New Special Character Ideas

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
lathian

Re: New Special Character Ideas

#31 Post by lathian »

Malhandir's Feed wrote:Lathian, You are right. It should be the Eolaner dude. Not Aislinn. Any one want to come up with rules for him? Who the heck in fluff is Lathian?????? 415 I think should be the points cost.
I am Lathian. I'm also arrogant enough to just assume that I'm in there somewhere.
As far as I know, there are only two things that deserve the fear of humanity. Uncertainty, and certainty. The fear of what is certain, one can come to terms with, while the uncertain, one cannot. I seek knowledge because I am a coward.
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Lathian/Lathiansig-1-2.png[/img]
Allerion
Librarian

#32 Post by Allerion »

Caledor might be well-represented by Teclis' rules, with a Noble statline (but perhaps with 3 wounds) and riding a Star Dragon. With a 2+ re-rollable Ward save. Also, all Daemons within his line of sight automatically die. And no Dragons may attack him, ever. Also, you win the game.
we should bribe GW to get this. just so we can go to GTs and completely screw daemons. when they complain about it being broken, just remind them of the last little bit...
Excited for TOW
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian
Location: The grassy fields of Ellyrion (Utah, United States)

#33 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

Okay, I've made something to the matter of Belanner. Also, I've ran out of names,so I need your help.

Belanner

M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 9 6 4 3 3 9 4 10

Lv.4 Mage, knows all spells form lore he chooses

Magic Weapon:+2 Strength, +3 Strength and +1 Attack on charge

Magic Armor: 3+ AS

Arcane:Bear's anger Bound spell Power lvl (3)

Arcane:+1 DD +1 PD+MR(1)

Talisman+1 Strength on entire unit he is with

Whirlwind Storm: He and Unit he is with gets 4+WS against Shooting if Swordmaster unit.

How I do? Thanks for great charaters.

Feed
[quote="Asurion Whitestar"]Thats me.....
..... semi-genius Asurion Whitestar![/quote]
kelevandros

#34 Post by kelevandros »

Malhandir- while Bellanner certainly is a badarse, the one you have typed out certainly makes him the kit carson/chuck norris of warhammer. I would never field another lord other than him if I had a choice. Just simply too good

Heres my Version Of Bellanner

Bellanner
M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 7 4 4 3 3 7 4 10

Belanner is a Level 3 mage who can choose form the lores of Light, Fire, Metal and High Magic.

Equipment: The Sword of Light, Arcane Armor of Hoeth

Special Rules: Speed of Ausryan, Martial Prowess, Valor of Ages, Sword-Mage

The Sword of Light: This near weightless weapon has served the captain of the Sword Masters of Hoeth throughout the ages, its shimmering blade seemingly unstoppable by armor or magic. Great Weapon, Flaming, No armor or ward saves may be taken by wounds cause by the Sword of Light.

The Arcane Armor of Hoeth: This intricate set of ithilmar plates and robes grants the user increased protection in all things arcane and martial. Heavy Armor, Grants wearer a 4+ ward save. The wearer of this armor is immune to the effects of miscasts.

Sword Mage: With a special dedication to the arts of battle, both arcane and martial, Belanner has developed one of the most unique fighting styles in the world. All spells that Belanner is able to cast, may be cast while engaged in close combat ignoring normal targeting restriction.
RE.Lee

#35 Post by RE.Lee »

Creating a warrior-mage is difficult because it hard to resist the temptation of giving him the best of both worlds. I think Belannaer is first and foremost a powerful mage - his swordsmanship is legendary but nowhere does it say that he's a fighting machine (he's also pretty old by now). So I'll try and limit that aspect, for balance sake, while keeping the character (I'm a little more conservative backgroundwise, too :wink: ):

Belannaer:

M/WS/BS/S/T/W/I/A/Ld
5/9/7/3/3/3/10/3/10

Loremaster: Level 4 mage. May chose any of the 8 basic lores of magic or high magic. Knows entire lore.

Blade of Bel-Korhadris: Armour Piercing. Once during the battle adds D3 attacks.

Cloak of Stars: Anyone directing attacks against Belannaer suffers -2WS.

Staff of Cyeos: +1 to cast.

Book of the Phoenix: At the beginning of the battle Belannaer must chose 1 of the verses. The effect lasts throughout the entire battle:
Verse of destruction: S6
Verse of flame eternal: +D3 PD
Verse of rebirth: regeneration

A few notes:
As a warrior he's pretty average - 3 S3 attacks AP is not much, but should help any unit he is with. For protection he only has his superb skill - WS9 combined with the Cloak means most enemies, even characters will hit him on a 5+. As a mage he's about average - the fact that he knows all spells helps, though.

Then the Book comes in - versatility was Belannaer's benchmark in 5th edition and I wanted to keep it - each verse enhances one aspect significantly, but hopefully not to the point of making him broken.

Points? I was thinking around 550 - 600, but any suggestions are welcome.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian

#36 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

Good point, My dude was too buff.

R.E. Lee, The cloak should be 3+WS against Shooting for him and unit :twisted: . Then I would replace your sword with kelevandros's sword and Armor. Then that would make a good 550 point dude. I think the staff is unessisary. I do like the book though. I'm almost done with a Imrik reborn named Eldacar in honor of our High Loremaster. :D
RE.Lee

#37 Post by RE.Lee »

Thats what I meant when I said I'm conservative backgroundwise - I don't think we can drop the Staff of Cyeos from Belannaer's inventory nor can we give him armour. It wouldn't be him anymore!
cheers, Lee

WarpPhoenix

#38 Post by WarpPhoenix »

This character would be purchased as a unit upgrade, not a seperate hero choice.

He costs 100 points for the unit to upgrade too, works like the dark elves selection.

"Name", Champion of Hoeth (swordmaster unit captain)

M:5 WS:6 BS:4 S:4 T:3 W:1 I:6 A:3 LD:9

Special rules; (other than asf etc)

Master Defender: While within the swordmaster unit "Name" can choose to protect his unit from missle attacks for that shooting phase, if he chooses to defend against one ranged attack he must protect against all of them. For every ranged attack that hits the swordmaster unit "Name" may attempt to stop the missle by sweeping accross the unit and deflecting it with his weapon. If the attack is strength 5 or lower he may deflect the shot on the roll of a 4+ and they have no further effect against the unit, failed rolls continue to hit the unit. If the attack is strength 6 or higher then "Name" must put himself in the path of death, putting his full body into the protection, on the roll of a 4+ the shot is deflected like normal, but if this roll is failed then "Name" is hit directly by the shot and takes a wound with no armour saves allowed with no Look Out, Sir! rolls allowed. These rules apply to all war machine attacks. For cannon balls switch the model with "name" that the cannon ball would usually hit if the roll is failed.

Blade of Corin; MR(1), When rolling to wound with the Blade of Corin on the roll of a 6 the owner of "Name" may choose one item within the unit he is attacking (the defending player must tell the attacker all of the items in the unit) and it is nulified until the start of the following combat phase, on the roll of another 6 it is destroyed.

Enchanted Dragon Armour: With the help of Caledor and the smiths of Vauls forge the mages of Saphery have created a single suit of Dragon Armour this is capable of shimmering the very air around it, extinguishing flames instantly.

The effects of Dragon Armour will effect any unit that "Name" is in.
Hey, does this cloth smell like chloroform?
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian

#39 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

Thats an okay Character but here comes ELDACAR!!! Should be Aenarion he's so buff

Eldacar & Pookie(You got better ideas? :evil: )

M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 8 6 4 3 3 9 4 10
3 8 0 8 8 8 4 8 10

The Eternal Lance:+4 strength once a battle, Star Lance otherwise

The Armor of Eldacar:3+AS, Dragon Armor, 5+WS, MR(2)

The Dimensional Shield: 5+AS, Discount first unsaved wound each turn

Maldraguir:Strength 5 Dragon fire, When Death of Eldacar Frenzy affects, 5+ unmodifiable Scaly save and 5+wardsave, Can't be hurt by flaming or Breath weapon attacks.

Pretty hot eh Eldacar?
Last edited by Malhandir's Feed on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allerion
Librarian

#40 Post by Allerion »

ha... thats good

good thing nobodys made a rammie. cause hed have to have a special rule that kinda goes like this:

Rammie's rambling:

once per turn, rammie talks endlessly. if in contact with any unit, friend or foe, role a D6. On a roll of 3+, the rear rank gets tired of listening and leaves (counts as casualties) unaffected on a roll of 1-2.
Excited for TOW
Ruerl Khan
High Executioner

#41 Post by Ruerl Khan »

I'll let you know that his dragons name is Pookie.
I love pushing around my small delicatedly painted dolls together with the rest of you.
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian

#42 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is so true. That made my day Ruerl Khan. Editing right away sir!
lathian

#43 Post by lathian »

Allerion wrote:ha... thats good

good thing nobodys made a rammie. cause hed have to have a special rule that kinda goes like this:

Rammie's rambling:

once per turn, rammie talks endlessly. if in contact with any unit, friend or foe, role a D6. On a roll of 3+, the rear rank gets tired of listening and leaves (counts as casualties) unaffected on a roll of 1-2.
I claim personal immunity, as I haven't yet left a convo in which I was talking to Rammie. :P
As far as I know, there are only two things that deserve the fear of humanity. Uncertainty, and certainty. The fear of what is certain, one can come to terms with, while the uncertain, one cannot. I seek knowledge because I am a coward.
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Lathian/Lathiansig-1-2.png[/img]
CrazyIvan

#44 Post by CrazyIvan »

I have been playing around with a profile for Aenarion for a while, just loving all the fluff about this tragic hero!

Aenarion the Defender
M 5
WS 10
BS 0
S 5
T 5
W 4
I 10
A 5
LD 10

Special Rules: Speed of Asuryan, Valour of Ages, Unbreakable, High King of the Elves (All High Elven units within 12" is ItP)
Equipment: The GodSlayer, Dragonarmour of Aenarion, The Aegis of Ulthuan, The Amulet of Astarielle

The GodSlayer:
"Forged and wielded by the war God Khaine, this singlehanded sword glimmers with the light of all Gods. Capable of killing anything that walks this earth, human or not."
The Sword has grants Aenarion +3 Strenght, +3 attacks and confers killing blow on all enemies, even Greater Deamons of Chaos.

Dragonarmour of Aenarion:
"Forged in the molderous lava by High Elven mages at Vauls Anvil, this armour deflects even the mightiest blow and gives the wearer a second chance of avoiding death"
Gives Aenarion a 0+ AS aswell as a 4+ Ward, against Deamons, this Ward will increase to 3+.

The Aegis of Ulthuan:
"This shield has the picture of a thousand glittering stars against a dark sky on it, symbolising the Elves struggle against the neverending evil of Chaos"
The Shield gives Aenarion immunity to poison and killing blows.

The Amulet of Astarielle:
"The amulet belonged to Aenarions first wife, and was the only thing that he was able to find after the Deamonic host had razed his hometown, killing everyone including his wife and their two small children. Now it is a symbol of Aenarions hate towards Chaos and Daemons."
Aenarion may re-roll failed to hits and to wound every round of combat against armies of Chaos and Daemons, and he Hates all other enemies.

* Aenarion may ride his faithful dragon Indraugnir for +400 points (Using a StarDragons profile with +1 S and +1 A)

/CrazyIvan

EDIT: Ok maybe he was a little weak for Aenarion, but I didnt wanted to do him waaaay to powerful either... :D I have now tweaked some of his and the equipments stats. Come with more ideas how to make him somewhat balanced (Not an "all daemons within LOS dies" character)
Last edited by CrazyIvan on Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#45 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Too weak.

You CAN'T make rules for Aenarion other than what Voodoo suggested earlier.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
RE.Lee

#46 Post by RE.Lee »

God Slayer +1S :lol:
cheers, Lee

geoguswrek

#47 Post by geoguswrek »

My take on Aenarion: I've tried not to make him "you win" but just a really hard combat character (i've left the dragon option out here so that he's on foot and so is avoidable)
m 5
ws 7
bs 5
s 4
t 3
a 5
i 10
w 3
ld 10

Sword of khaine: A sword made from a tiny fracture of the elven god of war, this sword is death to all things living, the slightet touch will melt the greatest of warriors to a puddle of liquid, it's magical energies rip through daemons and magical protection with ease.

Grants killing blow on a 4+(that works against everything), no ward saves or regeneration saves may be taken against wounds caused by the god sword. This item can never be destroyed or negated (its powered by a god!)

Armour of Aenarion: one of the greatest artifacts of the priests of vaul, this suit was designed to stand up to the heftiest of blows without fracturing.
this is a set of magical dragon armour, it confers a 2+ save. enemies in BTB with aenarion have their S halved (rounded up) and are at -1 to hit aenarion. effects that ignore a models armour save cannot effect aenarion (so the save is only modified by the strength of the bearer)

[insert fluffy name here] shield.
This shield is so heavily enchanted that it glows for miles around, making enemies wince away, finidng it idifficult to find their mark. it does however make aenarion relatively easy to find on the battle field.

shield, confers a 5+ save and allows aenarion to reroll his armour saves, enemies must reroll to hit succesful rolls to hit aenarion in combat. However the shield's light means that enemies may reroll unsuccesful rolls to hit with shooting, all spells have their range increased by 6" if targetting aenarion.

Amulet of the last star: a mighty magical pendant, this shields aenarion from whatever blows may pass his defences.
Grants regeneration. (i know, regen + immune to flaming attacks), and means aenarion may not take more than one wound in any given phase.

RULES
Champion on khaine: when aenarion drew the sword, he became khaine's champion. This imbued him with innate combat abilities which surpasses that of the greatest of any other race. The chaos gods see this as a challenge to their powers and send their greatest champions against him in a fury.
Aenarion may reroll any rolls to hit and to wound and has MR(3). All characters with a mark of chaos and all greater daemons must charge aenarion if they are able. however, such is aenarion's presence that the chaos gods often gift more daemons to the chaos general when they sense aenarion approach: if the opponent is using a chaos army, they may add D6 greater daemons to their army, equipped however they want, of whatever god (all must be the same god) before the battle begins.
Aenarion, as an incarnation of khaine, craves batttle and is therefore, unbreakable.

DaemonSlayer: Aenarion has shown to us all: the bigger they are the harder they fall, he destroys daemons almost with willpower alone.
Against models that are bigger than man sized, aenarion gains +3 attacks, +3 strength, + 1 to hit, and does d6 wounds with every attack.

Doomed: drawing the sword laid a heinous curse on aenarion: all elves know he is cursed and doomed by his blood, as are all he spawns.
aenarion has a 4+ ward save, increased to a 2+ ward save when aenarion is reduced to 1 wound, aenarion must be the army general, but no other units may use his leadership, he may not join units and any friendly within 6" is at -1 leadership.

thats pretty hard, and always gonna win all the fights in the fluff.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
GobbladasSquig

#48 Post by GobbladasSquig »

Does "effects that ignore a models armour save cannot effect aenarion" include killing blow? If it doesn't, he's pretty easy meat for a chaos lord with killing blow and immunity to killing blow.
geoguswrek

#49 Post by geoguswrek »

He isn't such easy meat with a 3+ ward save and only taking 1 wound from it anyway. but yeh, he gets an armour save vs it. (because he's meant to be awesome against everything)
now the only annoying thing is a bret lord.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
Giladis
The Merlord

#50 Post by Giladis »

For the inventive among you I present a challenge.

I am writing a campaign including Giladis and I would like someone (other than me) to make the rules based on the background that can be found here ( http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23024 )

The deadline is next Monday at midnight when the entires will be put to the vote of community which in their opinion best represents your favourite Fishelf :wink:

The winner will get to become part of the story I am writing for the campaign and that will be released as a gaming supliment sometimes during the summer.

Cheers and have fun
geoguswrek

#51 Post by geoguswrek »

OK, i have nothing better to do. I'll give it a pop.

I've gone for something designed to work with LSG units in general

Gilladis Seaborn (yes, i've given you your own title, change it if it bothers you) Cost: 300 Points.

M 5
WS 7
Bs 6
S 4
T 3
W 3
I 8
A 4
LD 10

Equipment: Gilladis carries the twin swords [insert names here], wears The armour of giladis, the lost amulet and the wings of light.

Rules

Slayer of our Blighted Kin

Gilladis first made his name against the Druchii, and has since continued his work by keeping the seas safe from the Dark Elves, all soldiers know that, when facing those elves from across the sea, with Gilladis at the forefront, there is no need for worry.

As long as giladis is alive, and not fleeing, when facing Dark Elves, all High Elf models on the table are Immune to Panic.

Above His Birthright.

Gilladis is not a prince, he has no birthright to lead armies.

No other prince may be included in an army including Gilladis, who must be the army general.

Nautical Wunderkind
When it comes to matters of naval combat, Giladis is an effortless master, he sees ways to victory when none would be normally be available.

An army including Gilladis must include 1+ units of Lothern Seaguard, however these may be kept in reserve and enter the table from any table edge on.
turn 2: 4+
turn 3: 3+
turn 4: 2+
turn 5: automatic
all units of LSG may take a magic banner worth up to 50 points.

However, being a navally based force means that few horses are available: DP, SH and ER are 0-1

Seen the World

In his travels around the worl giladis has seen all the evils the world can throw at him, and come out the other side, his presence is a soothing light to those near him.

Gilladis and any unit he joins is Immune to Fear and Panic

Past His Prime
Gilladis is a bit old to be fighting, even for an elf.

At the start of each turn if he starts the turn in close combat, gilladis must take a strength test. If he fails, he is at -1 to hit, -1 strength and armour save in the following round of combat as his aching limbs catch up to him.

Equipment
Swords:
These masterpieces of the swordsmithing art work artistic circles with each other, in patterns that are difficult to predict and deflect.

These confer +D6 attacks (for two hand weapons), in addition, gilladis may reroll any rolls to hit with these swords.

Armour of giladis.
This suit of armour imbues it's bearer with an awesome durability and resilience, able to shake off blows that a normal elf would fall to and to withstand poison without the slightest sign.

This is a suit of magical dragon armour, it confers a 3+ save and makes gilladis immune to killing blow and poison.

The Lost amulet
One of the artifacts recovered by Gilladis and his company, and gifted to giladis as a reward. This amulet exerts a strange presence, softening all armour around it.

Gilladis and all models in base contact with him must reroll succesful armour saves.

The Wings of Light
A Glimmering Enchantment lights this cloak throughout the night, its glimmering, on a command word, can glow like the sun itself, useful for guiding ships to him, and also for blinding enemy archers.

Shooting at gilladis and his unit is at -1 to hit.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
WarpPhoenix

#52 Post by WarpPhoenix »

Ive gone with a less army changing character.

Gilladis
M:5 WS:7 BS:7 S:4 T:3 W:3 I:7 A:4 LD:10

Followed the basic Prince state line except he's at a -1 to I just because he's getting a little old, shouldnt change anything in game but its nice to have a difference, no matter how small it may be. Being Seaguard and you mentionning him having a bow he also has BS 7.

Equipment: Khalmandran The Tidebreaker, Steelwrought Shield, Dragon Armour, hand weapon, longbow.

Special Rules:
Love of Steel
Gilladis' trade and knowledge as a smith has never left him, all the things he learned still aides him his current affairs, to the lowest form of repairing his own armour to field battle.

Gilladis has the spell Rule of Burning Iron as described in the warhammer rule book from the Lore of Metal at bound level 4. Note that this is an ability and not an item, nor is Gilladis counted as a wizard and as such this can never be taken away from him by any means (dwarven spell breaker etc).

On the High Seas
Spending the more enjoyable times of his life at sea, Gilladis has a natural affinity with the seas and its ways. Able to predict the movements of currents and also how it could effect the coming battle, as well as how it could affect his fellow sea guard.

Any unit that Gilladis joins will benefit from this rule. Once per enemy turn during the movement phase you may pick a unit that your opponent has moved (this may be declared at any time in the movement phase). If Gilladis engages this unit in combat before the start of your opponents next turn he (and the unti he is with) may reroll all rolls to hit and to wound on the chosen unit. The same unit may not be chosen more than once per game and the selection of the unit to mark way only be done if Gillidas can see the unit during your opponents movment phase. If the unit he is in is Lothern Sea Guard they will be unbreakable if they get into base contact with their marked unit until your opponents next turn.

Equipment:

Khalmandran, The Tidebreaker
Given to Gilladis for his success this mighty spear is the embodyment of the elven spirit at sea and as such shines with dazzling power at every strike.

Spear. Grants +2 strength in the first round of combat and gratns the user +D3 attacks (roll for each round of combat).

Steelwrought Shield
Created by himself, this shield is much stronger than those issued to standard Lothern Seaguard allthough to friend and foe alike it looks as mundane as any shield that a basic levy may be able to pick up.

Shield. Grants the user a 4+ armour save. And a 5+ ward save in close combat only.

I tried not to make it so you have to go with sea guard if you dont want to but added some things to do with them. Im not sure how id point this guy, probably 250-300 much like geo did with his.

Hope you like it!
Maxwell123

#53 Post by Maxwell123 »

Hmm...since a few people have posted their views on Aenarion, here's a version I posted about 4 and a half years ago here in the Ideas forum. Like Voodoo and others have said, I think Aenarion is far too powerful to have rules for, but if you were to make rules for him based on fluff I think he'd look something like the godly character below:
Maxwell123, Thu 18 Nov, 2004 wrote: AENARION, PHOENIX KING OF ULTHUAN
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
5 10 9 5 4 8 10 5 10

Special Rules:

Aenarion is always the General.
Any High Elf unit within 18" may test on his leadership.
Aenarion adds +1 to combat resolution of any combat he is in.

Aenarion has been blessed by his God and has the following special abilities:
+3W (included in profile) Represents the way in which the Spirit of Asuryan increased Aenarion's already unmatched determination and gave him the strength to carry on through wounds that would kill any other mortal being
+1T (included in profile)
+1S (included in profile)
Immunity to psychology
Immune to ALL magic
Immune to killing blow and all poisons.

Dragon Armour of Aenarion
1+ armour save
3+ ward save
Immune to fire based attacks

Sword of Khaine

The reason I've made the power of the Sword decrease as Aenarion takes wounds is because that's what happens in the fluff.
After facing the four greater daemons, it states that the SoK no longer provided him with near limitless strength. It seemed to me that when the wielder is strong, the Sword makes him damn near invincible. When he gets weakened, then the Sword's effects lessen also.
The fluff also seems to indicate that the more foes Aenarion slew with the blade, the more bloodthirsty he and the High Elves with him became.

I am not aiming for a balanced character here. I am aiming for an accurate representation of him based on the fluff.

Bearer gains the following:

+1 to hit
+10A
S10
+2W
Causes eternal terror (same as Be'lakor's version)

No saves of any kind are allowed against wounds inflicted by the Sword of Khaine.
The Sword can never be neutralised or destroyed in any way.

For EACH unsaved wound bearer suffers, the Sword of Khaine will provide him with 1 less attack than usual.

(e.g. If bearer has suffers 3 unsaved wounds, Sword of Khaine will give him +7A instead of +10A).

Bearer and unit he is with is unbreakable.

**ALL friendly units within 18" of bearer are affected as follows:

*Subject to frenzy and may never lose it whilst within range. If they move outside 18", may lose frenzy in the usual way but if they move back within 18" of bearer, will immediately regain it.

*Gain a +1 combat resolution bonus (this WILL stack with Aenarion's +1CR bonus).

*Immune to psychology and take break tests on bearer's UNmodified leadership.

And then there's Aenarion's mighty mount Indraugnir, one of the greatest dragons in history.

INDRAUGNIR

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
6 8 - 9 8 10 6 9 9

Special Rules:

May fly
Causes terror
Scaly skin (2+ armour save)
Breathes fire (S7, any unit taking casualties must take a panic test)
Dargon

#54 Post by Dargon »

Giladis wrote:For the inventive among you I present a challenge.

I am writing a campaign including Giladis and I would like someone (other than me) to make the rules based on the background that can be found here ( http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23024 )
Never could resist a challenge, here's my attempt (hopefully not too late)...

Admiral Giladis – The Merlord (260pts)
M5 WS7 BS6 S4 T3 W3 I7 A3 Ld10

Armour – Armour of Glory, Shield
Weapons – Khalmandran the tidebreaker, Longbow
Special Rules – Valour of Ages; Speed of Asuryan

Giladis’ Stormguard
Such was the devotion of many of Giladis’ former students, they chose to personally serve him and continue to learn from his teachings in strategy and war. In battle, they coordinate as the Stormguard – elite sea rangers who specialise in anticipating and outmanoeuvring their foes.

An army that includes Giladis, may upgrade one unit of Seaguard to Giladis’ Stormguard for +2pts per model. Stormguard gain the “Scout” and “Skirmish” abilities. Stormguard do not count towards your minimum Core unit requirements.

Forged for Battle
An accomplished smith himself, Admiral Giladis knows the value of a good suit of armour and personally ensures his troops are well equipped.

In an army that includes Giladis is the General, the “First Among Equals” unit will gain heavy armour, in addition to access to a Magic Standard up to 25pts.

Khalmandran - the Tidebreaker
First gifted by Bel-Shaanar to the founder of the Sea Guard Selafir of Lothern, the wielder of this ancient weapon is said to be able to summon winds strong enough to fill any sail, and perhaps, even quell a storm.

Spear. Attacks with this weapon gain +1S and count as Armour Piercing.
Once per game, during the Shooting Phase, instead of firing his Longbow, Giladis may unleash the power of Khalmandran to call the winds to his bidding. This has the effect of the “Howler Wind” spell from the Lore of Life (Page 118), but will only last until the start of the wielder’s next Shooting Phase.

Armour of Glory
Rumour has it that this suit of armour was originally commissioned by a Prince of Avelorn, who then fell out of favour with the Everqueen when his prize falcon perished, and never returned to claim it.

Heavy Armour. All successful attempts to hit Giladis in close combat must be re-rolled. In addition, if Giladis is the General, The range of his leadership is extended to 18”.

Design Notes...
Profile - like others I got the impression Giladis was a rather elderly elf (although, if my calculations are correct, he's probably only about 1500 years old at most). The -1A and -1I was to reflect this - as well as giving the impression of a more tactical commander (though he can still dish out decent damage).
Forged for Battle - Aimed at showcasing Giladis as a smith. I pondered long on whether or not to allow Stormguard to benefit, eventually allowing it. They are elite, and if they get the benefit, then there is another Core unit elsewhere in the army not benefitting.
Giladis' Stormguard - Aimed at showcasing Giladis as a teacher in strategy. Love the idea of Sea Rangers (especially now that Giladis is based in the forests of the Empire), but thought Shadow Warriors were a bit too distinct for "Counts As".
The Spear Khalmandran - Wanted a sea themed ability, and this item seemed the best place to attach it given it's history. Howler Wind seemed the most appropriate candidate, as an ability that would be not only increadibly useful at sea, while still having some use in a standard battle on land (always tricky with water based abilities).
Armour of Glory - Given the significance of the suit of armour in the story, the Mask of the Merlord had to be sacrificed. My justification is that the armybook only says Giladis discovered the Mask, not that he personally owns or wears it. :wink:

Points Breakdown
Admiral Giladis – 125pts (Prince minus 25pts for –1A and –1I)
Longbow/Sh – 15pts (rounded up)
Forged for Battle – 20pts (Old Standard of Shielding value -5pts for HE discount)
Khalmandran – 60pts (+1S=15pts, -1Sv=10pts, Howler Wind=35pts?)
Armour of Glory - 40pts (As Golden Shield +5pts)
Total = 260pts

Just a thought...
[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p238/Dargon76/Dwarf%20Command/DwarfCampaignBorder.jpg[/IMG]
Giladis
The Merlord

#55 Post by Giladis »

Wow, these are really nice guys. I think I will let it run a few more days to give others a chance if they are interested.
WarpPhoenix

#56 Post by WarpPhoenix »

I like the scout and skirmish rules for the sotrmguard, but would the unit get their spear bonus in three ranks if charge and forced to rank up? If so then thats a great rule, if not then they kinda lose some awesomeness

EDIT: Also would the stormguard then be able to take the first among equals rules?
Dargon

#57 Post by Dargon »

WarpPhoenix wrote:I like the scout and skirmish rules for the sotrmguard, but would the unit get their spear bonus in three ranks if charge and forced to rank up? If so then thats a great rule, if not then they kinda lose some awesomeness

EDIT: Also would the stormguard then be able to take the first among equals rules?
Skirmishers still fight in ranks (assuming they have enough models left to form ranks after maximising their frontage), they just don't benefit from a rank bonus. So to start with, Spears will still work with a skirmishing unit in exactly the same way they would with an ordinary unit.

As far as I can tell, there is likewise no conflict between Skirmish and Martial Prowess, so they shouldn't lose their Martial Prowess benefit from the upgrade to Stormguard.

As mentioned in my short design notes on them, yes, I allowed them access to First Among Equals too (after alot of "umming and ahhhing"). I'm not sure how potentially open to abuse this may be (personally, I think you'd be better off spreading the love around and giving the +1 Save and magic banner to one of your mainline units), but the available banners didn't seem particularly scary, and I made sure that the Stormguard didn't count towards minimum core, to limit their potential in small games. I could inflict a maximum unit size on them, but most other scouts don't have a size limit these days, and their offensive power seems about comparable to Shades with addidional hand weapons.

Just a thought...
Last edited by Dargon on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p238/Dargon76/Dwarf%20Command/DwarfCampaignBorder.jpg[/IMG]
Maxwell123

#58 Post by Maxwell123 »

Wow. Your version of Giladis is fantastic Dargon!! Love it.I would suggest adding a specific clause as part of the Stormguard rule specifically stating that they still fight in three ranks like regular Sea Guard to avoid any potential confusion.

Other than that, your version is awesome. Great job.
Kylim

#59 Post by Kylim »

Here's my attempt at Giladis.

Giladis, Prince of Tor Thana (330 points)

M5 WS7 BS7 S4 T3 W3 I6 A4 Ld10

Equipment: Khalmandran the Tidebreaker, Dragon Armour of Giladis, Shield, Hand Weapon, Longbow.

Special Rules:
First Commodore: So respected is Giladis after training generations of Sea Guard that Sea Guard officers are unwilling to fail their former teacher even when things look grim.
Giladis must be the general if included in the army. Also, Sea Guard and Eagle's Claw Bolt Thrower crews are Immune to Panic.

Restless: Giladis is always on the move or looking for something to do, and would be considered very active even for an Elf half his age.
Giladis and the unit he is with may make a march move at the beginning of the game.

Khalmandran, The Tidebreaker: A gift from Finubar for his years of dedicated service, this spear has seen battle alongside heroes of Lothern since before the Sundering.
Spear. +1 Strength in the first round of combat, opponent must re-roll successful Armor Saves. Once per game, Giladis can throw his spear, even in combat. Acts as a bolt thrower shot with a Range of 18".

Dragon Armor of Giladis: Made for a noble by his great, great uncle. Giladis has worn it since his first battle, making incremental improvements in his spare time.
Dragon Armor. 4+ Ward Save.
Keith

#60 Post by Keith »

You guys don't need to state that a spear give yous +1 STR in the first round of combat. Stating that it is a spear, does that for you, as far as a from a rule writing perspective.
Defender of Ulthuan