round before tbh.
On the right flank, the empire greatswords who made contact with the Ogres cavalry on the far right flank, manage to hold despite heavy losses, including the great sword’s champion in duel.

HIGH ELVES 2nd turn Movement
With no opening to charge the ogres, the squig herders threatening to explode at any moment and the threat of another wave of fantic, the Silver Helms back up a little to reform the line with the spears, preparing for a new combined assault.

The LSG moves toward the center battle, placing itself to be in casting range of all units. Dragon Princes decides to swift reform 3 wide to get through the small gap in front of the lead belchers ( I should have done that turn 1… )

In the center, my ally under heavy fire, press me into action for a massive joint charge. Swordmens, Halberds and White Lions declare charge. My white lions are to take care of the Iron Guts, which I underestimate like the Ogre Bulls. Besides, I leave an opening so swordsmen’s can combine some attacks while they also tackle the goblin archers. We plan on using my archmage shield of thorn on the swordsmen’s to affect both the iron guts and the goblins archers. He says that his halberds should be able to decimate enough goblins despite the ward save.

And so the disaster begins. Goblins fanatics are released, 4 white lions are killed outright and a couple of halberds. The goblins stand and shoot kill some more halberds. Both Kyselv units fails what was an easy charge leaving only the White Lions to make contact…

HIGH ELVES 2nd Magic and Shooting phase.
I throw all dices at Flesh to Stone, hoping for IF. Alas, it does not happen and the Gobos use their own dispel scroll, furthermore stacking odds against the white lions. Earth Blood is also dispelled but I oddly get shield of Thorns trough with 1 dice. It does some dmg but 4+ ward negate much of it.

LSG fire into the spider riders holding the building, kills all but 4 which flees. Repeater Bolt Thrower and archers fires everything into the goblins archers, killing only a few due to the regen ward. Kyslev manages to finally take the second Lead Belchers unit with a concentrated fire and war machine.
HIGH ELVES close combat

At Mill’s street, Chariot actually wins CR and squig herders explode, the enraged squigs taking chariot with them, an ogre bull and several goblins nearby.

On the far right flank, Kyslev great swords and mercenaries, despite the loss of the priest in duel with hunter, wins the multi-combat against the ogres by +1 due to their musician breaking the tie. The Goblin player jokes saying it was no great feat of the Kyslevites but rather an impromptu apparition of zamphir and his pan flute scaring the ogres to death. Whtever it was, the great sword successfully pursue the ogres cavalry, killing them, but the hunter and his sabre cats successfully get away.

On the center, the white lions find another bad surprise waiting for them. I did not read carefully the Stonehorn numbing chill ability, thinking it was only base to base. Result is that the White Lions now go by initiative and won’t be able to reroll to hit. Even worse, I actually manage to fail the fear test on double 6…

To sum it up, no flesh to stone, no Kyslev backup due to failed charge, no reroll and WS 1 against Iron guts with a regen 4+. The White Lions fails to inflict even 1 wound and are slaughtered until only the champion remains ( I wished at that point he would die to prevent a pursuit ). Low and behold, despite stubborn, seeing all his lion pride butchered, he turn tail and is catched by the ogres in pursuit. A sad moment in the game for me. It is looking bad in the center.

"Among the clash ahead, Laetitia could see squigs going frenzy on their own troops, chained balls flying around and smashing the elven chariot, gnobblars splattered to the ground. among the utter chaos, the Silver Helms pained to maintain formation. The elven spears rushed forward past her while the battle standard bearer near ordered a new change of formation, arrows soon flying past her head.

And then she saw it... the fateful charge of the white lions. Kyslev mens shot down by deadly projectiles, attempted also a full charge but canon fire soon disrupted their formation. Once shecould see trough the smoke, only the elven warriors had made it but a terrible cost. A cold mist overtook them, their arms and legs were litterally frozen in place as chilling fear overtook them when they realised their ally did not made it. The sight of the colossal Stone Horn and the Iron guts in front of them did not help either...

Laetitia gritted her pearl white teeths and throwed all the power she had to conjure her most powerful protection. The cold air crackled around her as sparks of energy were appearing. The elves around her went uneasy as they now knew she was tapping into tidal forces. Still, she kept control and her spell was truely powerful, even for her. As hope washed upon her, despair came even faster as she was knocked back in the air, falling on the ground. The sinister laughter could be heard again. Tears in the eyes, she could not understand what happened.

Heavily breathing, all she could do is watch in despair as the white lions were utterly butchered. The monstrous brutes even ate some of the elves right on spot in a grisly blood bath. Next would follow the mens of Kyslev. This was more than she could endure, and soon she fainted."

OGRES movement 3
In center, the Butcher and his ironguts charge the ‘’Bears’’ who don’t live to their fluff, inflicting only 2 wounds and getting also butchered in the subsequent CC phase. The blood soaked Ogres continue toward the crossbows mens.
At mill’s street, Ogres and goblins advance for a renewed assault, having gained back some confidence from the center massacre.

OGRES Magic Phase & Shooting. Magic is successfully shutted down. Shooting sees 2 archers, some halberds and x-bow men are taken out, some units on right side are also hit a little. Lead Belchers open up on the dragon Princes but their heavy armor deflects every kitchen tools and metal scraps projected at them.
OGRES cc

Besides the ‘’bears massacre’’, the hopers and chariot manage to kill the General of the Kyslevites. However several of them are killed in return and the enraged Great Bear stays to defend the corpse of his master. Wolf riders don’t manage to finish the crew of the Hell Blaster.

On following image, Goblin 3 G3 were actually destroyed by the "exploding" squig herder unit.

HIGH ELVES movement 3
Still reeling from the last OGRES assault, High elves declare an all out counter-charge. The Drake master drinks his foolhardiness portion. The Dragon Prince horses and lances gain momentum as their thin formation run trough the gap at full speed and crashes into the Lead Belchers.

On Mill’s Street, The Silver Helms sound the charge on the ogre bulls, closely followed by the spears in a successful combined arms assault.

Inspired by the elven charge, the halberds finally charge the goblin archers losing more men to the stand and shoot. They at least make sure not to be within the numbing chill aura as they clash with the green skins.
HIGH ELVES Magic and shooting.

High elves magic is again completely shut down by the combined effort of Ogres and Goblins. Still no IF. The Kyslevites manages a buff on halberds

All available shooting goes toward the Butcher and his Iron Guts, taking out 3 of them and severely wounding the rest. I am thinking at this point that a gnobblar lookout might not be a great thing for that unit.
High elves CC

The combined charge on Mill’s street easily breaks the ogre bulls with no losses this time, and the silver helms overrun into the goblin ballista. Spears lose 3 elves to a goblin fanatic but hold and reform to face the goblins

The Drakemaster spear hits home hard as he kill a Lead Belcher singlehandedly, the spear driving trough to hit his companion behind for 1 more wound ( 4 wounds! ). His shield deflect the lone counter hit on him while his brother shrug off the ogres desperate attempt to swing their canon at them. They run them trough, reforming behind the enemy lines.

Halberds take out several goblins but both formations hold.

At this point, It is 5am in the morning, so we call it a ‘’night’’ . Despite Kyslev horrendous losses all over the place, most of their units are still on the table but they did lose their General ( but not the GREAT Bear  ). Goblins lost some units but are still in overall good enough shape to fight. Ogres however have lost a lot of their army and aside the wounded hunter and the StoneHorn, don’t have much left to fight except for the near death command unit of the Butcher which the LSG is marching against. On my side, only the White Lions were lost.

It’s a minor victory overall for the forces of good as the Ogres and Goblins are repelled.

"Laetitia woke up shaken, the battle was still going on but she could see the elven cavalry had breached the enemy line and was threatening the ennemy's rear. Kyslev forces had also taken the right flank and were repelling the last wolf riders. In the center the ogres had lost their momentum. The battle was over, a gloomy horn from the huge mamooth like beast sounded an ordered retreat.

That night, the elves had made friends among the kyslevites people as they all honored the dead Bear Lord and those who had fallen. The elves honored the white lions as the maiden guards cried for their averlorn wood brothers. Victory was hollow but at least, the small town and the rest of them were alive... "

Disclaimer: I did what I could with Battle Chronicler. In doubt refer to images. I hope you will find the report entertaining. I will comment later.
Painting log:
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#18 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Ye gads that was pretty epic, nice work!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Findolfin

#19 Post by Findolfin »

Well, it's been all quiet on my side lately, most of my time devoted to family. Still, I managed to start some painting and I think found the color scheme I'm going to use after my wife painted the Lady Letitia ( Arielle's model ). She is a league ahead of me when it comes to painting. :oops:

Yes, I have been trying to convince her painting my whole army but she said she only will paint what she likes and the colors she wants. Thing is I had initially planned and expirimented for the classic silver, blue and white, and had asked her to paint my lady those colors. Low and behold, I got golden and red "burgundy". :lol: The model is however really beautiful so hard to complain and it at least made for a fun activity together.

You'll see in the pics that I tried to match one of the spearmen on the same color scheme, and while it is mostly tabletop gaming quality, I am pleased with the result and probably start the mass painting so I can present my opponents with a painted army, which is the least one can do.

Also, something seems off with the focus of my camera, so the pictures ain't top quality so bear with me. I'll get better quality pics later.

As always, feedback is apreciated :)

P.S: I do have a friendly game scheduled next saturday against the Empire , will soon share what will become hopefully my own standard army list
Painting log: