Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:50 pm 
Green Istari

Thanks guys.

RE.Lee wrote:
Its a girl!

Yep, Maiden Guard converted to carry the Avenger magazine.

:)

Prince of Spires wrote:
But also the DE specific weapons. Too many angles for my taste.

I agree with this. I'm not a fan of the curved blades, which is a shame because these were apparently one if the major points of the range. I like the elves themselves though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:16 am 
Green Istari

So the field is:

4 x Vampire Counts
2 x Dark Elves
High Elves
Wood Elves
Skaven
Empire
Dwarfs
Warriors of Chaos

Funnily enough I've drawn vamps first game, which is at 1000pts + 500. My submitted list:

Archmage, High Magic, 5+ Ward, Dispel Scroll

10 Archers, Musician
5 Silver Helms, Shields, Full Command

18 Swordmasters, FC, World Dragon

2 RBT
Eagle

14 Glade Guard, Musician, Eternal Flame
Frost Phoenix

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:04 pm 

SpellArcher wrote:
Funnily enough I've drawn vamps first game, which is at 1000pts + 500.

The odds suggest that was the most likely opponent :wink:

Don't know what the VC are bringing, but no shooting makes the Swordmasters happy. They should be of great use against undead hordes. Pity the Wight attacks are no longer magical.

Against and Black Knight buses the eagles should help, until you bolt them to death :twisted:

The archmage should do well do protect you against being overwhelmed by magic, too. Important to keep them down when they go down :D

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:34 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

Yeah, the list should do allright vs vampire counts. No shooting is good news for both the SM and the frost phoenix. Magic should be interesting. I don't think there is more room points wise to bring more then you're bringing. And you have lots of chaff in your list which should help the serious stuff to fight what they want.

Rod

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 166/17/95

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:34 am 
Green Istari

Thanks guys. I forgot I've got a scroll too, now added.

RE.Lee wrote:
The odds suggest that was the most likely opponent

Every round one game involves either VC's or Dark Elves.

RE.Lee wrote:
Don't know what the VC are bringing, but no shooting makes the Swordmasters happy. They should be of great use against undead hordes. Pity the Wight attacks are no longer magical.

Exactly RE. I don't have to worry about boosting Shield of Saphery early doors and can pursue Convocation if I get it. If my opponent brings Ghouls this could be a real help to get off because the RIP could eat his next magic phase. The Wight Killing Blow thing is an issue because my Archmage will join the Swordmasters. On the plus side he can't really afford a Vamp Lord so I can consider taking a Black Knight bus on.

RE.Lee wrote:
Against and Black Knight buses the eagles should help, until you bolt them to death

I could only squeeze one Eagle in but I can redirect with the Archers if I have to. Which Monster he brings could make a big difference. I'm OK vs double Terrorgheist because shooting. A Dragon or something from Monstrous Arcanum is a worry but I have 2 RBT to weaken it (no 5+ rider!) and the Frostheart can actually take these on because of Blizzard Aura.

Prince of Spires wrote:
I don't think there is more room points wise to bring more then you're bringing.

Yes Rod. I have World Dragon, Frostheart, solid shooting and secure magic all at 1500pts, which is pretty good. I'm a bit worried without BSB, considering Fear/Terror but that's the trade-off I've chosen. Ld 9 is decent but not rock solid.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:34 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

one eagle is already pretty decent at 1000pts. And most of the other units can be used as a speedbumb is it comes to that. Only the SM and frost phoenix are really key to the list. The rest are more support units. Although at 1000pts you have to be careful with what you sacrifice. A 100pts archer unit is already 10% of the list.

I doubt you'll be the only one without a BSB. And Elf players in general can deal with it better then some other races. LD 8 / 9 is not foolproof. But a lot better then 7. Of course, going by the field you posted, only skaven desperately need a BSB, and theirs is cheap enough for them to take it. Empire might be the odd one out here.

Rod

Check out my plog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:08 am 
Green Istari

Prince of Spires wrote:
one eagle is already pretty decent at 1000pts. And most of the other units can be used as a speedbumb is it comes to that. Only the SM and frost phoenix are really key to the list. The rest are more support units. Although at 1000pts you have to be careful with what you sacrifice. A 100pts archer unit is already 10% of the list.

Solid points Rod. With the Allies and Monster the game is effectively at 1500 but you're still right.

Prince of Spires wrote:
I doubt you'll be the only one without a BSB. And Elf players in general can deal with it better then some other races. LD 8 / 9 is not foolproof. But a lot better then 7. Of course, going by the field you posted, only skaven desperately need a BSB, and theirs is cheap enough for them to take it. Empire might be the odd one out here.

Again I agree. In a way it's more an issue because I happened to draw VC's with their Fear/Terror. Though at least they lack shooting to cause Panic tests (where I would also miss the BSB).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:35 pm 
Green Istari

Northampton

So yesterday I fronted up at Champions of Destiny 2, a three-game event in the Midlands. No End Times, 25% Lords, 25% Heroes. The tournament was Uncomped, all games Battle Line. As mentioned earlier, Allied Core of up to 200 pts and a Monster of up to 300 were added to your base army for each game. That base army was 1000pts first game, 1500 second, 2000 third. The event was at Warzone and was capably run by Mark Peat, who has just launched his own forum for British 8th edition tournaments here:

http://eewl.freeforums.net

I managed to rock up slightly late as usual but no biggie because the start had had to be delayed. As it happened, two players had to drop due to illness so there were ten of us:

3 x Vampire Counts
2 x Dark Elves
High Elves
Wood Elves
Empire
Dwarfs
Warriors of Chaos

As discussed above, I had drawn Vamps for game one. To be continued...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:43 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:

Solid points Rod. With the Allies and Monster the game is effectively at 1500 but you're still right.

:) The original setup of the game makes it a bit hard to refer to how many points you're playing... It's both 1000 and 1500 pts at the same time. The 1000 pts is very noticeable in the creation of the list, for instance when running into character % limits. The 1500 pts is more how many boots you have on the table and probably factors in victory points calculations.

Anyway, looking forward to the reports. The venue at least looks lovely.

Rod

Check out my plog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:18 am 
Green Istari

Prince of Spires wrote:
Anyway, looking forward to the reports. The venue at least looks lovely.

Thank you Rod. It was a little cramped but hey, only ten players.

Make Way
Game One - Vampire Counts

High Elves

Archmage, High Magic, 5+ Ward, Dispel Scroll

10 Archers, Musician
5 Silver Helms, Shields, Full Command

18 Swordmasters, FC, World Dragon

2 RBT
Eagle

14 Glade Guard, Musician, Eternal Flame
Frost Phoenix

Drain Magic, Hand of Glory, Convocation

Vampire Counts

Master Necromancer, Lvl 4, Dispel Scroll?
Wraith

25 Ghouls

19 Grave Guard
4 Vargheists

Skeletons (can't recall how many)
5 Dire Wolves, Doom Wolf
Terrorgheist

Invocation, Vanhels, Gaze of Nagash, Raise Dead

Thoughts on the match-up?