Brian Mages Elves - Phoenix, Reavers, Sisters, Helms WIPS

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Brian Mage

Brian Mages Elves - Phoenix, Reavers, Sisters, Helms WIPS

#1 Post by Brian Mage »

This blog will be for both my High Elves and my Wood Elves (WE's from Pg3)
    This is my starting point, a long long time ago, in a house far away... (i've moved 3 streets away)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this may ended up being the slowest updating blog since Mj's "My tour so far", for that I appologise, but hey I need a reason to get off my backside and finish it all.

I started collecting HE again in winter 09 after a long few years off. I'd thrown away my old army (yep... [-X ) and had to start from scratch.

I went to my local GW shop and bought the battalion, a lion chariot, 10 white lions, Korhil and the wizard set too. Simple idea was to do a Chrace themed army. As you will see, that idea didn't last too long at all! I'm very much a magpie and when i see something new and shiny it gets all my attention.

I've decided to not break the mould too much with my colour scheme - White! yawn... However I want to use the white for some of the armour/weapons too, giving a Lacquered or Ceramic effect. Once Satin sprayed, I will 'Ard Coat the white and it should look pretty special. I'll be doing this for most units where appropriate.
    The fabrics will all be highlighted up from Astrnomican grey, space wolves grey to skull white (those greys are blue to my eyes!) Gems will be black and other colours will be kept to a minimum - possible golds here and there, but not so much.

There are pictures of my dragon on a different thread found HERE Those red gems, those that I said were black... well, they are black, honest :^o (I'll address that when I'm more confident)

I'll focus this page on the full army and keep it updated as I progress. Hopefully you'll see my painting standards improve with your tips and ideas.

Like an idiot, I've gone out and bought more than I need before I've finished much, so here's an idea of the job in hand

So far I've started most units and finished none, so so easily distracted... even a bag of midget gems (chewy fruit sweets) will stop me going near the army to paint it. Don't get me wrong, I love WHFB, totally, but I get much more drawn in by the fluff and writing better and better army lists / character builds.

Heres some pics of my work so far.
    Last edited by Brian Mage on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:56 am, edited 21 times in total.
    [color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
    [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
    Sturen

Re: Brian Mage's Elves

#2 Post by Sturen »

Very 'cool' colour scheme :lol:

Seriously though, looking good. I'm just struggling to figure out how you could do black gems :S Maybe dark blue would be easier and still look almost black.

Good luck getting through all that :)
    My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
    Raizon

Re: Brian Mage's Elves

#3 Post by Raizon »

Looking good, this is almost how I planned my colour scheme, but with a bit more black, y'know like the secondary cloth, anyway, I digress. very sweet paintjob, keep up the good work!

Only bit of criticism, more contrasting colours, like a dark blue or dark red I think, but otherwise, very nice =D> =D>
    Brian Mage

Re: Brian Mage's Elves - something is actually happening!!!

#4 Post by Brian Mage »

So here we go then.
    I have a tournament to go to in July. I need a fully painted 2400pts for then. Here is unit #1 (actually it lacks my BSB and a foot trooper)

That guy at the back, yeah... i forgot to trim the grass.... merrrrrr
    Last edited by Brian Mage on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    [color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
    [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
    kalrath

#5 Post by kalrath »

Very nice helms! They seem to be glossy. Care to share how you came about doing them? Was it glossy paint or gloss varnish?
    Bolt Thrower

#6 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Now those are different, and I like it! Your white is extremely clean and looks awesome. I like the scrolling freehand on the swords, too, as it gives it a little something special. That better not be my garden, though, or they're in for some trouble!
    Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
    Bolt Thrower's High Elves
    Asur Aman

#7 Post by Asur Aman »

Wow! Never seen anything like this. Lots of folks use bone as a pivit point in there color sceme, but this, so original and so well exicuted. Very,very nice. The bases and tray provide the color while the mini gives the POP. Bravo Brian.
    Mireadur

#8 Post by Mireadur »

That looks excelent and interesting... And original...And gay/metrosexual (what is a big compliment for elves, at least thats what i think when friends call my army that :mrgreen: )
    Elessehta of Yvresse
    Well played Sir

#9 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I love the heavy use of white, that's awesome.
    [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
    [quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
    Brian Mage

#10 Post by Brian Mage »

Mireadur wrote:And gay/metrosexual (what is a big compliment for elves,
    Ha! yeah, my mate keeps calling my Helves 'pansies' so i thought i'd play up to that quite a bit! nothing worse than getting beaten up by a Pansy... well maybe an Elf dressed in white!
    kalrath wrote:Very nice helms! They seem to be glossy. Care to share how you came about doing them? Was it glossy paint or gloss varnish?
    Once i'd finished painting them (with normal GW paint) i sprayed then matt varnish for protection. I wanted the white to look like "enamelled armour" so i got some 'Ardcoat and painted on the sword, helm and individual scales. It does look much better in real life.
    Bolt Thrower wrote:I like the scrolling freehand on the swords, too
    Thats, the design is from a sheet of transfers. they would not apply to the elves as they were to big, so i scanned them, resized them, printed them off, over painted in ink, left to half dry and then pressed the imprint on. the design left a shadow then, so i could kind of just fill in the bits. - these do look better on the photos than in real life however. don't get me wrong, i am happy with them, very much so, but freehanding is my weakest area!!!

I hope to have 5 DPs and a Mounted BSB up next - give me a day or so. They are nearly done, just a few touch-ups and some "gardening!"
    Last edited by Brian Mage on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew_uk

#11 Post by Andrew_uk »

I know you say the pictures flatter them but honestly... those swordmasters look beautiful!
    Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
    Swordmaster of Hoeth
    Southern Sentinel

#12 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Greetings!

A very interesting and unique painting. I am looking forward to seeing other units but the look of Swordmasters is very promising. I am not sure about the flower-power though :) Keep up the good work!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
    Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
    Brian Mage

#13 Post by Brian Mage »

The Gardeners are back!!!

Let me introduce you to Brian Mage (in his Non-MageKnight form) He wears Folariths Robes and as such he can't fight in combat. However he has brought his baking knife along with him. He has recently been doing some icing for a wedding cake

Brian is being chased by the Dragon Princes of Chorlton, Manchester - they want to lick the icing...

a few closer shots of those greedy Knights (inc a mounted BSB who never gets a run out these days)

Brian sends The fare noble packing, "no icing here for you today"

Hope you enjoy, please giv C&C as usual

Laters

Brian Mage
    (The more eagle eyed of you will see a lone white lion running & trying to hide from you so as not to spoil the next instalment of Baking and Gardening with Brian)

Jasonnz

Re: Brian Mages Elves - DPs, Mounted BSB, & Brian Mage himself!

#14 Post by Jasonnz »

They are Beautiful...you are to be commended on your white bro, flawless as far as I can tell. Keep up the good work!
    =D>
    [b][color=#FF0000]~Never trust a man, who left alone in a room with a tea cosey, Doesn't try it on!~[/color][/b]
    Prince of Spires
    Auctor Aeternitatum

#15 Post by Prince of Spires »

Brian Mage wrote:(The more eagle eyed of you will see a lone white lion running & trying to hide from you so as not to spoil the next instalment of Baking and Gardening with Brian)
    There also seems to be a GW wielding noble hiding behind the plastic glue...

Great painting. They look stunning and the colorscheme is very original. Great job.

I hope you do realise that your are obliged to give us an army shot once it is completed (and maybe also one half way trough ;) )

Rod
    For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
    PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
    Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
    Elessehta of Yvresse
    Well played Sir

#16 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

All ranked up this would be a spectacular army to see, army shots will be needed ^_^
    [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
    [quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
    Brian Mage

#17 Post by Brian Mage »

Once I have an army i will certainly show it off for you guys.
    rdghuizing wrote: 

There also seems to be a GW wielding noble hiding behind the plastic glue...
    there sure is - although he is not nearly finished. Like my SM he was once finished, but no i've restarted him - i keep ruining his sword and having to start again, it's more like a cricket bat now!!!

Mireadur

#18 Post by Mireadur »

Lol what the hell are those flowers? they look super realistic. And the white looks so uniformly (was that a word?) applied, all the time you saved with the colour scheme must have been well employed in getting the white like that!
    John Rainbow

#19 Post by John Rainbow »

Very nice. Is the white simply many layers or is there some other trick to it?
    Brian Mage

#20 Post by Brian Mage »

Mireadur wrote:Lol what the hell are those flowers?
    I found them on the tinterweb, they are made by a company called Noch. (if you mean the tuffty ones) however i reckon they'd be real easy to make yourself - thats what i'll be doing when i run out!
    John Rainbow wrote:Is the white simply many layers or is there some other trick to it?
    The white is silver base, washed with blue, highlight of spacewolf grey and then about 6 coats of white.
    The silver/blue wash stage is not so much for the white itself, but rather for the edges which i leave without white to give it a metalic look which has been enamelled.

I have two updates for you today
    A white Lion test model. I'm pretty pleased with this (except his face!) but he was rushed to just give me an idea. originally his axe shaft was white and the inside of the cloak was mid-grey. i was uncertain, so i did these and am now much happier. (although i couldn't understand why my wood effect was so pants, and then i realised it was due to me doing thedark and light the wrong way round!!!! derrrrrr! #-o

I also bought this AWESOME EAGLE!!!

And one for scale

Mireadur

Re: Brian Mages Elves - White Lion test and a new Eagle model

#21 Post by Mireadur »

The starwars trooper.. I mean the white lion looks damn good! It was certainly a good move changing the colours on the shaft and pelt.

That eagle is bigger than the dragon ! :shock:
    Bolt Thrower

#22 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Ok, you are going to have to tell more about the eagle. What is it made of, where is it from, is that scale piece the normal GW Great Eagle, is that a saddle on it? Looks pretty impressive!

I really like the lion test model. That white scheme is very well done!
    Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
    Bolt Thrower's High Elves
    Mireadur

#23 Post by Mireadur »

I think its the coolminiornot eagle model. IT comes with a rider (32mm heroic, unfortunately too big for WH).
    Brian Mage

#24 Post by Brian Mage »

Stormtrooper! Ha! I love it - I'm sure i can get Vader in there somewhere :D

The eagle is from coolminiornot.com and made from resin - the detail level is better then anything i've seen really (except maybe the forgeworld nurgle stuff - although i'm still on the fence with this finecast thing - it could be spectacular, but that is a different thread altogether)
    There was a thread about alternate eagles ages ago on here, and this was one of the suggestion. I saw the picture and had to buy it. I'll not be using the guy that comes with it, but building my own GW bits version - basically i need a lance.
    LINKY

They do an Owl too, which is IMHO even better, however i didn't see it until my Eagle was delivered and the Mrs will not let me get two!
    (and the scale model eagle is the normal GW one)

EDIT: yeah, the scale is too big, however i'm more than happy to have a Giant Eagle Surfing Death Mage Knight in my army! :wink:

Rodoslav

#25 Post by Rodoslav »

I congratulate the possession of the bird.
    but on the table, I think it is not applicable now :(
    war eagle wood elves are the best model, because LOS....
    Live and let live
    [url=http://photofile.name/users/rodoslav/115350693/]My works[/url]
    [url=http://rodoslav-blog.blogspot.com/][img]http://ctrannik.clan.su/Images/Blogs_Baner.jpg[/img][/url] [b]Upd: 20.7.11[/b]
    [url=http://music.yandex.ru/#/artist-tracks/90][img]http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9015/scorpionsfan.png[/img][/url]
    korhian the 28th

#26 Post by korhian the 28th »

great all thoses freehands

original colour scheme!

korhain
    [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36389url]high elves and skaven painting log[/url] updated 14-1-2012

'sir we're surrounded'
    "right now we can attack in any direction"
    Brian Mage

#27 Post by Brian Mage »

A little update here-
    Been a while coming so, while small, hopefully you'll understand.

I've been really working hard to the deadline for this tournament and have been painting every unit at the smae time - hence the delay. however they are all falling into completion now. i have 7 days to finish eagle noble, BSB, 30 white lions, chariot. (however they are all very much a wip, so not as worrying as it first looks!

First company of archers (second company is awaiting the gardening treatment

I was hoping to string up the bows, but i ended up putting them on wrong... doh!!!

And a WIP of my Eagle Mage Knight

this thread should be busy in the next few days, so comments and critisisms aplenty please!

Calaedor

Re: Brian Mages Elves - Finished Archers and Mage Knight WIP

#28 Post by Calaedor »

Your archers look like they’ve been so simply painted, but it’s incredibly beautiful and fantastic. The way you paint white is fantastic, and i’ll definitely be trying to achieve the same effect. Do your archers take long to do?

That Eagle is incredible....where did you get it from? (Any chance of some close-ups of the boss-on-top?)
    "Kind of like sleeping with someone before you dump them, except instead of sex its teclis.”
    - eriktheguy.
    Elessehta of Yvresse
    Well played Sir

#29 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

We all know you are the Mage Knight, and your representative in the field of battle looks awesome!
    ~Milliardo~

#30 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

A fantastic looking army mate. Great job!