Poll of 7th Edition

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Morgen

Poll of 7th Edition

#1 Post by Morgen »

So some of you surely must remember 7th edition Warhammer. It was around for a long time, it had a good amount of support.

So what about it do you remember that was any kind of issue. I know some of the army books were quite rough due to one issue or another but how about the core mechanics? I'm working on a long term project to give my gaming group something to do with all these GW miniatures and I've been screwed one too many times by poor charge distance rolls. Seriously my white lions love to charge 2 inches every game.

Anyone remember any major issues? I need to nudge off some nostalgia to make sure things go smoothly for the newer players.
Giladis
The Merlord

Re: Poll of 7th Edition

#2 Post by Giladis »

No step up was awful for infantry, US5 was suficient to negate ranks, small units using crossfire deleted much larger units which were fleeing. Cavalry was king.
RE.Lee

#3 Post by RE.Lee »

Pretty much what Giladis said. Getting the charge was everything and the guessing mechanic led to arguments. I was shocked so many of the new warhammer mods want to bring that back.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Someone summed up infantry blocks like this, must be at least one of:

a) Stubborn
b) Killy
c) Cheap
RE.Lee

#5 Post by RE.Lee »

I'd probably replace killy with tanky - attack strength means nothing if there's nobody to strike back. And cheap troops were only really redirectors. Steadfast units of slaves might be a bit annoying, but having your block of 30 broken by a charge of 5 dragon princes was no fun at all.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

I guess I'm talking stuff like Swordmasters and Black Guard which were fragile but could be relied upon to bring the pain fast.

Hmm, you're a Skaven player RE. We all know how good Slaves are in 8th but were they really no good in 7th?
RE.Lee

#7 Post by RE.Lee »

Yup, against other infantry units M5 elven elites they could be quite solid. Still, we needed ASF and no cavalry in core to start seeing armies that looked "proper". This came at the cost of forever being THE hated army in Warhammer.

Slaves in 7th were kind of speed bumps - a more unwieldy rat dart. Still useful of course, especially when your only real option is a gunline army.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

I remember my White Lions dealing quite brutally with Chaos Warriors and Blood Knights. In some ways the all-infantry Core was a good thing, though I guess you could get away with 2x10 under 7th. ASF was frustrating for people in 7th but HE's were only briefly the top book. New heights of bentness followed rapidly.

I didn't face Skaven much in 7th. They were vicious in 6th of course and pretty good in early 8th.
RE.Lee

#9 Post by RE.Lee »

We were only briefly top, yes, but have remained despised for ASF ever since I feel. Now the hatred just spread out to other Elves (especially the dark variety #saynotoracism :) Our elites, with ASF, went around the very basics of 7th ed - it made them viable.

I loved the Skaven back in 5th - a couple of units of 25 clanrats with 2 assassins, 2 globadiers and a warpfire thrower in each. Those were the days ;)
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

Lol, I think players hate High Elves simply because they are High Elves!

:)

You're right though because a Daemon player recently took exception to how good my single unit of five Wild Riders and my 40 bowshots were. I didn't have the heart to mention it could have been twice as much! Indeed a good point about how HE elites defied the 'physics' of 7th, necessarily so. As did Black Guard I guess and other units like Daemons in their own ways. There's always stuff that "doesn't play Warhammer".
Bolt Thrower

#11 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Fear and Terror were actually fun in 7th compared to being basically non-existent in 8th. Looking back I actually really enjoyed 7th. The magic phase was really different but I think I enjoyed it more. Granted I didn't really play too many opponents who spammed power dice, but other than that I liked the feel of the spells from 7th.

I can see how not pre-measuring and not rolling on charge moves could cause some drama competitively, I never had any real disagreements on distance with a friendly group.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Morgen

#12 Post by Morgen »

Well we're going to try out some things and see how that works out. 7th plays more like a game I'd want to play then 8th did. Feels rougher and I'm sure some of it is just nostalgia. We've got so many resources for 7th after all comparatively.

Problems with armies and the like can be worked out once you've got a better engine under the hood. Get the mechanics of the base game right and then roll into either building some kind of modular system or repairing army books.

I like the idea of having some kind of cap on power/dispel dice but I also like allocating dice to specific wizards/runelords rather then it just sitting in an army pool.

I like volley and supporting attacks but I dislike step up.

Unit Strength is just too useful of a mechanic for me to throw away, especially in terms of say fear.

I like the idea of some randomness in a charge but a totally random charge distances isn't it. I have suffered too many failed charges that were under the movement value of my units. Apparently White Lion great axes are super heavy or something and really slow them down.

Scoring stuff too. Points for table quarters, points for half-strength units, points for fleeing models, etc.

I do like guess ranges for things. I think they're more fun and interesting then whipping out a measuring device. I'm not going to have a pre-measure everything game.
RE.Lee

#13 Post by RE.Lee »

Morgen wrote: I have suffered too many failed charges that were under the movement value of my units.
Wait, what? How did you do that?
cheers, Lee