'The Guardians' Gaming Blog

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Collinisimo

'The Guardians' Gaming Blog

#1 Post by Collinisimo »

This thread has turned into a Blog for this army.

Here is the list I will be using. Posted here for tweaking.

Lords:

Prince - 262 pts.
- Silvered Steel
- Vambraces of Defense
- Great Weapon

Archmage - 360 pts.
- Level 4
- Book of Hoeth

Heroes:

Noble - 163 pts.
- BSB
- Armor of Caledor
- Guardian Phoenix
- Great Weapon

Core:

24x Lothern Sea Guard - 347 pts.
- Shields
- Musician
- Sea Master
- Standard Bearer
-- Banner of Eternal Flame

23x Lothern Sea Guard - 324 pts.
- Shields
- Musician
- Sea Master
- Standard Bearer

Special:

23x Phoenix Guard - 419 pts.
- Keeper of the Flames
- Standard Bearer
-- Banner of Sorcery

23x Phoenix Guard - 414 pts.
- Keeper of the Flames
- Standard Bearer
-- Razor Standard

Rares:

4x Great Eagles - 200 pts.

Total: 2489 pts.

The general idea is that the Prince and Noble both each go in a PG unit (BSB in the Razor Standard to balance killing power), and have the Archmage stay with the unit of 23 Lothern Sea Guard. Archmage assists the long range killing power of the Sea Guard shooting with the spells that reduce toughness and the Pit of Shades, so that when the enemy gets to my line the Phoenix Guard can finish them off. The entire army stays back generally and I let my opponent march forward (which they are forced to do through my shooting and magic).

Mathhammer Aspect:

I will usually have two turns of shooting/magic before my opponent reaches me. That means that I will get 40 shots each turn (if the LSG are formed 8x3) for a total of 80 shots until I am reached. If I reduce the toughness of the unit I focus fire on that means I'm hitting on 4s/wounding on 2s/3s (depending on toughness). On average that will be 26.666666 to 33.333333 wounds. That should take out one unit. Then with the Pit of Shades I should be able to at least take out half of another unit (with some luck on spell rolls and scatter rolls - toughness reducing spell takes precedence if I roll doubles to select spells). With the Great Eagles getting in the way of the other units and slowing them down I should be able to pick and choose my combats with the Phoenix Guard, ideally taking them on two at a time, each with one unit of Phoenix Guard supported by Lothern Sea Guard.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Collinisimo on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:21 am, edited 6 times in total.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=33028]Great Eagle Tips and Tricks[/url]
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."
Bolt Thrower

Re: 2500 Guards

#2 Post by Bolt Thrower »

For your strategy I think the PG are the best bet as they have the chance to withstand war machine onslaught while the enemy advances. Since they are crucial to the strategy, I think it is absolutely critical that you get the toughness hex. What are the chances of a double on 4 dice? I think they are pretty good so you should be safe.

I might consider dropping the Dawnstone for Guardian Phoenix. That way if a cannon or large monster goes after the BSB he'll definitely get a save of some type.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Collinisimo

#3 Post by Collinisimo »

I was wondering the same thing about the BSB, hence my poll in the tactics section. I think I may change it to GP for now.

As for having PG, that was my reasoning also, as well as PG have always been a favorite of mine. I love how reliable they are.

Not sure how to calculate doubles on 4 dice, but every time I've played I've been able to get the toughness spell. I'm sure the odds are in my favor. :D
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=33028]Great Eagle Tips and Tricks[/url]
NightHawk45

#4 Post by NightHawk45 »

Collinisimo wrote:
Not sure how to calculate doubles on 4 dice, but every time I've played I've been able to get the toughness spell. I'm sure the odds are in my favor. :D
I saw your question and have had fun for the past hour or so in figuring out what you stated and also what you wanted. Thanks for posing the question!

The calculation is easy: The Probability of what you are looking for is: (# of ways for what you want)/(Total # of ways).
Notice that (# of ways for what you want)/(T) + (# of ways for what you don't want)/(T)=(Total Number of Ways)=1
Therefore: 1-(#of ways for what you don't want)/(T)=(# of ways for what you want)/(Total # of ways).

Whew, that is a mouthful.
I only wrote that to explain some theory (loosely speaking), I'm sure you don't care. Anyway, this is how you do it.

Let's find out the probability of getting no multiples(and hence no doubles) (from the reasoning above)

The first die can be any of the six options: 6 ways to do this
The second die can be any number, but the previous one: 5 ways to do this
The third die can be any number, but the previous one: 4 ways to do this
The fourth die can be any number, but the previous one: 3 ways to do this

Now multiply them all together: 6x5x4x3=360
Divide by the total number of ways to roll 4 dice: 6^4=36^2=1296
Now we got 360/1296 = 5/18 ways to get no multiples.

You can either get no multiple , or at least one multiple when you roll 4 dice. Therefore, you have 13/18 ways to get at least one multiple. That is equal to a 72.2% chance of getting at least one multiple.

Approximately speaking, 3 out of 4 times you will get it. 1 out of 4, you will not.

I could be wrong, but I think that the toughness spell that you talk about in Shadow's is #3 and am assuming that this is the only mage that you have. Now, let's take in to account of rolling at least one 3. Luckily, this is much simpler to do:
Using compliments:
We want the P(getting no multiples of a die AND* no 3's) [which means we have 1,2,4,5,6, and can take 4 of them with out replacement]
This is a permutation of 4 things from 5 = 5! = 5*4*3*2 = 120
The total number of ways to roll a die still is 1296.
Thus: the probability of not rolling a 3 and* a multiple is 120/1296 or 9.259%
and the probability of rolling at least one 3 or* a multiple is 1176/1296 =90.740%

90.740% is the magic answer, or rather the probability of you either rolling for 'The Withering' or getting a multiple (to get that one spell).
Thus, every 10 or 11 games you strategy should fail only 1.

Also, I think (but am not positive) that there is a 216/1296 or 1/6 chance of you not getting both the 3 and 6 spell
216 being calculated as 120 (for not getting spell 3) + 120 (for not getting spell 5) - 24 (for what is common between the two).

Thus, 5/6 games you should get both spells. I think that is right, but I am tired and don't want to bother in completely checking it. ;)

I hope that you were able to take what you wanted from this

~NightHawk45

MMMMmmmmm. I love computing with the compliment; makes life easy.

*= logical 'And', 'Or' respectively
Collinisimo

#5 Post by Collinisimo »

NightHawk45 wrote:The calculation is easy:
NightHawk45 wrote:Whew, that is a mouthful.
Hehe.

Thanks though!! That helps me get my mind around things. Also, it is good to know my strategy will work very well (both spells) 5/6 times, and good enough (only The Withering) 10/11 times. Looks like most all of the statistics, both pre-game and in-game, are in my favor. That's what I shoot for in a good army list!
Xarhain

#6 Post by Xarhain »

Don't forget you can cast the signature spell to reduce both movement (for your isolation tactic) and Initiative (for your pit of shades) at the same time for just 10+ if you have enough dice.

And of course, you'll get the sig spell every time.
Collinisimo

#7 Post by Collinisimo »

Xarhain wrote:Don't forget you can cast the signature spell to reduce both movement (for your isolation tactic) and Initiative (for your pit of shades) at the same time for just 10+ if you have enough dice.

And of course, you'll get the sig spell every time.
Wow, I didn't even realize that the Sig. Spell could reduce movement! That makes things much better...

However, with the Banner of Sorcery I will average 9 PD a turn. Therefore I can through 4 dice on the toughness reducing spell and 5 on the Pit of Shades (or vise versa) and that will give me a great chance of getting doubles. I don't think I can squeeze in another spell. I guess I'll use that if I don't roll the Pit, or if I really don't want someone to get to me that turn...
NightHawk45

#8 Post by NightHawk45 »

NightHawk45 wrote: Thus, every 10 or 11 games you strategy should fail only 1.
Man I was tired when I wrote this. Excuse my grammar...lol
NightHawk45 wrote:
Also, I think (but am not positive) that there is a 216/1296 or 1/6 chance of you not getting both the 3 and 6 spell
216 being calculated as 120 (for not getting spell 3) + 120 (for not getting spell 5) - 24 (for what is common between the two).

Thus, 5/6 games you should get both spells. I think that is right, but I am tired and don't want to bother in completely checking it. ;)
Well, I checked this last part and it is wrong. Haha!! 5/6 seemed way to high to be able to get 2 specific spells from 4 dice and so I looked into it. I have the probability now, but I'm gonna make sure it is right before I post anything. To give you an idea, it is around 3/5 instead of a whopping 5/6. I'll post it later.

Don't worry, the other probabilities are correct :D
Original Dragon Prince

#9 Post by Original Dragon Prince »

If I had the time/money/patience to buy and paint the models needed for this army, I would do it. It looks like a hell of a lot of fun to play. I really like the added bonus of being able to swap your heroes around from unit to unit when you cast so the prince and bsb are always where they are needed most. One question though, how about lore of light for this list? All the aoe buffs would be pretty sweet.
Warhammer, at it's core, is a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. As long as all choices in an army book fall under these categories, with their inherent strengths and weaknesses, there is balance. Imbalance occurs when the designers make a Rock that is immune to Paper. Daemon Princes, Ironblasters, etc.
Collinisimo

#10 Post by Collinisimo »

Original Dragon Prince wrote:If I had the time/money/patience to buy and paint the models needed for this army, I would do it. It looks like a hell of a lot of fun to play.
Now that is what you want to hear when posting your list! =D>
Original Dragon Prince wrote:One question though, how about lore of light for this list? All the aoe buffs would be pretty sweet.
Mostly because a lot of the strategy revolves around The Withering to make your shooting much more effective. With Okkam's Mindrazor being able to affect armor now, having 4 ranks of S8 LSG in combat is nothing to wave a stick at. The Pit of Shades is just an added bonus. However, I can see how Birona's Timewarp would be fun also. :mrgreen: I just like Shadow because if fixes all the elves weaknesses (no pun intended).
Collinisimo

#11 Post by Collinisimo »

So I just had my first game with this list - and I can surely say that everything went exactly as planned. My opponent played Deamons.

He had (very roughly, and I don't know the names of many things as I am unfamiliar with deamons)
Greater Unclean One - had some rule where whenever he took a wound, he made my models in base contact take a toughness check or take a wound.
3x Heralds - each in each of his big blocks.
Block #1 - herald in the block was riding some throne or something, which gave 6 poison attacks, and gave the unit regeneration. The unit had Initiative 1-2. :wink:
Block #2 - herald (which was BSB) gave the unit a 4+ ward. The unit also counted as a wizard and could cast spells.
Block #3 - Herald was riding some big beast and he had a 0+ save (!). Unit had killing blow and Str.5.
5x Flamers
Hounds with 2 wounds apiece.
Unit of 3x Screamers
Unit of 3x Screamers

I set up alternating LSG/PG/LSG/PG with two eagles on each side. I got every spell I wanted - The Signature Spell, The Withering, Pit of Shades, and Okkam's Mindrazor.
My opponent set up with everything opposite my units.

My opponent took first turn. His Flamers were opposite my left flank eagles, so he marched up and took one down to one wound, which was lucky for me that he didn't kill it. He just marched with everything else. He didn't get anything off during the magic phase and wouldn't really for the rest of the game. +5 dispelling is amazing!

On my turn, I stayed put except the eagles got in the way of Block #3 and the Hounds. The other two charged the Flamers, which one of was killed standing and shooting and the other (which had one wound) wiffed and was killed by the Flamers. Bummer there, underestimated the Flamers a little, however they did have to hit on 5s (WS2). Magic was amazing, rolled 5-5 for WoM, then rolled a 2 on my Banner of Sorcery for the max PD. I cast the large Pit of Shades template on his Block #1 (I1), rolled double ones for scatter and took out 1/3 of the unit (including the Herald). I then cast The Withering on the same unit to take its Toughness down to 2 (from 4) and wasted the rest with all of my shooting. (all of his blocks had about 24 in them I believe) I then cast the signature spell on Block #2 to slow it down to M1!! (from 4).

His second turn, he charged his 0+ save Herald out of Block #3 to take out the eagle, which was one inch away. I held, so Block #3 could move anywhere that turn. He charged my other eagle with his hounds also, which I fled so they would go off the board for a turn. Block #2 marched up its 2 inches. :mrgreen: His screamers bounced around a little to do some St.5 Hits on every unit they passed through, which killed 6 LSG (3 from each unit). Flamers flamed up my far left LSG unit, taking out another 5. He got within short range there. His Greater Unclean One attempted to charge a unit of PG, but rolled snake eyes on charge distance and lumbered up an inch. He plowed through my eagle with his Herald and moved right up to the front of my PG with my Prince.

On my second turn, I charged his Flamers with my (now smaller) unit of LSG. We were stuck in combat there for a while, me constantly winning combat and him constantly only taking one wound from loosing. That remained until close to the end of the game. I charged the lone 0+ save Herald with my unit of PG with my Prince, challenged it with my unit champ, killed it off of combat res, over-ran into Block #3. My other unit of PG moved up in preparation to get into combat with Block #2. I widdled Block #2 down to 2/3 strength through making it T1 and Shooting with one unit of LSG. I also slowed them down to M2. Pit of Shades was not cast, no easy prey this turn, and didn't have as many PD.

On his third turn, he charged my unit of PG with the BSB with Block #2, and then rolled 5+6 with his Greater Unclean One, much to my dismay, to charge and get a flank on the same unit. I was sure that he was too far away, and did not anticipate that. My BSB was on the far edge of my unit so he was in base contact with the Greater Unclean One, also much to my dismay. His screamers crisscrossed over my unit of LSG with the Archmage, and did another 6 wounds. His Hounds came back on the table and set up to flank my PG in combat with his Block #3. In combat, my PG with Prince won solidly against his Block #3, and he took more wounds from loosing combat. His Block #3 was then down to half strength. In the other combat, my BSB killed his BSB, but then his Greater Unclean One did a wound on my BSB. My PG proved their prowess through killing lots of his deamons, now 4+ wardsave-less after me killing his BSB Herald. Attacks back did minimum damage, as I rolled very well with my ward. His Greater Unclean One the used his vomit-flaming attack in combat which caused 10 hits, 8 wounds and then 2 casualties (!). The ward save continued is lucky streak. I won combat there by a couple of points, which did a couple of wounds on his Block #2, then 2 wounds on the Greater Unclean One. That then made my BSB as well as a couple of PG take strength tests. It killed the BSB, but no PG. The combat between my LSG and his Flamers continued to no real result.

On my third turn, I cast Okkams Mindrazor on my unit of PG in combat with his Greater Unclean One and Block #2, which was down to 1/3 of its models now. I also reduced the toughness of his Block #3 to 2. Then, in combat, I beat his Block #3 rather soundly, afterward he only had a couple of models left. In the other PG combat with his Greater Unclean One, Okkam's Mindrazor proved to be amazing. I tore through most of his Block #2 and did 3 wounds on his Greater Unclean One (but suffered a little from that). I won by a lot, which killed the rest of the Block #2, and did 4 more wounds on the Greater Unclean One (which killed all models in base to base). I reformed to face the Greater Unclean One, which now had one wound left. The LSG vs. Flamer battle was still uneventful, but he was down to one flamer with one wound left.

On his fourth turn, he flanked my PG with the Prince with his Hounds. He also flew over my unit of LSG with my Archmage with his Screamers, doing 6 more wounds, taking them below half strength. In combat I finished off his Greater Unclean One with my Okkam's Mindrazor boosted PG. I then killed the rest of his Block #3 with my other unit of PG, and reformed to be in front contact with his Hounds. My LSG finally finished off his flamers. All he then had left were his Screamers, and his doomed hounds, so he forfeit.

Overview:

PG are amazing. 3+ with a re-roll to wound is priceless. The 4+ ward is amazing as well. Okkam's Mindrazor on them makes them into a uber-unit that will be very hard to beat. Being able to take out an entire block in the first turn through shooting and magic was incredible, my strategy worked out amazingly in that aspect. The Book of Hoeth is priceless as I can easily rely on getting two spells off every phase as I average 9 PD a turn. I don't think I rolled many to hits where I wasn't rolling either 2+s or 3+s through either Okkam's Mindrazor or The Withering. On my right flank, my Eagles did exactly what they were supposed to, however on my left I think I used them poorly.

Overall, I love my list, and will continue using it.
Marwynn

#12 Post by Marwynn »

Good to hear! You have a very solid list that I may just find myself copying if the Lion Chariots don't work out as planned.

Great luck with magic as well. Sounds like a very fun game.
Bolt Thrower

#13 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Glad it went so well. Great report! Look forward to more.
Collinisimo

#14 Post by Collinisimo »

Thanks everyone. I have another game on Thursday, and I'll post a battle report. I'll be facing Empire...

Any tips on taking down the Steam Tank I will inevitably see there? Will Okkam's Mindrazor on PG do? If I hit it in the flank ranked 6x4, I should get all 12 attacks from the PG and then 4 attacks from the Prince. That should be 10.66666 hits from the PG and ~3.5 wounds with no saves (LD9), then 3 wounds from the Prince and 1.5 wounds with no saves (LD10). Two rounds of combat with 5 wounds per round should do the trick.

Anything else I should be worried about?
Collinisimo

#15 Post by Collinisimo »

So I just finished my game with my Empire opponent. He is a great player and fun to play against. It was a very tight game, right up until the end.

He had (once again roughly, i'm bad with other army's unit names):
Lord on Chariot with some very tricky items, you'll see later.
Level 4 - took lore of fire
Level 2 - took lore of life - never really cast anything
2x Warrior Priests
Engineer
Block #1 of basic troops - around 30 models ranked 5x6
Block #2 of basic troops - around 30 models ranked 5x6
Block #3 of Great Weapons - around 20 models ranked 5x4
3x units of 5 skirmishing archers
unit of 10 crossbowmen
2x Mortars
1x Rocket Launcher
1x Great Cannon
Steam Tank

So we set up, I set up in the same general formation as last time - GE/GE/PG(bsb)/LSG(archmage)/PG(prince)/LSG/GE/GE. I got the same spells I had last game (couldn't believe my luck).
My opponent sets up with everything around his Stank and Chariot in the middle heading strait for my line.

My opponent goes first. His Chariot and Stank move forward down the line strait for my right PG. This intimidated me, as I made some rather bad decisions later in the game. He also just sort of moved everything else up slightly. In his magic phase nothing really happened, he may have knocked off some LSG. For shooting, his two Mortars and Rocket Launcher did a great number on my PG with prince unit and my LSG with Archmage unit.

On my first turn, I charged his Stank with my PG needing a 7 to get in contact, but failed with a 6. I rolled up 5 inches there. My other unit of PG marched up looking for combat. With one of his big units of basic troops. His unit of GWs were on my right heading for my far right unit of LSG. Both my LSG stayed back to shoot. 3 of my eagles started heading for his war machines, as they were causing a lot of damage. My 4th eagle went and blocked his Chariot with Lord from combo charging my PG with his Stank. During the magic phase, I made my PG headed for his Stank S9 through Okkam's Mindrazor (my plan from my previous post). I also cast the Pit of Shades on his Lord Chariot, which he passed his check for. Through shooting I knocked some ranks off his GW unit, and shot at his Chariot with the other to find a nice 1+/4++ waiting for me on his Lord. Nothing happened there. As you can see, the fact that he marched his Lord and Stank right for my messed up my original plans. I had to focus on them too much with magic and shooting, which looking back I think cost me the win.

On his second turn he charged the eagle with his Lord Chariot. I held so he couldn't redirect. I now saw that I angled the eagle wrong, he would then be able to go for my unit of LSG holding my Archmage. That was a game changer. Anyways, he charged my unit of PG bumped up with Okkam's Mindrazor with his Stank. He also charged my far right LSG with his GWs, I stood and shot, knocking off a rank. He moved up slightly with everything else. During his magic phase he dispelled Okkam's Mindrazor. A couple of turns later we realized that this was illegal as the spell is not remains in play, but we decided not to go back and fix it, as he had to waste a magic phase on it - so it balanced out. He shot and put some wounds on my eagles with his skirmishing archers (killed one I believe), and did some more damage to my LSG and PG units that were not in combat with his mortars/rocket launcher. In combat, I took just one wound with my PG but put one on his Stank back. We sat tight there. He beat my LSG with his GWs, I fled and got away, just far enough to not go off the board. He plowed through my GE with his Lord Chariot and headed for my Archmage unit when he over-ran.

On my second turn, I charged one of his blocks of basic troops with my PG unit. I also charged each of his mortars with my remaining two great eagles. My fleeing unit of LSG rallied and turned to face him for another round of beating. In the magic phase I gave the same unit back it's Okkam's Mindrazor, and nothing else due to rolling poorly on the WoM. In shooting I shot more at his Chariot that was bound to charge me next turn. I wanted to leave the unit with my Archmage, but I knew that if I did, then he would be shot to bits by his skirmishers that were within range. In the close combat phase, I beat his large unit of basic troops with my PG, but he put a wound on my BSB. He then failed his Steadfast test and fled. I didn't catch him. I put 5 wounds on his Stank with Okkam's Mindrazor, as he told me everything auto-hits the Stank. I beat both of his mortars with my eagles and ran him down, one off the table, and the other right into his Rocket Launcher that was right behind it.

On his third turn, he once again charged my LSG with his GWs. He was too close for me to stand and shoot. He also charged my LSG bunker containing my Archmage with his Lord Chariot. He didn't do much in the magic phase. He failed to rally with his large unit of basic troops that was fleeing. He moved a unit of skirmishers to block my path to his fleeing unit so that I wouldn't charge it off the board. His other unit of basic troops just kept turning around as where it was needed changed each turn... it didn't do much the entire game. His magic phase was uneventful, as was his shooting phase. In close combat, however, he ran down my unit of LSG with his GWs, and then proceeded to do the same with my other unit of LSG with his Lord Chariot after killing my Archmage. He took another 3 wounds to his Stank, dropping it to 1 left. I killed his Rocket Launcher with my eagle and reformed turning to face his lone Engineer that was near all three war machines.

On my third turn, I charged his unit of skirmishers hoping to plow through it and over run into his fleeing unit, as I had the angle to do so. I also charged his Engineer with my eagle. My other eagle came back on the board. There was no magic or shooting phase, so we went strait to combat. I killed the last wound off the Stank (finally!!) and reformed to face the Lord Chariot that had come back on the table after running off the LSG. I won the other combat that the PG were in, but lost the BSB doing so (rather bad luck with the 2+ saves..). He held. I plowed through his Engineer with my eagle, and ran into the back of his crossbowmen. My eagles were rocking the show!! Making up for at least two times their points. Two mortars, a rocket launcher, and an engineer.

On his fourth turn, he charged my PG with Prince that had just killed his Stank with his Lord Chariot. He also tried to charge with his GWs, but failed. Magic was uneventful. Shooting he took down an eagle. In close combat, he beat and ran down my unit of PG that was fighting his big unit of basic troops. I was outnumbered at this point and was rolling poorly here, so it was fitting that I rolled double 6's after he beat me by one point.. #-o He killed my other eagle with his crossbowmen. In the other combat with his Lord Chariot and my Prince with PG he challenged with his Lord. Thinking I could do some damage with my Prince, I accepted. This was a terrible mistake. He revealed and item that switched my Princes stats with his lords. So now I had only two attacks at WS and I 4. I wiffed. He then took 'my' 4 attacks at WS7 and with hatred, he hit all 4 times. He then wounded on 2's, so 4 wounds. I thought that 4 S5 attacks would be no problem with my now 4+/4+/4++, but he then told me that he had some special item that allowed him to pick a character in my army that would not be allowed to roll armor saves against him. He had picked my Prince. I then only saved one of the four wounds, killing my prince. I called the game there.

Overview:

My opponent played his game well, and I believe he deserved the victory. He was smart to threaten me as he did with his Stank and his Lord Chariot. I made a few tactical mistakes with the positioning on the eagle that led his lord to my archmage, and not leaving the unit with my archmage as I should have. His lord was a nasty character killer that I should have seen coming.

My eagles once again proved their worth. I love having them. They can do so many things! The BoH was as good as always, but didn't preform as well as it should have.

Better luck next time!

I will be playing again next Tuesday. Will post another report then.
Last edited by Collinisimo on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcpolle

Re: 'The Guardians' Gaming Blog

#16 Post by mcpolle »

Sounds like you did fine against what is going to be a hard army in 8th, with 2 mortars, a cannon, a Stank and his general, that is a lot to contend with, but one bright side is, you took out the Stank, that in itself should be a moral victory for you.

Your best bet against his Arch lector, that is the dude on the chariot, is no character, but a big unit, where he can sit and do nothing, he has only 2 attacks polus the horses, he could also take a magic thing called Van Horstmans speculum, which if he fights any of your characters he can swap all the good stats, so you get str 4, T 4 2 A and so on, so a big unit of Sea guard 4 deep, and he should stay there for quite some time.

But nice to hear the reports, keep them coming.

And god bless those eagles :-)

Polle
Collinisimo

#17 Post by Collinisimo »

Yes, I think that accepting the challenge with my Prince was a big mistake, but we were playing closed list, and I learned what he had the hard way. Now I'll know for next time!
pk-ng

#18 Post by pk-ng »

1 rule against empire. If you're in combat with his War Altar (Lord on Chariot) never attack the dude on top. Always attack the War Altar and kill it off first. It that's what gives the Lord the 4+ WS and other buffs as well. But sounds like a good game.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Bolt Thrower

#19 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Thanks for the reports. They are good learning material. It seems like you were able to recognize mistakes made during the game that will help you in the future and that is a huge part of the game. I'm sure from now on you will always be super anal about how your eagle is angled against every opponent.

Look forward to your next report!
wolfhaxer

#20 Post by wolfhaxer »

You're using mostly a list like me

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=32755

Didnt tought it was a tough list before I ran over a DE with Lord on dragon, double hydra, 30 Xbows and 15 shades ;)
Collinisimo

#21 Post by Collinisimo »

There's a chance that I'll be playing another game today, so look for another bat-rep this afternoon!
Collinisimo

#22 Post by Collinisimo »

Just finished my game for today, played a Warriors of Chaos player.

He had:
Sorcerer Lord - lvl. 4 Disc - 2+/3++
Sorcerer - lvl. 2 Infernal puppet.
Exalted BSB
18 Warriors
18 Warriors
18 Marauders
5 Warhounds
5 Warhounds
6 Knights
6 Knights
Hellcannon

We rolled an amazing amount of terrain, but somehow managed to stuff it all on the flanks. This made it seem like we were playing on a 4x4 board. You'll probably guess the spells I rolled. Yup, same as always. Sig Spell/The Withering/Pit of Shades/Okkam's Mindrazor. I believe that the spell I will always take on doubles is now Okkam's Mindrazor, as that has been the biggest game changer so far in all of my games.

I deployed GE/GE/LSG/PG(bsb)/PG(prince)/LSG(archmage)/GE/GE. There was a building in the middle of the field, that was the only terrain that really mattered.

I went first. Because his two hound units moved 12" before the game, I charged one with two of my GEs. The other two moved up so that one blocked a unit of his Knights so that he couldn't move anywhere other that charging them, and the other just moved up to the flank. My two PG units moved up together and angled out so that their center corners were next to the building and their flanks were protected by it. They kinda looked like this: /\ with the building next to their top corners. In the magic phase I gave the eagle blocking his Knights Okkam's Mindrazor so that if he charged I might be able to take one or two with me. I also threw the Pit of Shades on a unit of his Marauders. It scattered so that it nicked one of his knights (that were being blocked by my eagle) and a third of his marauders. I killed a rank of marauders, and took out the one knight. He took off one so that they were no longer blocked by the eagle. During the shooting phase I killed a knight (from the unit not blocked). I also killed a few more Marauders. During the combat phase I blew through his Warhounds with my eagles and overran right in front of his Hellcannon, which is just what I wanted.

On his first turn, he moved up with everything. He passed his Frenzy check with his knights so he did not charge my GE. The knights then moved into charge range with my right PG unit. His Marauders did the same, moved within range of my left PG unit. His two blocks of Warriors were behind them, one behind his Knights the other behind his Marauders. His second unit of knights just marched up my right flank. He killed some PG with his magic. He also got off a spell that made all doubles miscasts for me, and me not to be able to use my characters leadership. His shooting scattered away, doing nothing.

During my second turn, I flank charged each unit of his Warriors units with my two right flank GE, one in each unit. You'll see why later - this is my favorite GE tactic. I also charged his Hellcannon with my two GE that were right in front of it. My right unit of PG charged his unit of Knights. My left unit of PG charged his Marauders. During the magic phase, I dispelled his remains in play spell, and then cast Okkam's Mindrazor on my PG fighting his Knights. It went off with double 6s however. I then rolled a four on the miscast table and my Archmage was sucked into the warp, nuking his LSG bunker as he did it. It was quite disheartening for the Guardians. The shooting phase was uneventful, I didn't do much. However the combat phase was quite different. The two eagles in combat with his Hellcannon killed two Chaos Dwarves, then took some wounds back but held. I blew through his Marauders with my left unit of PG and then overran into his left unit of Warriors. Because I had flanked it with a GE, they could fight again in the same round of combat. I managed to win here also - they broke and I ran them down with the GE. I stayed put with my PG. I blew through his Knights with my PG bumped with Okkam's Mindrazor, as he got no saves with S9. However, I did not overrun far enough with then to fight again with the second unit of Warriors. They stopped right in front of the Warriros. The warrior unit that was still alive then killed the GE that was in it's flank.

On his second turn, he charged my PG unit with his remaining Warrior unit. He also attempted to charge my LSG with his left unit of Knights, but rolled 1/1/2 for the charge and rolled up two inches. During his magic phase he killed some PG and LSG with his Disc Sorcerer. In the combat phase he killed the two eagles that were in combat with his Hellcannon. We tied the combat between my PG and his Warriors.

On my third turn, I moved my GE that had just ran down his Warriors in front of his Knights, so that he couldn't charge my LSG. I then reformed my PG that were not in combat so that they would charge his Knights if they attempted to charge my GE. My LSG stayed put. They both shot at his Knight unit, but did no wounds. During combat, I beat his Warriors with my PG. They broke, but I didn't catch them.

On his third turn, he charged my Eagle with his Knights, because he failed his Frenzy test. I fled, and he moved up 6 inches, so I had a perfect flank charge with my PG next turn. He also rallied with his warriors, turning and facing my PG for another round of beating. During magic I think he killed more of my LSG, who were now dwindling. On his shooting phase he finally hit my right LSG unit with his Hellcannon, and killed a bunch of them.

On my fourth turn, I charged his Warriors with one unit of PG, and flanked his Knights with the other unit of PG. I then moved one unit of LSG so that he had to run through them if he fled with his Knights. Shooting was uneventful for there was nothing left to shoot at. In the combat phase, I beat his Warriors again, he fled, and I didn't catch him. I beat his Knights, killing two. He fled with the remaining three, and had to flee through my LSG and an obstacle, so he took some dangerous terrain checks. He failed two, so he only had one left.

On his fourth turn, he rallied with his Knight, but not with his Warriors, who ran off the table. His shooting with his Hellcannon missed, and he killed a few more LSG with his Sorcerer in the magic phase.

On my fifth turn, I swiftly reformed with my LSG to face his lone Knight. My PG that had chased his Warriors off the table moved to face the Hellcannon. During the shooting phase, my LSG killed his last Knight.

On his fifth turn, he killed some PG with his Sorcerer. He missed with his Hellcannon. Those two models were the only two on the table.

On my sixth turn, I charged his Hellcannon with my PG. I beat it through combat res and ran it down. The game ended with him only having his Sorcerer and me having everything but a unit of LSG and my GEs. Most of my units only had a few models in it through his Magic.

Overview:

I was very happy that I was able to use my 'place holder' strategy with my eagles, allowing my PG to fight twice in the same combat phase. It was also very reassuring to know that I could still get a very solid victory without my Archmage, as it died very early on. The Archmage still did his job, however, as he gave the PG Okkam's Mindrazor, allowing them to plow through his Knights. Otherwise I believe they would have been stuck there for a while, with the Knights having a 1+ save and all.

My next game is on Tuesday for sure, if I don't get another one between now and then.
Last edited by Collinisimo on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bolt Thrower

#23 Post by Bolt Thrower »

The "place holder" strategy is a good one. Eagles are a good use for that. Sounds like it would have been a really devastating victory had your AM not died. A nice, solid victory!
Taliessin

#24 Post by Taliessin »

Wow, that is a really great use of great eagles, i will HAVE to use that in the future! :)
May the Mods smite me if I step out of line. ;)
[size=1]...and we're watching, with fiery lightning and the wrath of god... and such[/size] <-- Apparently they can place hidden messages in my sig! O.O
Collinisimo

#25 Post by Collinisimo »

My eagles have never failed me so far with this list. There are so many uses for them! I may end up writing a tactica for them, because I have a few more tricks up my sleeve. :wink:
NightHawk45

#26 Post by NightHawk45 »

NightHawk45 wrote: Well, I checked this last part and it is wrong. Haha!! 5/6 seemed way to high to be able to get 2 specific spells from 4 dice and so I looked into it. I have the probability now, but I'm gonna make sure it is right before I post anything. To give you an idea, it is around 3/5 instead of a whopping 5/6. I'll post it later.

Don't worry, the other probabilities are correct :D
I figured it out and so here it goes.
We want the probability of getting exactly 2 spells that we pick from rolling 4 dice. Let's put them at #5,6.
This means that we can either
a) get none of the 2 spells,
b) get exactly one of the 2 spells, or
c) get both spells.
We are wanting the probability of c). Note that the probability of a)+b)+c)=1.

The probability of a) is 24/1296 as I showed earlier.
b) works as follows

Think about us having 4 slots which represent the 4 dice to be rolled

In these slots, we can either get
1) 5, no 6's, and no multiples
2) 6, no 5's, and no multiples
3) no 6's, no 5's and exactly 1 double

The probability for both 1) and 2) work out the same way so we can just do #1 and then double it.
for 1) fix 5 to be in the first slot. Then we have remaining numbers to put in 3 slots. This is a simple permutation of
P(4,3)=4x3x2=24 ways to do this. Now, if we unfix 5, there are 4 positions that it can go. Thus, we have
24x4=96 ways to do this

3) is a tad bit more complicated, but not by much.
Let's fix the double to be a pair of 1's and put them in the first two slots. We will slowly unfix these positions (as before) to find the probability.
The leaves 3 numbers to fill 2 slots (2,3 or 4) or in math lingo P(3,2)=3x2=6
Let's unfix the number. There are 4 numbers that the double could be 1,2,3,4. Thus, we have 6x4=24 ways to do this
Finally, lets unfix the position of the double. There are 4 slots to be filled by 2 items or P(4,2)=4x3=12 ways to do this.
We have 24x12=288 ways to arrange 3)
1)+2)+3)=96+96+288=480

Probability of a)=24/1296
Probability of b)=480/1296
Therefore, the Probability of c)= 1- 24/1296-480/1296 = 1-504/1296 = 792/1296 = 55/90 =61.11%

Thus, if you roll 4 dice and want to get 2 specific spells, there is a 61.11% chance of you getting both of them!

enjoy

-NightHawk45
Collinisimo

#27 Post by Collinisimo »

Thanks once again NightHawk for your insight!

I also have another Bat-Rep for all of you. I finished my Tuesday night game against a Tomb King player. The list went something like this:

High Hyrophant (or whatever their wizards are called)
3x Hyrophants
2x Kings/Princes (one on a chariot)
30x Skeleton Archers (one hyrophant here)
25x Tomb Guardians (one King/Prince here)
25x Skeleton Spears (2x Hyrophant and High Hyrophant here)
5x Light Chariots (King on Chariot here to rank it 3x2)
Bone Giant
Skull Catapult

I had the same spells as always. This time I was kinda hoping for a change of pace, but nope. Deployment went something like this:

-------[Catapult]-----------------------------------
-----------------[Spears]---[Giant]-------------------
[Chariots]-------[Tomb Guard]---------[Archers]-------
---------------------------------------------------
--[GE][GE]-[LSG(mage)]-[PG]-[PG]-[LSG]-[GE][GE]----------

My opponent took the fist turn. She moved up with everything that could, but didn't march with anything (?). Her magic phase was like a whole other turn in its self. Because TK didn't use PD and also couldn't fail to cast anything there wasn't much I could do, because I always had a limited number of DD. She made everything move up further (still no marching) and she made the archers shoot (which killed a GE, and also made the Catapult shoot, which hit a PG unit, but I miraculously made all my saves. During her actual shooting phase, she killed the other GE on my right flank with her archers, and shot with her catapult but the shot scattered away.

On my second turn, one GE moved up to block her chariot unit and divert it away from my LSG Archmage bunker. I also moved my other eagle past his Chariots to set up a charge against the catapult. Everything else stayed put. In my magic phase, I cast (with double 6's) the small pit on her Bone Giant. It didn't scatter fat, and the I1 Giant fell to its DOOM!! (if I may quote the book). However, I rolled a 10 on the miscast table, and lost two wizard levels, and lost the Myasma (sig spell) and the Pit of Shades. That was all for magic. During shooting I took out some Archers and some of the Tomb Guardian unit.

End of turn one looked like this:

-------[Catapult]-----------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------
--------------------[Spears]------[Archers]-----------
----------[GE]----[Tomb Guard]----------------------
--[Chariots]-----------------------------------------
--[GE]----------------------------------------------
---------[LSG(mage)]-[PG]-[PG]-[LSG]------------------

On my opponents turn two, everything moved up more. The chariots charged my GE, and I held so they couldn't redirect. In the mini-turn magic phase, the Archers shot and killed a couple LSG. The Chariots attacked and killed the GE, allowing the Chariots to then reform and face my LSG (!). The catapult shot and missed. The Tomb Guard were resurrected to full health. In the actual shooting phase, the Catapult missed again, and the archers killed a few more LSG. Since the GE was killed in the magic phase, there was no combat phase.

In my turn two, the Tomb Guard looked a little two far away to charge, so I stayed my line there. The GE charged my opponents catapult successfully. In the magic phase, I attempted to cast Okkam's Mindrazor on my LSG so they would have a good chance of killing the Chariots, but I failed!! I rolled 1,1,2,2, not enough to cast the spell. This brought up a rather interesting debate - does the Book of Hoeth need to reach the casting value of the spell in order to go off irresistibly? We decided that it did, so I failed to cast the spell, and that was it for my magic phase. During shooting, I put a wound on the chariots with the LSG, and killed a few more Archers. In the combat phase, I destroyed the catapult crew with my eagle, and reformed to face all of the action.

End of turn two looked like this:

---------[GE]--------------------------------------
--------------------------------[Archers]-----------
--------------------[Spears]------------------------
--[Chariots]--------[Tomb Guard]---------------------
---------[LSG(mage)]-[PG]-[PG]-[LSG]------------------

On my opponents turn three, he charged my LSG Archmage bunker with his Chariots, I stood and shot, getting one wound. He moved up with everything else, except for the archers, who turned around to face the GE. During his mini-turn magic phase, he charged my right unit of PG (who had the Prince with them) with his Tomb Guard. He moved up his Spears unit. He made the Archers shoot, and they took out my GE. He also made his Tomb Guard fight, and they killed two PG. I saw that his King had a tricky item that did 2 auto-wounds per model in base contact with his King, but my 4+ wards were on fire. During the actual combat phase, the Chariots beat my LSG and broke them. They fled and got away, not quite off the board yet. We tied the combat with the TG vs. PG, after I challenged his King with my PG champ. He killed the champ, but I put a wound on his King.

On my third turn, I rallied my LSG bunker to turn and face his Chariots for another round of combat. I flank charged his TG with my LSG. I also tried to charge his Skeleton Spears behind his TG with my PG, but failed and rolled up 4 inches. During the magic phase, I once again failed to cast Okkam's Mindrazor with my Archmage, who was rolling very poorly. During the combat phase, the King challenged again which I accepted with my LSG champ. I didn't want to accept with my prince because the King was S7. I won combat by a 10 points, and he crumbled to about 7 models in the unit.

End of turn three looked like this:

---------------------------[Archers]----------------
--------------------[Spears]------------------------
-----------------[PG]-[TG][LSG]----------------------
----------------------[PG]--------------------------
------[Chariots]-------------------------------------
-----------[LSG(mage)]------------------------------

On my opponents fourth turn, she charged my LSG Archmage bunker for the second time, and I held. She also charged my LSG flanking his TG with her Skeleton Spears making one very large combat. She turned her archers around and moved them forward toward the action. During her magic phase, she resurrected her TG unit to almost full strength. In combat, I had to accept her Kings challenge with my Prince this time, and amazingly I took no wounds. I did one back there, putting the King at 1 (maybe two, I can't remember) wound left. After rolling very well on my LSG 5+ saves, I won combat again by around 6. These 3+ re-rolling to hits were doing wonders in combat. My opponents units crumbled to about half strength. However, the chariots beat my LSG Archmage bunker, and I ran off the table. The chariots reformed.

On my fourth turn, I attempted to flank my opponents Skeleton Spears, however we then noticed that they were out of the sight arc. I then just moved up in preparation to flank there. There was no shooting nor magic, so we went strait to combat. My Prince finally killed her King. I won by around 9 points, and my opponents TG crumbled away into nothingness and Skeleton Spears crumbled down to the banner. I still had not killed any of the three Hyrophants in that unit. My PG, who were now no longer in combat, reformed to face the Chariots. My LSG reformed to be face to face with her Spears.

End of turn four looked like this:

-----------------------------[Archers]--------------
-------------------[PG]--[Spears]--------------------
--------------------------[LSG]----------------------
----------------------[PG]--------------------------
-----------[Chariots]--------------------------------

On my opponents fifth turn, her chariots turned tail and ran from my PG. The archers swiftly reformed and moved up slightly to get in range for a magic flank charge on my PG. During the magic phase, my opponent raised the Skeleton Spears (who came back at twice the rate as the TG) to full strength again. She also attempted to cast the charge spell on her Skeleton archers which I eagerly dispelled. During combat I killed a few of her Skeleton Spears and she killed a few of my LSG back. I lost combat but held.

On my fifth turn, I flanked her Spears with my PG, and (needing a 9 for charge range) successfully rear charged her Chariots with my other PG unit. In combat, I beat the Chariots and they crumbled to combat res. I also won very soundly against her Spears, and she crumbled to a few Spears left. I also managed to kill her two Hyrophants in that unit, but not her High Hyrophant.

End of turn five looked like this:

------------------------[Archers]-------------------
---------------------[PG][Spears]--------------------
--------------------------[LSG]----------------------
------[PG]------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------

On her turn six, she flanked my PG with her archers, and during the magic phase wasn't able to bring back as many Skeleton Spears as she needed. I won combat in the combat phase, taking out the remaining Skeleton Spears, and half of the Archer unit due to combat res crumbling.

On my turn six, I just killed the remaining archers and her High Hyrophant. The game ended with me having all but my Archmage, a unit of LSG, and my GEs on the table, and my opponent having nothing.

Overview:

This is the second game I have won with having very poor Magic. I really think that PG can hold their own against almost anything due to the re rolling to hits - it is a very strong change of pace for the High Elves. Another good game for the Guardians.
Collinisimo

#28 Post by Collinisimo »

So I just joined a local League, and one of the league rules is that if you post a Battle Report, you get an additional .5 league points. So lucky me!

I just finished my league game against a O&G player. Here is the Battle Report.

For my spells I rolled Melkoth's Mystifying Miasma, The Enfeebling Foe, The Withering, and The Penumbral Pendulum. Not so great there, but decent enough. Here is roughly what my opponent brought:

Lord Level Big Boss - 7 attack strength 7 ASF - pretty scary. In the unit of Black Orcs.
2x Orc Shamans - one in the unit of Black Orcs, and the other on foot alone.
1x Gobbo Shaman - in the unit of Night Gobbos
BSB Gobbo - in the unit of Night Gobbos
Orc Hero - In the unit of Frenzied Orcs
Unit of ~25x Black Orcs
Unit of ~30x Frenzied Orcs (horde)
Unit of ~50x Night Gobbos (horde) - 2 fanatics
Unit of 10x Spider Riders
2x Chuckas
2x Doom Divers

Beginning deployment looked something like this:

--------------------[Ch]-[Ch]-[DD]-[DD]--------------
--[SRs]----------[BOs]-----[NightGs]-[FrenzyOs]--------
----------[E]-[E]-[PG1]-[LSG1]-[LSG2]-[PG2]-[E]-[E]------

Key:

[SRs] - Spider Riders
[BOs] - Black Orcs
[NightGs] - Night Gobbos
[FrenzyOs] - Frenzy Orcs
[Ch] - Chucka
[DD] - Doom Diver

[E] - Eagle
[PG1] - Phoenix Guard with Razor Standard and Prince
[PG2] - Phoenix Guard with Banner of Sorcery and BSB
[LSG1] - Lothern Sea Guard with Archmage
[LSG2] - Lothern Sea Guard with Flame Banner

High Elf Turn 1:

I took the first turn. I moved up slightly with everything so that the LSG could shoot on my first turn. The Eagles moved up more but just out of charge range of his units, in preparation to charge his war machines that were behind his units on a hill. Magic was relatively uneventful, I cast the Pendulum through his Gobbos into his left Dive Bomber Warmachine but it only did one wound. He then dispelled the Miasma I cast in his Black Orcs, as I only used two dice. Shooting did little to nothing, I only took out a couple Knight Gobbos.

O&G Turn 1:

They did not move forward any, but the Black Orcs moved closer to his Night Gobbos so that I couldn't charge the warmachines with my eagles. The Spider Riders failed their Animosity check, so they stayed still. During his magic phase, he mainly focused on my Eagles, and he killed one. He also used a bound item to try and wound my Archmage, but it failed to wound. Shooting phase was uneventful, as both Doom Divers scattered away, and the Chuckas both missed.

End of turn 1 looked something like this:

--------------------[Ch]-[Ch]-[DD]-[DD]--------------
--[SRs]-------------[BOs]--[NightGs]-[FrenzyOs]--------
-------------------[E]----------------[E]-[E]---------
-----------------[PG1]-------------[PG2]------------
----------------------[LSG1]-[LSG2]-----------------

High Elf Turn 2:

Realizing that I did not want to get to close to the Night Gobbos with my eagles (fanatics), I decided not to charge with my Eagles and flew around with the two on the left to be able to flank charge the warmachines, and with the right Eagle I flew around and triggered the fanatics from behind. Now wanting the fanatics to go through his own units, he decided to release them to the front. They each moved 7". I moved up each unit of PG up slightly. During the magic phase, I thew the pendulum at his warmachine again, but this time it only went far enough to hit his Night Gobbos. During the shooting phase, each unit of LSG shot down a fanatic, removing both from the table.

O&G Turn 2:

My opponent did not charge, but moved everything up slightly. He also moved his Spider Riders up right behind my Eagle that was to the left of his Chucka. During the magic phase, he made the Spider Riders charge the rear of my Eagle. He also put two wounds on another Eagle. However, in doing so, the spell came back and let me do the same thing to one of his units. I put a wound on his Orc Shaman that was in the open. By the way, that shaman hid behind his Frenzy Orcs most of the game. In the shooting phase, both of his Doom Divers scattered away, but one of the Chuckas took down an eagle. In the combat phase, my Eagle was killed by his Spider Riders.

End of turn 2 looked something like this:

---------------[SRs]-[Ch]-[Ch]-[DD]-[DD]----[E]--------
-------------------[BOs]--[NightGs]-[FrenzyOs]--------
-----------------[PG1]-------------[PG2]------------

High Elf Turn 3:

On my turn, I charged his far left Doom Diver with my Eagle with one wound left. I also moved my PG up just a tad. During the magic phase, I cast the pendulum on his Black Orcs, killing 7. I also cast The Withering on his Frenzy Orcs, reducing their toughness to 2. During the shooting phase, both units of LSG shot at his now T2 Frenzy Orcs. Because they only had a 6+ ward, I killed 13 of them. In the combat phase, I killed a Doom Diver crew with my Eagle, beat them in combat, but they held.

O&G Turn 3:

My opponent called a WAAGH!!, so his Black Orcs moved up 3", his Night Gobbos moved up 6", his Frenzy Orcs stayed where they were, and his Spider Riders rolled a one, so they killed two of their own. The Black Orcs then charged my left unit of PG, and my right unit of PG was charged by his Frenzy Orcs, but also flank charged by his Night Gobbos. In the shooting phase, he failed to do anything to my LSG. During combat, I beat his Black Orcs by about 5, after surviving his General's 7 S7 attacks in a challenge with my Prince (no wounds though). He passed his break check with double ones. The other combat was a different story, I lost by about 5 over there with my other PG that were flanked by his Night Gobbos, but I passed my break check on the BSBs reroll. In the combat with my Eagle, I won again and he broke and fled. Running through his two Chuckas, one failed their leadership check and ran off the board, and the other I overran into.

End of turn 3 looked something like this:

---------------[SRs]------[Ch][E]--------------------
-----------------[BOs]---------------[FrenzyOs]------
-----------------[PG1]---------[NightGs][PG2]--------

High Elf Turn 4:

I rear charged the Night Goblins that were flanking my PG, and I flank charged the Black Orcs in combat with my other PG. In the magic phase I reduced the Black Orcs Strength, Weapon Skill, and Initiative by 2. During the combat phase, I beat and ran down my opponents last Chucka with my eagle. I also beat and ran down my opponents Black Orcs with my PG and my LSG. I then finally, with the help of the LSG in the rear of the Night Gobbos, won the other combat by a ton. Both the Frenzy Orcs and the Night Gobbos ran. I chased down the Frenzy Orcs with my PG, but the Night Gobbos got away from my LSG.

My opponent called the game at this point, as all he had left on the table was his Spider Riders and his fleeing Night Gobbos.

Overview:

The match up between High Elves and O&G was not the best one, but my opponent did what he could. One eagle with only one wound being able to run down all four warmachines was also quite the spectacle. Even though I didn't really roll the spells I wanted, I was able to do quite well with them. They really turned the tide in some of the combats.

A great and fun game as always. In some ways it came down to whether or not I could hold when my right unit of PG was combo charged by his Frenzy Orcs and his Night Gobbos, which I did.
Collinisimo

#29 Post by Collinisimo »

Well I just finished my second league game, where I played against the same WoC player I played before and posted in the same thread. Here is my BatRep.

For my spells, I rolled the following: The Enfeebling Foe, The Withering, The Pit of Shades, and Okkam's Mindrazor. Pretty happy there. Here is an overview of my opponent's list:

Sorcerer Lord - lvl. 4 Disk - 2+/3++
Exalted BSB
18 Warriors
18 Warriors
~28 Marauders
6 Knights
6 Knights
Hellcannon
Hellcannon

This is what the beginning setup of the table looked like:

------------[HC]------------------[HC]--------------
-----[CK]-----[CW1]------[CM]-[CW2]-[CK]--[D]--------
----[Forest]-----------------------------[Forest]-----
-------[E]-[E]-[PG1]-[LSG1]-[LSG2]-[PG2]-[E]-[E]---------

Key:

[HC] - Hell Cannon
[CK] - Chaos Knights
[CW1] - Chaos Warriors
[CW2] - Chaos Warriors with BSB
[CM] - Chaos Marauders
[D] - Disk

[E] - Eagle
[PG1] - Phoenix Guard with Razor Standard and Prince
[PG2] - Phoenix Guard with Banner of Sorcery and BSB
[LSG1] - Lothern Sea Guard with Archmage
[LSG2] - Lothern Sea Guard with Flame Banner

Chaos Warriors Turn 1:

My opponent took first turn. He marched everything up, and flew his Disk behind his own line. Magic did nothing as I dispelled everything. However, in the shooting phase, one of his Hellcannons hit and killed around 13 LSG, in the unit that had my Archmage in it.

High Elf Turn 1:

During my turn, I moved up slightly with my PG, but stayed put with my LSG. My Eagles moved up so that all each of his units of frenzied Chaos Knights could do was to charge the eagles. I also positioned them so that when he overran, he would go into each forests on the flanks, therefor taking dangerous terrain checks. The other two eagles moved up to slow down each of his Chaos Warrior units. During the magic phase, I reduced his Marauders to T2, and cast the Pit on one of his Hellcannons, but it scattered away. During the shooting phase, I took out ~15 T2 Marauders with my LSG.

End of turn 1 looked something like this:

---------------------[D]----------------------------
---------[CK]-[CW1]------[CM]--[CW2]---[CK]----------
----[Forest][E]--[E]----------------[E]---[E][Forest]-----
-------------[PG1]-------------[PG2]----------------
--------------------[LSG1]-[LSG2]--------------------

Chaos Warriors Turn 2:

As suspected, both CK charged my eagles, which I held so they could not redirect. The Chaos Warriors also charged my eagles, so I held there also. The Marauders attempted to charge my PG1 Block, but failed. During the magic phase, my opponent made a Exalted out of one of his Marauders, but that was it I believe. In the shooting phase, 14 of my LSG in my LSG2 block were killed. My LSG in both units were dying rapidly to the Hellcannon shooting. In combat, all eagles were killed but the one fighting his far left unit of Chaos Knights, which was unexpected. Both Chaos Warrior Blocks did not overrun and simply reformed, however because the Chaos Knights that had killed my eagle were frenzied, they were forced to overrun into the forest. They lost two Knights there. I was also then set up for a flank charge against them with my PG2 Block.

High Elf Turn 2:

I flank charged his far right unit of Chaos Knights with my PG2 Block. I then charged his Marauders with my PG1 Block. During the magic phase, I cast Okkam's Mindrazor on my PG2 Block so they could wipe out his Chaos Knights that were in the forest. I then attempted once again to cast Pit of Shades on one of his Hellcannons, and it went off irrisistibly this time. However, it scattered away again. Because after casting Okkam's I had traded places with my Prince in PG1 Block so I could get in range for the Pit on his Hellcannon, the miscast happened there. It did a wound to my Archmage, and killed a single PG. I then traded back to my LSG1 unit. In the shooting phase, I shot at his CW2 unit, and killed a single Warrior. In the combat phase, I killed all of his Knights, and reformed to face his Chaos Warrior block. In the combat against his Marauders, I won by around 5, but he passed his LD check on a 4, because both his BSB and his General were nearby. In the combat that was still going on between my eagle and his Chaos Knights, he finally killed my eagle and over ran through the forest, only losing one Chaos Knight this time.

End of turn 2 looked something like this:

---------------------[D]----------------------------
--------------[CW1]------------[CW2]----------------
----[Forest][PG1]----------[CM]------------[Forest]-----
------------------------[PG2]---------------[CK]-----
--------------------[LSG1]-[LSG2]--------------------

Chaos Warriors Turn 3:

My opponent charged in the CW1 Block into the front of my PG1 Block. He attempted to flank charge my PG2 Block with his other Chaos Warriors Block, but he was out of line of sight. So instead he simple moved up and turned so he could flank my PG2 block next turn. He moved his Disk back a little. His remaining unit of Chaos Knights moved closer to my LSG. During the magic phase, he made another Exalted Hero out of his Marauders. He also cast Pandeamonium, which made all of my doubles a Miscast, and did not let my units use their characters leadership. During the shooting phase, one Hellcannon hit my LSG1 unit, and took out all but the banner and the archmage there. The other Hellcannon hit my LSG2 Block, and took out all but three. The three remaining then fled, but stopped an inch from the board edge. During the combat phase, I beat and ran down his Marauders. I beat his Chaos Warriors by 1 point, but they held.

High Elf Turn 3:

On my turn three, I rallied my LSG that were fleeing. I swiftly reformed my PG2 Block, and moved to face his CW2 Block. In the magic phase, I cast Okkam's Mindrazor again on my PG1 unit, but I forgot that Pandaemonium was still in play. I then took a wound from that. I also cast Pit of Shades on his Disk, but no doubles, so it was dispelled. There was nothing that happened in the shooting phase, as the single LSG that could shoot missed. During the combat phase, I broke his Chaos Warriors, and ran them down with my PG1 Block.

End of turn 3 looked something like this:

--------------------[D]-----------------------------
--------------[PG1]-----[PG2]------------------------
----[Forest]-------------------------------[Forest]----
-----------------------------[CW2]-----------------
--------------------------------------[CK]----------
--------------------[LSG1]--------------------------
---------------------------[LSG2]-------------------

Chaos Warriors Turn 4:

On my opponents 4th turn, he attempted to charge my PG2 Block with his Chaos Warriors, but he failed and moved up a couple inches. He moved his Chaos Knights so they could charge one of my LSG units next turn. His Disk flew over to the right. During the magic phase, he cast irresistibly Gateway on my PG1 unit. 7 hits, that's okay. He then rolled his strength - the 6 landed first. My heart skipped a beat as the second die rolled over a 5 and onto a 4. For those of you who don't know, with Gateway, if the strength is 11 or 12, the unit it is targeting automatically dies. Thankfully, it was only S10. I then went on to pass all 6 ward saves. The result of the miscast was a 4, and his Disk was then sucked back where it came from and removed from play. During the shooting phase, one Hellcannon missed, targeting my Archmage. The other then went on to misfire, and destroy itself. Not a very good turn for my opponent.

High Elf Turn 4:

On my 4th turn, I charged his CW2 Block with my PG2 Block. My other PG Block moved closed to that combat. My Archmage with his LSG companion moved up behind the PG1 block, so not to be charged by his Chaos Knights. The other LSG block moved out of line of sight of his Chaos Knights. During the Magic phase, I cast Okkam's Mindrazor on my PG unit that was in combat with his Chaos Warriors. In the combat phase, I won against his Chaos Warriors, but he held.

End of turn 4 looked something like this:

----------------------------------[HC]--------------
----[Forest]----------------[PG2][CW2]------[Forest]---
------------------[LSG1]-[PG1]----------------------
----------------------------------[CK]--------------
----------------------------------[LSG2]------------

Chaos Warrior Turn 5:

On my opponents 5th turn, he charged my PG1 Block with his Chaos Knights. During the shooting phase, the hellcannon missed my Archmage again. Then, in combat, due to fluffing a lot of re-rollable to-hits and 2+ S9 wounds, and he making 3/4 5+ ward saves, he won combat by 3 and I fled, rolling two consecutive 8s. He chased me down. In the combat with his Chaos Knights, I also lost combat, but I held this time.

High Elf Turn 5:

During my turn, I cast Okkam's Mindrazor on my PG unit. However, I miscast doing so, and the small template killed both my Archmage and his LSG companion. Then, during combat, I killed all of his Chaos Knights with the help of Okkam's Midrazor, and overran into his Chaos Warrior unit.

End of turn 5 looked something like this:

----------------------------------[HC]--------------
----[Forest]-----------------[PG1][CW]----[Forest]-----
----------------------------------[LSG2]------------

Chaos Warrior Turn 6:

During the shooting phase, he shot at my LSG with his Hellcannon, but only killed one. Then, in combat, I broke and ran down his Chaos Warriors with my still Okkam's boosted PG. The game ended with me having my BSB, a PG unit, and two LSG models on the field, with my opponent only having his Hellcannon. I claimed the victory.

Overview:

Okkam's Mindrazor was really the biggest game changer here, letting me kill his Chaos Knights with ease. Also, the fact that it is not a Remains in Play spell allows it to stay in play for another round, even if the Archmage dies. The game really came down to the last couple of turns, if I hadn't gotten Okkam's off to kill the Chaos Knights, things may have gone a lot differently.

Commentary is welcome and appreciated!
Bolt Thrower

#30 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I have a question about High Elf turn 2. You mention that the Chaos Knights finally beat your eagle in combat and then overran. I'm confused because I've been under the impression that a unit can only overrun on the turn they charge, so since they charged on his turn and got stuck in, shouldn't they have been able to stay put after defeating the eagle on your turn? Just curious--it's completely possible that I've been playing it wrong all along.

Keep the reports coming! Always a good way to pick up tips against many different enemies.