cothique guard, a he monstrous infantry

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
dundulin

cothique guard, a he monstrous infantry

#1 Post by dundulin »

I was thinking of a way to get a fluffy monstrous infantry unit and came up with this

Cothique beach guard

The Elvin kingdom of cothique is often assailed by bands of raiders or full invasions of it's coast, to this end the warriors of cothique have developed a shield wall that keeps a thin flank and solid front. Each block being made up of a central 'shield' and two swordsman. Used by high Elvin generals as a hard anvil to slowly shunt the foe backwards.

M. Ws. Bs. S. T. W. I. A. Ld. troop type 40 pts
5. . 5. . . 4. .4. 3. 3. .5 3. .8. monstrous infantry
Equipment
Heavy armour, shields, the 'shield' has a spear
2 swordsman great weapons 6pts per model
2 swordsman spears free
special rules
Always strikes first, valour of ages, martial prowess,
Thin line, 3 as 1

thin line
To provide a small flank these are mounted on a cavalry base turned side ways

3 as 1
The saves from the shields are combined, ie if the swordsman have swords the as is 2+ and parry 5+.
If they have spears the as is 2+. If they have GW the as is 4+
Also the whole model uses the highest strength. Although only 1 spear attack may be made from the 4th rank unless spears are purchased for the unit

Thin line creates a unique unit as well as it being a small (hight wise) monstrous infantry unit.
It keeps the T3 glass hammer feel while being able to get a decent save. It's 'Stomp' is more of a combined shunt

The model itself would consist on a central elf with a large sheild and spear flanked by two others with the appropriate gear, ideally 1 left and 1 right handed elf to get the best angle from behind the central shield

Any comments?
Are the points right?
Last edited by dundulin on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
lordoftheshadows

Re: cothique guard, a he monstrous infantry

#2 Post by lordoftheshadows »

This is an interesting Idea.

I think that they should only have 3 wounds though. Also you don't need a special rule denoting what base they are on.

I would rewrite the rules for 3 as 1:

"All saves for the model are combined and used as the models armor save. Additionally parry save for the model stack with each other.
The model must be attacked as a whole; each elf may not be attacked separately.
Supporting ranks may make as many attacks as are on their profile."

I would recommend adding something like this also.

Brace for the charge:

"On a turn in which a unit of Cothique Beach Guard are charged they are stubborn
Also the charging unit cannot gain a strength bonus from a non-magical weapon that only activates on the charge (lance, spears)"
This unit must pass a leadership test to charge another unit. If it fails then it can still move as normal, although it counts as having moved even if it does not."

Shield wall:

"If this unit has 3+ models then it must have a full frontage of at least 3 models. Additionally the maximum number of ranks is limited to twice the number of models in the front rank.
A character may not join this unit unless he is carrying a shield. If a character carrying a shield joins this unit he must use it even if other rules would prevent him from doing so."

This gives the unit the feel of a wall of shields that are reluctant to move but can take a charge very well.
Words to live by:
Live for ever or die in the attempt.

The motto of my master (Zaros) may he rest in peace.
Proud member of the Mage Knight Guild.
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214[/url]
The Prince of Death
dundulin

Re: cothique guard, a he monstrous infantry

#3 Post by dundulin »

I edited the stats to be more in line

I was thinking an option for a character could be beach guard, making the character the shield and his Flanders part of the same model, kind of like a a mount, at say:
Cothique guard 40pts adds 2 ws 5 attacks +2 to armour save and 5+ parry regardless of others equipment, and 2 wounds, may not join units other than cothique guard

I like your rules but I'd role them into 1 rule 'shield wall' and ban characters that don't have their own team