Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:36 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:38 pm 
Green Istari

Prince of Spires wrote:
You're lacking a fast unit and some extra bodies (as you mention) on the SH bus.

I agree Rod but there's another partial fix I'll discuss a bit later.

RE.Lee wrote:
Your chances are limited,

Sadly so RE!

Turn One

My opponent, having finished deploying first, won the roll-off. The Khan trotted forwards whilst the Skullcracker ground towards the tower. Magic was ineffective due to range. Shooting put a wound on the Eagle and killed a couple of Spears.

On the far left, the Helms advanced at speed, the Phoenix more slowly to gain cover from the building. The Eagle flew away from Rob's corner. Apotheosis healed it while the RBT failed to dent the Skullcracker.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:54 pm 
Green Istari

Turn Two

The Skullcracker made it's way around the tower while the Khan raced into the wood at bottom right. Magic again did little, while shooting killed more Spears and the right RBT (so gaining the First Blood bonus).

The Helms moved alongside the large building at top left. The remaining RBT, boosted by Hand of Glory, put a wound on the Khan.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:34 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

Apotheosis really helps in this type of battle. In many situations that wound on the eagle wouldn't be worth the bother. But it's going to be a close battle, and then every unit counts. And the eagle isn't going to do a lot of serious redirecting. So preserving him is well worth the effort. A pity about losing the RBT. Not so much for that single VP. But more because it limits your ranged options.

It's going to be tense...

Rod

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 166/17/95

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:35 pm 
Green Istari

Prince of Spires wrote:
A pity about losing the RBT

Yeah, I kind of had these down as peripheral (given I only had two) but they were golden in the third game.

Turn Three

The Khan charged the Spears in the flank, while the Skullcracker rumbled menacingly closer.

The infantry moved out in support.

Magic and shooting were ineffective, partly due to the Spears being in combat and range issues. The Khan broke on static res and was run down by the Spears.

I pretty much held station apart from the Spears heading to the right as a decoy. The RBT managed a couple of wounds on the Skullcracker.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:23 pm 
Green Istari

Turn Four

Ignoring the Spears, the Skullcracker made a long move to the left that just failed to hit the Swordmasters. This was actually not correct, as it has random movement but not Random Movement, as was played. The most important difference being that it's rules do not allow it to turn when using the extra movement, it has to move directly forwards.

The Infantry advanced into spell range.

The poor Spears were duly hammered in both Magic and Shooting phases but passed the Panic test. They kept heading for the corner. The Swordmasters sought cover in the building. This time the Skullcracker proved impervious to my ranged attacks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:30 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

SpellArcher wrote:
This was actually not correct, as it has random movement but not Random Movement, as was played. The most important difference being that it's rules do not allow it to turn when using the extra movement, it has to move directly forwards.

You've got to love the consistency in the rules...

It's not looking very pretty for you at the moment I fear. It's going to be hard to get a lot of points in those last two turns. And you've lost a few along the way already. Still, good playing so far, given what you're up against and your options.

I'm rooting for the spears who, from all appearances, have been send on a suicide mission...

Rod

Check out my plog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:21 pm 
Green Istari

Prince of Spires wrote:
You've got to love the consistency in the rules...

They really are quite different here Rod. Fundamentally, it's M6 with Pivot and no Marching. It can move faster but does this by adding 2D6 to the 6 and must move directly forwards with no prior turn. This is the only way it can Charge.

Prince of Spires wrote:
It's not looking very pretty for you at the moment I fear. It's going to be hard to get a lot of points in those last two turns. And you've lost a few along the way already. Still, good playing so far, given what you're up against and your options.

Thank you. Yes, a bit of a grind.

Prince of Spires wrote:
I'm rooting for the spears who, from all appearances, have been send on a suicide mission...

Their usual job is to not die, which they are fairly good at. But at this tournament they kind of drew the short straw.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:58 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

SpellArcher wrote:
They really are quite different here

My main point was that it's a pity that GW has several different versions of the same rule. And that Random Movement is different from random movement. It would have been easier and nicer if they simply reused the same rule for both.
SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:

Their usual job is to not die, which they are fairly good at. But at this tournament they kind of drew the short straw.

Which is why I'm rooting for them. You've got to love a good underdog story. ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:13 pm 
Green Istari

Prince of Spires wrote:
My main point was that it's a pity that GW has several different versions of the same rule. And that Random Movement is different from random movement. It would have been easier and nicer if they simply reused the same rule for both.

It's a powerful rule of course Rod. The machine has T7 and 7 wounds. Maybe those would need to be reduced slightly to balance out the extra power.

Turn Five

The Chaos Dwarf Infantry garrisoned the central building while the Skullcracker assaulted the one on the left.

More damage from magic and shooting on the Spears, another Panic test passed. Eagle and remaining RBT destroyed. The combat was played wrongly, with the Skullcracker both causing Impact Hits and Thunderstomping. The latter is only available after the initial combat round. So the Swordmasters were wiped out but the Archmage passed his Break test. He then left the building.

Turn Six

All guns were aimed at the Spears (who had picked up a 6+ Shield of Saphery Ward). Several dreadful salvoes later, they failed their Panic test. But passed the Gleaming Pennant re-roll!

2-10

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:42 pm 

Well, that was perhaps the way it was meant to be :wink:

You put up a fight and the heroic Spearmen did their best but the match-up was just really unforgiving!

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:40 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

Go Spears! A suitably heroic end to a heroic and uphill battle...

Those last two turns were pretty brutal.
SpellArcher wrote:
The combat was played wrongly, with the Skullcracker both causing Impact Hits and Thunderstomping. The latter is only available after the initial combat round. So the Swordmasters were wiped out but the Archmage passed his Break test. He then left the building.

I think the combat in that case was played very wrongly. There's no impact hits when assaulting a building. So I'm thinking the SM would have easily survived this assault and perhaps even have managed some serious damage on the Skullcracker. Wouldn't have made a huge difference on the outcome of the battle. But every point counts in a tournament setting.

In hindsight, knowing the defensive approach would result in a 10-2 loss, would you have picked a different strategy? For instance, go for the all out attack and see where that ends up? Or do you still think this was all that could have been gotten out of the battle?

Rod

Check out my plog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6