2000 pt list, looking for tactical advice

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
joshw4288

2000 pt list, looking for tactical advice

#1 Post by joshw4288 »

Have a 2000pt game next week with miniwargaming.com The army I face is unknown so no tailoring here.

Lord:
Archmage (lvl. 4) w/ talisman of preservation (High magic)

Heroes:
Dragon mage(level 2) w/dragon armor, golden crown, and enchanted shield
Noble BSB w/ dragon armor, shield of merwyrm, sword of might

Core:
5 reavers w/ bows and spears
24 sea guard, shields, FC

Special:
18 sword masters FC
18 white lions FC, gleaming pennant
2 bolt throwers

Any thoughts on the list itself or on tactics using this list?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: 2000 pt list, looking for tactical advice

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Hi josh

List looks fairly balanced to me. The magic and shooting are both decent, you've got combat infantry, you've got a baby dragon, you've got redirectors, With three blocks it looks a little slow but the shooting (backed up with shooting buffs on the LSG and Magic Missiles) means quite a few opponents will have to come to you and the Dragonmage gives you a mobile counter.

The problem I can see is you've got two elite blocks, neither of which brings World Dragon. IMHO this is necessary because it takes so many things out of the game to counteract their inherant squishiness. I'd be tempted to either drop one block, or run the Swordmasters 2x10. Failing this, I'd put World Dragon on the Lions, then both characters in the Swordmasters, relying on Shield of Saphery to protect them.

I'd also take a Dispel Scroll on the Archmage, being able to auto-stop the spell of your choice is golden.
Doctor

#3 Post by Doctor »

Good advice. Though putting the mage into a BotWD bunker makes surviving miscasts a lot easier.

I second the recommendation of taking the dispel scroll, I wouldn't leave home without it (unless I'd take the book or the Everqueen). I think you can consider lowering your dragon mage's level to get the points.

The dragon mage may be handy, but he is only LD 8 so watch out when he is outside the general/BSB bubble (I actually lost him this way once).
joshw4288

#4 Post by joshw4288 »

Thanks for the comments!

The army was at 1996 points so I can drop a level off the dragon mage for 35 and drop the BSB's sword of might for 20 and grab the BotWD. If I drop the gleaming pennant and 1 sword master (or 1 white lion), then I can also fit the dispel scroll.

Thoughts?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Doctor wrote:Though putting the mage into a BotWD bunker makes surviving miscasts a lot easier.
Spot on Doctor. The banner also keeps the characters safe from Death snipes and just makes for a nasty combined unit that's immune to a load of stuff. That's why it's slightly unusual to see blocks of Swordmasters and Lions together, normally one would be Phoenix Guard, who don't need the Banner. But I think the SM's with Shield of Saphery alone should at least be playable.
joshw4288 wrote:Thanks for the comments!
You're welcome josh.
joshw4288 wrote:The army was at 1996 points so I can drop a level off the dragon mage for 35 and drop the BSB's sword of might for 20 and grab the BotWD. If I drop the gleaming pennant and 1 sword master (or 1 white lion), then I can also fit the dispel scroll.
This looks good to me. The Swordmasters start with an innate 6+ Ward vs archery, you should be getting a spell off each turn to push this to 5+. If you can find 5pts from somewhere Ironcurse Icon lets you duplicate this vs War Machines.
joshw4288

#6 Post by joshw4288 »

Based upon all the excellent feedback, this is what I am leaning towards...

Lord:
Archmage (lvl. 4) w/ talisman of preservation, dispel scroll, ironcurse icon (High magic)
4++

Heroes:
Dragon mage (level 1) w/dragon armor, golden crown, and enchanted shield
2+ (2++vs. 1st wound)

Noble BSB w/ heavy armor, shield of merwyrm
4+, 4++

Core:
24 sea guard, shields, FC

Special:
17 sword masters FC, standard of discipline (Archmage goes here)
17 white lions FC, BotWD (BSB goes here)

Rare:
2 bolt throwers
Total = 1999
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

Definitely worth a go.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

One thing to keep in mind (which I usually forget) and which is a nice bonus is that the dragon mage will be stubborn when within 12'' of the BotWD unit.

It looks like a nice allround list @2000pts. It depends a bit on what you will run into. But the list has strong magic, decent shooting and with a dragon on the table some nice fast board control. The sun dragon isn't the strongest and unlike a stardragon not something you want to throw into any unit and munch it up. But at 2000 pts the biggest toys will likely be missing and it should be able to hold its own.

Let us know how it goes :)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
joshw4288

#9 Post by joshw4288 »

Played against the Dwarves with this list on Thursday in a Blood and Glory scenario. Came out with the victory. I'll post the link to the battle report in a couple weeks when miniwargaming.com loads it on their website.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

Looking forward to it!

:)

I suspect World Dragon may have come in handy?
joshw4288

#11 Post by joshw4288 »

In case anyone is interested, here is the battle report:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/content/Dw ... ars-Ep-149

There is also a second one with a slightly different list from the MWG vault.

Enjoy.
Portents

#12 Post by Portents »

Thanks for posting Josh! Nice Althran to BSB conversion there. Great job on the dragon mage too. I really like miniwargaming, great to see a new high elf army on there.