Olannon's High Elves - WiP experimental colour scheme

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Olannon's High Elves - WiP experimental colour scheme

#1 Post by Curu Olannon »

Hello my fellow nobles of Ulthuan :)

I recently decided to start with a new High Elf army from scratch. I've been away from Warhammer quite a while, and the last times I've played it was only 40,000.

This post will act as a work in progress blog where I will post pictures of the army as it develops. I've designed a 2000 point list which I will aim towards. I have a hope that I can paint an average of 1 model per day. As such, the entire army should be ready by the end of the summer. Not the most aspiring of goals, but none the less one I am likely to keep up with.

Current model count (finished models): 43/100 (43%)

:: Painted models ::

You will notice my colours vary a lot from the standard themes you see around. I'm simply put rather tired of the bright and shiny colours. Take a look below for the first models I've painted:

:: Prince ::

:: Silver Helms ::

I decided to use more Silver on these guys to make them stand out from the Dragon Princes and be true to their name. For the shields I went for the same solution as my Spearelves to further tie them into my army.

:: Spearelves ::

As with the colour scheme, I'm tired of the standard look and feel of the miniatures. Having painted 8,000 points of High Elves prior to this army, I decided to spend some time making the units feel more dynamic. Notice the front rank's shield-smashing poses (inspired by 300) and the attacking spears on the flank.

:: Archers ::

With the Archers I tried to create a lot of different poses, utilizing various bows and a lot of re-loading Elves.

:: Dragon Princes ::

The Dragon Princes will be an important part of my army. As such I wanted them to be fairly typical of my colour scheme, while applying enough metallic colours to make them stand out from my core units.

:: Swordmasters ::

I decided to give the Swordmasters a bright feeling to go with the white-painted mage. To achieve this I used grey and white for their helmet's plumes - not very common in my army!

:: Prince Conversion ::

The Prince was created with various parts from the Island of Blood set combined with a Dragon Prince shield. The main body is the Reaver champion. I carefully removed the bow and arrows from each side of the legs, taking care not to damage the model. The head was taken from the Griffon Prince parts and took quite some time to adjust to the torso! I added a small piece of accessory to hide the arrows being removed.

:: Other Characters ::

These are not the most interesting conversions around but they'll suffice and their parts were cheap.

:: Questions ::

What do you think about the colour theme?
Which of the characters do you like best?
What can I do in the future to keep my units looking dynamic and different?

Regards,
Olannon
Last edited by Curu Olannon on Sat May 21, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Mireadur

Re: Olannon's High Elves - WiP experimental colour scheme

#2 Post by Mireadur »

Hi, ive just come to the conclusion that ALL schemes look great on our elves hehe.

Same with the characters kit-bashing =)
Si'anelle of Avelorn
Dreamer of Worlds

#3 Post by Si'anelle of Avelorn »

I do like thy experiments with the posing of thy model figures. 'Tis good to see the multipart sets used in such an inspired manner.
[img]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/Warhammer/webbanner.jpg[/img]
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#4 Post by Curu Olannon »

Ok, I just finished my first unit of archers. The pictures in the original post have been updated to reflect this. I also bought a box of Dragon Princes today and I liked some of the parts so much that I decided to re-model the BSB (pics will come, he's not done just yet).

Now that you have a feel of how the archers look like I'm looking for ideas on how to paint my Elites. Specifically I'm wondering about what you think about making the bronze shinier (i.e. gold instead of dwarf bronze) on some parts and what colour the horses could be.

I'd still love some feedback as to which of the two mages you like the most. One of them will act as an archmage and I was kinda thinking it should be the one people think looks the best :)

Next on the menu looks like it'll be a 750 point battle this Sunday. Stay tuned!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Nice work with the kits!

I feel that the most effective conversions are not necessarily those most complex but simply those that demand to be made, ie the model (considering it's place in the unit and army) seems to call for it and just feels right once it's done.

Trust your instincts I suggest.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#6 Post by Curu Olannon »

Thanks for the replies people :) I updated the first post with pictures of my first finished DP model. Unfortunately the pics aren't too good, I'll take more once the other 4 are done.

The Mage with the staff is also complete and the bsb totally re-done. More pics tomorrow!

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#7 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

That Dragon Prince is fantastic!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Si'anelle of Avelorn
Dreamer of Worlds

#8 Post by Si'anelle of Avelorn »

I do agree, the colours thou hath chosen for thy Dragon Prince make him seem to blaze as if aflame.
[img]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/Warhammer/webbanner.jpg[/img]
Andrew_uk

#9 Post by Andrew_uk »

I love the head swaps on the spearmen and archers, I think as Spell archers already said the best conversions are the simplest, the ones that just click as soon as you've done them... that head swap was certainly a great choice
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#10 Post by Curu Olannon »

Thanks for all the kind comments - I posted up some new pictures of the DP model and the mage now, as well as the newly converted BSB :)

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#11 Post by Curu Olannon »

Ok, first 5 DP's are completed! I also painted 3 swordmasters and converted my mounted prince :)

See the original post for details ;)

Regards,
Olannon

Arhain

#12 Post by Arhain »

Wow, i am totally stealing that prince conversion from the island of blood. Totally bad ass, great job.
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"
[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z191/IronFistLeague/obsidian_order_b.png[/img]

[url=http://iflleague.s4.bizhat.com/index.php?mforum=iflleague]Northern Virginia Gaming[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=47961]Approach to Balance[/url]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#13 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Wow yea that Prince looks great, a friend of mine just converted the IoB Prince onto a Silver Helms horse, there was an awful lot of cutting involved if I had known the Reaver champ could have been used so effectively it could have saved him a nights work ^_^'
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#14 Post by Prince of Spires »

The prince looks great, it's a very nice conversion. I just took me a bit of time to find him in the post...

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#15 Post by Curu Olannon »

Thanks for the replies people! I'm really happy with how the Prince turned out. Apart from all the cutting involved it was a fairly simple conversion. Now, I'd like some recommendations for how to paint him - what do you think? I want to make him stand out from e.g. the DP since I assume I'll paint the SHelms similarly, but at the same time I definitely want him to feel like the rest of the army.

I've been toying around with giving him a white horse since I don't have a lot of white in my army. It also goes well with the white theme on the mage and I could pick it up on the BSB as well.

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#16 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

yea a white horse will make him stand out no matter his actual colours, the red on the mage could be used same withe cream colour, would tie him in with the DPs without making him look like them.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#17 Post by Curu Olannon »

Yeah I think I'll go for the white horse! Still looking for advice on how to paint the rest of him though, and the BSB as well. The banner in particular I'm very uncertain of what to do with...

tinman

#18 Post by tinman »

Great models and conversions, especially that Prince. Really looking forward to that painted. I also really like the darker colors, very menacing. Nice job!
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck??..
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#20 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Yea, so much easier than trying to put the whole model on a horse like mine.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#21 Post by Curu Olannon »

So I started painting my Prince. I chose a, for me, unusual approach: I started at the top and completed everything before I went to the next part. As of now, I'm done with his torso, helm and Sword. His legs and clothing are next, probably followed by the shield.

Speaking of which - I'm really unsure of how to paint the shield and the horse's helm's hair (i.e. the 'plume'). The rest is pretty standard - tin bitz base / gold for armour, some silver armour. The helmet has the inner feathers white and the outer feathers red. The sword is chainmail with a light layer of blue ink, highlighted by mithril silver to get the cold, blue, elven steel feeling.

As the shield and plume are quite important with regards to how the model as a whole appears I'd really like some input on this. I would've posted pictures but my camera was stolen a couple of days ago. I'll get a new one soon enough but at the moment I'm unfortunately out of luck.

I'm also hoping to complete the Swordmaster unit fairly soon. I have 9 completed now, along with a tray ;)

Regards,
Olannon

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#22 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The Plume would follow theme well if you did it like the feathers on the Princes helm, maybe something like Consadine's done for his Reavers in the Mr C's High Elves. The shield will be important, do you would want it to blend in seamlessly or make it contrast, making the dragon gold on a red and black background would fit nicely with the theme i think.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#23 Post by Curu Olannon »

The Prince is done! I'll get pictures up as soon as I get my new camera (should be by wednesday next week).

Thanks so much for your input Tiralya. I echoed the helm for the plumes, with white and red. Also the shield is black with gold details.

Overall, he looks like he fits in but you can tell he's different. The White Horse really helped but also using less black and more red (compared to the troops). You'll see for yourself as soon as the pictures get up ;)

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#24 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Very nice, can't wait to see pics!
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#25 Post by Curu Olannon »

I got my new camera. Also, the last models I needed arrived today. When I get home I'll do some modeling and hopefully, by the time I go to bed, the entire army is completely modelled.

Pics of the Prince will be up tonight :)

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#26 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Damn! I need three things and my army is complete, I need to order the bits to make my Yveressien Paladins aka Dragon Princes and I also need to get a BSB on horseback. I haven't found a nice BSB yet and the Paladins require a box of Silver Helms and a box of Phoenix Guard.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#27 Post by Curu Olannon »

Pictures of the Prince is up. Now I'll have to model his bodyguard of Silver Helms and some Spearelves ;)

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#28 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Oh wow, he came out awesome those feathers tie him in with the theme.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#30 Post by Curu Olannon »

Thanks for the feedback! I'm quite happy with how the Prince turned out, a lot of it was due to input.

Now I've started painting the remaining Swordmasters (7) as a batch, hoping to get it done before too long. I'm also assembling my remaining Spears and Archers (completed the Silver Helms) so it could take some time. However I once again have a few questions:

- I think I'll paint the Banner of Sorcery on my Swordmasters black, as a starting point. Too much of my army starts feeling like it's too shiny again and I feel I need to keep in touch with the black/orange base. I'm also looking for advice on how to paint the Silver Helms. I've decided to go for black horses. The models are very plain, I didn't bother converting or swapping around parts so you know how they look. The Eagles will probably have a black base colour as well with browns and greys or something like that.

Now, I know a lot of you are visiting this thread due to the view number going beyond 1400. Please leave a reply as to how you think I should paint the remaining models. I would really appreciate YOUR input.

Thanks,
~Olannon