3 x 2000 points for Badlands Campaign

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Galtharion

3 x 2000 points for Badlands Campaign

#1 Post by Galtharion »

Hi everyone.

My local club is starting up a Blood in the Badlands campaign which has really sparked up interest in 8th again. So far out of 15 or so players I'm the only HE but all armies are represented. I've not played in a long time and would like some input if I'm thinking about lists in a way that will hamper me or the fun.

Specific rules for armies:
We are not using End Times or the latest FAQ. So 25% Lords not 50%.
Only 1 of the 3 generals can be a named character.
The 3 generals have to be unique. There will be times when all are on the field at the same time so they cannot share magic items.

My ideas are for a Tyrion bus army, a dual dragon monster list, and a Level 4 Book of Hoeth list.

List 1: 1998

Tyrion

Mage lvl 2. Ithilmar steed, Talisman of Endurance, High Magic

Mage lvl2, Dispel Scroll, Ring of Fury, High Magic

Noble, BSB, Ithilmar steed, enchanted shield, ogre blade, dragon armour,

Core:
12x Archers w/musician

10x Archers w/musician

10x Silver Helms w/ Full command and shields.

Special:
5 Dragon Princes

21 White Lions w/BotWD

Rare:
2x Bolt Thrower

Quite a blunt list, I worry about fast cav or needing redirectors.

List 2: 1998

Prince on a Moon Dragon, Lance, Shield, Armour of Destiny

Dragon Mage, Dragon Armour, Level 2, Gem of Sunfire, Enchanted Shield, dispell scroll.

Core:
12x Archers w/musician

10x Archers w/musician

10x Silver Helms w/ Full command and shields.

Special:
7x Dragon Princes w/Full Command, Starlance, BotWD

Rare:
Frostheart

Going full dragon on this one. Hoping target saturation keeps the monsters alive turn 1.

List 3. 1989 Suggestions for the last 11 points would be awesome :)

Archmage Level 4 w/Book of Hoeth, Talisman of Preservation Lore of Life or Shadow

Mage Level 2 w/dispell scroll. High or same lore as the lvl 4

Noble BSB w/ Reaver Bow, Potion of strength, enchanted shield, dragon armour, halbard

Core:
15 Archers w/musician

5 Reavers wmusician

25 Spears w/Full Command

Special:
20 Phoenix Guard w/Full Command

24 White Lions w/Full Command, BotWD

Rare:
2x Bolt Throwers

Thanks for looking and any thoughts you might have.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: 3 x 2000 points for Badlands Campaign

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome Galtharion! Sorry for delay, I've been ill.

First list looks decent but I agree, redirectors would be good. Maybe drop some archers for Reavers and the DP's for more RBT. Or drop the DP's for Eagles.

List two is full frontal, looks punchy. Maybe split the Helms.

List three I'd drop Spears for more Archers (you already have two blocks, so a slow, grindy army) and take High on the AM, to sit in PG for that 3+ Ward. A fighting BSB would complement this. Otherwise maybe Shadow and get another redirector in?
Galtharion

#3 Post by Galtharion »

SpellArcher wrote:Welcome Galtharion! Sorry for delay, I've been ill.

First list looks decent but I agree, redirectors would be good. Maybe drop some archers for Reavers and the DP's for more RBT. Or drop the DP's for Eagles.

List two is full frontal, looks punchy. Maybe split the Helms.

List three I'd drop Spears for more Archers (you already have two blocks, so a slow, grindy army) and take High on the AM, to sit in PG for that 3+ Ward. A fighting BSB would complement this. Otherwise maybe Shadow and get another redirector in?
Hope you are feeling better.

With list 1 I'm having thoughts about making it a dragon prince deathstar unit with tyrion et al, possibly drop the helms for reavers.

List 3 I've had similar advice about the core. Changing that to 2 x 15 archers and 2 x 5 reavers is spot on 500 points. What do you suggest for a fighting bsb?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Thank you.

A Tyrion DP bus could own face. I feel it's stronger with open lists than closed because you know where the Dragonbane Gems are that he struggles to hurt.

On reflection I think you're better off keeping the Reaver BSB in Archers and going Shadow. Withering and Mindrazor really help here.