Regional Colour Guide

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Jimmy
Centurion

Regional Colour Guide

#1 Post by Jimmy »

Hey guys,

Thought maybe if we get enough content then the loremasters may consider this being stickied. I did run a search for a similar topic but failed to yield any results.

I for one would love it if the asur community could come together to discuss the colours and how they relate to the several regions in Ulthuan, as I think this would be an excellent resource for newbies and visitors to the site and long term even our update may include our suggestions.

I'm not suggesting a set in concrete list, more like a flexible guide to be taken however you wish.

If people would be so kind as to copy the following list into there post and fill in the blanks or copy over the last members suggestions. Brief descriptions and justification would be appreciated.

Caledor - Red (a fiery colour, arrogance, and also the old school dragon princes were red and green, I just feel that Caledor is meant to be red!)
Tiranoc -
Ellyrion -
Averlon -
Chrace - Purple (I just think it would look good, a really dark purple)
Cothique -
Yvreese -
Saphery -
Eataine -
Shadowlands -

I have left most of them blank as I really have no idea on the colours for them, help me out guys!

Jim

Loremaster Anarion edit: I have no problem with stickying this thread so long as everyone understands this is not a rule but a guide suggestion.
Last edited by Jimmy on Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Yak

#2 Post by Yak »

Well averlorn is heavily forested, so greens. Charce is woods and mountains so greens and browns.
Saphery I always think of as a royal blue.
Purple is more of a naggrythe (which you left out) colour in my mind - similar to dark elves.
I never wanted to be an Asrai. I wanted to be...

A Lumberjack!

*Gets scragged by dryads*
Shandiar

#3 Post by Shandiar »

Tiranoc: blue, green gold and white, reflecting the former glory of the province as a seafaring province with lush plains and considered the richest province before the Sundering.
Ellyrion: soft greens and yellow depicting the fields of the province.
Eataine: blue, white and silver, the colours of the Seaguard.

Just my suggestions
High Priest of ASS
Kiyohira

#4 Post by Kiyohira »

I see Nagarythe using dark greys rather than purple - even if it had been their provincial colour before the sundering, it's now so widely used by druchii that one imagines they would avoid it.
[i][size=75]Awake, angels of lunacy
Arise, avatars of khaos
Incinerate yourselves
In the blaze of Babylon
Heirophants of the hurricane
We invoke the eidolon
Unleash the storm[/i][/size]
NZBFBM

#5 Post by NZBFBM »

Cothique is usually blue. But you could do any colours of the sea (slight green tint maybe).

Some of the saliors actually dye their hair blue in Cothique
[url=http://www.asuryan.orcon.net.nz][img]http://img131.echo.cx/img131/1930/nzbfbmforumsig5td.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.asur.org.uk/ulthuan/groupcp.php?g=2948&sid=d5ce9d8b16b5c8140fec6bf4a822a7ee][img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/nzbfbm/northenrbannercothique.jpg[/img][/url]
shootyarmies

#6 Post by shootyarmies »

saphery is blue, no questions. Enchanted, maybe with a little lightning would be best, but they stopped making it, so ice would work
Prince Vornwe

#7 Post by Prince Vornwe »

Going with what NZBFRM said I would say that Cothiques colour would be sea green, as opposed to blue.

Personaly I see the colours as follows:

Averlorn: Dark Green (a forest colour)
Caledor: Red (Firey colour)
Chrace: White (White Lions)
Cothique: Sea Green (a sea colour)
Eataine: Imperial Purple (shows wealth and power)
Ellyrion: Grey (Like grey horses)
Saphery: Dark Blue (colour of Magic)
Shadowlands: Black (Dark Reputation)
Tiranoc: Light Blue
Yvresse: Yellow

What do you think?
The Gods favour armies with the most disciplined infantry,fastest cavalry, surest archers and greatest generals- Annuriel of Cothique

[url=http://www.asur.org.uk/ulthuan/groupcp.php?g=2948&sid=d5ce9d8b16b5c8140fec6bf4a822a7ee][img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/nzbfbm/northenrbannercothique.jpg[/img][/url]

Vornwe- Standing firm in all matters Cothiquan
Kiyohira

#8 Post by Kiyohira »

Caledor also makes extensive use of green, from what I remember, does it not?
[i][size=75]Awake, angels of lunacy
Arise, avatars of khaos
Incinerate yourselves
In the blaze of Babylon
Heirophants of the hurricane
We invoke the eidolon
Unleash the storm[/i][/size]
Jimmy
Centurion

#9 Post by Jimmy »

well I think this thread has been worthwhile so far, I like your list Prince Vornwe, seems to have everything justified.

I think caledor would use greens aswell but I think there dominant colour would certainly be a red of some sort.

Jim
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#10 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

Prince Vornwe wrote: Yvresse: Yellow

What do you think?
:shock:
Acorn-Anvil

#11 Post by Acorn-Anvil »

I always saw caledor as dark, so i would say red, green and black.

AA
http://www.highelves.net | Your complete High Elves resource for the Warhammer Fantasy Battles tabletop game!
Meif

#12 Post by Meif »

My Dragon Princes had armour like lava, fiery orange with red etc.
[quote="EricJ"]I guess Swedes are just a tad more gay than your average European.
And Finns a tad more masculine.[/quote]
Prince Vornwe

#13 Post by Prince Vornwe »

Sorry Bob, didn't mean to offend. I'm not suggsting that Yvressians are cowards :wink:

No the idea was yellow represents wealth, and I saw Yvresse as rich.
The Gods favour armies with the most disciplined infantry,fastest cavalry, surest archers and greatest generals- Annuriel of Cothique

Vornwe- Standing firm in all matters Cothiquan
SV_Harlequin

#14 Post by SV_Harlequin »

Colours fo Caledor according to fluff and what not are Red, Green (Dragon Scales) and Black for things like feather plumes, weapons etc (cant remember why though)
Jayne: "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."
[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/SV_Harlequin/Caledor_bannercopy.jpg[/img]
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#15 Post by Luna Guardian »

Chrace is definitely browns, greys and greens. Maybe some white
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Orlanth

#16 Post by Orlanth »

Why is this thread important enough to warrant a sticky.

As far as GW canon is concerned there is only one army colour scheme: white. All other variants from that change from army to army, even within provinces.
Ulthuan shall never fall!
Alanor

#17 Post by Alanor »

Its a sticky because some people might want to do a region themed army and want to paint the colours of the province, and that without having to post yet another topic or browse through the old posts. And the GW colour scheme just cold and booring.

Personaly I see it as so:
Nagarythe: Dark grey
Avelorn: Forest green
Saphery: Blue and reds
Ellyrion: Golden yellows and a bit of light green
Caledor: Dark red and green
Yvresse: No idea...
Etaine: Seaguard colours me guesses
Cothique: Blue and blue-greens
Charace: Green and brown
Tiranoc: Golden and blueish

For fun:
My army is fluffwise a small city garison (its not even 100 soldiers so how can it be more?) from Avelorn (near the Ellyrian and Nagarythian border). However it is not a regionaly themed army.
Armour: Burnished Gold
Weapons: Mithril Silver
Major Cloth: Dark Angels Green
Minor Cloth: Blood Red
Leather: Scorched Leather
Gems and other details: Any colour i can get my hands on
Your = Possessive form of You. Example: Your car is nice.
You're = Contraction of You and Are. Example: You're a fool Ferretsnarf. =P
And for the record: I hate this typo more than any other.
Armilthuan

#18 Post by Armilthuan »

I use turqoise for my Eataines.

[Ctr-C\Ctrl-V]
Armour: Storm blue overbrushed with Chainmail.
Weapons: Boltgun overbrushed with Chainmail.
Major Cloth: Hawk Turqoise with Ice Blue highlight.
Minor Cloth: Enchanted blue with Ice Blue highlight.
Leather: Bestial Brown.
Gems and other details: Gold to show that they can afford expensive armour, and it looks neat to. :wink: Gems are usually Blue.
[/Ctr-C\Ctrl-V]

Hope to be of your aid...
Cal

#19 Post by Cal »

Well for my caledorians I go:
Plate armour: Green
Mail: Gold
Cloth and shield: Bone
Rims (not touching green): green
Rims (touching green): red
Detailing Metals: Gold
Gems: red
Leather; Deep brown
Wood; Deep brown
Weapons; Bright Silver
The whole point is that I can change this army to different province if need be as it doesn't yell caledor (while still retaining a lot of caledorian features) which gives me as a tournament player a lot more scope if I want to change to a fluffier army for a bit of fun.
[quote="NK"]Bonjour et bienvenue lá Druchii.net Hastings!(Excuse the Christie pun, I'm an avid reader of Poirot!)! Cannot help you here mon ami, but again bienvenue! Now, I must say 'Abiento!'. I have threads to browse. [/quote]

[quote="Elieth"]Like I said this year my GF is a cheep hooker.[/quote]
tethlis the slayer

#20 Post by tethlis the slayer »

The best 'official' info on colour schemes and decoration was from the 5th ed. book, and although there were fairly detailed official descriptions for some provinces, others are totally undefined. Anyway, in the interests of completeness I had a good look through the book. The following is pretty much all there is as far as I can tell, including info on colours, styles, decoration and the primary gods to help give as much 'theming' info as possible, and includes my own thoughts on what information there is:

All Provinces: Wear white robes, symbolising their determination to fight to the death if necessary.

Caledor: Reds and greens for plumes and crests, with some plumes and decorations in black. Armour sometimes tinted red or green. Dragon and flame themed motifs and decoration. Particularly associated with Vaul (due to the location of his shrine), so armour and weapons are likely to be finely crafted and ornate.

Avelorn: Green plumes and details and embroidered decoration with plant and floral designs. Armour occasionally styled in floral or leaf shapes. Primary god is Isha, although Kurnous is particularly popular among the menfolk. As a sheltered and largely indolent province (at least once you get away from the slopes of the Anullii) with many members of the nobility gathered at the court of the Everqueen, I can see the Avelornians being quite ornate and using rich naturalistic colours.

Nagarythe: Dark tinted armour, blues and sombre greys for tunics and plumes. Particularly associated with Loec. Nomadic people, so armour and weapons will be simple, practical, and hardwearing.

Cothique: Armour often tinted green or blue. Many wear cloaks made from the hides of sea monsters, or armour styled like sea serpent heads. So, sea themed colours basically. Sea monsters and ocean motifs on shields and banners.

Eataine: Always excellently equipped with the finest armour and weapons. Wear splendid robes in rich colours and ornate armour extensively decorated with gems and precious metals. I imagine purples, rich reds and blues would be popular colours judging from this. Also, as Lothern is the location of the Shrine of Asuryan, shields and banners will probably reflect this: use of pyramid and phoenix motifs I imagine.

Ellyrion: Cavalry wear elegant flowing plumed helmets. Primary god is Kurnous. No black horses... they have a particularly bad reputation in Ellyrion due to those riding them being a frequent target for Druchii attacks. No colour info as far as I can tell, but I'm inclined to think muted greens and the like: what with the worship of Kurnous and their hardy lifestyle as herders, I can't see them going for particularly ostentatious colours and decoration.

Chrace: Many warriors wear animal furs and pelts as cloaks or collars. Chracians are renowned hunters, so worship of Kurnous is likely to be popular. I would see colours as being similar to neighbouring Avelorn, but more muted, and decoration is likely to be less ornate. Kurnous rather than floral themes are more likely... the Chracians, as a principal target of Druchii attacks, are far more down to earth than those of Avelorn.

Yvresse, Tiranoc and Saphery remain undefined as far as colours and decoration go. So, my assumptions would be:

Tiranoc: Probably similar to Eataine as it once held the same position as the principal trading and seafaring (and therefore wealthiest) province. The history certainly mentions all manner of gems and precious metals being brought back to decorate the wargear of the elves of Tiranoc during its prime. Colours may be slightly more muted now though to represent their sorrow over what they have lost.

Yvresse: Renowned both as the land of mists and for its resoloute, disciplined infantry. To me this implies muted colours, greys and dull blues perhaps. I would imagine decoration would be far less ostentatious than neighbouring Eataine.

Saphery: I definitely agree with the consensus here that rich blues and astrological themed decoration is appropriate for Saphery. Going by the 5th ed. book the horned moon (i.e. a half moon on its side) seems to be a popular motif. Strongly associated with the god Hoeth, and as the White Tower is located in the province it is likely to be a popular motif on shields and standards. More than most provinces though, I can see Saphery as very much anything goes: the mage princes of the land are renowned for being individualistic and eccentric, and their retinues equipment, colours and decoration are likely to reflect this.
Asterion

#21 Post by Asterion »

5th ed also said that the dragon princes of Caledor were the only asur to use black - something which is worth exploiting. Black for HE is very striking, and in combining it with white and other colours doesn't necessarily look evil. I have used a lot of black for my various Caledor-type troops.
Cal

#22 Post by Cal »

I've recently been playing with dark purple on my caledorians instead of red, this goes with the black theme but I hate painting black and green and purple work well togethor.
[quote="NK"]Bonjour et bienvenue lá Druchii.net Hastings!(Excuse the Christie pun, I'm an avid reader of Poirot!)! Cannot help you here mon ami, but again bienvenue! Now, I must say 'Abiento!'. I have threads to browse. [/quote]

[quote="Elieth"]Like I said this year my GF is a cheep hooker.[/quote]
gaurdian_of_the_citadel

#23 Post by gaurdian_of_the_citadel »

A dark royal red(blood red mixed with a little bit of red gore) and either shinig gold/brazen brass or mithril silver for the armour. White highlites on the edge of the armour look amazing for saphery. Blue gems aso look good in a saphery theme.
Eltharon the Fair

#24 Post by Eltharon the Fair »

My Chracians, hailing from Tor Achare, are dark green and gold trim (The gold to represent them coming from the capitol of Chrace)
Otherwise, browns and muted colors, plus the fur of white lions/champions. (I give my spearelf champions cloaks)
[img]http://www.woodelves.org/stag.jpg[/img]

No, my name is not misspelled. It isn't Eltharion. Really.
asur-guard

#25 Post by asur-guard »

Mine elves have ice blue cloaks, echanted blue trim, chainmail armour, bleached bone weapons (spearshaft, not the blade) and vermin brown shoes.

anybody knowing which province that would be?
Vil-hatarn

#26 Post by Vil-hatarn »

That's fairly typical elves in general. I'd say most likely to be one of the eastern coastal nations--Cothique or Yvresse most likely, maybe Eataine.
Warhammer: High Elves
Warlord: Elves
CAV: Adon (=elves)
ekxw

#27 Post by ekxw »

could put someone pics of each, you know at lleasxt we will have acolour scheme reference for painting them.

for example caledor red an you put a pic of a elf painted that way.

i think i could include that in my asur painting guide, what do you say?

i have pics of red schem blue scheme an green scheme, also i have seen purple scheme
shadow skink

#28 Post by shadow skink »

Prince Vornwe wrote:Going with what NZBFRM said I would say that Cothiques colour would be sea green, as opposed to blue.

Personaly I see the colours as follows:

Averlorn: Dark Green (a forest colour)
Caledor: Red (Firey colour)
Chrace: White (White Lions)
Cothique: Sea Green (a sea colour)
Eataine: Imperial Purple (shows wealth and power)
Ellyrion: Grey (Like grey horses)
Saphery: Dark Blue (colour of Magic)
Shadowlands: Black (Dark Reputation)
Tiranoc: Light Blue
Yvresse: Yellow

What do you think?
I honestly think that this suits all of the "legions". They are all what i imagine in my mind. Good job, we think the same :? :lol:
United we stand

but

Divided we fall
Rat_Burner

#29 Post by Rat_Burner »

Hi, I'm doing my elves in white robes with orange belts, sleeves, pant legs and arrow flights. The bows, spears, bags, straps, boots and quivers in dark browns. Making armour dense looking Mithril. And nearly all trims are gold. Rubies for gems.
I want my force to originally have descended from Caledor yet they voyaged to another land with clime much like Australia's interior. Not sure where as don't know enough history of the world.
In your opinion, is this a valid background and where could they have gone bearing in mind enough elves went to repopulate a decent size realm. They were originally to head back to Ulthuan but they had everything and everyone they needed. They now flourish yet have never engaged in war since the time of leaving the isle, until now.
-Goblin your food is bad for your Elf.
philleehellphia

#30 Post by philleehellphia »

Isn't Caledor associated with Dragons? That means their colors should be associated with fire, eh? Where would the Green come from?