1300 Pt vs Dwarf Army

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
SeanG

1300 Pt vs Dwarf Army

#1 Post by SeanG »

Hi there all! I'm just getting back into WHFB and I've been strictly playing against a friend who has a dwarf army. We are playing 1300 point lists, but here's the kicker. We aren't playing with mages. We still haven't mastered the magic part of the game, so we're just looking to do mostly strategy with shooting and close combat. Anyways, here's my list. Tell me what you think!

10 Archers w/full command (Light Armor) - 145 pts

10 Swordmasters w/full command - 180 pts

10 Phoenix Guard w/full command - 180 pts

8 Silver Helms w/ full command (heavy armor, shield and lance) - 224 pts

1 White Lion Chariot - 140 pts

2 Bolt Throwers - 200 pts

1 Noble on a horse (Heavy armor, halberd, shield and sword of striking) - 127 pts

1 Noble on foot (Heavy armor, halberd, shield and biting blade) - 105 pts
Live_waaaaagh

Re: 1300 Pt vs Dwarf Army

#2 Post by Live_waaaaagh »

Hey! Welcome back to WFB!

So other Phoenix Kings here will have a much better understanding of the army, as I just started playing with/against High Elves recently.

Having said that, see comments below in red.

10 Archers w/full command (Light Armor) - 145 pts
STR 3 bows against Dwarfs and their armor are not going to do too much.

10 Swordmasters w/full command - 180 pts
I like this, but you have 10 Swordmasters and 10 Phoenix guards. I'd consider joining these two to field 20 Phoenix Guard or 20 Swordmasters.

10 Phoenix Guard w/full command - 180 pts
See above

8 Silver Helms w/ full command (heavy armor, shield and lance) - 224 pts
Like this a lot. Mobility and good armor.

1 White Lion Chariot - 140 pts
Like this, in particular with impact hits.

2 Bolt Throwers - 200 pts
Like this too to combat usual Dwarf shooting superiority.

1 Noble on a horse (Heavy armor, halberd, shield and sword of striking) - 127 pts
Well, you can't have a halberd & showrd of striking. One or the other.

1 Noble on foot (Heavy armor, halberd, shield and biting blade) - 105 pts
Same as above. Would recommend making this guy a BSB, just in case.

i'd consider switching archers for Reavers to threaten war machines and redirect. Making one big block of Phoenix Guard insetad of small SM and PG units. And take a 2nd look at the weapons. You need additional STR & Armour piercing. I can't top of my head recall what striking and biting blade do.
SeanG

#3 Post by SeanG »

Thank you! I can definitely edit the archers and bolt throwers out. I may switch the archers for seaguard, since I need at least one core unit. I am somewhat limited because I don't have too many back up models, but I think that I may be able to muster up at least a few different units to try to balance it.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

Welcome SeanG :)

First off, a question. Which edition of Warhammer are you playing? It looks like you have the previous HE army book, and probably 7th edition rules.

If that is the case then your army list is a good starting point. Small units work very well in 7th edition. The main issue then is that, as Live_waaagh mentions, there is little point in bringing both a halbert and a magic weapon (though it is legal to do so). A model will always use the magical weapon and therefore the points on the halbert are wasted. One exception would be if you often run into something that destroys magical weapons (there were a few such things in 7th ed).

Also, indeed try to make one of the Nobles a BSB. It's worth the points.

Another thing is that Dragon princes are a better choice then Silver Helms. Don't bother with command models at this points size. But bring 7 Dragon Princes instead of 8 SH. They are better in pretty much every way that counts. Higher WS, higher LD and 2 attacks. So you get 14 attacks instead of the 9 you have from the SH. And you probably could add in a champ if you really want.

The command remark also goes for the SM and PG I think. That would save you 60 points, which is 4 extra PG you could add to the list for instance.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SeanG

#5 Post by SeanG »

Prince of Spires wrote:Welcome SeanG :)

First off, a question. Which edition of Warhammer are you playing? It looks like you have the previous HE army book, and probably 7th edition rules.

If that is the case then your army list is a good starting point. Small units work very well in 7th edition. The main issue then is that, as Live_waaagh mentions, there is little point in bringing both a halbert and a magic weapon (though it is legal to do so). A model will always use the magical weapon and therefore the points on the halbert are wasted. One exception would be if you often run into something that destroys magical weapons (there were a few such things in 7th ed).

Also, indeed try to make one of the Nobles a BSB. It's worth the points.

Another thing is that Dragon princes are a better choice then Silver Helms. Don't bother with command models at this points size. But bring 7 Dragon Princes instead of 8 SH. They are better in pretty much every way that counts. Higher WS, higher LD and 2 attacks. So you get 14 attacks instead of the 9 you have from the SH. And you probably could add in a champ if you really want.

The command remark also goes for the SM and PG I think. That would save you 60 points, which is 4 extra PG you could add to the list for instance.

Rod
Okay I'll definitely have to look at doing so when I play next. I didn't see this response until too late. also, is there anywhere reliable to get new models online anymore? I only have what I have and I'd like to add to the collection to give myself a few more options.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

SeanG wrote: Okay I'll definitely have to look at doing so when I play next. I didn't see this response until too late. also, is there anywhere reliable to get new models online anymore? I only have what I have and I'd like to add to the collection to give myself a few more options.
Games workshop still sells many of the warhammer models via their webstore. So there is a good chance of finding what you want there. One thing to keep an eye out for is that they are slowly changing the bases from square to round. So it could be that you need to buy some square bases separately. But they are available from a lot of independent stores. Some are plain but you also have a lot of more intricate ones if you want.

If GW doesn't have the models you want anymore then ebay is your best bet. It very much depends on your location, but I find the UK version of ebay the best option for WH models. But if you're not in europe then shipping can get expensive. On ebay it depends on what you want and how you want it how hard it is to find something. But if you don't mind removing paint from models, already having models assembled or buying a painted army and using that then you have lots of choice. Especially for common models. Don't expect to find a handmaiden of the everqueen for a reasonable price though. Or if you do, please let me know ;)

You might also have some luck with some independent online shops. They store a limited selection of WH models. But you could find what you need there. I don't have any for you at the moment. I just know they exist. Google is your friend here probably.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

What Rod said.

It may also be worth considering non-Warhammer models. GW's The Hobbit range can be helpful (eg Eagles). Also other manufacturers:

http://unsupported-armies.blogspot.co.u ... elves.html

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39667