2250 magic heavy casual/tournament list

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Eurico

2250 magic heavy casual/tournament list

#1 Post by Eurico »

After playing arround with the dragon list I'm up for something more flavourful:

Archmage: Lv4, Silver Wand, Ring of Fire, DScroll, DScroll: 350pts Lore of Metal
Mage: Lv2, SeerS, DScroll: 185pts High Magic
Noble: BSB, GW, Reaver Bow, ToLoec, Darmour, Shield: 176pts

19 spears: Muso, Champio, War banner: 216pts
10 Archers: 110pts

5 DPrinces: 150pts
1 Tiranoc: 85pts
1 Tiranoc: 85pts
14 Swordmasters: Champion, Banner of Sorcery: 284pts
14 White Lions: Champion, Lion Banner: 259pts

3x RBT: 300pts
1X Great Eagle: 50pts

8+D3 Power Dice, 5 Dispell Dice, 3 Scrolls

2250pts

I´ve tried a similar list before with archers instead of the spears and PGs instead of the SM.

I found it lacking a bit in the CC department as both the PG and spears need a Noble with them to have some CC power. As I wanted to add some spears it was natural that the PG would have to come out.

As for the Swordmasters I´m confident that I have enough Firepower/ Magic Defense that they won´t end up shot to pieces.

Opinions?
Foxbat

Re: 2250 magic heavy casual/tournament list

#2 Post by Foxbat »

Looks like a capable list.

Personally, I would make the following tweaks:
- Move the Banner of Sorcery to the WL from the SM;
- Give the Standard of Balance to the SM; and
- Drop one DS from the Archmage.

You may find that a 2xRBT + 2xGE set-up may work better for this list as the Reaver Bow can stand in for the dropped RBT.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Nice list, a lot like Seredain's.

If you're not implementing Foxbat's changes, I'd definitely put Gem of Courage on the Swordmasters.
pk-ng

#4 Post by pk-ng »

Suggest swaping out a DS on the Seermage for a PS to cast those level 5 / 6 spells more easily
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Eurico

#5 Post by Eurico »

Thank's for the feedback.
Foxbat wrote:Personally, I would make the following tweaks:
- Move the Banner of Sorcery to the WL from the SM;
- Give the Standard of Balance to the SM; and
I seem to be missing the point here. Though I can see why the Standart of balance would improve my SM the WL only have Ld8 and though they are stubborn they do suffer from the fear+ outnumber autobreak problem.

Please elaborate.
ninjaska

#6 Post by ninjaska »

Oi,
Nice list. May I suggest you to make some standards swapping?
Swordmasters with Standard of Balance. All shooting go on them, so they could be panicked.
White Lions, stay with Lions Standard, as you said it's protection against fear-outnumber.
Spears... In my opinion they are close to useless. I would drop them and take or another unit of Archers or small unit of Seaguard.
Add another knight to Dragon Princes and by them Standard of Sorcery.
What is the point for ToL on your BSB?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

ninjaska wrote:Spears... In my opinion they are close to useless. I would drop them and take or another unit of Archers or small unit of Seaguard.
Spears are better as a bunker than the alternatives. If you put the BSB in Lions for example it makes those much more vulnerable. Spears can fight OK so long as you lead with the elites IMHO.
ninjaska wrote:What is the point for ToL on your BSB?
To keep him alive.
WarpPhoenix

#8 Post by WarpPhoenix »

Here's a few of my own suggestions that agree with some peoples and disagree with others.

First off I would say dont count on your lore before the game begins, chosing a lore based on your enemy is one of the strengths of HEs, so keep it that way! Your mage setups are fine, 2 scrolls can get you through, but 3 scrolls helps you sleep at night. If you constantly find you dont need to use the third scroll then simply change one of the scrolls to a powerstone.

Something I notice is the lack of armour save on your noble, just put the guy on a horse. He doesnt need to go with the Dragon Princes and he can still run around with units of infantry but it just gives him a 2+ armour save which I think is worth it. I know he wont be hitting as hard because he wont have strength 6 but willingly giving up half of your points isnt something I enjoy either. I would suggest a simple enchanted shield to fill the slot and give him a 1+ armour save, this way he can (if needed) charge out of his unit when a flying unit attempts to stop whatever unit is in. It also means he can go with the DPs if needed.

I would also suggest giving the DPs a standard and then giving that guy the standard of sorcery, the dragon princes should act as a flanking force and only commit when you know they're going to break whatever they charge, which they can do to a lot of things with a standard. I consider the sorc banner a lot safer here than on swordmasters or white lions.

Keep the lions as they are, maybe give them a musician just to break draws and to rally if they chose to flee (which they can, thanks to the lion standard). However i WOULD suggest splitting the swordmasters into two seperate units of 7, and dropping all command options, because I believe that two units of 7 can do way more than one unit of 14, swordmasters do not rely on numbers to win fights. These changes altogether will probably take you over points, in which case I would probably change the spears into archers, or just trim them until you fit into your points value.
Hey, does this cloth smell like chloroform?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

WarpPhoenix wrote:Something I notice is the lack of armour save on your noble, just put the guy on a horse. He doesnt need to go with the Dragon Princes and he can still run around with units of infantry but it just gives him a 2+ armour save which I think is worth it. I know he wont be hitting as hard because he wont have strength 6 but willingly giving up half of your points isnt something I enjoy either. I would suggest a simple enchanted shield to fill the slot and give him a 1+ armour save, this way he can (if needed) charge out of his unit when a flying unit attempts to stop whatever unit is in. It also means he can go with the DPs if needed.
Fair point but it costs you the Bow.

Ok I should read better next time, assumed you were suggesting the tank build! :)

As it's not the tank build I think the GW+Loec killing power (especially without Lion Std on the unit to combat autobreaking) is worth the 1+ armour save. A question of taste maybe.