New Special Character Ideas

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian
Location: The grassy fields of Ellyrion (Utah, United States)

New Special Character Ideas

#1 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

Okay, I know that special characters that are overrated but I would really like to see a new Everqueen special character. Also another might be a captain of the swordmasters. Maybe someone to replace Imrik? As well, I like to see ideas to fix our special characters. Captain of the dragon prices would be really fun to see as the dragon princes already have 2 attacks. He would probaly be a lord. Also, do a ruler of a certain province special character.

I hope you like this thread!

Malhandir's Feed
[quote="Asurion Whitestar"]Thats me.....
..... semi-genius Asurion Whitestar![/quote]
Lalo

Re: New Special Character Ideas

#2 Post by Lalo »

I was thinking of Lord Aislinn to replace Imrik ( which certainly happen considering he appears in the Armybook multiple times)
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian

#3 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

Absoluely, could you come up with some ideas for stats and special rules for him?
choclatecruncher16

#4 Post by choclatecruncher16 »

funnily enough im trying to make some stats for him for a campaign me and a mate will be having in the semi distant future. we basically started with a lords stats and gave him hatred of chaos (if i remember he hates the norse and all) then we gave him the bow of the seafearer. we decided he should also have a special rule where if he joins a unit of sea guard he gives them the shoot in 2 ranks rule and they also gain the advantage of no penalty to shoot when moving before shooting. just some random ideas we had. hope it helps somewhat
[color=#0080BF]"I shall not give up a single scrap of Ulthuan without an entire ocean of druchii blood spilled in its name!"[/color]
[color=#0080BF]Tyrion-Sons of Ellyrion[/color]
Total scores with high elves since start of 2009.
W/ D /L
49 19 18
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian

#5 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

Okay, That Lord Aislinn idea is great. I was thinking that we should give him at least Alith Anar's BS stat and maybe even higher as he is practically the captain of the Sea Guard. After much longsuffering I made up what I think should be either a Loremaster of hoeth, Captain of the Swordmasters, or Teclis's bodyguard. If you think any of the stats are unfair, the names are cheesie or think he needs a different point cost, I will take any suggestions

Caledrith

M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 8 6 4 3 3 8 4 10

LoreMaster of Hoeth: Is a Lv. 4 Wizard that may choose either High Magic or the Lore of Metal.
Magic Resistance(3)

Magic Weapon: DragonFang: +2 Strength that is changed to +3 on the charge. Adds +D6 Attacks on the turn he charges. +D3 Attacks normal.

Magic Armor: The Armor of Hoeth: 2+ Armor Save that adds +2 Toughness. Also Adds a 3+ Ward Save against Shooting.

Arcane Item: The Gem of Power: Adds +2 Power dice and +1 Dispel Dice to your pool every turn.

Enchanted Item: The Bear's Claw: Contains the spell Bear's Anger. Power LVL. (4)

May ride a Star Dragon for 370 points
May ride a Barded Elven Steed for 20 points

I know that this is basically A super good character that is very much like Malekith, but we need a warrior-mage. I was going to put on a bow that shot 3 Str 6 Shots a turn but then I relized that that would be over the top. Also, Tyrion needs some serious work. I will work on helping you with Lord Aislinn.
Allerion
Librarian

#6 Post by Allerion »

if hes a hoeth guy, hes not riding a star dragon.

balance-wise hes probably closer to 800-1000 points. Archaeon is around 600, and archy would get whupped on.

um, if you want someone from hoeth, wasnt Belannor (sp, i know) a SC in the 5th edition?
Excited for TOW
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian

#7 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

Good point. Belanner(I can't get bit right either) would be a great name replacement for this guy. Also, you are right on the Star Dragon :cry: . Also, explain why this should be so much points? Malekith has better stuff than this and he is still 600(?) points. Maybe taking 1 off the armor save would help. Anyway. I've got some great ideas for Lord Aislinn! :D \

Lord Aislinn

M WS BS S T W I A LD
5 7 7 4 3 3 7 3 10

Name?: Is a LV.1 Wizard. Only may take High Magic. Default spell is Curse of Arrow Attraction.

The Supreme Archer: Unit he is with may shoot in 2 ranks. In addition, Lothern Sea Guard may shoot 2x a turn with no negetive to hit. Repeater Bolt Throwers with in 12" May shoot twice or shoot 2 volleys.

Armor: Dragon Armor

Magic Weapon: The Eagle's Talon: May shoot 1 shot like a Bolt Thrower and 2 Strength 4 shots.

Magic Weapon: The Sword of the Swift: May either reroll hits in Close combat or +1(2?) to hit. Always grants +1 Strength.

Magic Armor: The Shield of Arcane Protection: Confers a 6+ AS and MR(1)

Magic Armor: The Helm of Accuracy: Confers a 6+ AS and may reroll hits and wounds for arrows.

Enchanted Item: The Shimmering Cloak: Confers a 5+ AS against shooting, 6+ non-shooting attacks and a 3+ Ward Save against shooting for Him and the Unit he is with.

I know these are even more cheesy names than before but oh well. I know there is a lot of Magic armor but oh well. Advice and comments?

Thanks!
lathian

#8 Post by lathian »

Aislann rides a star dragon into battle, so shoots in two ranks for the unit he's in is pointless.

I once wrote up the stats for Lathian, with no pretense of modesty whatsoever.

M WS BS S T A I W LD
5 8 6 4 3 4 9 3 10

Lathian is a level 3 wizard, and must use high magic.

Special rules: ASF, grace, Fly, high archmage.

Grace: Lathian has a 6+ ward save, from an innate ability to dodge even the deadliest of blows.

Fly: Lathian has wings, and as such may fly.

High archmage: Lathian is a level 4 wizard, but maintains the wings used to fly by constantly applying magic to them. They may not be dispelled, but if Lathian ever loses a spell or a caster level for whatever reason, Lathian may opt to lose the wings (and thus flight) instead.

Equipment: Light armour, Talisman of saphery, the winged blade.

The winged blade:

This is the relic of the Lathian house, striking swiftly and piercing any defense in an unstopable flurry of perfectly placed strikes. It provides +1 attacks, +1 to hit, armour piercing, and ward piercing. Ward saves are made worse by 1 against the winged blade due to the ward piercing. Ward piercing also decreases a regeneration save from 4+ to 5+.
As far as I know, there are only two things that deserve the fear of humanity. Uncertainty, and certainty. The fear of what is certain, one can come to terms with, while the uncertain, one cannot. I seek knowledge because I am a coward.
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Lathian/Lathiansig-1-2.png[/img]
Archangel

#9 Post by Archangel »

in stead of making new special characters or replacements of one that were left out. Why not bring back some of the old ones like Imrik, Belannor, the Everqueen Alarielle with her Handmaidens but if you realy want new ones why not do Finubar the Seafarer
Korriri Stormblade White Lion of Burlok
Those Who Do Not Rember The Past Are Condemed To Repeat It Mistakes

Kill For The Living! Kill For The Dead!
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#10 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

lathian wrote:Aislann rides a star dragon into battle, so shoots in two ranks for the unit he's in is pointless.

I once wrote up the stats for Lathian, with no pretense of modesty whatsoever.

Not the powerful actually. Very easy to kill if you can draw a line to him... Good idea though.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
kelevandros

#11 Post by kelevandros »

Everqueen Alarielle

Unit: 720
Alarielle and 9 handmaidens an additional 10 hand maidens may be purchased at +150 points

M WS BS S T A I W LD
5 4 4 3 3 2 5 4 10

Alarielle is a Lvl 4 High elf mage and can cast spells from the lore of Life, Beasts, Light or High Magic. Alarielle Knows all the spells from her chosen Lore.

Special Rules
Speed of Asuryan

Blessing of Isha: Alarielle Has the Regeneration special rule

The Everqueen: Alarielle must always be the army's general

Equipment
Staff of Avelorn: This magic staff confers the ability for Alarielle to choose the default spell from any lore that she can cast: That spell becomes a power level 3 bound spell.

Crown of the Everqueen: 5+ ward save. This magic crown allows the first unsaved wound per round to be transferred to another friendly model that Alarielle is in base to base contact with. This wound cannot be saved by any means.

Handmaidens of the Everqueen
M WS BS S T A I W LD
5 4 4 3 3 2 5 1 1 8

Handmaiden Champion of the Everqueen
M WS BS S T A I W LD
5 5 4 3 3 3 5 1 1 8

Special Rules
Speed Of Asuryan:
Martial Prowess

Unit: 1 Handmaiden Champion 1 Standard Bearer 1 Musician and 6 Hand Maidens

Bodyguards of the Everqueen: While Alarielle is alive the Handmaidens are unbreakable.

Banner Of the Everqueen
This Banner confers a 4 Ward save versus Shooting for the unit

Equipment
Spear, Bow, Light Armor
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian

#12 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

Kelevandros, thanks for the everqueen! I think its a bit piced high. Why +1 WS not +1 attack on the champ?

Lathian, You are right. It should be the Eolaner dude. Not Aislinn. Any one want to come up with rules for him? Who the heck in fluff is Lathian?????? 415 I think should be the points cost.
t12161991

#13 Post by t12161991 »

I have a few...

Here's one I made up...

Araithe, the Captain-mage of the White Tower
Araithe is the most celebrated of the White Tower’s more recent initiates. He has reached a level of skill that no one short of a god can match.

M5 WS9 BS6 S4 T3 W3 I9 A5 LD10

Armor and weapons: White Armor, Brightsword Of Corin, hand weapon

White Armor
Forged for the first Guard Captain of Hoeth out of the remains of the cornerstone of the White Tower, this suit of armor, though made of stone, is light and nearly impossible to penetrate.
4+ armor save which may not be modified by any means (i.e. is unaffected by strength modifiers and special rules). Against attacks of Strength 7 or higher, or those that allow no armor save, Araithe does not have an armor save.

Brightsword of Corin
Forged by Corin, this sword was imbued with part of his power making this blade is as light as a feather, but brighter and harder than star-iron.
Requires two hands. Araithe attack's in close combat are armor piercing and have +2 Strength. Araithe has Magic Resistance (1).

Special Rules
• Speed of Asuryan
• Master of the Guard
The Swordmasters are deadly warriors, and of them, Araithe is the most deadly of all.
Araithe has a 5+ ward save and the Killing Blow special rule.

Warrior-Scholar
Having spent a few human lifetimes guarding the White Tower of Hoeth and it's residents it is no surprise that Araithe has gained mastery of the innate magical talents that all elves posses. Though his are small, they do provide him with an extra edge in battle.
 Araithe is a Level 1 mage and may cast spells in armor.

And another, obviously made when the old fluff was around (since updated though)...

Eltharion, the Blind Warrior

M5 WS6 BS6 S4 T4 W3 I6 A4 LD10

305 points
Weapons: The Vengeance Blade
Armor: Armor of Healing

The Vengeance Blade
Re-forged from the remains of the Fangsword after Eltharion's disastrous defeat against Malekith, this sword has been imbued with spells of strength and vengeance, to help Eltharion against his hated enemy.
Great weapon. Once per game, in the Shooting Phase, Eltharion may make a special shooting attack. Every model or unit who has hit Eltharion with an attack (from magic, shooting, or close combat) takes D6 Strength 4 hits with no armor saves allowed. In addition, if Eltharion is killed, the model or unit who dealt the final blow takes D6 Strength 6 hits with no armor saves allowed.

Armor of Healing
Forged by the great mage smiths of Saphery, this suit of armor was made for those warriors too gravely hurt to fight normally.
Heavy armor, Regeneration.

Special Rules
Unbreakable
Hatred (All enemies)
[img]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e62/t12161991/siggy7-1.png[/img]
May the Gods have mercy upon my enemies, because I would never think of it.
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian

#14 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

Okay, I haven't been a High Elf player for that long so did you make these up or are these in some other book because they are really good. I think that the Captain dude should be a lvl.2 mage and have a better sword and cost 400 points. 5 attack is better than Tyrion!
Archangel

#15 Post by Archangel »

Wasn't Belannor the Leader of the Swordmasters?

as you re re-doing some of the special characters why not do Belannor and Imrik. i no you can sort of make Imrik it the curant army book would like to see him with some specail rules after all he is one of the great warriors of ulthuan
Korriri Stormblade White Lion of Burlok
Those Who Do Not Rember The Past Are Condemed To Repeat It Mistakes

Kill For The Living! Kill For The Dead!
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#16 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Archangel wrote:Wasn't Belannor the Leader of the Swordmasters?

Hallar is captain of the Swordmasters.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian

#17 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

Hallar is captain of the Swordmasters
Woh, I'm new to High Elves but where in fluff did that come from.

The "teacher" of Eltharion is coming. How muchmagic should I put on him and how much fighting skills should I put on him?
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#18 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Malhandir's Feed wrote:
Hallar is captain of the Swordmasters
Woh, I'm new to High Elves but where in fluff did that come from.
At least 5th Edition, if not before.
basmans_grob

#19 Post by basmans_grob »

I would have the everqueen as never being the army general, even if she has the highest leadership, she is after all a very peacefull being and it does not really sit well with her being in command of an army.

I would also have the 'wound being transferred rule' on the handmaidens rather that than the everqueen. It comes across as a bit spitefull if she can force somebody to take a wound for her, but bodyguard like if they sacrfice themselves for her.
RE.Lee

#20 Post by RE.Lee »

From what I remember Belannaer was the leader of the Swordmasters not Hallar. Hallar was a master swordsman and among their leader in at Finuvial Plain but I don't recall him being the captain. I don't have the 5th ed army book with me, but that's how I it went. Anyway, rules for either of them would be great.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian

#21 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

Well, considering that I only have the 6th and 7th books I don't think that I can do much here. Sorry, I'll try on Belanner. What lvl mage should he be and how many attacks?!?
RE.Lee

#22 Post by RE.Lee »

Level 4 - nothing less. I'd give him 3 attacks personally - he's a master swordsman, but 4 would be over the top probably.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
kelevandros

#23 Post by kelevandros »

Mentheus, Lord General Of Ulthuan

Points 580

lord

M WS BS S T IN A W LD
5 7 6 4 3 7 4 3 10

Equipment: Spear Of Twilight, Armor of Protection, Sheild

Special Rules: Speed of Asuryan, Martial Prowess, Master Tactician

Mentheus Is always Considered the army General.

Mount: NightFang

NightFang: Moon Dragon. Due to their life long compainship Nightfang and Mentheus only count as a single character choice. If Mentheus is ever slain do not roll on the Monster reaction chart. Night Fang gains Frenzy instead.

Master Tactician: If an army contains Mentheus the player may choose not to roll to determine which player goes first. If they player does so their opponent automatically goes first. If this ability is used, the player controlling Mentheus may redeploy any number of units that they currently control following all normal deployment rules.

Spear of Twilight: Spear. Killing Blow. No armor saves may be taken against the spear of twilight. Once per game during the magic phase the wielder of the spear of twilight may Doom and Darkness at power level 5.

Armor Of protection: Same as High Elf Army book
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian

#24 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

Okay, I'd never take him form 2 reasons.

Number one, Spear of twilight, NO! it has to be Lance of twilight. Then its something.

Number two, Armor of protection, WHY? It should be 4+ ward and either 4+ unmodifyable or 3+ AS

I do like the use of the moon dragon though. Very smart. Isn't this guy dead?
grantmepower

#25 Post by grantmepower »

I'd take him.
Ulthuan in Flames: 13/9/6 Bel Hathor 77 kills
kelevandros

#26 Post by kelevandros »

Malhandirs Feed= thanks for the comments
The Spear of Twilight is the Fabled weapon mentioned in the weapons section of High Elf Timeline in the side bar section "The Weapons of the Princes" that is why its not a lance
Armor of Protection: Only because its a cheap 4+ ward save. Mentheus is not from Caledor nor is he mentioned as being resolute in defense, always on the offense does he secure victories. Plus The cool factor if he dies the dragon always goes berserk. ;)

Thanks for the comments Grant me power.

I think his master tactician ability is super powerful for any dragon list he had to have some failings. Redeployment of your entire army is possible one of those abilities that some players would never use, but then others would use every time.

And yes this guy is dead. He was Phoenix King Morvael's general, I like posting historical characters.
MadassAlex

#27 Post by MadassAlex »

Asfaloth The Wanderer - ??? points

Code: Select all

M--WS--BS--S--T--W--I--A--Ld
5  7   6   4  3  3  8  3  10
Special Rules

Footsteps In The Dark - Asfaloth is grand master of the paths, apparent and hidden, of all the world. He may go over terrain as if his move were a flying move, although spells and effects that target flying units have no effect on Asfaloth.

Loner - Asfaloth may not join any unit. In addition, he may not be the army general.

Wraithlike - Asfaloth has a 2+ ward save against shooting, magic missiles and other spells that cause harm.

Bladeprince - Asfaloth finds weaknesses in the foe, just as he finds paths in the darkness. All 'to hit' and 'to wound' rolls made by Asfaloth are made at +1.

Immune To Psychology

Speed Of Asuryan

Wargear

Hand weapon, light armour, Bow of Stars, Shatterpoint Arrow

Bow of Stars - The bearer of the bow may take 4 Strength 4 shots during each of his own shooting phases with no penalty for multiple shots. Against Undead, Ethereal or Daemonic enemies, these shots are made at Strength 6.

Shatterpoint Arrow - When the Shatterpoint Arrow is used, the bearer makes a single shot. If it hits, place the small blast marker over the target (if it hit a unit of multiple models, the firer may elect the position). Any model under the template, wholly or partially, is hit. Each enemy hit suffers a Strength 6 hit, causing D3 wounds instead of one wound. If the enemies are Undead, Etheral or Daemonic, they are hit at Strength 8 and suffer D6 wounds.

You can essentially guess this guy's fluff.
[quote="Baleanoon"]How often does that 6+ ward do anything for you?[/quote]
[quote="Keith"]about 1/6th of the time.[/quote]
Iridor

#28 Post by Iridor »

Yes the fluff of the guy is clear :D
Points are round about 500 or more, i think. And i would name him the "atombombman".

In fact, this guy is over the top. He can fly/move 20", has a 2+ Wardsave, and his only weakness is the combat, but a even a new player will find a way that this will never happen.

BTW: Has anybody thought about rules for Aenarion or Caledor? I guess it would be fun to play the battles from this time, with some other units then today, a lot of dragons and uncountable demons.
Voodoomaster
High Cartographer

#29 Post by Voodoomaster »

Iridor wrote: BTW: Has anybody thought about rules for Aenarion or Caledor? I guess it would be fun to play the battles from this time, with some other units then today, a lot of dragons and uncountable demons.
Roll a D6
on a 2+ you win with a Massacre
a Roll of a 1 may always be re-rolled
If you still roll a 1 the game ends in a Draw

Seriously that's their sort of rules, they are that broken
[img]http://www.ulthuan.net/archive/images/Lore4.jpg[/img]
[size=117][color=blue]"There are many wonders to the world, one being the world itself" Loremaster Hlaeitryn, High Cartographer to the Phoenix King.[/color]

[color=red]"The Slaaneshi have their Anointed, Khaine has me" Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine [/color][/size]
MadassAlex

#30 Post by MadassAlex »

Iridor wrote:Yes the fluff of the guy is clear :D
Points are round about 500 or more, i think. And i would name him the "atombombman".

In fact, this guy is over the top. He can fly/move 20", has a 2+ Wardsave, and his only weakness is the combat, but a even a new player will find a way that this will never happen.
Well, I meant to say that his movement was at normal pace, but he ignores terrain like fliers do.
Iridor wrote:BTW: Has anybody thought about rules for Aenarion or Caledor? I guess it would be fun to play the battles from this time, with some other units then today, a lot of dragons and uncountable demons.
Statline of a Noble, but with Leadership 10.

Level 4 Mage that knows all spells of any Lore he chooses, ignores the first Miscast of every turn and gets Irresistible Force on any doub-- oh.

Essentially, much like Tyrion is supposed to be Aenarion reborn, Caledor might be well-represented by Teclis' rules, with a Noble statline (but perhaps with 3 wounds) and riding a Star Dragon. With a 2+ re-rollable Ward save. Also, all Daemons within his line of sight automatically die. And no Dragons may attack him, ever. Also, you win the game.
[quote="Baleanoon"]How often does that 6+ ward do anything for you?[/quote]
[quote="Keith"]about 1/6th of the time.[/quote]