An interesting challenge : 400 point list

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
VirtuePHX

An interesting challenge : 400 point list

#1 Post by VirtuePHX »

Hey all. Virtue here with yet another request for help with a list. This time for something on the small side, and I almost say impossible side for high elves.

6 person, single elimination "tournament". My first match up is either against Skaven or Lizardmen. Rules are 8th edition, 50% max on Lords and max to 50% heroes. 25% minimum to core.

Both armies I feel I'm almost an auto lose to.

I think my only hope is for an all or nothing with a silver helm and high magic level 2 mage on steed. Hopefully rolling on the offensive side. Might do lore of Shadow too, but feel the ward save stacked is crucial to the list.

Archers might be good agaisnt the Skaven, but will be crap agaisnt the Lizardmen.

Anyone have any ideas or something clever for a small game? Chariots being lucky with impact hits seems possible. Or maybe a MSU reaver with spear multi charge strategy? I think I'm going to have to do a glass cannon approach to break units on turn of charge as I won't have the bodies for grinding. Been toying with the idea of a white lions unit of 10 in a 3x3 formation with 1 in the back. Using them as a dart unit allows for my 10 attacks back but limits the amount of attacks to me, ugh idk .

Any help would be sweet. Even if it's just theory crafting.

Cheers,
Virtue
Caladaidoomblade

Re: An interesting challenge : 400 point list

#2 Post by Caladaidoomblade »

Seaguard are a blast against skaven. Last I've played was seaguard, 5 SH and a mounted noble. I'd advise against spending point on magic in such a small game, but I'm sure others will disagree on this one. Don't forget the noble can go off on his own to hunt weapon teams or small units.
[quote="Tyrion Reaper in a topic about murder"]I would therefore be very careful of ever annoying Caladaidoomblade as he has thought this out and you might go missing without a trace
[/quote]
[b]Hell is other people
- Sartre[/b]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

I would go for

Archmage with some offensive lore. Maybe fire.
SH core (5 to 7 of them)
WL with what is left over in points.

Or
Archmage
mounted Noble with some minimal kit
SH with all points left over

Magic is very powerful at this points level. With small units a single fireball can win you the game.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#4 Post by RE.Lee »

I second Rod here. Offensive magic is the way to go - definitely grab Khaine's Ring of Fury, but the more spells you have to better your chances are. Skaven have access to cheap wizards and will likely spam Warplightning so beware.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Live_waaaaagh

#5 Post by Live_waaaaagh »

Love small games, because anything can happen. I agree that magic can change the game at this small level. I could see lore of life working nicely as well if you stick the mage with a unit (since there are such few units, earthblood could be key). Maybe with a ruby ring too?