T9A: Vermin Anteaters

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Karak Norn Clansman

T9A: Vermin Anteaters

#1 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Over on the Ninth Age, there is a different homebrew ratman army book brewing: Vermin Anteaters.

As a homage to that intuitive image of bipedal anteater-men, here's an African cousin of the anteater family, an aardvak. I hope there's space enough for all manner of mammals-turned-humanoids in this shunned horde of mound-dwellers and anteaters? Dress from Dogon ceremonial warrior attire (you gotta love how less-is-more didn't count back in the day when these styles where developed). Being fantasy, the below concept takes the over-the-top step of turning ceremonial stiltwalking into a tool used by anteater monster hunters, for you need to reach high to slay those big beasties:

Reference board:

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: T9A: Vermin Anteaters

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

That's creative KNC!

:)

Reminds me a little of the really varied Beastmen Jes Goodwin designed in the Realm of Chaos days.
Karak Norn Clansman

#3 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Thanks Spellarcher!

Haha, indeed!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

there's some nice, weird models in there...
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

I remember reading this retro piece in White Dwarf once. Apparently in the good old days the sculptors were often just left to create whatever they pleased. One of the Perry Twins just turned up with goblin fanatics one day which is how those were born.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:I remember reading this retro piece in White Dwarf once. Apparently in the good old days the sculptors were often just left to create whatever they pleased. One of the Perry Twins just turned up with goblin fanatics one day which is how those were born.
:lol: :D

I can imagine that happening. I remember reading something similar about Tyrion and Teclis. They made these two cool models. And once they had them, they sort of felt they needed to do something extra with them. Which is how their whole lore sort of was thought of.

It's the difference between being a young, enterprising company and being an established million euro company listed on a stock exchange. As things grow, processes are formalized and structured. Which is great in some regards. But perhaps stops some of the more "extreme" ideas of coming into existence.

I think perhaps this is one of the reasons (or the main one) for the existence of Forge World. They basically seem like a branch of GW which still thinks of wild ideas and just builds them, without really caring too much about sales trends and books and everything. Just "come up with the coolest miniatures ever and build them".

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Karak Norn Clansman

#7 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Yep, that's still Forgeworld!

I'm sure I read somewhere in a WD that Squigs came about that way: Suddenly a sculptor just showed up with them, sculpted at home if memory serves.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:I can imagine that happening. I remember reading something similar about Tyrion and Teclis. They made these two cool models. And once they had them, they sort of felt they needed to do something extra with them. Which is how their whole lore sort of was thought of.
Somewhere I’ve got The Gothic and the Eldritch, the big black Jez Goodwin sketch collection. The concepts are there, the guy we know as ‘Teclis’ is labelled ‘Elf Mage’ I think. I also think JG pretty much created the Skaven as a Warhammer race from scratch.
Karak Norn Clansman wrote:I'm sure I read somewhere in a WD that Squigs came about that way: Suddenly a sculptor just showed up with them, sculpted at home if memory serves.
The earliest I remember Squigs is from the three Ork books released towards the end of 1st edition 40K, roughly 1990? "Squiggly Beasts" sticks in the memory.