High elf prince on star dragon build

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
CoagulantFish

High elf prince on star dragon build

#1 Post by CoagulantFish »

I am intending to eventually use a prince on a star dragon and comply to the idea of en times lords allowance. I'm not really a big fan of the dragon model as it looks slightly precarious so I intend to use the big empire griffon and treat it as a star dragon (The mega griffon). I have come up with a build I like as I am creating an end times list for both my high elves and my skaven to fight with one another.

-Prince on star dragon with: Lance, dragon armour, enchanted shield, talisman of preservation, the reaver bow, and potion of strength.

I realise that princes on dragons are usually combat focused but I though a shooty prince on dragon/mega griffon may be a more interesting way of taking him. My logic being that the dragon/Mega griffon is dong the real fighting so the prince might as well do something that it can't. The lance will hopefully give him more hitting power and I think the talisman should keep him alive a bit longer when getting shot at or being hit by boneripper.

Please leave your opinions on the idea below and if you have any ideas on the development of thee mega griffon I would be happy to hear them.
John Rainbow

Re: High elf prince on star dragon build

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

I think this is a poor build. As you said yourself the dragon wants to be in CC so in my mind the points are wasted here. If you want a mobile reaver bow put the prince on an eagle. If you want a dragon gear the rider up for CC. My bet would be Star Lance and a 4++ at the least. Probably the OTS too.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Moved to Tactics Forum as, while I take John's comments on board, I feel the idea of shooty dragon is worth a look at least.

SA

Of course in previous editions you got a Breath Weapon attack every round, so it sometimes paid off to just fly around and roast things. I guess the advantage of Potion of Strength here is you can choose between those three S8 shots, or putting in 4 S9 ASF attacks on the turn you charge. Maybe you have an approach round where you flame and shoot at S5, charge next round with the Potion and use the bow again when you're likely out of charge arc after Pursuit or such?
Ladril Caledor

#4 Post by Ladril Caledor »

I think this kind of build works better with an Anointed on Flamespyre. It's cheaper than the star dragon and it's really fun to follow up a Wake of Fire bombing run with a boosted shot from the reaver bow.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Or a Sun Dragon even? You have the choice of Prince, Archmage or Dragon Mage then and it has the same Breath Weapon as the SD. I guess the point of the latter is you are going in like a wrecking ball at some stage. You do lose the multiple charge power of the Star Lance though and Other Trickster's Shard.
John Rainbow

#6 Post by John Rainbow »

I still stick by my eagle mount idea. With the bow and PoS you can still get to a 2+ AS and a ward save of some sort.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

I've run a fighty prince on sundragon a few times. And he's not bad, though nowhere near as powerful as his big brother. Where the star dragon lets you charge a lot of stuff with impunity, the sun dragon really needs support to achieve much in combat.

Still, I think he can work. And I would prefer him in this build over the anointed on flamespire. The problem with the flamespire is that he probably wants to be marching most of the time to get the full use from wake of fire. And marching means no reaver bow shooting. So those are at odds. Also, the sun dragon is 75 points cheaper, which can get you some of the support both of them will need if you get into combat. And the 1 extra attack can make a difference.

I wouldn't give the prince a lance though. If you go for either sun dragon or flamespire, the prince will need to do a serious part of the killing. And you're more likely to be in longer combats. Also, as a shooting platform there's a bigger chance you'll get charged instead of being the one who charges.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

I guess the issue is that Reaver Bow eats the Magic Weapon slot. That leaves Great Weapon, which worsens the armour save and loses re-rolls. If you know your opponent has to go for it you can always drink the Potion on his turn, giving you S8 Stand and Shoot plus S7 in combat. I guess Halberd is worth a look.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#9 Post by Prince of Spires »

I agree that's one of the issues with the reaver bow. But with the bow as a starting point of the build, s4 when you're not charging is an issue. Especially on sun dragon or flamespire where you don't get the high S killing power of a star dragon. On the Star dragon, the dragons s7 keeps you relatively safe when you're being changed or in later rounds. And with more attacks you do enough damage.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
John Rainbow

#10 Post by John Rainbow »

SpellArcher wrote:I guess the issue is that Reaver Bow eats the Magic Weapon slot. That leaves Great Weapon, which worsens the armour save and loses re-rolls. If you know your opponent has to for it you can always drink the Potion on his turn, giving you S8 Stand and Shoot plus S7 in combat. I guess Halberd is worth a look.
You also lose armour in CC with a halberd though.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#11 Post by SpellArcher »

Yeah, I'm just ruminating.

Maybe if you intend to fight multiple rounds of combat and you don't have a Star Dragon, a magic sword is necessary. But a lot of 'medium' flying characters go just with lance and count on breaking stuff on contact, or just after.