Using the Dragon Mage to dethrone the Ogre Kingdom!

This forum is for 7th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Collinisimo

Using the Dragon Mage to dethrone the Ogre Kingdom!

#1 Post by Collinisimo »

So as some of you already know, I just got a Dragon, and am looking forward to testing the Dragon Mage out. I am going to be playing my Ogre playing friend next week at 1100 points, and am looking forward to using my Dragon Mage. Here is a list that I have schemed up and am looking for suggestions on:

Heros

Dragon Mage - 435 pts
- Level 2
- Silver Wand
- Ring of Fury

Alright, after reading Arhain's article Caledorian Fire: Using the Dragon Mage, I have lots of ideas on how to use this sucker. I really recommend reading this article if you are planning on using a Dragon Mage, because I think it really helps. The plan for this certain build is that I think I will have enough power dice to zap out all of my opponents dispel dice, so I can use the Ring of Fury with lots of success.

Core

13 Spears - 122 pts
- Musician

Main combat unit.

Special

10 White Lions - 182 points
- Standard Bearer
-- Lion Standard

Another main combat unit.

8 Sword Masters - 120 pts

This unit should pack a pretty good punch to those Ogres.

Rare

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Missile support.

Total - 1099 points

Here are all of the models I have available (Please don't bypass this - otherwise some of your suggestions will be pointless):

Heros

1 Dragon with Mage or Prince (Magnetized)
1 Mounted Mage
1 Mage
1 Mounted Noble
1 Noble

Core

16 Spearmen/Lothern Sea Guard (Magnetized)
16 Archers

Special

1 Tiranoc/Lion Chariot (Magnetized)
10 White Lions
10 Sword Masters

Rare

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers

Any thoughts/tips on playing Ogres?

Some things I know my opponent is going to bring are a Butcher, Ironguts, and Bulls, but I'm not sure on the rest.
Last edited by Collinisimo on Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=33028]Great Eagle Tips and Tricks[/url]
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."
Jerrion

#2 Post by Jerrion »

Be carefull for the ogre's impact hits, ogres move faster then your infantry and their impact hits come before asf.

Also look out for leadbelchers (if he brings some), their move and shoot could really hurt your dragon mage
Collinisimo

#3 Post by Collinisimo »

Ah, yes, I forgot to mention that he is bringing a unit of 2 Leadbelchers. Does anyone know the range on them? If it's relatively low, I should be able to outmaneuver him with my dragon...
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=33028]Great Eagle Tips and Tricks[/url]
theviking

#4 Post by theviking »

Leadbelchers can march 12" and then shoot a further 12", an artillery dice per model of ST4 hitting on 4+, so be wary. Of course, they may also just blow themselves up...
Collinisimo

#5 Post by Collinisimo »

Thanks for all of the advise so far - is there any advise on the list, what I can do to spiff it up a little bit?
Rumor

#6 Post by Rumor »

Actually Leadbelchers cant march 12 and shoot, thats against the core rules! they can move 6 and shoot though and get no penalties for moving/long range and multi shots, so when firing at a DM will hit on a 3+ (large target) and you can expect anywhere between 0-20 shots coming his way at Str 4 AP, not a good chance of survival if he manages to avoid a missfire.

Also dont rely on RBT to win for ya, think of the maths here -
3+ to hit = 4 hits
4+ to wound = 2 wounds

So on average each volley will kill less than one ogre, will be even less if he gets his buff spells off (dont underestimate ogre magic either!), single bolt will only be useful on flank shots as if he plays his Ogres the most effective way then he probally wont have a 2nd rank so again limited to 1 kill per shot.
dabber
Tactician

#7 Post by dabber »

Put the Swordmasters together in one unit. Not ranked either. A min size ogre unit allows 8 Swordmasters in base contact. 16 attacks should slaughter him. 5 is chancier since it may not drop the second ogre.
Collinisimo

#8 Post by Collinisimo »

I edited the list above a little. Any more thoughts? Thanks for all of the suggestions so far!
Rumor

#9 Post by Rumor »

Looks good, if uses gnoblars and they get out of the generals leadership bubble then fly that dragon up and say hello! but if he gets lucky and they pass their terror test then do all possible to make sure that unit runs as if its a unit of 20 then they will all throw their sharp stuff and thats 40x str 2 shots coming at ya dragon which will prolly drop the mage on top.

The White lions should carve up, they will hit on 3+ and wound on 2+ but the problem is you need to do about 9-12 wounds to clear the front rank (assuming 3-4 wide frontage of ogres) to avoid any attacks back. Swordmasters will be at 3+/3+ but with twice as many attacks should also do very well.

Its the ogre characters that will cause yout he most pain, bruisers with the brace of handguns will be shooting at you then have 5x str 5 attacks in h2h and they are not easy to drop with t5 and 4w. If he has the tenderiser then keep you dragon away from it, that will make very short work of most big nasties but also means a bruiser will have no other magic items.

One last thing, try to fit in the Lion std for your WL, so if you lose to a fear causer you aint needing snake eyes to stay and you can keep the stubborn ld value.

As you can tell, I play both HE and the fatties :)
Collinisimo

#10 Post by Collinisimo »

Thanks! That helps a lot. :wink: What are some good ways to take out his Ogre Characters? I think I should make good use of that RBT that I have, but I don't think that's enough - especially if he fields his Butcher in a unit.
Rumor

#11 Post by Rumor »

Well his butcher cant be his general, so if hes taking one he has to run 2 characters which will eat up a bunch of points. If he doesnt have units over 5+ and didnt pay for lookout gnoblars then you have a chance to hit his characters in the units with your RBT and spells so thats an option.

Otherwise the tried and tactic hit in the flanks and try to run the unit down, remember he will have next to no static CR so avoiding attacks back is a big thing as thats how he gets his CR. Pity you dont have any eagles cause 2 eagles could be damm useful to muck up his superior movement and to trick units into exposing their flanks, although Leadbelchers make them red splats on the terrain pretty easy.
Collinisimo

#12 Post by Collinisimo »

Well, if his Butcher can't be his general I have no idea on what his is taking that will be his general...

Are there any more tips on the actual build of the army?
Rumor

#13 Post by Rumor »

Bruiser is his only option other than a Tyrant.

I would drop a couple of spears to get the Lion std on the white lions, other than that looks like it could do the trick. Otherwise this is what I would bring if I was playing 1100 and I knew it would be HE. A nasty trick you can do it use your shooting to try and knock as many units as possible below the 3 models required for the impact hits, if you can do this then your ASF will be that much more effective.

The General goes with the Ironguts with the Rune Maw banner as that gives the unit a 2+ save against magic targeted at it (has to be another unit within 6' to bounce the spell to), the Leadbelchers guard the flanks and the rest advances and trys to take the enemy apart by advancing and trying to engage in turn 2 if possible.

Bruiser (1#, 204 Pts)
General; Great Weapon; Brace of Handguns; Heavy Armour; Luck-Gnoblar (reroll a failed save, one use); 2x Sword-Gnoblar (2x Extra Str2 attack per combat phase)
1 Wyrdstone Necklace (5+ ward save)
1 Fistful of Laurels (reroll failed break test, one use)

Bulls (3#, 117 Pts)
3 Bulls
Extra Hand Weapon

Bulls (3#, 117 Pts)
3 Bulls
Extra Hand Weapon

Ironguts (3#, 184 Pts)
3 Ironguts
Standard Bearer with Rune Maw

Ironguts (3#, 144 Pts)
3 Ironguts

Gnoblar Trappers (9#, 54 Pts)
9 Gnoblar Trappers

Gnoblar Fighters (20#, 40 Pts)
20 Gnoblar Fighters

Leadbelchers (2#, 120 Pts)
2 Leadbelchers
Bellower

Leadbelchers (2#, 120 Pts)
2 Leadbelchers
Bellower

Total Roster Cost: 1100
Collinisimo

#14 Post by Collinisimo »

Rumor wrote:One last thing, try to fit in the Lion std for your WL, so if you lose to a fear causer you aint needing snake eyes to stay and you can keep the stubborn ld value.
Hold up - I thought if I was stubborn then I always used my base leadership. So when would I be needing snake eyes?
Jerrion

#15 Post by Jerrion »

If you're outnumbered by a fear-causing enemy (ogres)
Collinisimo

#16 Post by Collinisimo »

I see. Good to know.

List edited above once more. Thoughts?
dabber
Tactician

#17 Post by dabber »

No point in running 13 spears. Just get 10 archers instead. 20 spears might be worth having, as they've got a chance of dropping one ogre before it attacks, and have the static CR. But 13 don't have the static CR and are even less likely to drop that ogre.