Princes: Ogre Maneaters may be on to something here...

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Phloop

Princes: Ogre Maneaters may be on to something here...

#1 Post by Phloop »

We all know it's going to happen. When our new book rolls around all our sparkly toys will go out the window and we'll be stuck with a handful of expensive items.
Now, I think the biggest change will have to be our Princes, since they're really plain until we add items into the mix.
So I was thinking, wouldn't it be awesome if we had a list of traits like the new Maneaters have? It would let us customise our characters a bit without using a huge arsenal of items. I'd love to be able to give my Prince the Scout rule off the bat, or Stubborn, Fear, Frenzy... just to make them a little more exciting and less of a glorified Noble.
[size=50]Track record since May 2011:[/size]
Ξ W 16 Ξ L 34 Ξ D 5 Ξ
[quote="Ptolemy"]Becalming [Cognition] is a bastard. Its a bastard child of OJ Simpson and Cruella DeVille. [...] As if having a giant Toad that got instructions on magic from ET wasn't enough, they give it the powers of Zen Buddhist Kung-Fu flick monks on top of it.[/quote]
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

Re: Princes: Ogre Maneaters may be on to something here...

#2 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Yes, yes it would be awesome.. :)

I also noticed that they get their Big Names, and 10 Items...

But on the customizability (straight from the OK book):
Scout - Nagarythe/Ellyrian
Stubborn - Chrace/maybe Yvresse
Immune to Psycholgy - Could be any, I'd say mainly Yvresse
Poisoned Attacks - Cothique (maybe from sea beasties)
Strider - Ellyrian/Tiranoc/Avelorn
Swiftstride - Ellyrian/Tiranoc/Avelorn
Sniper - Nagarythe/Lothern/Avelorn
Vanguard - Ellyrian/Nagarythe

They also get to choose two of these rules... WTF...
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Azezel

#3 Post by Azezel »

I'd like to see honours make a comeback. It'd solve the problem nicely - and given that the new Ogres book has Big Names, it seems entirely possible that it'll happen.

As for the Maneaters thing - what would be cool is if our Spearmen and Archers could choose one special rule depending on their homeland. It'd help justify their high cost and maybe even make us want to spend more than 25% of our points on them. I'd use Cothique Archers with poison arrows or Chracian Spearmen with forest Strider, wouldn't you?
What are they? [i]Swordmasters![/i] What do they do? [i]Master swords![/i] How do they do it? [i]With their swordmastery![/i]

On the Isle of Wight? Want a friendly wargaming club? Drop me a line!
Tengal Krakenbane

#4 Post by Tengal Krakenbane »

As for the Maneaters thing - what would be cool is if our Spearmen and Archers could choose one special rule depending on their homeland. It'd help justify their high cost and maybe even make us want to spend more than 25% of our points on them. I'd use Cothique Archers with poison arrows or Chracian Spearmen with forest Strider, wouldn't you?
I think you could tie this in with the idea of having two classes of Citizen Militia, something like the Conscripts and Garrisoned (not my idea, was on somebody's army list revision), so the Cons. would be like the current units (with maybe a little fixing like Archers with Ws3 and whatnot) and the Garrison units would be that seasoned they could be given these provincial adaptations. With the current rules, it would be a little awkward to just stamp a regular unit with a specialization and a price increase. ('Garrisoned' might be a wrong term here, it's just that there's a huge grey area between regular spearelves and provincial elites.)

BanEdit: also, Lothern Sea Guard could just be one of those special garrisoned rule-sets, the only one with actual equipment change while other provinces would gain a special rule. With this setting, I'd wager to give them longbows since just giving them a bow along their normal gear just doesn't quite cut it if other elite spearelves get solid special rules like Woodsmen or Stubborn.
~