Self made or changed Units

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Hama2

Self made or changed Units

#1 Post by Hama2 »

Hey all. I have been playing with the new high elves and it is my nature to add things. I do this because i think its fun and like creating new things to keep the battles interesting. I was wondering if you people could give me feedback on the things i made. Never mind the lore and I'm not looking for un usefull comments like: this is best removed and never spoken about again. I'm looking for some progressive feedback that can help me balance out the things i thought of or changed.

Here's a Lord i thought off, its a Swordmaster Lord ment to back a sirious punch.

Eanyria, The Sword of the Elves 325
M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 8 4 4 3 3 9 4 10
Equipment: The White Blade, Heart of the Warrior, Horn of Courage, Armour of the Seven Suns
Special Rules: Valour of Ages, Speed of Asuryan, Stubborn, Master Swordmaster, Ways of the Blade

Eanyria is a skilled warrior, who trained for years with the Sword masters of the White Tower after decades of service as a handmaiden for the Everqueen. After having accomplished the feat of becoming a Sword master she set out into the world to fight mighty foes she could find. Facing Chaos Warrior champions and defeating them in single combat, Facing a horde of Goblins and cleaving her way through them, Facing mighty dragons and making a very quick escape to later kill their owners in the night. Many and Mighty challenges all, and Eanyria still lives to tell the tales. After 50 years of traveling she returned to Ulthuan, were some of her tales arrived before her. Since there was no distinctive leader for the Sword masters, Eanyria earned the title: ’The Sword of the Elves’ and was put in charge of the Sword master warriors.
Now a respected, still young and incredibly stubborn Sword master leader, she leads the Sword masters to battles and makes sure the enemies of the high elves know never to cross blades with the mighty warriors of the elves.

The White Blade: +1 Strength +1 to hit in close combat
The Sword Granted to Eanyria by Alarielle, The Everqueen after she completed her training as a Swordmaster. Eanyria is able to wield the Blade with gracious skill and is capable of crushing foes with her mighty blows. Leaving a trail of corpses in her wake.

Heart of the Warrior: Grants a 4+ Ward Save

The Heart was given to Eanyria before she started her training as a Swordmaster, to make sure there was no single way she could succumb to the difficulties of the training.

Armour of the Seven Suns: Armour of the Seven Suns is a suit of heavy armour and grants magic resistance(1).

Obtained on her journey from a Tomb King Hero, The Armour of the Seven Suns has protected Eanyria from countless attacks, like the enemies were blinded on the last moment of their attack. She promised herself never to part from this magical armour even though many great elven armour smiths have offered their suits of armour to her.

Horn of Courage: This horn can be sounded at the start of any players turn, Immediately rallying all fleeing troops.

After a small Skirmish with some Dark Elf Corsairs who were harassing small villages near the coast. This Horn was found in a crate on one of their ships. Eanyria quickly claimed the horn for herself and has brought it to any battle she fought it. The sound of the Horn appeared to have great effect on troops that were fleeing. Instantly Rallying them back into the fight.

Stubborn: Eanyria is Stubborn, as will any unit be she joins.
Master Sword master: Eanyria benefits from and is immune to the Killing Blow Special rule.

Ways of the Blade
Eanyria is a accomplished and very skilled Swordmaster allowing her to fight in different styles. Pressing her enemies with great force or fending off and parrying their attacks for a great defense.

To resemble this, at the start of each combat phase choose one of the following
combat styles.

Defensive: Eanyria’s body twists and contorts like a reed in the wind, and her sword deflects incoming blows with astounding speed, making her virtually impossible to hit. Any close combat attacks against Eanyria require 6s to hit, before any other modifications, and regardless of relative Weapons Skills or any other special rules.

Flurry: Unleashing his speed and strength in a flurry of blistering attacks, Eanyria rains down blow after blow on the enemy. Eanyria gains +2 Attacks.

Great Strength: Eanyria may attack twice with strength 8, when wounded by this attack there are
d3 wounds suffered for each hit. When using this Style she can’t use her first strike and +1 to hit special rules.

Demoralizing Strikes: For each wound caused the enemy loses 1 Leadership for 1 player turn. If the
unit is using the Leadership of the General this has no effect.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really like another great mage in the high elf army, and Allarielle brings allot of reliability and survivability to the army. I changed her a little bit and reduced her point cost. The boon of isha has now a chance to fail and the Chaos bane can now be dispelled if a item is destroyed.

Alarielle, The Everqueen of Avelorn 495
M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 4 5 3 3 3 10 1 10
Equipment: Star of Avelorn, The Shield stone of Isha and the Stave of Avelorn
Special Rules: Valour of Ages and Speed of Asuryan
Handmaidens: If Alarielle is with her Handmaidens then the whole unit becomes Unbreakable.

Special Rules
High Mage
Alarielle is a Level 4 Arch mage and follows all the rules for a High Mage. In addition, she knows all of the High Magic spells, and also all the spells from the Lore of Life and may use either or both in the Magic phase.

Boon of Isha
At the start of the High Elf Shooting phase and at the start of the High Elf Close Combat phase, Alarielle may grant the Boon of Isha to a friendly unit within 12’’. To grant the Boon to a unit roll a D6. On the roll of a3, 4,5 or 6 it worked. If a 1 or 2 is rolled Alarielle failed to grant the Boon to the unit. The unit adds +1 to all of its To Hit rolls for that phase. In addition, any shooting or close combat attacks made by the unit count as magical for that phase.

Chaos Bane
Any Daemonic unit (including Daemonic monsters and characters) that starts the friendly Magic phase with a model within 6’’ of Alarielle is affected by the aura of law and harmony that surrounds her. Each unit in range suffers D6 Strength 4 hits, that counts as magical attacks.
In addition, roll a D6 for each magic item belonging to a model from a Chaos, Skaven or Undead army that is within 6’’ of Alarielle at the start of the friendly Magic phase. The item is destroyed on a D6 roll of a 6 (roll for each item separately). This effect is a bound spell at the Power Level of 3, and may be dispelled as normal.
The Touch of the Everqueen
Alarielle does not fight as such, for she is the embodiment of peace rather than war. However, her lightest touch can stun a foe for a moment, disorientating them with a blinding flash of light. Alarielle always strikes first in close combat. If an enemy also has this ability, then the models strike in initiative order ( roll off in the case of equal initiative values). If Alarielle hits her target, then no To Wound roll is made. Instead the enemy model may make no attacks that turn, and any other models attacking it hit automatically that phase. In the case of a mounted model (on a chariot or monster, for example), Alarielle must roll to hit against the highest Weapon Skill, but if she hit the entire model is affected, including any special attacks, impact hits, etc.
Magical Equipment

Star of Avelorn
At the start of the High elf turn, Alarielle may use the Star to heal a wounded High Elf character within 12’’. If there are no wounded characters in range, she may use the Star to heal herself. Roll a d6 for each wound lost on the target character, on a roll of a 4+ the wound is restored.

Shieldstone of Isha
Alarielle has a 4+ Ward Save.

Stave of Avelorn
Once in each High Elf Magic phase, you may choose to unleash one of Alarielle’s spells trough the Stave of Avelorn. This may be a spell she has already cast that turn. This spell is treated exactly like a Bound spell, and has a power level of 5.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Handmaidens of the Everqueen Personally I'm a big fan of these units since they are very versatile. Seeing that the High elves only have 2 rare troops and got loads of rare slots i thought this was a great addition to the army.
Points/Model 16
M WS BS S T W I A LD
Handmaiden 5 5 5 3 3 1 6 1 8
Handmaiden Champion 5 5 5 3 3 1 6 2 8
Unit Size: 10+
Equipment: The Handmaidens wear Ithilmar Corselets and carry Spears and Longbows
Special Rules: Valour of Ages, Speed of Asuryan and Martial Prowess
Command: Upgrade one Handmaiden to a Handmaiden Champion 12pts
Upgrade one Handmaiden to Musician 6pts
The Musician may bring the Horn of Isha to battle 35pts
Upgrade one Handmaiden to Standard Bearer 12pts
Standard Bearer may bring the Banner of Avelorn to battle 35pts

Special Rules
Immune to Psychology
Maiden Guard are sworn to give their life in defense of the Everqueen. They are Immune to Psychology.

Martial Prowess
High Elves armed with spears may fight with one extra rank to the front only. This means they normally fight in three ranks, or two in a turn they charge.

Ithilmar Corselets
Counts as a heavy armour.

Magic Items
Horn of Isha
The Horn of Isha is made out of single pearl-white conch shell, and its sound summons the favour of Isha.

The Horn is an Enchanted Item. Once per battle, at the beginning of any High Elf Shooting phase or any Close Combat phase (own or enemy’s), the High Elf player may declare that the musician will blow the Horn of Isha. This will allow the Handmaidens to either fight with two attacks (in the Close Combat phase) or shoot twice ( in the shooting phase).

Banner of Avelorn
Woven from living leaves and the hair of the Handmaidens of the Everqueen, this Banner is a stunningly beautiful creation of the Elves of Avelorn.

The Banner is a Magic Standard. So beautiful is the Banner of Avelorn that any enemy wishing to charge the Handmaidens must first pass a Leadership test. If the test if failed the chargers stand in their place, transfixed by the magic. The Handmaidens must declare their charge reaction before the test is made. Note that the banner has no effect on troops that are immune to psychology.

Taking into Account Eanyria was a Handmaiden before she became a Sword master i couldn't leave that out either.
Eanyria the Handmaiden Points/Model 75
M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 5 5 4 3 1 7 3 9
The model is sized on a 20x20 base, only one Eanyria model may be fielded in a army. She must be
Fielded exactly as described here. No additional equipment may be bought. If Eanyria the Handmaiden is in the army Eanyria, Sword of the Elves may not also be present in the army. Eanyria the Handmaiden may be bought as a Champion in a Handmaidens of the Everqueen regiment.

Equipment: Enchanted Ithilmar Corselet, Sword, Longbow and a spear
Special Rules: Valour of Ages, Speed of Asuryan

Special Rules

Immune to Psychology
Maiden Guard are sworn to give their life in defense of the Everqueen. They are Immune to Psychology.

Martial Prowess
High Elves armed with spears may fight with one extra rank to the front only. This means they normally fight in three ranks, or two in a turn they charge.

Just another Maiden
When fighting with a spear Eanyria is allowed to fight from the second or even third rank in the Handmaiden regiment. When fighting in a other rank then the front row Eanyria may not issue or accept challenges.

Magic Items
Enchanted Ithilmar Corselet
Counts as a heavy armour. In addition, the Enchanted Ithilmar Corselet grants the bearer a 5+ Ward save.

Another rare choice, adding a big creature to the high elven army and another rare choice. The merwyrm from the Storm of Chaos Book

Points/Model 200
M WS BS S T W I A LD
Merwyrm 6 6 - 5 5 5 3 5 7
A Merwyrm is a Rare choice in the high elf army. The Merwyrm is based on a 50x50 base.
Unit Size: 1
Special Rules: Terror, Large Target, Scaly Skin(3+) and Regenerate.
Special Rules

Aquatic
Merwyrms suffer no movement penalties for moving trough water bases terrain features, instead, their movement is increased to 10, and they do not count as a Large Target when in the water.

Summoned from the Deep
You may take as many Merwyrms as you have Archmages or mages in the army subject to the restrictions on rare units. Each Merwyrm is ‘bound’ to a specific mage before deployment(note this on your army list).
In any turn in which a Merwyrm fails a roll to Regenrate, it must make a Leadership test, using the Leadership of the mage that had bound it. If the test is failed roll on the Monster Reaction table in the Warhammer Rulebook. (regard result 5-6 as the creature acting really dumb rather then guarding a falen rider!).
Should the mage be slain , the Merwyrm must test on its own Leadership each turn, and if it fails, the effect of the roll on the Monster Reaction table will last until the end of the Game.

I hope you people survive the wall of text and can give me some feedback. Thanks in advance.
Elanil

Re: Self made or changed Units

#2 Post by Elanil »

Eanyria the Swordmaster is probably too good. She's a close combat beast, provides buffs to her units, and can rally all fleeing troops? You may as well just take her, because you won't need any other heroes. That's not a good sign.

Alarielle: Knowing 13 spells is a bit much considering the greatest wizards in the fluff only know 7 max. And she's only 20 points more than Teclis with rules that destroy daemonic units, nullify chaos/skaven/undead magic items? She either needs to be toned down or cost a lot more points, in my opinion.

The handmaidens don't seem too bad, but its harder to look at a unit and decide whether its balanced than a character, I think.

I like the merwyrm as it presents interesting tactical considerations. If the table has water on it the merwyrm is probably a little too cheap. If the table has no water I imagine that's about right if not a little on the expensive side, considering the DE hydra is only 175. Happy medium, I suppose.
Hama2

#3 Post by Hama2 »

Thanks for replying. I have already thought of some changes, with your feedback in mind. If i get some more feedback i'll re-post the units and characters with the changes.
Hama2

#4 Post by Hama2 »

Eanyria changed, i removed the whole ways of the blade. Gave her a normal 2 handed weapon like any decent sword master should. +1 to hit and with no armour saves allowed she's a very reliable hard hitting Lord. I have run some test runs and pretty much killed every hero thrown at her, Lords however are a different story. Especially the tougher ones like the Vampires or Chaos demons or warriors. But then again, they are supposed to be stronger then a elf. I also removed the Horn.

Eanyria changed:
Eanyria, The Sword of the Elves 325
M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 8 5 4 3 3 9 4 10
Equipment: The White Blade, Heart of the Warrior and the Armour of the Seven Suns
Special Rules: Valour of Ages, Speed of Asuryan, Stubborn and Master Sword master

Equipment
The White Blade: Great Weapon. No Armour Saves are allowed against attacks made by the wielder of The White Blade.
Heart of the Warrior: Grants a 4+ Ward Save
Armour of the Seven Suns: Armour of the Seven Suns is a suit of armour and confers a 4+ armour save on the bearer it also grant magic resistance(1). In addition, anyone trying to attack Eanyria in close combat suffers -1 to hit.

Special Rules
Valour of Ages: see the High Elf army book.
Speed of Asuryan: see page the High Elf army book.
Stubborn: Eanyria is Stubborn, as will any unit be she joins.
Master Sword master: Eanyria gains +1 to hit for any attacks she makes in close combat she also from and is immune to the Killing Blow Special rule. In addition, in close combat after all normal attacks have been made ( all attacks by Eanyria and all attacks by enemy models) Eanyria can counter attack. This is a single strength 4 attack that hits automatically but does not benefit from any other special rules or magical equipment Eanyria has. This attack may even be made if Eanyria was killed in the round of combat, see it as a final act of revenge.

For Alarielle, i simply removed the whole chaos bane stuff. but didn't change her point value. I let the Merwyrm be since i thought its ok. But not totally sure yet about the price, especially compared to a Hydra. Who would probably eat the merwyrm in 1 turn. Same for the Handmaiden. Immune to psychology, unbreakable if alarielle is in it. Ws and Bs 5 but only strength 3. With the horn i ended up hitting a regiment of gravegaurd 31 times (unit of 21 maiden) got only 8 trough the toughness, which he laughed at with his heavy armour and regeneration. I ended up killing none. Guess i should take it as a trade off for their longbows.

And i read i shouldn't be posting any point values here, does that apply to my self created stuff as well ? its not my intention to bring anyone into trouble.
fireblade

#5 Post by fireblade »

For self made units I think it's ok to post point costs, you just don't post the exact numbers from the army books, like say: a spearelf, X points.

What about making Eanyria having to join a unit of swordmasters, being kind of their leader, this would be appropriate I think.
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/afbeelding1b0f4.png[/img]
Nachri, Subcommander of the Vengeance of Vaul
11/15/8 (5 massacres), kills 227
Hama2

#6 Post by Hama2 »

its indeed a idea, but her charging into a flank of some heavy cavalry pinned by spearmen is also a nice option. It doesn't use her full potential but it leaves room for improvisation. Feel free to use her and tell me what your experiences were. It ofcourse is also a option that atleast one unit of Swordmasters must be in the army, and only she may join that unit. Like archaon and his knights.