2000 pts HE vs VC/Zombie army

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

RGudmandsen

2000 pts HE vs VC/Zombie army

#1 Post by RGudmandsen »

The Vampire army vil containe 20 Grave Guard + lord, 30 skeletons + Wight Battle Standard Bearer, 1 Corpse Cart + Necromancer,
10 Dire Wolves, and 3 big units of zombies

My idee is to attack the Grave Guard + lord whit the sword masters

Archmage Lvl 4: Silver wand, Power stone (high magic) 290

Mage level 2: Seerstaff (Lore of fire) 175

Mage level 2: (high magic) 135

BSB: Heavy armour, shield, Battle banner (go with Sword masters) 191

20 Spearmen full command 205

19 Sword masters full command, banner of sorcery 365

1 Bolt thrower 100

11 Archers 121

Total 1992
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: 2000 pts HE vs VC/Zombie army

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Your characters look OK on the whole except I think you have too many. I'd drop at least one Mage and possibly two. I also think you need at least one dispel scroll and the Ring of Fury wouldn't go amiss. The BSB is a bit vulnerable on foot, I'd either mount him for the 2+ save or give him different magic items.

The problem with the Spear units is that they don't have the combat power to beat his good stuff, which means they will autobreak as soon as they are outnumbered. I would put Lion Standard on one and drop at least one more. You might get away with the BSB in a second unit but I'd be tempted to drop that too.

The Swordmasters will go well here but they need some Fear protection IMHO. Champion with Gem of Courage is the minimum I think. Ideally Standard of Balance and Talisman of Loec on the champion to win combat.

One bolt shooter is not enough. At least two I suggest and an eagle or two also, which will let you lead his combat blocks around by the nose.
dabber
Tactician

#3 Post by dabber »

RGudmandsen wrote:My idee is to attack the Grave Guard + lord whit the sword masters
That probably won't work. The toughness and armour of the GG is enough to reduce your damage, and the Vampire Lord is worth 5+ kills a round, even swinging second. It will definitely fail if he has a vampire hero with the helm of commandment, meaning you hit on 4s instead of 3s.
RGudmandsen wrote:Archmage Lvl 4: Silver wand, Power stone (high magic) 290
Mage level 2: Seerstaff (Lore of fire) 175
Mage level 2: (high magic) 135
Need Ring of Fury and a couple scrolls. With just 2000 pts, I would drop the third Mage. Or the BSB
RGudmandsen wrote:BSB: Heavy armour, shield, Battle banner (go with Sword masters) 191
He won't survive against a Vampire Lord. The Battle Banner always always always goes on a horse for the extra armour save, but that still won't be enough to keep him alive against a Vampire Lord.
RGudmandsen wrote:20 Spearmen full command 205
While spears are pretty decent against zombies, it will still take them too long to kill a zombie block. 3 spear blocks never makes sense.
RGudmandsen wrote:19 Sword masters full command, banner of sorcery 365
In general, they need fear protection. Right now, you lose one round (and you will lose a round), and you are gone. I would also give the champion Talisman of Loec.
RGudmandsen wrote:1 Bolt thrower 100
Where are the other rares?
RGudmandsen wrote:11 Archers 121
Archers are taken as 110 pt units to meet min core. Only. Therefore this unit should not exist. At minimum, they should be replaced by an RBT which is cheaper and provides more effective shooting.
RGudmandsen

#4 Post by RGudmandsen »

how would you make the armylist?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Maybe:

Archmage, Wand, Stone, Ring of Fury
Mage, Seerstaff, Scroll
BSB, Battle Banner, 2+Save kit.

20 Spears, FC, Lion Std.
10 Archers

14 Swordmasters, FC, Standard of Balance, Talisman of Loec

2 RBT
2 Eagles

plus whatever else you fancy and can afford. Dragon Princes are a good bet, maybe to carry the Banner of Sorcery.
RGudmandsen

#6 Post by RGudmandsen »

20 Spears, FC, Lion Std.
Spearmen cant have magic banner or am i wrong?
dabber
Tactician

#7 Post by dabber »

Basically what spellarcher said. I'd take a third Mage with Ring of Corin instead of the BSB, and I'd keep Seer on the Archmage, but basically that. One core unit can take a banner up to 25 points.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

RGudmandsen wrote:Spearmen cant have magic banner or am i wrong?
If you've got a couple of blocks, having them immune to Fear against army-wide Fear causers like VC's is eminently desirable.