Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves! - GT 2013

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Sarcon

Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves! - GT 2013

#1 Post by Sarcon »

Just to open the blog with some army shots of the last army composition I had with the 7th ed book:

This blog tells the story of my partially speed painted army. It was quite obsessive from time to time, but in the end I am quite satisfied with the results!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Off to start with a new army. My previous army was Dark Elves (still my "first love", I must say), but the army list I played had no blocks of infantry, and it doesn't have 25% vore either. And I really seen enough Dark Elves for now. So, now IoB came out, at first I picked up the boxed set just for the mini-rulebook. The hardcover one weighs a ton, and that was really annoying in a tournament envoironment. Always that heavy back with 1.5kg dead bookweight... But the new HE models are amazing! Back in 7th I was already considering a chariot heavy army, which was not the most competetive choice, but it is very much fun! So anyways, I started off writing a list:

Lords
Level 4 Archmage
-Seerstaff
-Talisman of Preservation
Goes in the white lions

Heroes
Level 2 Mage
-Silver Wand
Goes in the seaguard

Noble BSB
-Dragon Armour
-Shield
-Banner of the World Dragon
Goes in the White Lions

Core
28 Lothern Seaguard (7x4)
-Full Command

29 Lothern Seaguard (7x4)
-Full Command

Special
26 White Lions (7x4)
-Full Command
-Banner of Sorcery

Tiranoc Chariot

Tiranoc Chariot

Rare
Giant Eagle

Giant Eagle
_____

Think this'll work? Haven't got around testing it yet. I think I should avoid template weapons :lol:

Anyways! Pictures!

This is a bare griffon (as in, read: Giant Eagle). The conversion was rather easy I must say. Minor conversion on one of the claws (a little bit of heatbend, a little bit of chop off and glue back at a different angle, the usual stuff :P). The greenstuff work was a bit rushed. Even though it might be one of the centerpieces in the army, the feathers will be rather dark anyways, so you won't spot it all that easily I guess. The base still needs some sanding, all I did now was creating fluent transitions and texture using a cheap air drying clay.

Some assembled & primed seaguard:

Closeup on the seaguard unitfiller

The first few WIP seaguard. What still needs to be done: highlight metal, highlight skin, paint gold details, paint/highlight all the white details, finish detailing the shield, etc.

And the unitfiller for the upcoming white lions. I will use the old metal white lions, the new ones seem a bit dull to me (next to half of them having a runic dwarfhead on their helmets...) The lions will be in the front rank, handler in the last rear rank.

And of course, C&C is appreciated ;)

Thanks for taking a peek!
Last edited by Sarcon on Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 22 times in total.
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33265]Do not click this link :)[/url][/b]
Aethyr

Re: Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves! - A blog

#2 Post by Aethyr »

Now THESE are great. The colour scheme i LOVE, so gritty! The WL Unit Filler is fricking sweet too! Thats a unit I want to Create toO!
[i]The Dwarf begged the Dice Gods for Insane Courage on his re-rollable Break Test, failed to achieve it, and the Dice Gods mocked him horribly by giving him Double 1s for his flee distance immediately after. My White Lions promptly ran the Warriors down.[/i]
[b]Lord Tethlis' account of slaying fowl Dawi.[/b]
Baalan

#3 Post by Baalan »

excellent idea!
seems like you like the WL a tad more than seaguard if we are to judge from the fillers :D

cheers
"Full of pride and sorrow for what i am gonna do with tears in my eyes and a dream in my heart...Nagarythe shall endure..."
RE.Lee

#4 Post by RE.Lee »

I was thinking of buying some more WL to make my unit bigger, now I don't need to - that filler's dynamite!
The rest of the army is nice as well - make sure you keep this updated!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#5 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Greetings!

Excellent idea with those kittens! :) I'd love to see a picture of an entire unit of WL. I think the army will look great! Looking forward to see it painted :)

Good Luck!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Sarcon

#6 Post by Sarcon »

Thanks for the replies guys! :D

@ Swordmaster of Hoeth - I don't have the white lions yet, just the filler. I can get 16 white lions for almost free from a mate of mine. I'll just get Korhil (or w.e he's named) and use him as a regular unit champ. 16 + Korhil + Filler of 9 = 26 models. Just what I need :)

@ RE.Lee - Thanks for the compliment, and happy I could inspire you for your own army. If you finish yours, post some pictures, I would love to see how it turns out! I'll try to keep it all updated. Kind replies always work motivating ;)

@ Baalan - Thank you, and no, the seaguard are "only" core, so I did not want to put something too flashy in there. But if it looks too dull, I can always make a fun conversion out of the seaguard unit champ, or build another fun model to put on there. I could make a mermaid from one of the Dark Eldar Prisoners, would be fun, and sticks with the "sea" theme of the models.

@ Aethyr - Thanks, I've never been a big fan of all the bright elf models. I like gritty and realistic more. Besides that, I've played Druchii for years, so it may be the roots :P And the white basecoat really helps to keep the green "bright" in a way, while the model still has the dark feel.

Now it's time for dinner. I came home totally soaked, silly rain... so I didn't really feel like cooking. I'm glad my phone did feel like cooking (hurray, pizza :P )

Thanks for reading,
[b][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33265]Do not click this link :)[/url][/b]
Aderyn

#7 Post by Aderyn »

u... gonna use 26 WL in a single block? :o
2250p army 2010 results
Massacres: 4
Solid victory: 2
minor losses: 1
Massacred: 1
Sarcon

#8 Post by Sarcon »

Aderyn wrote:u... gonna use 26 WL in a single block? :o
Yea, why not? :P
RE.Lee

#9 Post by RE.Lee »

Big blocks of WL rule. I use only 21, but they dominate the field anyway - killed 14 saurus in one turn today (and the remaining 6, 2 saurus cavalry and a slann afterwards) !
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Baerion

#10 Post by Baerion »

I run a unit of 20 with a BSB included for 3x7. I love this unit!
Midnight Legion Painting Blog: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30693
Sarcon

#11 Post by Sarcon »

Baerion wrote:I run a unit of 20 with a BSB included for 3x7. I love this unit!
Mine will be 7x4 with a bsb and a lvl 4. I think they'll do just fine ;)

Anyways, update!

I've been slightly productive.

First off, I got the metal sheets for my movement trays.

Finished the filler for the first seaguard unit. Just noticed I forgot the gem :P

Also put a few highlights on the first 5 seaguard, and put the others in base layer + first wash

Also painted the tiranoc crew in basecolours + wash

Also the griffon in basecolours + wash

And some things I got left to do. Still have to strip those white lions, and I also got bits for a second chariot, bsb and mage.

I might try and push this army to have it done for october 9th, for the Fanatic in Leiden, Holland :) It's never bad to have a deadline.
Aethyr

#12 Post by Aethyr »

I hate you. That looks so awesome! So grim!!!!!
[i]The Dwarf begged the Dice Gods for Insane Courage on his re-rollable Break Test, failed to achieve it, and the Dice Gods mocked him horribly by giving him Double 1s for his flee distance immediately after. My White Lions promptly ran the Warriors down.[/i]
[b]Lord Tethlis' account of slaying fowl Dawi.[/b]
Baalan

#13 Post by Baalan »

and all that menacing look is based on white primer...who would have thought...
could i ask which colour you used for the metal parts?

cheers
"Full of pride and sorrow for what i am gonna do with tears in my eyes and a dream in my heart...Nagarythe shall endure..."
Korhal

#14 Post by Korhal »

Great job!
Your modeling, and painting are fantastic!!!
I love the white Lions unit filler! Being completely new to Warhammer I find myself having to ask a potentially embarrasing question................What is a unit filler? :oops: Does it count as models, or is it just there to make the unit bigger?

K
ilmrik II

#15 Post by ilmrik II »

they look great,
only the back end of the griffon seems a bit unfitting, the color seems very bright
I think a more greyish shade would make it fit in a lot more with your paintsceme.
or at least an extra wash to create some more dept.
[img]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblue.jpg[/img]
Tír

#16 Post by Tír »

Yup, scratch my previous comment about the unit filler - it fits perfectly! Anyway, with your painting style and level, I bet most things would :D Awesome!
And I too would very much appreciate to learn about your take on metalics as well as flesh..?
Korhal

#17 Post by Korhal »

Korhal wrote:Great job!
Your modeling, and painting are fantastic!!!
I love the white Lions unit filler! Being completely new to Warhammer I find myself having to ask a potentially embarrasing question................What is a unit filler? :oops: Does it count as models, or is it just there to make the unit bigger?

K
Did some research and figured it out!

I found that the use of fillers is pretty contraversial.....My 2 cents worth is that your White lion filler is really adding a lot of character to the unit, and is AWESOME!!! From what I read though, some may not be as impressed by the scenic filler for the Sea Guard... oh well, their loss I suppose.

Keep the updates comming :D

K
Sarcon

#18 Post by Sarcon »

@ Aethir - Thanks man, hate you too ;)

@ Baalan & Tir - The metals are boltgun metal, black wash, boltgun highlight, chainmail highlight. I didnt go all the way up to mithril on purpose.
The Flesh is tallarn flesh over a white basecoat, washed with ogryn fleshed, highlighted with ogrin flesh, and after that ogryn flesh + a bit of white.

@ ilmrik II - I will highlight the back end of the griffon to a very bright colour, like khaki or bleached bone. This is just at a WIP stage so far. Besides, it's painted really thin at the moment, I can always repaint it if I dont like it ;)

@ Korhal - Don't feel embarassed. What a unitfiller basicly is is something that "counts as" the number of models the fillerbase replaces. The seaguard filler is 3x2 bases, so it counts as 6 seaguard, gamewise. The white lion filler I made consists of 9 bases, which is like the maximum size of bases you can put in a unit without looking cheap :P
Sometimes unitfillers are cheaper, sometimes they just save you time because you have to paint a bit less normal models. I like fillers in units because it makes painting a unit less boring, and it looks cool because it breaks up the whole "block of models" feel. But everyone has their own opinion of course ;) There are plenty of folks who dont use fillers, or even hate them.
EDIT: Ah, I see you replied while I was typing this message ;)

Tomorrow I will be placing my last mailorder at my local GW, then I'll have all the supplies I will need for 2.2k HE
Korhal

#19 Post by Korhal »

I am looking forward to seeing how your army progresses! I would have to say that in regards to unit fillers I am on the "they're all good" side =D>

K
Sarcon

#20 Post by Sarcon »

Update,

Finished all the seaguard I had built and primed. need 6 more for the unit, got those assembled at the moment... they just require basing and priming :)

So, what would an update be without a few pictures!

And I also started on the unit filler. I'll glue some rock on their, some sand, might do some level adjusting with some clay. Just waiting for my rare earth magnets now, then I'll post a picture of my seaguard upside down ;)

Thanks for reading,
Schultz

#21 Post by Schultz »

Those are very impressive Sea Guard. Much better than blue and white. Great job.
Jimmy
Centurion

#22 Post by Jimmy »

all your stuff is incredible! You must be so happy with it. I love the unit fillers they are fantastic and a good use of the extra bitz and pieces we get on the sprues.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Sarcon

#23 Post by Sarcon »

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.

I made some progress on the chariot.

The state in which it is now:

And a picture of the chariot cart, which is finished. It got a little white foggy hue over it because of the varnishing. Shame ;/

I really wanted to do something different with the HE chariot. I think I've succeeded so far :)

Thanks,
Bolt Thrower

#24 Post by Bolt Thrower »

The wood is fantastic! Great work!
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Baalan

#25 Post by Baalan »

=D> so well executed mate!

cheers
Tír

#26 Post by Tír »

I concur! Beautiful wood-grain. Please let us know how you achieved it :) pretty please..?
Korhal

#27 Post by Korhal »

I commend your originality! It is hard to stray from the norm sometimes, but i think your risk has payed off.

K
Sarcon

Re: Sarcon's pointy-eared pan... errr... Elves! - Proper pics P2

#28 Post by Sarcon »

I finished the chariot, and I'm really satisfied with how it turned out!

The woodgrain was painted in the following way
1) Basecolour of Calthan Brown (over a white undercoat in this case, but I guess black is fine too)
2) Wash with badab black
3) Stripe with Bestial Brown - these stripes can be thick, doesnt really matter at this stage.
4) Highlight stripe with Snakebite Leather
5) Highlight stripe with Snakebite Leather + Bleached Bone

My striping is "random". I'm not painting over each previous stripe like exactly where I painted the previous layer(s). This is a very quick way to get a decent result ;). Easy and realistic, as long as it works it's fine by me!

And remember to thin down your paints, of course. This will make the paint flow more easily, and the brush won't feel so "sticky" while painting.
And you only need to see the brush touch the model, you don't have to feel the brush touch the model. It's a tip I got a long time ago and it has helped me a lot.

Thanks for reading & leaving a reply!
Last edited by Sarcon on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ekalb

#29 Post by ekalb »

That is easily the best looking Tiranoc Chariot I have seen. Ever.
Sarcon

#30 Post by Sarcon »

Thanks for the replies, and for the compliment, Ekalb :)

Update ;d

Seaguard all done. Photos suck, they're all hazy...

I tried to make a better picture of the Chariot, didn't really work out ;p

The unitfiller for the second Seaguard unit

And finally, a bad photo of the upcoming White Lions at a WIP stage

Thanks for taking a peek & leaving a reply!