A band of gladiators (PLOG update 11-22-2010)

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

ekalb

A band of gladiators (PLOG update 11-22-2010)

#1 Post by ekalb »

*I have decided to use this thread as my main painting thread so I dont have to keep track of too many of them*
I just got the rules for Arena death Match so hopped on line to get a few minis to use. Here are a few picks of my barbarian hero and a bugbear who will be an orc when I am done with him. I thought about buying some of the actual models as they are super sweet but I just purchased a whole lizardmen army and my wife wasn't to keen on me spending too much on a band of 5 or 6 guys.

action=view&current=warhammerandthelike072.jpg]Image[/url]
Last edited by ekalb on Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:27 am, edited 22 times in total.
ekalb

Re: A band of gladiators (PLOG) update 3-1-10

#2 Post by ekalb »

And here are a few picks of the new lizardmen model I have been working on.
ekalb

#3 Post by ekalb »

I just finished my slann's floating chair thing. Up next is my Steg, but I have painted myself out this week end so will probably not get around to it until this weekend and who knows how long it will take to finish, the riders and howda look beastly to paint. So many small details, so little time...

Quick question: What do you think I should do with the base for the slann? should I keep it simple so it doesn't take away from the actual model or should I go all out? And should I keep the clear plastic stick clear or paint it black?

Anyway here is the finished product.

ilmrik II

Re: A band of gladiators (PLOG)

#4 Post by ilmrik II »

I think the humans face could use a bit more definition around the cheek bones it's a bit flat colored atm,
I really like what you did with his sword tho. not sure about the armor plates the silver edging is a bit rough edged for me ( I like blending ^^)

the slann looks great!the stone of the throne is very well done but I'dd go for some extra detail for sure ( I went all out on mine)
try to get some more color coordination going between the actual slann and his palanquin by adding some gold bits etc
I'dd extend the white tips at the end of the horns a bit more to get in line with the idea of the brown lines at the bottom because it looks a bit strange like this. the skink looks a bit hastily done too
[img]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/img]
Rumor

#5 Post by Rumor »

I think the slann might need a good wash of Badab Black or something, it looks too bright (could be cam) for the chair, the slann almost looks like a pastel coloured water painting in comparison to the chair, almost looks like a different person painted them cause of the style and darkening up the slann a lil should fix that.
ekalb

#6 Post by ekalb »

Thanks for all the imput. The slann was painted in a much different way than his chair but he does match it better in real life. The white tips on the horns are actually there only to avoid then getting chipped up as they have a tendency to do so. I will get around to putting white almost to the base some time next week. Both the slan and chair are a bit darker in person beucase the flash of my cam. The humans face also needs a few more layers but I ran out of flesh wash so he might have to wait a bit. Also, does anyone know of a good way to paint a 5 o'clock shadow? I think he would look better if he was not so clean shaven. As for the skink, it is not so much rushed as it is a bad spot on the chair. I think that part of the molde has been danages as he really has alot of problems that I am not skilled enough to fix. His mouth in particluar is pretty warped.

Anyway thanks of the imput again and hopefully next week I will get some more pics up.
ekalb

#7 Post by ekalb »

So I have yet to get some picks of my stegadon so I will post the most recent 40k model/conversion I have been working on. He is a tervigon. Not as large as I suspect they are meant to be but he will do. He...or she is just the runt of the litter.
Elaithnir

Re: A band of gladiators (PLOG update 4-18-2010)

#8 Post by Elaithnir »

I like that Slann's seat. :) Very nice. Can't wait to see the frog finished either. How did you do the rock on the pedestal?
ekalb

#9 Post by ekalb »

Elaithnir wrote:I like that Slann's seat. :) Very nice. Can't wait to see the frog finished either. How did you do the rock on the pedestal?
Glad you like it. The chair is just a bunch of layers of grays with a little white mixed in with each layer. I also washed a few of the layers with watered down black, at about the consistency (spell) of koolaid to keep the stone work visable. The vines are just watered down layers of bleached bone. The leaves, little lizards and frogs are just dark angle green with a few layers of dark angle green mixed with generic yellows.
ekalb

#10 Post by ekalb »

And now for some blasphemy! A converted dark elf assassin.
ilmrik II

Re: A band of gladiators (PLOG update May 8th 2010)

#11 Post by ilmrik II »

nice,
the cloak looks really good,
very dynamic model
I've been trying to get GS look effective for ages now to make cloaks for my LSG
no success so far :(
ekalb

#12 Post by ekalb »

ilmrik II wrote:nice,
the cloak looks really good,
very dynamic model
I've been trying to get GS look effective for ages now to make cloaks for my LSG
no success so far :(
Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean GS look for cloaks? Do you want to know how I do mine?
ilmrik II

#13 Post by ilmrik II »

sure ^^
Aethyr

#14 Post by Aethyr »

Gs = greenstuff.
[i]The Dwarf begged the Dice Gods for Insane Courage on his re-rollable Break Test, failed to achieve it, and the Dice Gods mocked him horribly by giving him Double 1s for his flee distance immediately after. My White Lions promptly ran the Warriors down.[/i]
[b]Lord Tethlis' account of slaying fowl Dawi.[/b]
ekalb

#15 Post by ekalb »

Ok here is how I do cloaks. All they are is a circle-ish shape rolled out as flat as you can bet it and then a v is cut out, providing a place to fit the cloak around the neck of whatever model you are putting it on. Its actually very simple. The hood is done the same way except you make the circle smaller and then drop it around the top of the forehead of the piece and then pinch the back of the circle down into a point and then work the flaps into the cloak. I learned all this by accident really and just happened to get it right one day.

If you want a more traditional superman looking cloak instead of laving the circle as is, cut out an 'A' shape, chop off the top of the A and then put the top of the cloak between the shoulders of the model. The hardest part is getting the GS to hold the shape and position you want it to have. Sometimes I have to prop up the model in all kinds of strange angles.

Here is a pick, and not a very good one, of a dark rider done the same way as my assassin.

Bolt Thrower

#16 Post by Bolt Thrower »

ekalb wrote:And should I keep the clear plastic stick clear or paint it black?
You should paint it like the stone chair and greenstuff some vines wrapping around it up to the chair. Paint them like the ones on the chair itself. That could help tie it all together.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
ekalb

#17 Post by ekalb »

So I have had family over for the last bit and have not been able to paint much, only a few 20 or 30 Dark Elves that are still in a very wip stage, but my brother has been busy with his war machine figs and a few Space Wolves.

It may look like he can paint gooder then me but in person my worst is betters than him bist.... :shock:
ekalb

Re: A band of gladiators (PLOG update May 20th 2010)

#18 Post by ekalb »

I was going to get more of my Dark Elf army painted this morning but ended up converting up more harpies to go with them and then started playing around with the idea of converting up some stuff for my Nid army. It was in need of some anti tank stuff as my army is still more of a 4th ed build so I took some of my old metal raveners (that I have never used in the 4 years I have owned them) and turned them into zoanthropes!

ekalb

Re: A band of gladiators (PLOG update June 4, 2010)

#19 Post by ekalb »

Eventually I might post some pics of actual High Elves, but today is not that day. I just got my hands on the new beastmen book and while it looks cool and all, my little army is not in need of at least a few hundred bucks worth of new models so I am painting them up to sell. The ogres I painted up to go with the beasts, but will be keeping them because I like them and you can't legally use them with the beastmen now anyway....sigh. Hope you like em.

Larkspire

Re: A band of gladiators (PLOG update June 28th, 2010)

#20 Post by Larkspire »

Love the Centigor(?),Yellow britches on on the Bulls are just wrong :P
I do like the quasi-punker look though.
ekalb

#21 Post by ekalb »

I would NEVER paint my well groomed ogres in a way that made them look like they peed themselves... hehe
Ok, so maybe that did cross my mind, but I had originally was going to give thier britches a few washes of brown and/or black, but i have not got around to it yet.
ekalb

#22 Post by ekalb »

For your viewing pleasure, this is the beastmen army I just sold. I will miss my little balls of lice ridden goat boys....

ekalb

#23 Post by ekalb »

So I finally painted an actual high elf this week! This was the first character model I ever bought and was in dire need of a new paint job.

ekalb

Re: A band of gladiators (PLOG update July 16th, 2010)

#24 Post by ekalb »

So I was going to work on more of the highelf army I have, but as a bunch of new models are coming out in a few months I decided to work on the dark elves instead. Most of it is still in the wip stage but looks good on the table if you ask me.

ekalb

Re: A band of gladiators (PLOG update 8-9-10)

#25 Post by ekalb »

Here is more of the finished army.

Here is a closer look at the harpies.

ekalb

Re: A band of gladiators (PLOG update 8-9-10)

#26 Post by ekalb »

The army battle standard bearer and a sorcerer

ekalb

Re: A band of gladiators (PLOG update 8-18-10)

#27 Post by ekalb »

So I have some new pics to show, sorry for the long break, just have not been painting much since I finished up the Dark Elves and sold em. Anyway here is an assorted bunch of picks.

These Deamons are not mine, but a friend who paints extremely well!

And here is a wip building I am working on.

And last but not least here is a color test model for the break off blood angel army that i am slowly building! I was going to buy the whole thing but could not resist getting the new Island of Blood box for the new sea guard and reavers.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp23 ... CN0588.jpg

Later today I should have a unit of old swordmasters and a few other elves to show off... but I have said that before...
Baalan

Re: A band of gladiators (PLOG update 9-29-10)

#28 Post by Baalan »

ekalb i would like -if possible- a closer pic/different angle of that greenstuff cape you made. since i am about to start a rather ambitious project of giving capes/cloaks to almost 100 minies your approach seems a bit more fast and simple. much appreciated mate!

cheers
"Full of pride and sorrow for what i am gonna do with tears in my eyes and a dream in my heart...Nagarythe shall endure..."
Mireadur

#29 Post by Mireadur »

yes please, those capes are really good. I also like a lot those demons, a little bit closer pic would own too :p
ekalb

#30 Post by ekalb »

Baalan wrote:ekalb i would like -if possible- a closer pic/different angle of that greenstuff cape you made. since i am about to start a rather ambitious project of giving capes/cloaks to almost 100 minies your approach seems a bit more fast and simple. much appreciated mate!

cheers
I don't have any pics that are any closer, but I am planning on doing a few models in the near future with capes, I will make a tutorial out of it when I do with pics and stuff as just writing it is hard to do and still capture the feel of the whole processes. Give me a week or so :wink: