Initiative Redux

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Hyarion

Initiative Redux

#1 Post by Hyarion »

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, Mods please move this topic as appropriate.

What is the general consensus here on the ASF rule? It always struck me as being lazy game design. Especially when coupled with the "ASF + >I = rerolls to hit". Which seems like an even stranger mechanic with 8th Edition's stepping up rule.

So if we were going to make Initiative be a more useful stat and have all troops strike in initiative order, how should it be done?

Base changes:
1) ASF and ASL will essentially be going away.
2) Chargers will not automatically strike first.
3) Great weapons will not automatically strike last.
4) All attacks will be performed in strict initiative order. Models with a tie in I will strike blows simultaneously.
5) Let's re-imagine the Stepping Up rule as follows: Casualties are first removed from the first rank (the combat rank) with the usual exception of Champions and Characters (like in 7th edition). Further casualties are removed from models that cannot strike back. Models in the second rank (and third if the unit has spears as appropriate) may then make their own retaliatory strikes. Hopefully this will have the effect of having low armor troops striking first be an effective tactic, instead of turning Wardancers into expensive Empire Flagellants.

Proposed new changes:
Chargers get +1I to initiative?
Great Weapons halve initiative?
Infantry Spears get +1I vs Cavalry? Or units with the Fly special rule?
Engaging an already engaged unit grants +1I?
Units winning the previous round of combat win ties in the following round?
What else would you folks like to see or how could I improve the idea?
Hyarion Celenar

The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Initiative Redux

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Moved to Ideas Forum.

SA