2500 pt Redstone Rumble Comp Tournament List.

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Elitherin

2500 pt Redstone Rumble Comp Tournament List.

#1 Post by Elitherin »

Hello All

I am going to be taking my High Elves to Redstone Rumble in October. This will be my second multi-day large tournament that I have played in, but I have been playing High Elves since their release in 6th edition. I have many local one day tournaments under my belt, but this will be the first time I will be playing with comp.

The Redstone comp is as follows:

Army Composition
1. No Special Characters
2. No unit that costs more than 500pts (excludes characters)
3. You may NOT include units in an army list which consist of more than 60 models (hidden models or attachments do not count to parent unit model count. Ex. Fantatics, Weapon Teams, Detachment

Scoring Unit- Any non-fleeing unit with a banner (excluding BSB) that has enough models to count as having a rank for that unit.
For example
5 Swordsmen (with standard included in the 5) would count as a scoring unit.
3 Ogre Bulls (with standard included in the 3) would count as a scoring unit.
Characters and BSB do not count towards model count or standard requirements.

All the the scenarios require scoring units to achieve most of the bonus points.
For example
5 of 20 possible battle points: Danger Zone! – A scoring unit ends the game in opponents’ deployment zone.

I have tweaked my list to work with the comp and the different scenarios (message me if you would like a copy of the player pack)

This list has some familiar points and some that are not so familiar, the lists I normally play are Prince, life Archmage in silver helm bus with frosty, or Alarielle life with White Lion Horde + shooting.

I am looking for any feedback that I can use to improve the list, do keep in mind this is an all comers list that is just for this specific tournament, not one I would really use in an uncomped environment.

2500 Pts - High Elves Roster

Lords:

1 Archmage Level 4 Lore of Shadow; Book of Hoeth, Crown of Command (General)

Heroes:

Noble; Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield of the Merwyrm

Noble (Battle Standard Bearer); Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Preservation

Mage, Level 2 Lore of High Magic; Dispel Scroll

Core:

2 (5) Ellyrian Reavers, Bow, Spear

2 (6) Silver Helms, Musician, Standard Bearer

1 (12) Archers

Special:

1 (21) Phoenix Guard, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer; Standard of Discipline (ran 5 wide 5 deep /w Characters)

1 (21) White Lions of Chrace, Musician, Standard Bearer; Banner of the World Dragon (ran 7 wide 3 deep)

Rare:

1 (7) Sisters of Avelorn

2 Great Eagle

4 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Total Roster Cost: 2500

I am aiming to achieve the hammer and anvil strategy, the Phoenix Guard being the anvil, the White Lions being the hammer, with ranged and mobile threats plus chaff. The idea is for the Nobles to act as 4+ 3++ (with high magic going off) tanks to provide protection to the mages. I opted for the +1 LD banner on the Phoenix Guard to give me LD 10 w/o having to take a Prince. Why I am not taking the Razor Standard on the PG or halberds on the Nobles is because Mind Razor will make that standard irrelevant and let me keep better Armor saves with the Nobles but still dish out the damage. Even if I don't roll Mind Razor or don't have any good magic phases, I still have the White Lions for needed punch and the Dragon banner for miscast avoidance w/ shadow swapping foolery early and mid game.

Points of possible change I am looking at are:

Dropping 2 sisters to add 1 while lion, give the Archmage the Golden Crown of Atrazar, and give one Noble a bow.

The placement of the Crown of Command; taking it off the Archmage and putting it on the second Noble.
Making my second noble my general instead of the Archmage.

Looking forward to any and all feedback.

Thanks!
Cold Phoenix

Re: 2500 pt Redstone Rumble Comp Tournament List.

#2 Post by Cold Phoenix »

It doesn't look bad. You are relying on keeping anything from targeting the Mages, so anything which can get at the characters anyway, such as Sniping Spells, Wood Elf Snipers and Dwellers will cause problems.
high elf

#3 Post by high elf »

I'll also be attending Redstone Rumble this October.. huzzah! Always nice to see the southeast USA represent on the forums as well. Having said that your list is very similar to mine except for the frosty. I realize he's cannon fodder but he is the best monster in the game and he almost always pulls his weight in VPs. One thing I don't understand though is why are all of your characters in your phoenix guard? Wouldn't it make more sense to put them in the white lions for the 2++ vs magic attacks/miscasts? Also, if all your characters are in one unit, who is your shadow mage going to smoke and mirror swap with? Someone in the same unit?

My list could use some advice as well if you'd all be so kind. I typically bring while lions and a lvl 4 shadow over swordmasters and a Loremaster but I like the paint job and its time to get them off the shelf. I'm also tired of weak winds of magic phases and dependence on mindrazor & a scattering pit of shades.

2500pts High Elves

Lords:

Loremaster of Hoeth (General); Book of Hoeth, Talisman of Preservation

Heroes:

Noble (BSB); Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Sheild of Merwyrm, Crown of Command

Mage (Level 1 High); Dispel Scroll

Core:

2 x 5 Reavers, Bow, Standard

2 x 6 Silver Helms, Full Command

15 archers

Special:

19 Swordmasters, Full Command, Banner of the Word Dragon (Loremaster and BSB here) 7x3

20 Phoenix Guard, Full Command, Razor Standard (High mage here) 7x3

Rare:

4 Bolt Throwers

Frost Phoenix

Total Cost: 2497
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Elitherin's list:

1) I suggest putting MR2 on the Merwyrm guy, maybe drop an eagle (you have Reavers) and get Golden Crown plus a standard on the Archers. Dwellers is an issue, might have to split the characters up then. I guess there are other times, as high elf mentions, that you'd want to do this anyway.

2) If the PG champ dies, I suppose you're putting the Mage into rank one, though going narrower than 5-wide is an option with the Crown.

high elf's list:

Not much I would change. Move standards to Helms as more survivable than Reavers maybe?