Fluff

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Rob9

Fluff

#1 Post by Rob9 »

So recently while having the hobby mojo back and waiting for the arrival of my new Vallejo Game Colour paint set I decided to do some reading. I re-read the rule book again just to brush up on things and then as I have a small handful of WoC miniatures to finish off and I will be playing them while still painting my HE/VC I decided to read the army book cover to cover...

I have read multiple editions of the HE, DE WE and VC army books as HE and VC have always been my favourites closely followed by the other elf races. I literally just dabbled in WoC for something different to play and have never read any of their fluff so I thought it could be a good opportunity to jump in and see how it changes my opinion of certain units and miniatures.. So far I am only halfway through the book but past their initial fluff/history section... I must say it was #&($^ boring.. for a race that was so popular, has some great looking miniatures and chaos having a history of always receiving love from GW the fluff was short and bland. Has anyone else found this??? for me it did not even closely compare to the rich history of elves and even the cool stories told about different vampires.

I will soon jump into the OnG book which I am excited about because one day I would love an OnG army and I also plan on reading the empire book. I always found the race of men boring in warhammer but the religious warrior priests/flagellants etc are starting to draw me in would love to add 2500 points of them to the collection as well - no stank.
RE.Lee

Re: Fluff

#2 Post by RE.Lee »

Yeah, the WoC story is pretty boring - barbarians from the north killing everything in sight. The Daemons book is better I think.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Rob9

#3 Post by Rob9 »

Its actually quite disappointing, at least I wont ever have to read it again ;)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

I've not read the WoC one. But I can imagine what you mean. Perhaps it's because of the love they get from GW rule and fluff wise that it's so boring. When things go wrong and you have to get up again after you've fallen down is what makes great stories. Simply managing to beat stuff you run into and always fighting, with the fighting being the actual goal makes for a pretty one dimensional story line and gives very little depth or empathy for the characters involved. Of course this doesn't mean you can't write great stories for them. Just that it takes better writers then those employed by GW to write the army books.

I noticed something similar with the End Times books (which I did read). The nurgle one especially (but the others suffered from this as well) was one dimensional and had magical stuff pop up everywhere to simply decide battles. The outcome of the battles, story lines and ultimately the book depended very little on the actual actions of those involved and where mainly the result of external factors. Which made for a fairly boring read.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:The outcome of the battles, story lines and ultimately the book depended very little on the actual actions of those involved
Like The Return of the King movie, where ghosts save Minas Tirith in about two seconds.
RE.Lee

#6 Post by RE.Lee »

Or the infamous eagles ;)

At least the Warhammer bad guys, being so good at what they do, finally make the good guys look appropriately heroic. Gone is the Star Wars Imperium-like goofiness.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy