3K Tourney List - Archmage or Loremaster?

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Deris87

3K Tourney List - Archmage or Loremaster?

#1 Post by Deris87 »

Putting together a list for an upcoming friendly-ish tournament and I'm debating between a backfield Shadow Archmage or Loremaster in my White Lions, or at least which one to give the Book to. The WLs will have the obligatory BotWD so the Loremaster should be safe against most challenges, I'm just not sure which one gets me more bang for the buck with the BoH.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: 3K Tourney List - Archmage or Loremaster?

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

Both?

For me the loremaster gains most from the BoH. He generally has more and lower casting cost spells. Which has great synergy with the book.

But it's not an easy comparison, since both will probably result in different armies. What are you planning on bringing together with the WL block?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

I agree with Rod. Shadow spells demand dice which means you cast less of them, so using the Book's offensive bonus less. On the other hand, the AM with Book would make for better dispelling. Be interesting to see your list Deris.
Deris87

#4 Post by Deris87 »

Here's my list with both AM and Loremaster. It uses most of my collection but I've got more WLs and PG, and I also have 13 or so Silverhelms I could swap for something in core.

+++ 3k HE Tourney (3000pts) +++

++ High Elves - Army Book (2013-4) -V8.8.0. (Standard) (3000pts) ++

+ (No Category) +

- Army Size [Grand Army (3000+ points)]

+ Lords (605pts) +

Archmage (275pts) [Lore of Shadow, Wizard Level 4 (35pts)]
····Magic Items (55pts) [BRB - Dispel Scroll (25pts), BRB - Talisman of Endurance (30pts)]

Loremaster of Hoeth (330pts) [Lores of Battle Magic, Wizard Level 2]
····Magic Items (100pts) [AB - Book of Hoeth (55pts), BRB - Armour of Silvered Steel (45pts)]

+ Heroes (134pts) +

Noble (134pts) [Battle Standard Bearer (25pts), Heavy Armour (4pts)]
····Magic Items (35pts) [AB - Shield of the Merwyrm (15pts), BRB - Sword of Might (20pts)]

+ Core (750pts) +

Archers (160pts) [15x Archer (150pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)]

Archers (160pts) [15x Archer (150pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)]

Ellyrian Reavers (80pts)
····5x Ellyrian Reaver (80pts) [5x Spear (Mounted)]

Ellyrian Reavers (80pts)
····5x Ellyrian Reaver (80pts) [5x Spear (Mounted)]

Spearmen (270pts) [Champion (10pts), Musician (10pts), 25x Spearman (225pts)]
····Standard Bearer (25pts) [BRB - Standard of Discipline (15pts)]

+ Special (806pts) +

Phoenix Guard (375pts) [Champion (10pts), Musician (10pts), 20x Phoenix Guard (300pts)]
····Standard Bearer (55pts) [BRB - Razor Standard (45pts)]

White Lions of Chrace (431pts) [Champion (10pts), Musician (10pts), 27x White Lion (351pts)]
····Standard Bearer (60pts) [AB - Banner of the World Dragon (50pts)]

+ Rare (705pts) +

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower (70pts)

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower (70pts)

Flamespyre Phoenix (225pts)

Frostheart Phoenix (240pts)

Great Eagle (50pts) [Great Eagle (50pts)]

Great Eagle (50pts) [Great Eagle (50pts)]

Created with BattleScribe
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#5 Post by Ferny »

Looks good - classic 8th Ed list but with all the toys cos you've gone up to 3K. Personally I'd agree with the others and always put the book with the loremaster - he can trickle things through and the opponent has to keep dice back to deal with the shadow mega spells. Or dispel the trickle and suffer a mega spell. It's a good combo IMO, but works best with book on LM.
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Deris87

#6 Post by Deris87 »

Thanks for the input guys, I'll stick with the Book on the Loremaster. Also, since it's a friendly tournament I've been given the okay by the TO to proxy my Wildwood Rangers from my WE army as more White Lions. With that in mind, should I drop anything to add more WLs or PG?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

I think both the PG and the WL unit are big enough. I normally run my PG at 15 strong and they always perform great. So, 20 is a good number.

If you want to drop something I would drop 1 eagle. 3 redirectors at 3000pts can work ok. Otherwise, the list is great for a friendly tourney.

For a more 'cut-throat' tournament I would probably advise you to get rid of the spearmen and the flamespire. For me both are rarely worth the points. The flamespire only if you're up against big blocks of rats (and then only if they don't manage to ground it for a few turns) or big, cheap skeleton like units. But doing so can quickly take the list out of friendly territory and make it a hard list. The one you have now looks fun (and already pretty tough for some armies).

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#8 Post by Ferny »

I thing PG/WL is much more flexible than WL/WL. It might be somewhat match up dependent, but lions can suffer against high volume low value armies...
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support