ASF for all the elves?

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Ashlian

ASF for all the elves?

#1 Post by Ashlian »

Just a little idea that came to me: High elves have ASF mainly for fluff/defining reasons.
Wouldn't it make sense that both dark- and woodelves get this same rule in their new armybooks?
They live just as long, hone their skill to the same amount and even have ancestral bonds.

Also does anyone know when the release of these 2 books is planned? (I just really love elves no matter their kind)
painting models: [url]http://warhammerhighelveswhitelions.blogspot.be/[/url]
Sackree

Re: ASF for all the elves?

#2 Post by Sackree »

I believe Asur ASF atems more from their disciplined training and concription into the miltia turning them into a powerful fighting force.
Nethier Druchii nor Asrai has this kindof training or discipline which is why it is just for us. Their quickness is still shown through their high initiative.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45855]Charge of the Loremaster - Army Blog[/url]
RogueSun

#3 Post by RogueSun »

Sackree wrote:I believe Asur ASF atems more from their disciplined training and concription into the miltia turning them into a powerful fighting force.
Nethier Druchii nor Asrai has this kindof training or discipline which is why it is just for us. Their quickness is still shown through their high initiative.
I think it wouldn't be too far fetched to see both Wood Elves and Dark Elves get some kind of army wide universal rule though.

Dark Elves could easily get Hatred as an army wide rule.

Similarly Wood Elves could get Quick to Fire (they pretty much have this already, other than being able to always Stand and Shoot).
The Silly Dragon

#4 Post by The Silly Dragon »

To my understanding Dark Elves already have hatred as a universal rule and Wood Elves have Asrai Archery which allows them to move and fire without penalty. Not sure what you mean RogueSun? :P

Also i am with Sackree that its not the Elven blood that gives ASF its the formal discipline of the Citizen Levy that gives it. All Elves have the same stats lines (apart from Elites which are obviosly abit better for all armies too). I don't see the backstabbing hateful Druchii as being able to work as a team in combat like the Asur does as they expect each other to kill one another eventually (so why should they protect them?) and the Asrai are guerilla style warfare so are much more spread out and skirmishing etc which makes the fighting style to give ASF hard to achieve.

Its all just excuses at the end of the day as any army could get it with the right fluff put in as to why. Or even ignoring fluff completely like the Skullcannon (doesn't Khorne hate ranged weapons and vows never to use them as they are weak? which is why he despises magic as its not as pure as steel upon flesh is? then why the hell has he made a cannon? #-o )
[b]War. War never changes [/b]
[i]dum spiro, spero...[/i]
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
RogueSun

#5 Post by RogueSun »

The Silly Dragon wrote:To my understanding Dark Elves already have hatred as a universal rule and Wood Elves have Asrai Archery which allows them to move and fire without penalty. Not sure what you mean RogueSun? :P
I meant Hatred every round of combat against anyone, much like they have against High Elves.

Also, as I mentioned, I realize Wood Elves already have most of Quick to Fire (like I wrote, please don't patronize when I've stated it already), they DO NOT however get to stand and shoot from any distance.

It's also worth noting that Dark Elves don't have Hatred. They have Eternal Hatred, which is a different rule even though it has the same effect. Same with Asrai Archery. GW has been streamlining their rules (about friggin time since PP has been putting them to shame), so it's likely Dark Elves will just get 'Hatred' and Wood Elves will get 'Quick to Fire' instead of rules that are specific to the race that achieve the same thing.
Lochlann of Lothern

#6 Post by Lochlann of Lothern »

I think that Martial Prowess (MP) was intended to represent the superb training and discipline of the HE. I see the quickness of ASF as being being Elven. So with our Dark and Wild Kindred having their own 'speciality bonus traits', as noted above, I don't think it is too far of a reach to think that all Elves will have ASF.

Lochlann
Rychek
Location: Where folks know what picante sauce should taste like!

#7 Post by Rychek »

ASF DE would've bother me too much, provided they are costed appropriately compared to HE.
Rychek: he who has not an Asur name.
wisetiger7

#8 Post by wisetiger7 »

I think Martial Prowess would be better for an all around elfy special rule. With half of the Wood Elf army being non elfs, the ASF would be wasted on them. But being able to shoot with a third row would be highly beneficial to woodies. Same with druchii. But honestly, I would rather see neither of them on the other elf armies. Remember that part of the reason Martial Prowess became army wide for Helfs was because of the loss of SoA to our gw wielding units and characters. SM and WL lost a bit of attack power with the loss of SoA, so to compensate, they got an extra rank to attack. Giving the Martial Prowess to the other elfs just makes them better, whereas it was compensatory for us, unless of course, they take something away from the other elfs too.
thelordcal wrote:Or he uses his big a$$ banner pole as a great weapon...
wisetiger7 wrote:That's what she said.
Asurion Whitestar wrote:I would normally delete such an off topic post, but this is just too good. Classic..!! :)