New Wood Elves: What they're missing

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Gondarion

New Wood Elves: What they're missing

#1 Post by Gondarion »

I was one of those pretty underwhelmed by the Wood Elves, they've lost a good chunk of their identity and the list appears to lack internal balance and much in the way of combat ability. These are just some ideas I had, no points cost ideas. These are meant to be added to the new book, not predate/replacing it

SPECIAL RULES:

Forest Spirit: Same, but any models with this rule have their ward save increased to 5+ when within a wood.

Arboreal Likeness: Dryads/Branwraith/Treekin/Treeman/Ancient models count as being in hard cover if within 2" of a wood

Blinding Assault: All Wardancers and Shadow dancers always re-roll to hit and wound on the charge

Elder Spirit: A Treeman Ancient follows all the rules for Forest Spirits, but gains a 4+ ward save when in a wood instead of a 5+. Additionally, All Treeman Ancients have MR:2

UNITS

Dryads: They revert back to Skirmishers, Same stats as in 6th, but with Hatred added

Treekin: Complete reimagining. Treekin are no longer spirits who live in dead bark (LAME). Instead, they are elemental spirits who take the form/essence of various types of tree. Basic MI stats, plus the following

ASPECTS: Each unit must take on one of the following:

Willow: +1A
Elm: +1S
Oak: +1T
(?): Psychological effect of some sort, maybe enemies in B2B suffer -1LD in first round of combat

Treemen and Treeman Ancients have S6

Spellweavers/Singers have some sort of Forest Spirit upgrade similar to the old Glamourweave

There will be a version of the Lore of Athel Loren instead of High/Dark, I have no real ideas now
Dalamar

Re: New Wood Elves: What they're missing

#2 Post by Dalamar »

I thought a time for wishlisting was before a book was released?
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#3 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Dalamar wrote:I thought a time for wishlisting was before a book was released?
8) :lol: :P
:3

I do like your ideas though Gondarion, except for the Treekin Aspects, Treemen at S6 and Dryads Skirmishing. They wouldn't fit in the current book.

I do however think that the -1S drop to all Forest Spirits was a little unnecessary, but ultimately was a good choice for the book. The internal balance of the book is pretty damn good IMO. Along with their identity being more defined and fleshed out, they have been lacking an actual history for as long as they've been alive, I've got all Army Books of theirs since their release in 4th/5th edition, although I'll miss the mystery behind them I find it better than wildly guessing. :3

Perhaps giving dryads the choice of skirmishing, or as an upgrade that costs nothing or 1pt/model.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Gondarion

#4 Post by Gondarion »

Dalamar wrote:I thought a time for wishlisting was before a book was released?
It is irrelevant when one wishlists :wink:

These ideas were merely me thinking out loud.
The internal balance of the book is pretty damn good IMO
I haven't played with them but this at least on paper looks really not true to me. Looks like they've replaced a guerrilla assault force with a more static gunline with little combat potential The only interesting elements to me are the possible synergies with the Acorn and Moonstone. I don't like the High/Dark hybrid stuff either.
John Rainbow

#5 Post by John Rainbow »

Stonefeather Owls and that Meadow Hag thing or whatever they were meant to be called in the rumours...