Trickster Mage SC

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
saintjon

Trickster Mage SC

#1 Post by saintjon »

I propose Medrallin the Improbably Bothersome (or something)

I'm not big on special characters at all but I thought a really cool one would be a loec-ish mage.
Comes at level 3, some special rules could be stuff like

Fast One: Talisman of Loec for casting, at the cost of one wound for a turn my reroll any failed casting attempt, any successful dispel attempts must be re-rolled as well (once per game of course)

Shuffle: Once per game at the start of player's magic phase he may re-select his spells as usually done at the start of the game, including choosing a different lore (if he wishes) and rolling to select 3 spells

Made You Look!: After deployment (or before maybe? in secret perhaps?) Medrallin may nominate one terrain feature to be "glamoured". Place a suitable marker within the terrain piece. For the duration of the game or until Medrallin is killed no enemies may march if they are with 8" of this marker, exactly as if it were an enemy unit occupying said terrain.

Double Dealer: Medrallin may bring his "decoy", when you decide to deploy Medrallin place two models of him as you choose in accordance with normal deployment rules (I think this guy should have Scout probably though). Note that neither you nor your opponent will know which is the "true" Medrallin. Medrallin the decoy will not generate power dice, however either model representing him may cast spells from his allotment of spells and use power dice from his pool. Note that Medrallin may still only attempt each spell he knows once. Should either model be slain by any means including a miscast roll a d6. On a roll of 1 to 3 Medrallin himself has been slain, remove BOTH models as casualties. On a 4, 5 or 6 the decoy has been destroyed. (I think it's fair that if the enemy should be unfortunate enough to have this happen they should be able to claim his victory points twice, or at least claim his VPx1.5 to balance things out a bit)

Probably all of these are a bit much to have at once, perhaps in his selection entry they could all be optional upgrades for his "bag of tricks". I suspect this guy would end up being pretty expensive but potentially he's pretty game-changing. At least a nuisance and at most a terror.

The idea came to me this morning and I thought it was a pretty cool/ fun one. What do you guys think?
Jaith

Re: Trickster Mage SC

#2 Post by Jaith »

All of these rules, for 275 points and a lord choice, seems fair to me. yes a normal level 3 HE archmage is 225 but they aren't stuck at level 3. And Special Characters "should" be a little under costed :D. On a friendly/jestful note, Medrallin sounds like ADHD medication for hyper little kids to me, Maybe something like Jaque but much more elfy.

A Gambling lv3 type mage would be awesome. Double Dealer and Shuffle are awesome ideas to me, and they seem nearly perfect. i have suggestions for the other two though, just to fit the more gambling theme.

Maybe Make "Double Dealer" a Spell, so you can potentially add one more copy each turn, but the rules are still the same on a 4+ its a copy that dies other wise its Medrallin himself along with the copies.

Double Dealer 7+
Choose a Point within 18", A copy (or is it!?) of Medrallin is put into play D6 inches in a random direction from the selected point.

Maybe rework "Made you look" to make it some sort of one use only catapult shot in the shooting phase. Where ever it lands it stays for the rest of the game and units can't march with in 8", if a misfire, the guy (Medrallin) can't march for the rest of the game. Note there is no limit to how far you can guess :D. More effective but more risk. The rule you suggested can be so easily dealt with for your opponent.

"Fast One" trade 1 wound for D3 rerolls on a single one of your opponents dispel dice (of your choice) for that turn. This can be used unlimited times, and it would allow it to be abused if he has summoned enough copies previously.
cidracin

#3 Post by cidracin »

Nice character :D The cost and Lord choice really seem appropriate for Medrallion's abilities. The character does not seem over powerered or cheesy. I would definately not mind if my opponent played this character and I would use this character(unusaual for me since I generally despise special characters). Seems like a character that would make for fun gameplay.
Cidracin Greyrider 12/14/3
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/cw69lwp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg7b4jp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/v19he1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/flafam3l1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/arhav13f.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/s1efia.gif[/img]
saintjon

#4 Post by saintjon »

Cool, glad to get some feedback and even more glad it's positive feedback. I like your idea to make Made You Look a one-shot guess range dealy. Raises a lot of interesting contextual questions about what that would look like. My original idea was that the ability is based on him creating some kind of illusion that terrain is occupied, seems a bit weird if it works in the wide open but game-wise the shot is probably more fun. I like double dealer as a one off simulacrum that is there from deployment, I guess my native distrust of spell-casting kicked in when I thought of it, it would be a pain to model up a bunch of decoys only to have the spell version get dispelled turn in, turn out.

Visually I think this character should look somewhat silly and menacing at the same time. Concept wise he is an outcast from the White Tower, possessed of impressive natural talent and quick learning but too given to flights of fancy to attain the highest levels of the spell-casting art. The character is all about swindling, gambling and sideshow trickery.

I feel I pretty much have to playtest this character at some point now that I have a suggested points value.