New AoS Play Test

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Andrew_uk

New AoS Play Test

#1 Post by Andrew_uk »

I don’t think GW has ever made a perfect game. But, having just play tested it in store I’m really saddened and can’t help but think this is the furthest from perfect that they’ve gone :(

I still paint but I can’t wrap my head around how GW have a healthy future. I miss my RnF.

What I found funny was how the guys in store were insistent that this is the best version that’s ever existed. Are there actually unbiased people out there that played through 6th/7th/8th AND actually think that AoS is better? I’d imagine that given how much traffic this forum seems to see the answer is probably no :(
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Botjer

Re: New AoS Play Test

#2 Post by Botjer »

I've been playing since 4th edition.

I do enjoy Age of Sigmar. Is it perfect? Ofcourse not, but it is fun, and i am happy the old RnF days are gone.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

I think it's a (very) different game and should be seen as such. There is very little overlap between WH and AoS, other then that they share the same models and both use dice. From what I understand and see it's actually closer to 40k then to WH fantasy. I think if you want something closer to WH then you should check out the 9th age.

So, in a sense, this edition of AoS is probably the best AoS game they've released. Actually judging from financial results GW publishes many people prefer AoS over WH. That or somehow 40K managed to grow a lot. But they've been posting record results over the past couple of years.

As for forum activity, AoS definitely plays a big role there. But I don't think it's the only cause. Forums in general, especially WH related ones, were in decline long before AoS appeared. U.net was already a lot quieter then at its peak. Of course, when AoS hit a lot of people disappeared overnight. But that might have just been an acceleration of a slow decline.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Botjer

#4 Post by Botjer »

The decline of forums have more to do with Facebook than with warhammer.

Warhammer fantasy battle sold so poorly that Ultramarines, that faction alone sold more.

If I want to play a RnF game I would much rather play Hail caesar.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

Botjer wrote:The decline of forums have more to do with Facebook than with warhammer.
Indeed. Or perhaps more with the state of the internet in general. I think the golden age of forums was from the end of the 90's until perhaps 2010. After that grouping together online has taken a different form. And the written word is replaced by videos and photo's and the likes.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Aerendar Valandil

#6 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

Prince of Spires wrote:I think it's a (very) different game and should be seen as such. There is very little overlap between WH and AoS, other then that they share the same models and both use dice. From what I understand and see it's actually closer to 40k then to WH fantasy. I think if you want something closer to WH then you should check out the 9th age.
This.

I may play AOS and look if it's worth it. May, may not. Will not rebase.

There are several square-based followups of WH, 9th age and other, old editions are played regularly and there are new games. It's your game, pick up your models and play.