Some changes I would like to add to current High Elves.

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Sinsigel

Some changes I would like to add to current High Elves.

#1 Post by Sinsigel »

Feel free to comment, but I hope no one blames me for throwing out complaints and adding much buff to the army.(Although I don't think these changes can make High Elves come anywhere close to the Big Three. Dam* Druchii!)

Characters
Nothing much. But I would like to see Tyrion and Eltharion used more often than before.

Tyrion: 400pt->450pt. Just add +1 S. For the magic items, I don't think much should change, perhaps +2 attacks on Sunfang would be favourable. That would make him more dangerous than star dragon in hitting power. And, unless Tyrion uses the ordinary cavalry base(25mmX50mm), his unit strength should be 3~4. Just my small wish. And make a special rule that allows Tyrion(and the unit he is in) to re-roll all failed rolls to hit, and is Immune to Psychology. Too cheesy?

Eltharion: 425pt.
Runefang->always add +2S, +2A. Armour Piercing. Magic armours and talismans against this weapon loses all its traits. Treat them as normal item of its kind.
Magic armour(whatever its name): Heavy armour. Magic weapons count as mundane weapon against Eltharion.
Magic Shield: 4+ Ward Save. +2 Armour Save.
Magic Helm: +2 Armour Save. Eltharion may re-roll all failed rolls to hit.
He is no longer a Mage.

Magic items
Just add some strength bonuses on magic weapons, for example, +1S for using Foebane. Blade of Reaping Gold too. Perhaps +2S and +2A. Again, nothing much change on items. Just that I would like to have Talisman of Saphery change to enchanted items, not talismans.

Core
Archers: 11pt->8pt

Spearmen: 9pt->11pt Give them Heavy Armour. +1 armour save when unit has more than three ranks("Hedge of Spear " special rule, I dub it.). +1s, armour piercing attacks on the first turn of close combat when charge by models with M6 or more.

Put the Ellyrian Reavers in the Core slot. With average WS4 and nothing much special, I don't think they are worth taking special slot. The Dark cousins in Naggaroth have their fast cavalry in core slot. Why shouldn't we? Give them longbow. And perhaps great weapon too, instead of spears.

Special
Silver Helms: 21pt->22pt. WS4->WS5. Make barding optional, not shields.

White Lions: 15pt->18pt. Lion Cloak->add +3 armour save aginst shooting, +2 against close combat.

Phoenix Guard: 15pt->19pt. Add martial Prowess and Unbreakble. Wait, is the second option too much? Too late. I already wrote it down.

Dragon Princes moves to rare slot. With only 7 points more than the shielded Silver Helms, I don't see why the silver helms should be taken except in small games. Basically, my idea is to significantly widen the difference(both cost and offensive capabilities) between the silver helms and dragon princes, so that they are more specialized than before. Silver Helms could be fast hitting cavalry, whereas the dragon princes could be hard hitting cavalry.

Shadow Warriors: 16pt->18pt. BS4->BS5. Give them 2 attacks and Immune to Psychology. The Dark Elf Shades pis*ed me off so much that I wanted to add some buff to our own scouts.

Great Eagles move to special slot. 35pt each, with 2 eagles taking one special slot.

Rare
No changes on RBTs.

And finally, the Dragon Princes. 30pt->42pt. WS5->WS6. S3->S4.
Weapons: Great Weapons with armour-piercing rule
Ithilmar Barding(+1 additional armour save, totalling 2+ armour save)
#I've thought of giving them armour-piercing lances, but then it would be a bit too 'buffed'

After writing these down, it somehow resembles tantrum more than ideas. If that's how it looked to you, please do pardon me.

Well, Eltharion according to this post does seem cheesy though.
Hama2

Re: Some changes I would like to add to current High Elves.

#2 Post by Hama2 »

Tyrion and Eltharion are both over the top. Tyrion is good as he is, in close combat he just won't die and is hits hard enough to kill something. He maybe should have re-roll to hit but only him and not the whole unit. Eltharion is great as he is. Put him on his gryphon and charge him in the flank of something with a high armour save. since his weapon allows no armour save they die like cakes under a truck. The additional attacks on both characters are also not a option. The best elves only have 4 attacks, keep in mind high elf characters are for support and not for grinding a unit to dust themselves.

for the archers, leave them as they are but make them 9 points and the option for light armour and shield for 1 point each. This way you get the archer with the same amount of points but with armour and shields.(thats how i play them with my friends)

Just move silver helms to the core

Just make phoenix guard, white lions and sword masters 1 point cheaper. (also how i play em with my friends)

Leave dragon princes alone.

Shadow warriors 17pts make bs4 to bs5 and give them a option for 2 hand weapon for +1 pts. We first tried this with great weapon swell. After i charged his blood knight with 10 shadow warriors and cut them to pieces with 10 first strike and hatred strength 5 attacks we decided this was a but over the top.

leave eagles alone.

Also get some rare choices. I use the merwyrm and the handmaidens, u should be able to find them here: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30722
Arellion Sapher

#3 Post by Arellion Sapher »

I'm against any rules which make our army more powerful than the book has it. We need to bring overpowered armies down, not mid-range powers up.

HE are tough as it is, and magic items are fine provided you use 'em tactically. The Foe Bane, for example, negates the need for strength provided you're facing a monster. They are the way they are to provide for interesting tactical options, not to make the army 'competetive'. It's about all we have left.
cidracin

#4 Post by cidracin »

First off I would say that Ellyrian reavers should not be given longbows or great weapons. They are mounted scouts and light calvalry. In general mounted bowmen should not have access to longbows as I believe that it would be difficult and unpractical to fire one from horse back. Also great weapons would imprve reavers except that I'd imagine this would increase their price even more.

I like the price drop on Archers although I would make them 10 or 9. They shouldn't be cheaper than spearmen.

18pts. for WLs and 19 for Unbreakable PG. I think changes to the rules may warrent even higher point values. Plus the PG would b an Unbreakable unit with 5+AS and 4+WS that also happens to cause fear :shock:

I like your changes to Shadow Warriors although for 18pts. I'd drop ItP and give them BS4.

I like some of your concepts but most of the power upgrades you gave low point values when they deserve higher ones.
Cidracin Greyrider 12/14/3
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/cw69lwp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg7b4jp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/v19he1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/flafam3l1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/arhav13f.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/s1efia.gif[/img]
Lord Anathir

#5 Post by Lord Anathir »

While those changes seemed over the top at first glance, the price hikes for everything etc the core means we'd be more likely to build core heavy armies with with 1 or 2 supporting elite units (as oppose to the min core, max elite stuff we do now).
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#6 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Sinsigel wrote:Feel free to comment, but I hope no one blames me for throwing out complaints and adding much buff to the army.(Although I don't think these changes can make High Elves come anywhere close to the Big Three. Dam* Druchii!)

Characters
Nothing much. But I would like to see Tyrion and Eltharion used more often than before.

Tyrion: 400pt->450pt. Just add +1 S. For the magic items, I don't think much should change, perhaps +2 attacks on Sunfang would be favourable. That would make him more dangerous than star dragon in hitting power. And, unless Tyrion uses the ordinary cavalry base(25mmX50mm), his unit strength should be 3~4. Just my small wish. And make a special rule that allows Tyrion(and the unit he is in) to re-roll all failed rolls to hit, and is Immune to Psychology. Too cheesy

Eltharion: 425pt.
Runefang->always add +2S, +2A. Armour Piercing. Magic armours and talismans against this weapon loses all its traits. Treat them as normal item of its kind.
Magic armour(whatever its name): Heavy armour. Magic weapons count as mundane weapon against Eltharion.
Magic Shield: 4+ Ward Save. +2 Armour Save.
Magic Helm: +2 Armour Save. Eltharion may re-roll all failed rolls to hit.
He is no longer a Mage.?
Special characters need no boost. If anything, they need removing from the game.

Magic items
Just add some strength bonuses on magic weapons, for example, +1S for using Foebane. Blade of Reaping Gold too. Perhaps +2S and +2A. Again, nothing much change on items. Just that I would like to have Talisman of Saphery change to enchanted items, not talismans.
So make everything better? Not necessary for High Elves.

Core
Archers: 11pt->8pt

Spearmen: 9pt->11pt Give them Heavy Armour. +1 armour save when unit has more than three ranks("Hedge of Spear " special rule, I dub it.). +1s, armour piercing attacks on the first turn of close combat when charge by models with M6 or more.

Put the Ellyrian Reavers in the Core slot. With average WS4 and nothing much special, I don't think they are worth taking special slot. The Dark cousins in Naggaroth have their fast cavalry in core slot. Why shouldn't we? Give them longbow. And perhaps great weapon too, instead of spears.
Archers need to be 9 points. Any less and they become too good.

Spears - I prefer cheapr units. If you want heavy armour, at least make it optional. Then make them even better by adding more armour, to give them a 3+ save? too much. And then even more fire power - just not needed, and makes pikes redundant. It's also inappropriate as it would have to apply for all units with spears in any army.

So cos DE's are overpowered, you want to copy them?
Special
Silver Helms: 21pt->22pt. WS4->WS5. Make barding optional, not shields.

White Lions: 15pt->18pt. Lion Cloak->add +3 armour save aginst shooting, +2 against close combat.

Phoenix Guard: 15pt->19pt. Add martial Prowess and Unbreakble. Wait, is the second option too much? Too late. I already wrote it down.

Dragon Princes moves to rare slot. With only 7 points more than the shielded Silver Helms, I don't see why the silver helms should be taken except in small games. Basically, my idea is to significantly widen the difference(both cost and offensive capabilities) between the silver helms and dragon princes, so that they are more specialized than before. Silver Helms could be fast hitting cavalry, whereas the dragon princes could be hard hitting cavalry.

Shadow Warriors: 16pt->18pt. BS4->BS5. Give them 2 attacks and Immune to Psychology. The Dark Elf Shades pis*ed me off so much that I wanted to add some buff to our own scouts.

Great Eagles move to special slot. 35pt each, with 2 eagles taking one special slot.
Silver helms should be core to make them worth taking, thats it.

No for WL, a 3+ save is too good in close combat for stubbourn ASF, S6 troops.

Matrial prowess has no place with halberds. Neither does unbreakable - it doesn't fit the fluff.

if DP's are rare, no-one will take them.

So you want to change shadow warriors so they are similar to DE's, despite shades being way too good. again.

Eagles are too good for special.
No changes on RBTs.

And finally, the Dragon Princes. 30pt->42pt. WS5->WS6. S3->S4.
Weapons: Great Weapons with armour-piercing rule
Ithilmar Barding(+1 additional armour save, totalling 2+ armour save)
#I've thought of giving them armour-piercing lances, but then it would be a bit too 'buffed'
DP's become basically Chaos knights. Why Great Weapons? it misses the fluff completely. rubbish.

basically, you've boosted the whole army giving no thought to fluff or overpowering the whole thing.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

Prince_Asuryan wrote:Matrial prowess has no place with halberds. Neither does unbreakable - it doesn't fit the fluff.
Actually, I can see PG being unbreakable in the fluff. Since they are said to know parts of the future and about their own time of death, why then would you run from combat. If you know you are going to die and you show up for the battle anyway, why would you flee / run away when you are losing.

It could fit

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#8 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Or, they run away because they know they are not going to die, so running means they live.

Just becuase you know how you'll die, it doesn't mean you don't run away from things. Maybe they know they'll die when they are fleeing the battle?

In anycase, unbreakable and a 4+ ward save is way too good.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
cidracin

#9 Post by cidracin »

Prince_Asuryan wrote:In anycase, unbreakable and a 4+ ward save is way too good.
I agree withthis. Unbreakable units in Warhammer usually are have little to no defence from shooting/magc. For example Slayers and Flagellents have no armour which balances the units out and keeps them from being enormously expensive.
Cidracin Greyrider 12/14/3
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/cw69lwp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg7b4jp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/v19he1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/flafam3l1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/arhav13f.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/s1efia.gif[/img]