resolving a charge (again)

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Jallo

resolving a charge (again)

#1 Post by Jallo »

OK so maybe we're just not getting it but we have this situation:
a unit of silver helms wants to charge a unit of OK mournfang cavalry. The MC is in the front arch of the SH, and the SH is in the flank of the MC. This means the SH should charge the flank, but the MC is placed near a building with the flank so the unit cannot complete that charge. It's very close in distance and could easily charge the front, but since it's not in the front arch of MC it cannot do this...
the MC on the other hand doesn't have the SH in its front arch so it can obviously not charge. The two units are very close and it makes absolutely no sense that they cannot engage i CC. How would you resolve this?

I'l try to make it visual like this as I can't seem to understand how to upload the photo I shot. Please imagine that the lines and the x's are the walls of a house and the corner is a normal 90 degrees corner. the >and ^ indicate the fronts of the units.

MC>
-- ^
xS
xH
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: resolving a charge (again)

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

It's a bit hard to give a definitive answer, since it very much depends on who has how much room left over. The answer to the question is on p22 of the BRB.

Basically, you have to charge the arc you are in. If you're in the flank, then you charge the flank. The result could be that you only hit the corner of the unit. Also, if you can't 'close the door' then the enemy unit has to close the door. A certain amount of finagling (the term used in the BRB) is allowed to make it fit. If it doesn't fit, then the charge fails.

This can lead to some weird situations. For instance see Would you do this? Basically, you can place two units (like great eagles) in such a way that they effectively block the unit in question but they can't be charged:

Both eagles are in the front are, but the unit can't close the door and neither can the eagles (since they can pivot max 90 degrees). So the charge is not allowed.

With this in mind, I usually go for a common sense approach. But then, I only play friendly games, mainly vs good friends. In such a game I would probably find a way to make the charge work (and simply not allow the double eagle block).

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Jallo

#3 Post by Jallo »

Thanks Rod.

It seems that the finagling approach is best then. We only play "friendly games" as well (and a great friends) but no-one wants to give in so we really end up playing RAW! :-)
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Buildings, the bane of 8th edition!

:)

It's worth noting that the ETC, the world's most ruthless and cut-throat tournament, has Rod's eagle example on it's Bad Play List. In other words even they ban it!
John Rainbow

#5 Post by John Rainbow »

If you can't complete against the flank then RAW you can't charge. Dumb but it happens. I've had this happen several times.