basics for 1,500 point friendly tournament

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
afterglow82

basics for 1,500 point friendly tournament

#1 Post by afterglow82 »

Hey guys, I'm a long time player, but took a long break so im relatively new to the current game.

I'm going to be playing a mini tournament with a couple of friends, 1.500 points. This is new territory for me, as i usually play 3000+, and have very rarely had to make an army that can face all comers.

I'm struggling with some of the basics - with bigger armies i tend to split my army - a hard hitting cavalry flank, with a star dragon/frostie in support, and a stationary infantry, lots of archers, RBT, sisters, and a couple of big blocks of special to soak up enemy charges - it works quite well for me, but with such a small army i cant do that, i have to concentrate on one or the other

Chances are ill be facing dwarves, wood elves, dark elves, skaven, maybe WoC.

I'm thinking ill max out on RBT, or perhaps take 3 and use the remaining rare points for sisters.

For core i'd like to take a big unit of silver helms, maybe with a noble or even prince, and BoTWD, but they'd be without support, so im toying with the idea of dropping them, using reavers and archers to fill up my core quota, then pumping points into a big block of white lions instead (That said, in such a small game, would my silver helms NEED any support?)

For mages, im completely stuck. i normally go pretty magic heavy, i'd rarely go without 3 mages, but again i just dont have the points. I love High, but I feel like i need a destructive lore. But then, Loremaster has the flexibility, especially in a tournament. he just seems so expensive for a level 2, especially when he needs his full points quota of items to be effective. I'm also toying with alarielle, maybe even get banner of avelorn out of it...

There's just so much to think about i don't know where to start! any help would be appreciated :)
matrim

Re: basics for 1,500 point friendly tournament

#2 Post by matrim »

Well it is nice to see people still play 8th :)
With a 1500 point game you have two approaches; all attack (reavers, sh, dp/LC + rbts) or sit back and shoot (archers, lions/pg, rbts and eagles) Don't bother with BotWD as 50pts is really high at this level. Don't get more then two special charecters otherwise your army will shrink significantly.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: basics for 1,500 point friendly tournament

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Loremaster is pricey but brings a lot of magic threat at 1500 plus a Ld 9 general. He would probably mean Lions, though I'd be looking to avoid fighting Wild Riders or Witch Elves for example. Against the armies listed I still think World Dragon is necessary for Lions because of all that magical shooting.

I agree with matrim about the characters, even BSB is moot. On one hand, Helm bus makes sense to exploit Core points. On the other, Prince is pricey and you need to buy magic. I guess you could go for a mid-sized unit with (Dawnstone?) BSB and just pick your fights. You might even be able to combine this with Loremaster+Lions but it's a bit experimental and you still need some shooting.