Lothern themed army help :)

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Lothern

Lothern themed army help :)

#1 Post by Lothern »

Good evening ✌

I'm soon to start a 2000 HE army, based off Lothern/eatine. Havent got my hands in the book yet so need some input ☺

I read colours are white, red and yellow. Anyone have pics of that? ☺

I'm thinking Lvl 4 high magic with ToP with 20 PG with razor std. Bsb with reaver bow and str pot ++. 2x20 seaguard, one with flaming banner, 4 Bolt Throwers, 2 Eagles and some cav, maybe dragon princes? Hows that fluffwise?

The army is for fluff, I dont care for powerlevel ☺
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Lothern themed army help :)

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Hi Lothern and welcome!

:)

The army actually looks quite respectable power-wise, with that strong shooting phase. I'm no expert on the fluff but I guess PG are mysterious and might show up anywhere. Dragon Princes might be a little harder to rationalise, other cavalry being more common. Depends how strict you want to be I guess.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

Hi Lothern, welcome to the forum.

I don't have any pics of red, white and yellow elves. But if you want just red and white elves, check my plog. Link is in my signature.

You can't really go wrong with PG with the razor standard in my view. :)

Units that work in a lothern list are:
- WL: they are the bodyguards of the phoenix kings after all
- PG: they have a ceremonial role together with the phoenix king. Also, they show up where they want
- Skycutter: flying lothern seaguard
- LSG
- Boltthrowers
- eagles
- Silvers helms (they come from everywhere after all)

Any combination of them will create a nice, fluffy list. So, from what you suggested, I would swap out the cavalry for a skycutter or two, or use Silver helms (which are a good core unit).

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Francis

#4 Post by Francis »

Hi, and great choice of army theme (Lothern). This sort of force is one that is close to my heart.

When you create an Eataine/Lothern force there are a few things to remember. The first and most important is that you can do what you'd like with your own army. With that out of the way, we can get down to work.

When it comes to fluff it is important to remember that an Eataine army and a Lothern army is going to look very different. While Lothern is in Eataine, it is also for all intents and purposes a different realm all together. This impacts both your colour choices and your army composition.

Eataine is the most populous realm in Ulthuan, and the core of its armies are predominantly made up of the citizen militia. That means spearmen, archers and silver helms are the order of the day. You could also make a point for Ellyrian Reavers and Dragon Princes (both realms are close to Eataine).

Of all the elite infantry choices, Phoenix Guard is the one most fitting an Eataine army, although swordmasters are everywhere and White Lions regiments are based in Lothern so will also be close at hand. Repeater bolt throwers can be found in almost all high elf armies and so should fit right in. Phoenixes are a must in any Eataine army (take atleast two :mrgreen: )

The colours of Eataine are red, yellow, and orange, and phoenixes are popular symbols.

Now for Lothern. This city is something else entirely as it does not provide citizen militia at all. Instead it provides the 40 000 strong Lothern Seaguard, which forms its defence and the main expeditionary army of Ulthuan. Sea guard are the core of choice here, although you may want to supplement them with ellyrion reavers as these scouting horsemen are often found far from their homeland, you can also use silver helms as these are nobles and often serve even if they don't have to (being lothern citizens). Lothern sky cutters are a fluffy if not terribly competitive choice too, and bolt throwers are a must in a lothern army.

I would also use shadow warriors, as these can be painted to represent sea rangers (you won't find this fluff in your book, but they used to be a choice back when the seaguard had their own list in 6th edition). For the elite infantry, I would always go for swordmasters in a Lothern list. Dread fleet mentions swordmasters as a normal addition to Lothern navy ships, and the swordmasters are also the most numerous and adventurous of the elite infantry choices. If you don't like swordmasters, companies of white lions are sometimes seconded to captains and admirals as a sign of the Phoenix King's favour. Eagles are very common in Lothern armies, as they often performscouting duties for the elven fleets.

Colours here are blue, white and red. The symbol of Lothern is a red sea-dragon, but individual admirals have been known to use their personal symbols.

Hope this helps.