Magic weapons!

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Lathrain

Magic weapons!

#1 Post by Lathrain »

As many High elf players may know the magic weapon section of the new rulebook leaves much to be desired............
personally i think they need to be reduced in price, increased in number (i.e number of differing weapons) and increased in power. The weapons of the Princes took my eye in the rulebook and i thought it would create some rules for them.

Chabrael 80pts – this ancient sword was created in the time of Aenarion for the princes of Ulthuan to battle the daemonic legions. No creature has ever survived the killing blow of Chabrael and many are the legends about its feats in battle, this sword is still born into battle today and the enemies of Ulthuan still cower in its presence.
In combat Chabrael gives the wielder +1 attack, +2 strength, and cause D6 wounds. Attacks with charbrael are also flaming.

The Spear of Twilight 70pts – the spear of twilight is another weapon that was created for the war against the daemons of chaos. The spear of twilight exists between realities this gives it the ability to pass between the armour and wards of those that it strikes, before becoming whole once it has entered their body.
In combat the spear of twilight gives the wielder +1 strength and ignores all armour and ward saves.

So i was wondering what other high elf players think of these weapons and what ideas other players have!
dabber
Tactician

Re: Magic weapons!

#2 Post by dabber »

I think they are both awful. Clearly underpriced and perhaps too powerful to exist. No weapon should do everything. Especially for High Elves, since Elf lords are not supposed to be mega-killing machines.
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#3 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

High Elves don't need big powerful magic weapons - with ASF an great weapon is often enough. Especially as lots of the magic item points should be spent on defensive items.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Lathrain

#4 Post by Lathrain »

Prince_Asuryan wrote:High Elves don't need big powerful magic weapons - with ASF an great weapon is often enough. Especially as lots of the magic item points should be spent on defensive items.
i disagree yes ASF and a great weapon is a powerful combination, the elves are "supposed" to have some of the finest weapon smiths fluff wise, and thus i find it abit tragic when other races have much superior weapons. plus u would have no need for defensive items if their is no one left to attack u back. however in hindsight they maybe were slightly too powerful, so ive thought of these revisions.

Chabrael 80pts – this ancient sword was created in the time of Aenarion for the princes of Ulthuan to battle the daemonic legions. No creature has ever survived the killing blow of Chabrael and many are the legends about its feats in battle, this sword is still born into battle today and the enemies of Ulthuan still cower in its presence.
In combat Chabrael gives the wielder +2 strength, and cause D3 wounds. Attacks with charbrael are also flaming.

The Spear of Twilight 70pts – the spear of twilight is another weapon that was created for the war against the daemons of chaos. The spear of twilight exists between realities this gives it the ability to pass between the armour and wards of those that it strikes, before becoming whole once it has entered their body.
In combat the spear of twilight ignores all armour and ward saves.
Rip.dk

#5 Post by Rip.dk »

the magic weapon we have is fine...
yes a great weapon with asf is one of the best all around, but that dont say the magice weapons are crap.

the only magic weapons i dont like is sword of hoeth, the white sword and the foe bane is of some use but i dont take it

the rest is good...

blade of leaping gold is a killer with talisman of loec, and it is all way fun too say "you have no armour save" too your foe and that just leave the 2 great bows we have left + the comen weapon where Sword of striking migth be too pricy.

but maby that is just me

Have fun
Rip.DK
Musashi

#6 Post by Musashi »

Our magic weapons are a little bland, perhaps slightly overpriced considering our supposed Magic Item discount.

The danger is in creating items whose effects might be considered a little over the top, and might the precarious balance between armies (well, more than it already is).

For pure effect, I see no problem with the Spear of Twilight.
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.
Citizen Militia

#7 Post by Citizen Militia »

I've had an Idea for a weapon for a while;

Minaith blades(35 pts) counts as 2 hand weapons so +1 attack and model on foot only. Such is the speed of the Prince/noble that any attacks against him can be deflected. Any enemy attacks against him that miss are deflected back onto the attacker using the attackers strength (resolve the hits against the attacker after the successfull attacks regardless of whether the prince/noble was slain).

Would turn him into an awesome monster killer but by limiting it to models on foot it stops it becoming too good, I was stuck for a name so I chose one from the high elf runes
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#8 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

It's a nice idea, but unless you do something to sort out the low S of the HE characters, they're a bit stuck. Sure you return about half the attacks at the Prince, but the base S of most units is only 3 or 4 so makes little difference, and against characters S5 won't dent a 1+ armour save.

Idea's a good un though.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'