2000pts Lothern themed list

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
turtlarn

2000pts Lothern themed list

#1 Post by turtlarn »

Hi everyone!

I used to play WHFB way back when, but quit once AoS hit us. With Old World coming up I decided to take a look again at 8th edition. Partly to start looking at ideas I could pursue if Old World plays out well, or if it doesn't just to get going on an 8th edition list.

I used to play the outcast cousins (Dark Elves), but now I lean heavily to trying out a Lothern themed list. I love modelling and painting and I feel like that theme could be great! With this said I scribbled down a 2000pts list I think would be fun to build. I have no clue if the list is competitively viable, but do you think it could hold up in friendly games at least?

Lords
Archmage: 275pts
- Level 4
- Book of Hoeth

Heroes
Lothern Sea helm: 229pts
- Skycutter
- Star lance
- Bow

Mage: 145pts
- Level 2
- Dispel scroll

Core
19x Lothern sea guard: 258pts
- Shields
- Full command

19x Lothern sea guard: 258pts
- Shields
- Full command

5x Ellyrian Reavers: 95pts
- Spears + bows

5x Ellyrian Reavers: 95pts
- Spears + bows

Special
Lothern Skycutter: 120pts
- Eagle eye bolt thrower

Lothern Skycutter: 120pts
- Eagle eye bolt thrower

Rare
Eagle claw Bolt thrower: 70pts

3x Great eagles: 195pts
- Swifsense
- Shredding talons

Any thoughts or pointers?
Giladis
The Merlord

Re: 2000pts Lothern themed list

#2 Post by Giladis »

What Lores of Magic do you plan to use?

I would also advise splitting three great eagles into two individuals if you have 5 points to space. It should provide more tactical opportunities. Either way this is one nasty gunline :D
turtlarn

#3 Post by turtlarn »

Thanks for the reply! I honestly hadn't given lores much thought before, but I got the advice on reddit to use either shadow or death for lowering opponent toughness which seems like a really clever move hoenstly. I'm just thinking about how I would motivate it theme-wise :D

I also got the advice to beef up the infantry units a bit, so I'm looking into possibilities to do that as well, maybe to 5x5 units.
Last edited by turtlarn on Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TyrrenAzureblade

#4 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Looks fun for a casual game for sure! I'd combine the two Sea Guard units into one bigger unit, save some points by having just one command group. Remove the upgrades from the Eagles and pare it down to just two. I'd also either make the Sea Helm a Battle Standard Bearer, or free up enough points for one, and embed them in the Sea Guard so you can utilize the Naval Discipline rule, which isn't crazy good, but if you're going thematic, it's a fun one to have. Give them the Shield of the Merwyrm (very thematic, and also great for a close combat character) and the Sword of Might (+1 S). Definitely give your Archmage some kind of Ward Save talisman. Lose one of the bolt throwers, the second mage, and with the points you saved from taking the Sea Helm on foot add a unit of elites for some punch. You can make a unit of Swordmasters to serve as the Archmage's retinue and bodyguard unit for fluffy theme reasons. Or take two units of 9, arrayed 3x3 for very maneuverable small units to support your big fights with the Sea Guard by charging them in the flanks/rear.
Morgen

#5 Post by Morgen »

Your army reminds me of this so very, very much. I love it.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

Morgen wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:12 pm Your army reminds me of this so very, very much.
Didn't that come through Aicanor, back in the day?
Morgen

#7 Post by Morgen »

Maybe! I found it on reddit.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:24 pm
Morgen wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:12 pm Your army reminds me of this so very, very much.
Didn't that come through Aicanor, back in the day?
It is indeed one from Aicanor. It's flowing around the forum here somewhere as well... It's a great cartoon :)

It's an interesting list for sure. I feel there will be armies that can do very little against this list and there will armies that will beat it into the ground without too much trouble. So it depends on what you're expecting to face. I agree with the other comments that the eagles don't need the upgrades. Their default role in the army is to stand in front of stuff heroically and die while giving you control of the battlefield.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.