Changing Banner of the World Dragon

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...

Would you've prefered if I made a new poll on Ulthuan.net insead of just making a link?

Yes
69%
Doesn't matter
No votes
No
No votes
I like polls!
31%

Total votes: 13

Râstë

Changing Banner of the World Dragon

#1 Post by Râstë »

I'm trying to houserule a couple of inbalanced rules and I chose to start with the new version of our beloved Banner of the World Dragon which I believe is a little bit over the top. I'd appreciate it if you took a minute of your precious time to check out and vote on this poll over at warseer:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... hould-work

Thanks in advance & long live the Asur!
One by one the Daemons fell and Elf Lord he stood tall
For should he fail upon his task then mortal world would fall
And on this day we bow our heads to he who world did save
Aenarion the Proud Defender, Aenarion the Ever Brave
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Changing Banner of the World Dragon

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
The Silly Dragon

#3 Post by The Silly Dragon »

I would go to vote but it means signing up to warseer which i have no interest in doing so (don't get me wrong nice to visit once and while but not to stay).

I would've voted that its fine as it is. Reasons:
It only affects 1 unit.
It has the same effect vs spells as the old Loremaster's Cloak did which wasn't taken alot anyways.
It affects magical attacks (so what has magical attacks? Deamons, Forest Spirits, Ethereals, Warpstone Skaven weapons, Magic Weapon items). What percentage does that equate to, Empire, Dwarves, Ogres, Lizardmen, hell any rank and file thats not one of the above? Lets say 20% which in my opinion is too high. Now an item that gives a 2++ to a single unit against 20% of the attacks out there? What about the other 80%? Normal attacks so the unit can easily still be killed just not by the blenderlords etc. The whole Deamons army? Kill everything else as any High Elf player who is going to field 75% of his point in one unit will lose against most other armies so bad in tournies. In friendlies, well if they keep pulling the banner 75% army in one unit trick on you Deamon players then simply don't play them as its obviously not a friendly game and also what if its friendly and just for a laugh not competitive then who the hell cares? I've faced plenty of Ogre Gutstars with Runemare and yes it sucks doesn't it? But i simply don't like to play that list in friendly games anymore as its stupid but if i have to in tournies then i will concentrate on killing the rest of the army and avoiding the Deathstar trying for a minor victory. Its a challenge sure but if the game was simple "push + roll dice = win/lose" then god it would be awful and boring.

It is alittle cheap but i feel thats to free up the BSB as he can't have good protection and our characters are very squishy and simply not worth it if they haven't got any sort of protection better then a 3+ AS.

This is coming from someone who has a small DoC army (1500).
[b]War. War never changes [/b]
[i]dum spiro, spero...[/i]
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Aerendar Valandil

#4 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

I think I agree with you, Silly. I think it is much ado about a minor point. If you play friendly against someone with a small army that is very poorly equipped against the banner, don't use it. In competitive play it is strong (but hardly infallible) against a few armies, but a loser if built around a verly large point sink against most others, so it will usually be built around one not too large unit that can be avoided with some care. I really do not think it's a major point.
Daeron
Scotty? Laforge? Kaylee? Engy? Evil Wrench?

#5 Post by Daeron »

Personally, I won't be bothered too much by the banner as a Dark Elf player, so I would have no qualms about it. But if you want to get a feeling of what the banner is like on the other end of the stick... see it like a pendant of kaeleth for a whole unit for only 15 points more. The POK seems to have conjured enough hatred and dislike and shouts of "OP'ness". The banner of the world dragon does that against some armies for a whole unit.

And sure, mundane attacks still work against the BotWD just like sniping spells, searing doom etc still negate the PoK, not to mention that mundane S3 and S4 attacks go through a PoK easily enough to make it "no problem".
It may be just one unit, but that's one unit you are unlikely to attack with characters... as so few characters equip mundane weapons. No spells, no characters. High Elves are an elite army, so you'll be hard pressed to get the upper hand in combat, especially if there's a tooled up character in that unit.

Is it an infalliable banner? Certainly not. Neither is PoK. As a DE player I see the weaknesses of the PoK all too easily. But you can imagine that isn't always a comfort for the opponent. "Hey, if you tailor your list this way and that, then base your strategy around taking it down, it's really not that hard to fly right past its defense!"
Oops
Cable

#6 Post by Cable »

I think it's just a Death Star tactic, it's not broken or anything. It's just ONE unit and it can be slaughtered with regular attacks / war machines or the usual, like you would do with every block you can't kill, kite it and kill everything else.
I'm really sorry for Daemons players who have a far superior army to ours, that we actually have one unit that would cause them problems.
aurynn
Location: Looking for a lost Asur expedition somewhere in the Old World

#7 Post by aurynn »

I vote for no change as well. After testing even my opponents had to agree that it is not broken. Its just scary. Nothing more. Even Daemons CAN and WILL win if played well and I have seen it done. It was not a 20-0 win, but it was a clear win.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44814&p=804131#p804131]My personal PLOG[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45715]Lost Asur Expedition - army blog[/url]
[quote]"Well, hey, I didn't spend all those years playing Dungeons and Dragons and not learn a little something about courage."
- X-files, ep. Jose Chung's From Outer Space, Faulkner[/quote]