Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:19 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:22 pm
Posts: 2538
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Thats not how compromises work! :lol: I'll watch it anyway, good luck! :wink:

_________________
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Posts: 131
Hi!

I've made a couple more lists for the fun of it and because I found some opponents to play 6th edition with, even if it will be in a couple of months more or less.

First one is a Chrace fluffy list but I think it can work:

ARMY LIST 2000 points HIGH ELVES 6th Edition

Characters: (0-1 Lord and 0-4 Heroes, 4 characters maximum)

- Elven Prince: Lord option
Equipment: shield, lion's fur
Magical Equipment: Armour of Protection (40p) (light armour, 4+ Ward Save), Sword of Might (15p) (+1S).
Honours: Lion Guard (45p) (he and his unit become Stubborn, White Lions become a Special choice, lion's fur),
Pure of Heart 0 points (must include, character and its unit is Inmune to Panic, -100 VP if character dies)
Total cost: 228 points

- Mage: Hero option
Level 2 Wizard
Magical Equipment: Ring of Corin (35p) (bound spell level 4 Vaul's Unmaking), Jewel of Dusk (15p) (+1 PD for himself ony).
Cost: 180 points

- Mage: Hero option
Level 2 Wizard
Magical equipment: Seer (30p), Dispell Scroll (20p).
Cost: 180 points

- Elven Noble: Hero option
Battle Standard Bearer
Equipment: heavy armour
Magical Equipment: Helm of Fortune (+1 AS, re-roll failed AS), Guardian Phoenix (5+ Ward Save).
Total cost: 149 points

Core Units (3+ for 2000 points)

- 19 Spearmen:
Champion, Musician, spear, shield, light armor
Cost: 227 points
(The BSB goes here).

- 10 Archers
longbow
Cost: 120 points

- 6 Silver Helms
Full Command, lance, heavy armor, shield, elven steed, barding
War Banner
Cost: 193 points

- 5 Silver Helms
lance, heavy armor, shield, elven steed, barding
Cost: 115 points

Special Units (0-4)

- 14 White Lions
Full Command, great weapon, lion's fur, light armor
Lion Standard (inmune to Fear and Terror).
Cost: 242 points
(the Prince goes here).

- 5 Ellyrion Reavers
light lance, light armor, elven steed
Cost: 90 points

- 5 Shadow Warriors
Longbow, Light Armor
Cost: 75 points

Rare Units (0-2)

- 1 Repeater Bolt Thrower
Cost: 100 points

- 2 Great Eagles
Cost: 100 points

Total cost: 1999 points

Cost analysis:

- Characters: 737
- Infantry: 469
- Cavalry: 398
- Scouts: 75
- Monsters: 100
- Shooting: 220

Not a very competitive list I guess but it spins around the White Lions with Prince (stubborn with Ld10, inmune to panic, fear and terror, they won't run) holding the centre, the SH+Reavers+Eagle on one flank and the shooting and the other eagle in the other flank (deployment always depend on the enemy but as a general idea).
The first turns you try to clear the chaff of the flank you want to break, and weaken it with shooting, then try to encircle the enemy between SH and WL.
Shadow Warriors and one Eagle try to divert the enemy from coming after my Archers and RBT.
The Mages are not very strong (7PD+1 bound spell, no Saphery Banner) but they are decent and can provide some versatility in terms of more projectiles or some combat buffs or shooting disables.

I guess I could take the Archers out and get one Chariot and bows for the Reavers.

Also the Prince has S5 (no S6 due to no GW) but attacks on Initiative 8 so he can help the WL (who attack last) by killing some enemies so they can't kill the WL.

The list does not intend to be a cut-throat competitive list but to be balanced and somewhat fluffy.

_________________
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Last edited by elendor_f on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Posts: 131
Second list is more of a weighted flank with 3 heavy cavalry units, one fast cavalry and eagles, plus some infantry and shooting to hold the centre long enough.
It has an Archmage as the only magic option, but he costs the same as 2 Level 2 Mages anyway (the army has access to only one Lore though).

ARMY LIST 2000p HIGH ELVES

- Archmage: Lord option
Level 4 Wizard
Magical Equipment: Dispel Scroll (20p), Ring of Corin (35p) (bound spell level 4 Vaul's Unmaking), Jewel of Dusk (15p) (+1 PD for himself ony).
Honours: Seer (30p) (can choose spells)
Cost: 355 points

- Elven Noble: Hero option
Equipment: dragon armour. elven steed, ithilmar barding, great weapon
Magical Equipment: Helm of Fortune (+1 AS, re-roll failed AS), Guardian Phoenix (5+ Ward Save).
Honours: Pure of Heart (-100 PV if character dies, character and its unit are inmune to panic)
Total cost: 147 points

Core Units (3+ for 2000 points)

- 20 Spearelves:
Full Command, spear, shield, light armor
Lion Standard
Cost: 275 points

- 10 Archers
longbow
Cost: 120 points

- 5 Silver Helms
lance, heavy armor, shield, elven steed, barding
Cost: 115 points

- 5 Silver Helms
lance, heavy armor, shield, elven steed, barding
Cost: 115 points

Special Units (0-4)

- 5 Dragon Princes
lance, dragon armor, shield, elven steed, Ithilmar barding
Full Command, War Banner (+1 to combat score)
Amulet of the Purifying Flame (spells casts against the unit suffer -3 to cast attemp)
Cost: 210 points

- 10 Swordmasters of Hoeth
great sword, heavy armor
Champion, Musician
Blessed Tome (25p) (HE units within 6" get +1 Ld).
Cost: 173 points

- 5 Ellyrion Reavers
light lance, light armor, elven steed
Cost: 90 points

- 1 Tiranoc Chariot
Cost: 85p

Rare Units (0-2)

- 2 Repeater Bolt Thrower
Cost: 200 points

- 2 Great Eagles
Cost: 100 points

Total cost: 1985 points

Cost analysis:
- Characters: 502
- Infantry: 448
- Cavalry: 530
- Chariots: 85
- Monsters: 100
- Shooting: 320

The army has only 2 Characters so getting to choose the general is more likely, and the Archmage has LD9 anyway.
The Blessed Tome helps a bit.

The Spearelves act as a bunker for the Archmage in the beginning, when they get close to combat he can move out of the unit.

The idea is to attack one flank heavily with the DP+Noble + cavalry support, and the Spearelves hold the centre supported by the SM and the Chariot.
The rest is supporting (Eagles, Reavers and Shooting).

I left 15p because in the beginning I started to build the list with Book of Hoeth and Banner of Saphery (those 2 items have to go together for the Book to be worth) but I thought that was too cheesy, so I switched the Banner of the DP to War Banner and got some magic protection with the Amulet.
Other Banners I considered are Standard of Balance (helps against stubborn, hating and frenzied units but I think it was a bit a silly mechanic) or the Banner of Arcane Protection (MR(2) and Undead and Daemons suffer Wounds every magic phase).
I guess the Banner of Ellyrion would make the DP do some surprise charges and it is really cheap (15p) so maybe I could afford bows for the Reavers.

As always the topic of the list is to include some infantry, I don't want to play the cavalry+chariots+magic HE 6ed list because I think it is competitive but a bit boring.

Cheers!

_________________
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Last edited by elendor_f on Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:22 pm
Posts: 2538
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Fun lists.

I like the second one more - it has those 3 nice cavalry units that can do multiple charges, but are dispensable as well. Along with the chaff you bring this should give you good control over the battlefield.

Archmage should do ok against a caddy list, though probably only in the second half of the game. Spearmen are cheap enough to act as a bunker, with the archers a screen/bunker alternative.

The second has some nice ideas, but lacks a hammer to benefit from the WL anvil. The 2 Silver Helm units might not be enough.

_________________
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Posts: 131
Thanks!

The WL list I agree that it lacks some punching power on the cavalry, perhaps I dedicated too many points to the infantry (right now the Mages and RBT have to dedicate themselves to focus fire on one unit so the SH can break it).
One way to include more shock power is to exchange the Shadow Warriors for a Chariot and move the BSB from Spearmen to Silver Helms (and include the +1D6 to CR standard for extra mozzarella XD), this would give the cavalry more damage.
The downside is that it would be more difficult to keep the BSB in range of the Lions (but they have LD10 anyway).

I could also give up one Mage, downgrade the other to a Scroll bearer, and include one Noble on steed with the SH, keeping the BSB on the Spearelves.

Creating a solid infantry centre costs so much points with Elves :lol:

_________________
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:57 am 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 12277
Location: Otherworld
My instinct would be to add shooting to the first list. Mounted characters is an idea but would probably want a bigger unit to preserve Look out Sir. Otherwise maybe put the BSB in the Lions to help the Prince out.

_________________
A New Blog (Orcs and Goblins)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70550
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:22 pm
Posts: 2538
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Like I mentioned, infantry is far from the optimal choice in HE 6th - one of the reasons I hardly played them back then. For a casual/narrative battle they could work though - tell us how it goes :wink:

_________________
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Posts: 131
I will try to make a battle report whenever I get to play 6ed (the people I found to play against live in a different city a bit far so it needs some planning) :)

I have been digging for old 6ed HE infantry topics on warhammer.org.uk and the hate was all over the place xD People agreed that in tournaments back then you either brought the magic+SH+RBT or you were handicapping yourself by playing HE.
I came across Rob Lane's cavalry list (I think it was 12/8/8 Silver Helms units plus some magic and shooting).

I mostly played with my friends back then (and everyone was 12-16 years old so we weren't top notch players XD), who had Empire and Dwarves, so I got to cavalry lists simply because my infantry died by hundreds to their catapults/mortars/etc, but I didn't know that infantry lists in general were so bad, and that is why I am trying to make lists to make them work.
The only unit I think is absolutely useless in 6ed is Phoenix Guard, but I think WL and SM can perform specific functions (anvil with General for WL and shock support to Spearmen for SM) succesfully.

I have also been reading the 4th and 5th edition army books for HE and it seems that they went too far with buffs for 5ed, every unit had special rules (except the PG the poor guys were rubbish until 7ed xD) so I think they tried to tone it down for 6ed and went too far.

@SpellArcher For more shooting in the Chrace list I guess I could remove one Mage (180p) and get another RBT and a Tiranoc Chariot or more Archers.

_________________
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:27 am
Posts: 20
elendor_f wrote:
I will try to make a battle report whenever I get to play 6ed (the people I found to play against live in a different city a bit far so it needs some planning) :)

I have been digging for old 6ed HE infantry topics on warhammer.org.uk and the hate was all over the place xD People agreed that in tournaments back then you either brought the magic+SH+RBT or you were handicapping yourself by playing HE.
I came across Rob Lane's cavalry list (I think it was 12/8/8 Silver Helms units plus some magic and shooting).

I mostly played with my friends back then (and everyone was 12-16 years old so we weren't top notch players XD), who had Empire and Dwarves, so I got to cavalry lists simply because my infantry died by hundreds to their catapults/mortars/etc, but I didn't know that infantry lists in general were so bad, and that is why I am trying to make lists to make them work.
The only unit I think is absolutely useless in 6ed is Phoenix Guard, but I think WL and SM can perform specific functions (anvil with General for WL and shock support to Spearmen for SM) succesfully.

I have also been reading the 4th and 5th edition army books for HE and it seems that they went too far with buffs for 5ed, every unit had special rules (except the PG the poor guys were rubbish until 7ed xD) so I think they tried to tone it down for 6ed and went too far.

@SpellArcher For more shooting in the Chrace list I guess I could remove one Mage (180p) and get another RBT and a Tiranoc Chariot or more Archers.


I like the first list purely for being so filthy fluffy. Also a Lion Prince is better to lead spears than White Lions, who are great at flanking. Other than that, I don't have really anything to comment. Who care if one of your Ld8 mages will be the general, your prince got hacked down in the 2nd turn and your army disintegrated? Playing with a friend in a long dead, if lovely, system should be purely about 'fluff' and both armies should try their best to represent that (unless he wants to escalate then you can go all cav later :twisted: ) Just post the report no matter how slaughtered you get and we will enjoy all the same :D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Posts: 131
@Lohendrinus I included Prince with the Lions because of fluff but it makes more sense indeed to guarantee Stubborn to Spears with the Prince and include the BSB with the Lions (with a lucky IoC roll I can get BSB as general and make Lions stubborn too :lol: ), not only because Lions are good at flanking but also because Prince+Lions is a very clear shooting objective for the enemy, while Prince+Spears and BSB+Lions presents two targets so it makes it a bit more difficult to choose whom to focus fire on (I was planning to chose Life Lore for Rain Lord and Howling Wind to protect from shooting if needed).

@Prince of Spires Do you happen to have somewhere the 6ed articles from this post?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35807
It says they are no longer available :(

_________________
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:43 am 
Offline
Auctor Aeternitatum
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 6874
Location: The city of Spires
elendor_f wrote:
@Prince of Spires Do you happen to have somewhere the 6ed articles from this post?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35807
It says they are no longer available

Unfortunately, no. Our library is in maintenance (and has been for a couple of years). And I think currently only an old admin has access to the articles.

_________________
Eirik wrote:
Please try to remember that, no matter how 'official' the source seems, rumours are basically just a dictionary combined with a random number generator

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Posts: 131
Oh, unlucky :(

_________________
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:47 pm 
Offline
Wise Old Dwarf
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:23 pm
Posts: 631
Location: Brighton, UK
Following a PM from elendor_f, I came to follow this up.

The problem with the library is it is a piece of software, and a very old one at that. It doesn't run on a modern server, and I have a fairly complex set up which dates back to 2010 to be able to access my local copy.

I did discover that it has an "export" button though, which I hadn't noticed before. As a result, I have now spent several hours uploading a completely flat version of everything that was in the library. This is almost less helpful, being uneditable, but it does at least preserve the contents for the time being.

This comes with no warrantee or guarantee of functionality at all. It is presented as-is.

http://talismancy.com/Ulthuan/map.html

_________________
Ricold, Not site owner any more, largely absent. PM me if you want me. PM Prince of Spires if you need the head Loremaster.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Posts: 131
Thanks a ton!! =D> :D

_________________
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:27 am
Posts: 20
Hey Elendor, check my video battle report in the BR section.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Posts: 131
Lohendrinus wrote:
Hey Elendor, check my video battle report in the BR section.

I checked it briefly and it looks super fun! I will watch it fully when I find some spare time ^^

Btw I found a tournament report from 6ed ( 2005 WPS GT) where a High Elf combined arms army (featuring 18 Swordmasters =D> ) took 3rd place!
The topic is here: http://warhammer.org.uk/PhP/viewtopic.php?t=11381
I found it enjoyable to read if you want to check some 6ed goodies :D

_________________
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:27 am
Posts: 20
elendor_f wrote:
Lohendrinus wrote:
Hey Elendor, check my video battle report in the BR section.

I checked it briefly and it looks super fun! I will watch it fully when I find some spare time ^^

Btw I found a tournament report from 6ed ( 2005 WPS GT) where a High Elf combined arms army (featuring 18 Swordmasters =D> ) took 3rd place!
The topic is here: http://warhammer.org.uk/PhP/viewtopic.php?t=11381
I found it enjoyable to read if you want to check some 6ed goodies :D


This WPS GT battle report gives me back so much fond memory. Mind you, I only attended this tournament once in 2006 and it was a heavy comped in contrast with the GW GT. Then I brough my High Elf cav list and added 4 Ironguts as mercs :lol: That's probably the most unfluffy list I ever tried competitively. And of course, I was slapped to be at the top of Dirty Dozen list, which means in the fisrt 2 rounds, I had to play only armies within the DD. In the end, it was not a pretty sight since, frankly, the high elves were still pissed weak. I recognize many of the players in the report, one of them was actually my favorite to play again, Guy Palmer (the winner of Cardiff carnage 2006). He is probably 100 year old right now :D

Anyway, I think if you can check thoroughly enough in the Warhammer.co.uk, there are still some of my very wordy Battle reports written during this time. Very naughty though as befitting the time!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Posts: 131
Ironguts? Expel this heretic from Ulthuan! :lol:
Glad that you enjoyed my digging of 6ed stuff!

I will fish for some of your reports, you write in an entertaining way xD
I am really digging too much into old 6ed stuff when I should be painting!

Btw since you attended several tournaments, what is your take between comped and uncomped tournaments?

Edit: Got one report: http://warhammer.org.uk/PhP/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

_________________
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:27 am
Posts: 20
elendor_f wrote:
Ironguts? Expel this heretic from Ulthuan! :lol:
Glad that you enjoyed my digging of 6ed stuff!

I will fish for some of your reports, you write in an entertaining way xD
I am really digging too much into old 6ed stuff when I should be painting!

Btw since you attended several tournaments, what is your take between comped and uncomped tournaments?

Edit: Got one report: http://warhammer.org.uk/PhP/viewtopic.p ... highlight=


Thank you for digging that ancient out. Huh, I'm myself so spoiled of technology now that I'm actually scared of looking at that wall of texts again, even it was once written by me. I bet most 8th/Age of sigmar kids would snore their nose off after the first paragraph. Well, that's progress for ya :cry:

To confess, as a social Darwinist, I absolutely love uncomped tournaments like the GW GT. Survival of the fittest at its best, eh! Also in the comped tourneys, the arbitrariness in terms of power is frankly broken and bizarrely prejudiced. They have no clue concerning the power level of the weakest armies at the time, High Elves, Dark Elves, DoW and saw any fancy tweaking to make the army 'middling level' as cheeseing up. For example, whenever they saw a Dragon, that's a cheese, which was fine. Unless, it is Asarnil the Dragonlord in the DoW army. How on earth that this almost naked Elf lad could be put on the same cheesemeter with a Chaos lord on Dragon? But then whenever Asarnil went, people cried like babies and put his owner to the Filthy list. And those people actually felt so morally smug after that. Sigh... Oh well, GW GT anytime for me, rather no law than a great law that constantly screws you :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Posts: 131
Uhm, Asarnil had no Ward Save and no meatgrinder items as far as I remember, the only cheese you could do is to include a Prince on Dragon plus Asarnil (on HE, not DoW) :roll:
That reminds me that my group of friends back then played Empire and Dwarves (we were 4 and 2 of them played Empire...), so I never got to buy the Imrik 6ed model because I saw no point in including a dragon against those armies, but now I regret it because the miniature is really cool #-o .

I see your point, designing proper comp rules is pretty hard and too arbitrary, but didn't people get bored of the same OP lists after a couple of editions?

_________________
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:27 am
Posts: 20
Asarnil with another Prince on the Dragon was the ultimate trick of the 6th edition and only High Elf players could do it since the former took only 2 Hero choices (instead of a Lord and a Hero choice for all other army). Very few people actually attempted that, and as far as I heard they would literally get physical attacks if they did :lol: . I just used Asarnil model to stand in for all High Elf prince on Dragon (including Imrik) and he looked just glorious. No way I would paint another Dragon since it would take tons of time as well as really little tangible or intangible rewards for fielding two of them (unless you were a sadist and loved getting spat upon!)

Comped or No comped really didn't effect how versatile the armies could be. In uncomped tourneys, Creative people tweaking their armies meaner and meaner with some added nasty surprises all the time, for example there were hundreds of High elf cav list and no one was sure which one was cheesier :P. In the comped system, apart from normal relaxed folks who made the army as they were told (if their army books were weak, then they got creamed all the time), there were lots of clever folks making extremely 'camouflaged' armies, looking smiley and harmless but had tons of fangs. But then as the army books were very unbalanced, it was still harder for weak book owners to make camouflaged lists than strong book guys like Vampire counts or skaven. I left the Uk in the late 2007 so I didn't know whether the comp system progressed to be fairer or not, but during my time, as a weak armies player, I would take the no hold barred tournaments at priority anytime.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Posts: 131
There is a date set for a 6th edition tournament in Barcelona on 1st April and I am already registered!

It is more like '6th edition extended' because we will be using the extended army books that a Spanish blog made to adapt new units form 7th and 8th edition to 6th edition rules (so essentially nerfing everything :lol: ).
I don't own new fancy models like Phoenixes or Lion Chariots (how does Chrace have chariots if they are full of woods anyway) so I will be using one of the lists I posted before, I put it here for reference:

Archmage, level 4, Ring of Corin, Jewel of Dusk, Dispel Scroll, Seer, 355 points
Elven Noble, dragon armour, elven steed with ithilmar barding, great weapon, Helm of Fortune, Guardian Phoenix, 147 points
(with the Dragon Princes)

20 Spearelves, full command, Lion Standard, 275 points
10 Archers, 120 points
5 Silver Helms, lance, heavy armour, shield, barded steed, 115 points
5 Silver Helms, lance, heavy armour, shield, barded steed, 115 points

11 Swordmasters, Bladelord, Blessed Tome, 180 points
5 Dragon Princes, full command, Banner of Arcane Protection, 215 points
5 Ellyrion Reavers, 90 points
1 Tiranoc Chariot, 85 points

2 Bolt Throwers, 200 points
2 Great Eagles, 100 points

Total: 1997
Models in the army: 68
Deployment drops: 11

The tournament is not really cutthroat (I mean we gather to play an old edition so we might as well not bring full blown cheese) but lists will be "hard but fair". I don't think there will be proper gunlines, more than 10 PD or Great Daemons. I know a Lizardmen guy is bringing an Oldblood in Carnosaur though.

I think my magic setup might be better with 2 Dispel Scrolls, Silver Wand, Ring of Fury and Banner of Sorcery instead of 1 Dispel Scroll, Ring of Corin, Seer, Jewel of Dusk and Banner of Protection but I think the Ring of Corin forces 2 dispel dice from the enemy while the Fury one is less reliable, and against enemies with magic power I will choose High Magic anyway for Drain Magic and Fortune is Fickle. Not sure if I will regret not bringing a second Scroll.
For scroll caddies and medium magic I may consider Life, Metal or Heavens lores (I think Life is really good in 6th).

I will definitely try to make pictures and battle reports :D

@Lohendrinus I think the Swedish comp for 8th edition was quite fair (I've just read about it, I haven't really used it), but I see your point that sometimes the comp was all but fair for mid or bottom tier armies.

_________________
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:24 am 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 12277
Location: Otherworld
elendor_f wrote:
There is a date set for a 6th edition tournament in Barcelona on 1st April and I am already registered!

Bravo!

:)

elendor_f wrote:
Banner of Sorcery

I would be tempted to fit this in. You'll have a good magic phase anyway but this would make it better.

elendor_f wrote:
(I think Life is really good in 6th)

Playing Wood Elves at the time, I wasn't a huge fan of this lore at first. But three Lores were revised in White Dwarf towards the end of the edition and this one gained some vicious damage spells. Will these amended Lores be in play?

I also think you might miss the BSB but I appreciate that would nerf your Noble's fighting power.

elendor_f wrote:
I will definitely try to make pictures and battle reports

That would be excellent!

_________________
A New Blog (Orcs and Goblins)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70550
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Posts: 131
Yes the Beasts, Heavens and Life revised lores will be in use in the tournament (besides WD, they can be found in the Warhammer Chronicles 2004 I think). Mostly because all the players I know agree that unlimited range Heavens lore is dumb (the famous Sniper Heavens Wizard, hidden in a corner of the battlefield generating re-rolls and blasting lone characters xD), and the revised Heavens is a lot fairer.

Life got indeed a damage buff for Master of Stone and Master of Wood, but I like the lore because it is also versatile. You can limit the enemy movement with Marsh Lady and Howling Wind, Father of Thorns can target lone characters and Skaven rattling guns (unlike magic projectiles) and you can cripple the enemy shooting with Howling Wind and Rain Lord.
It has a good mix of damage and utility.
Metal Lore is only truly useful against Empire and Dwarves I believe, but always an option.

SpellArcher wrote:
I also think you might miss the BSB but I appreciate that would nerf your Noble's fighting power.

I have thought about taking out the Swordmasters, including an extra 16 Spears small unit (bless 4 models per rank bonus) and taking out the Archers to buy a BSB on foot.
However I am not sure if it will be worth it, because the Archers are half decent at clearing chaff so my RBTs can focus on the big stuff, and the Swordmasters offer some combat power to the centre (if I manage to position my units correctly :roll: ).
The list will still depend on the success of the cavalry anyway, so I brought the Blessed Tome on the Bladelord to help with psychology and breaks (a cheap patch for the lack of BSB).

I could also make the Noble on steed a BSB but with the cavalry he will be far away from the infantry, and the Dragon Princes ideally won't need to take break tests (and also as you mentioned he can't take any weapon if he is a BSB according to 6th edition rules, so no GW or lance).

_________________
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:27 am
Posts: 20
elendor_f wrote:
There is a date set for a 6th edition tournament in Barcelona on 1st April and I am already registered!


Very, very envious. Please post the pictures outside the gaming hall as well [-o<


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:31 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 12277
Location: Otherworld
elendor_f wrote:
Mostly because all the players I know agree that unlimited range Heavens lore is dumb (the famous Sniper Heavens Wizard, hidden in a corner of the battlefield generating re-rolls and blasting lone characters xD), and the revised Heavens is a lot fairer.

Just so.

elendor_f wrote:
Life got indeed a damage buff for Master of Stone and Master of Wood, but I like the lore because it is also versatile. You can limit the enemy movement with Marsh Lady and Howling Wind, Father of Thorns can target lone characters and Skaven rattling guns (unlike magic projectiles) and you can cripple the enemy shooting with Howling Wind and Rain Lord.
It has a good mix of damage and utility.

I found myself mostly using the damage spells because they hurt a lot and with normal terrain my mage was very often in range with them. I'd be interested to hear how you find the Lore at the tournament elendor.

elendor_f wrote:
I could also make the Noble on steed a BSB but with the cavalry he will be far away from the infantry, and the Dragon Princes ideally won't need to take break tests (and also as you mentioned he can't take any weapon if he is a BSB according to 6th edition rules, so no GW or lance).

This is a fair point. In 8th edition Cavalry Prince list for example the key thing is to have the BSB near your most important units, rather than centrally with the Infantry. But here your cavalry are shock troops, unlike the grinders of 8th. You could take a magic sword and some kind of protection on a cavalry BSB but it would clearly be a compromise.

_________________
A New Blog (Orcs and Goblins)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70550
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm
Posts: 131
I will inform about my Life Lore experiences then, I hope I don't come across 3 enemies with strong magic because that would force me to choose High Magic :D

I had forgotten a BSB in 6ed can take magic weapons, I guess I could get the Sword of Might (+1S) for 15p and Helm of Destiny for 25, or the Golden Shield for -1 to hit in combat for 35p, but I really want the Noble to have S6 attacks because my only source of S6 are the RBTs (and I guess I am overvaluing the 5+ Ward Save taking the Guardian Phoenix but I like Ward Saves :lol: ).
High T is not as common in 6ed as later on (Dragons are T6 and I don't remember T7 models, perhaps Great Unclean Ones) but -3 to AS is really nice.

On a different note, my Spearelves are ready for the tournament! Except for their bases, I need to buy some grass.
Image
I am completely average at painting and I could do a better job with ink washes for shadowing but the tournament is motivation to paint at least ^^
Also, I forgot to glue the shields of the champion and standard bearer for the picture #-o

_________________
"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:26 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 12277
Location: Otherworld
elendor_f wrote:
On a different note, my Spearelves are ready for the tournament!

They certainly look up for it!

:)

_________________
A New Blog (Orcs and Goblins)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70550
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:52 am 
Offline
Auctor Aeternitatum
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 6874
Location: The city of Spires
They look good and ready for battle. And, the dice gods favour painted models, so they should be blessed. And we all have to start somewhere. :)

_________________
Eirik wrote:
Please try to remember that, no matter how 'official' the source seems, rumours are basically just a dictionary combined with a random number generator

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: [6th Edition]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:26 am
Posts: 124
Location: Western Europe
Why is the Phoenix Guard so bad in this edition?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group