Brian Mages Elves - Phoenix, Reavers, Sisters, Helms WIPS

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

Re: Brian Mages Elves - Tree Hugging Hippies, update Pg3 BSB WIP

#91 Post by Elithmar »

Grumble grumble

Excellent work, that BSB is awesome! Your green stuff skills... :shock: :cry:

Can you do my Asrai? [-o<

;)
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Sturen

#92 Post by Sturen »

although the horses robes do have fingerprints
Try a little liquid GS? It's pretty awesome for smoothing anything from a gap in a metal model to fingerprints in GS. Just be sure to water it down.

And those wood elves are... wow! Crazy good! One thing that I've never liked about wood elves is the forest spirit side, but those look fantastic... there's so much forest on those models that the forest spirits look right at home!
My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#93 Post by Elithmar »

HeAR, hear! Liquid green stuff is amazing. I picked some up on Thursday, and I'm loving it! No more of those gaps where the two horse parts join...

;)
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
archvile

#94 Post by archvile »

that's just amazing!!
How did you make the GS robes on the horse? the detail is so fine, don't tell me you did that with just your hands and a knife . If I would try something like that, fingerprints would be the least of my troubles..
Nice work, big fan of the white high elves btw ;)
Giladis
The Merlord

#95 Post by Giladis »

Breath taking stuff mate I am positive one of my friends will find a lot of inspiration in this.
Brian Mage

#96 Post by Brian Mage »

:D
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Sturen wrote:Try a little liquid GS?
I have tried that actually, you can see on one of the robes the green has some darker swirls and stuff. I however did not do the following
Sturen wrote:Just be sure to water it down.
So that a really good tip, cheers mate :)
archvile wrote:How did you make the GS robes on the horse?
I made a press mould out of some old antique vase/urn thingy. I then was able to apply that pattern to the greenstuff.
I have actually managed to make a much finer detail one now. So i may well end up making another version of this guy in the future.

I am a little limited in my ideas for Spellweavers in the army. Currently i am just using the male spellsinger model. I have greenstuffed him up to look like Bob Marley, with the rest of the elves, but i think there must be a better idea out there somewhere. I would love to hear your thoughts on what could be done for both a mounted and non mounted spell caster.
I have put a branchwraith on top of the CMON Great Owl, I just need to forest it up a little and that will look ok, but i still need some other options.
Giladis wrote:I am positive one of my friends will find a lot of inspiration in this.
Glad to hear that! Genuinely. Its by seeing other peoples work that motivates me and gives me ideas too :D
Jimmy wrote:What's the recipe for your white on the white lions?
Depends which bits really.
The Non-Scale-Armour parts are layers of watered down white. I'd say about 4 or 5. These are applied straight to the white undercoat. Not attempt to highlight what so ever.
The scale armour is mythril silver, washed with asurmen. The each plate is painted individually with white. 2 coats. once total model is completed the gloss is applied to each scale and the other armour/weaponry parts too.
The Cloaks are space wolves grey base, then a watered down asurmen blue wash just on the model where the cloak folds to add a little definition. And the a few coats of dry brush. When drybrushing white i find it best to do 2-3 layers. and make sure you give it time to dry. If you try and rush, the white buikds up, doesn't dry and eventually gets pushed into the detail you are trying to show off.

I'm hoping to have some headway on some wardancers by end of tomorrow. No promises tho!
I also got another Thief of Hearts (my eagle people) which I will be painting up in a very High Elven fashion
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
erdbeerchen

#97 Post by erdbeerchen »

I am VERY impressed! Your units are like art nouveau :D
tinman

#98 Post by tinman »

That BsB is awesome!! I am actually a little jealous :mrgreen:

What is this liquid green stuff mentioned?..
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#99 Post by Prince of Spires »

tinman wrote:What is this liquid green stuff mentioned?..
basically it's what it sais. It's a kind of green stuff that comes in a paint bottle and can be brushed on to fill small gaps etc. It's said to work realy well, though I haven't tried myself yet. Works a lot faster and better to fill gaps like those between the head and body of horses, or the line on the back of the chariot lions.

Check out Liquid green stuff linky for info.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
tinman

#100 Post by tinman »

rdghuizing wrote:Check out Liquid green stuff linky for info.
Thanks!! I have never seen this before. Revolutionary stuff :) - I am going to get me some.
Lord Anathir

#101 Post by Lord Anathir »

Looking great dude. I'm interested in the bases. What do you use for the bark? Also the mushrooms and leaves are purchased or scratch built?
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Brian Mage

#102 Post by Brian Mage »

Lord Anathir wrote:Looking great dude. I'm interested in the bases. What do you use for the bark? Also the mushrooms and leaves are purchased or scratch built?
Cheers
The bases are Micro Art Studio and are resin casts. They have the mushrooms and bark on there. you have to paint them and that, but are basically just another bit to the model.
The brown leaves are actually leaves. bought them off of ebay.
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
Lord Anathir

#103 Post by Lord Anathir »

I'm defo ordering my bases from there. Its just a euro per infantry model, which isnt that much considering I'd be saving money from buying rocks/sand/flock/moss/and extras (and they're resin!)
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

Brian Mage

#104 Post by Brian Mage »

Their own store is really good. They give you points every time you buy. Once you get 100 points you get 10 euros free. Nice little perk for stuff I would have bought anyway!

YouCan buy them from other sellers too on ebay and that

Lord Anathir

#105 Post by Lord Anathir »

Tough to pick between the forest bases and the winter forest bases, but i'm leaning towards the latter. You models don't have too many primary colours in them which means the forest bases pop out nice and bright. However my own scheme is going to be blue cloth and orange metal, meaning the white snow bases will compliment them. How to paint snow resin anyways... just coat it white?

Brian Mage

#106 Post by Brian Mage »

Lord Anathir wrote: How to paint snow resin anyways... just coat it white?
Yeah, i think to be honest thats the best bet - when i look at thier painted examples on the website thats all they have done. The worry will be to make sure it does not look like cake icing. I reckon some of the snow basing kit from GW will be a nice thing to "dust" over the top

Two unit update, the wardancers were an hair dressing experiment at the very very start of this project so their Hair-do's are quite, um... fat. but they needed painting. consider them test wardancers

The Waywatchers are such good models i couldn't bring myself to convert them at all. Nothing more than creative bases and a decent paint job!

The dude on the far left looks a little "slow of mind" i did not notice this until i took the picture. He looks normal from human eye view. A lot less like he was dropped as a baby! :wink:

Was alittle gutted with GW.com for my waywatchers. I ordered 6 and got 2x3. so if anyone has the two models i am missing, i will gladly buy them off you. they are hard to get on ebay and that

I hope to have the BSB, Dryads and Glade Guard done by the end of the week. (there are 2 BSB's now btw!)

Comments etc FTW!

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: Brian Mages Elves - Tree Hugging Hippies, Another Update

#107 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Waywatchers are brilliant models, only made better when you touch them. The wardancers came out good for a test unit, one of them looks a litle silly but the others go all right.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Flaxis

#108 Post by Flaxis »

Brian Mage,

Those are some great looking models and painting, I just hope I can do my models the same justice. Great idea on the Eagle - have got that model also now, thanks for you inspiration on that.

All the best,

Flaxis
PogueMahone

Re: Brian Mages Elves - My Eagles

#109 Post by PogueMahone »

Brian Mage wrote:Here are two of my eagles - they are also used in my woodelf army which is why they look far more treehuggy than the rest of my stormtroopers!

In game, these can either be eagle mounted nobles/lords or just plain eagles. Fluffwise... I just say they have such a strong connection with the eagles that they erm... grew wings... #-o !

The leaves and moss on the cloaks were put on by me, but the rest of the model is out of the box. Bases are Microart Studio
Hi Brian, how's it going?

Where did you get these models from, or did you make them? I had a look through the thread, but couldn't see any reference to where they were purchased or how they were made. Thank you.
Brian Mage

#110 Post by Brian Mage »

These models are by Dark Sword Miniatures. I found them cheaper on ebay than direct however. They are called Thief of Hearts and/or Fallen Angels

Ptolos

#111 Post by Ptolos »

Super nice army, I have really enjoyed meandering through your post. I can paint ok but I'm not very green fingered as my images post shows. What is the key? (Im guessing its not fertiliser!)
Fleet of Gaen Vale: [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40170[/url]
Brian Mage

Re: Brian Mages Elves - Some pre-tournament vanity

#112 Post by Brian Mage »

I couldn't resist.

I've not played in about 6mths but have a 2 day tournament tomorrow. yikes.
I'm taking my HE's but me mate needed an army so he is taking the Woodies for an outing too.

I was just "polishing" them up and couldn't resist taking some vanity shots to share here.

So here you go!

tinman

Re: Brian Mages Elves - Vanity Fair

#113 Post by tinman »

I am loving this army!! :D :D
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#114 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I love the contrast, your Asur are so bright and clean, and your Asrai, look dirty and worn.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Gizmos

#115 Post by Gizmos »

Love the army, particularly the swordmasters. I cant help but ask, had you been watching Krull before you started painting, the armour is very similar to the armour of the bad guys in that, got that nice smooth almost "eldary" psychoplastic look to it.
Oldschoolgameroo

#116 Post by Oldschoolgameroo »

Wow!! This stuff is absolutely amazing. Have a few pet peeves but that is purely my tastes versus the quality of work!! Did you ever figure out the gems? What I do for those is paint black, use a super dark grey for my 'shine' and a small white dot.

That may have been stated elsewhere but I was honestly so excited looking at pics that I stopped reading :roll:

The Wood elves are superb! My only beef is that that the hair/dreds look too smooth to my eye but once again that is my personal pet peeve as they look brilliant and a lot of the GS you do would take me forever to do as I am slow and too much of a perfectionist and my own worse critic!

I am a recent convert to Fantasy and I hope my HE will look half as good as yours!
Brian Mage

Re: Brian Mages Elves - Updates coming...

#117 Post by Brian Mage »

So, I normally end up with a few tournaments under my belt in the last half of the year. I'm starting with toy solider 2013 this time and am now in need of new toys!

In the next 3 weeks I will be posting
10 reavers
2 frosthearts, one with an Annointed
10 Sisters
9 silverhelms
Bolt throwers
And a couple more archers.

I hope you like them.
Laters, potatoes (that only works in a northern UK accent)

jayzerus

#118 Post by jayzerus »

So in a northern UK accent, does that sound like laters potaters? Or latoes potatoes?

I guess later taters would work too...
Brian Mage

#119 Post by Brian Mage »

Ha!

laters potaters btw

whatawittyname

#120 Post by whatawittyname »

Loving the hair on the woodelf models. It's a superbly simple idea, but makes your army totally different to anyone else's. Well done.