2400 Tournament

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
20phoenix

2400 Tournament

#1 Post by 20phoenix »

My local club are running an 8th edition tribute tournament so that seems like a good way to get my first tournament experience.

I'm torn between two lists below - one of them has two variants which just became possible thanks to someone selling me some dirt cheap models.

List 1:

Eltharion on Stormwing - Lvl 2 (High or Beasts?) 490

Archmage - Book of Hoeth, Golden Crown Lvl 4 Heavens - 285

Noble on Upgraded Eagle - Lance, Dragon Armour, Reaver Bow, POS, Charmed Shield, BSB - 226

Archers x 10 - Musician - 110
Reavers x 5 - Spears and Bows - 95
Reavers x 5 - Spears and Bows - 95
Silver Helms x 6 - Musician, SB - 158

Phoenix Guard x 20 - FC - 330

Eagle Claw x 3 - 210
Frostheart - 240

2397 points

List 2

Alarielle
Loremaster - Shield of Merwym, Sword of Might, Dispel Scroll - 290

Noble - Great Weapon, Dragon Armour, BSB, Banner of Avelorn - 149

Archer x 10 - Musician - 110
Reavers x 5 - Spears and bows - 95
Reavers x 5 - Spears - 80

Phoenix Guard x 18 - FC - 300
Swordmasters x 19 - FC, Banner of World Dragon - 327

Eagle Claw x 2 - 140
Frostheart - 240

Shooty Variant:

Alarielle - 4 life spells
Loremaster - Shield of Merwym, Sword of Anti-Heroes, Dispel Scroll - 290

Noble - Great Weapon, Dragon Armour, BSB, Banner of Avelorn - 149

Archer x 10 - Musician - 110
Reavers x 5 - Spears and bows - 95
Reavers x 5 - Spears - 80
Silver Helms x 6 - FC - 158

Phoenix Guard x 18 - FC - 300
Swordmasters x 20 - FC, Banner of World Dragon - 327
Shadow Warriors x 5 - 70

Eagle Claw x 4 - 140

First list is obviously more offensive - plan is to shut down areas of the field with comet while mobile elements roll up a flank. Gunline lists could be problematic hence why i'm considering High for Eltharion. I've taken Eltharion over a Star Dragon since I love Eltharion :)

Second list is all about two units that just wont die. Alarielle and BSB go into Swordmasters and Loremaster into PG. Seems weak against castled opponents as not particularly mobile. I'd prefer Alarielle in White Lions but I will only have ten so not enough to make it work. Phoenix could end up a bit exposed but does give the unit some punch its otherwise lacking.

Shooty version of the list leans more towards points denial as they have slightly better threat from range.

Anything you would tweak?
matrim

Re: 2400 Tournament

#2 Post by matrim »

I'd say first or the third list.

To begin with Eltharion cannot choose High, he has to chose one from BRB.
why 10 archers? Cannot see them offering any real support.
In the third list you can remove SW in favour of more archers...
Banner of Avelorn is an interesting item, allows you to save PD for the DB. However in case of life, DB is the only spell I'd actively try to stop therefore I cannot see you getting too much out of it. additionally LM demands his fair share of PD as being lv2. Again you may think that the banner will allow you to save PD so LM can cast, but that means you're banking on rolling high for the winds. (good luck)
May be add Razor Banner to PG instead of it or give the banner to PG. This will allow you to kit up your BSB, I know you don't want him fighting but he is the only protection Allerielle has. Or alternatively reduce the investment in magic and get a fighter lord (AA will be ideal for 3rd list) or more boots on the table. both your casters want as much PD as possible. Also consider distributing her spells (i.e. 1H + 3 Life) SQ (especially boosted one) is a very good MM.
20phoenix

#3 Post by 20phoenix »

Oh didnt know that about Eltharion. One of the problems of not owning the army book! Guess its Beasts or Death then. Leaning towards Beasts due to the signature.

10 archers is for a couple of reasons - they're a cheapish chaffy unit that can used to redirect if necessary in defensive games but can also pick off a few at range. The size is down to my model limitation - I only own 10!

The BoAs biggest benefit in my eyes is its ability to allow you to roll out buffs without dispel attempts because they're worried about dwellers or MM. In my test game I had three crappy winds rolls (4, 5, 2) but it was still enough to get the SM into combat missing only a model thanks to +8 regrowth rolls. Add in toughness bubbles and to a lesser extent earth blood and those SMs can be tough to break down.

You have pointed out my biggest concern though - Alarielle in combat. I did consider Korhil to throw stubborn into the mix but i'm not completely convinced - better option may be to add Prince with heavy armour, shield, dragonhelm, ogre blade, preservation tally into the mix. Extremely tough to kill coupled with Alarielles items and the lore attribute. Would mean dropping the Phoenix or the LM. If its the LM I can see the benefit of taking a high spell for SQ to give a MM option and a possible ward save bump.
matrim

#4 Post by matrim »

As you pointed out with low rolls there is only one room for a couple spells and LM won't be useful. I like LM very useful caster but don't think fits in your list.
You can use the points for a lv2 scrol caddy and Korhil. Or for 20WLs 8)